Author Topic: The Bay Area  (Read 1477 times)

scroogemcduckin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
The Bay Area
« on: February 03, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »
Taking a trip to the Bay Area next week.  Can anyone recommend some good parks and skate shops to hit up?

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
Re: The Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 07:14:43 PM »
Taking a trip to the Bay Area next week.  Can anyone recommend some good parks and skate shops to hit up?
Definitely check out 510 skate shop in Berkeley, Telegraph has some cool spots around it and the Berkeley park is pretty fun too. FTC in SF is dope too, the Waller St. ledges are super close and real fun.
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 07:24:52 PM »
^^^510 is a must visit as far as shops go. Have fun, I'm jealous!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

scroogemcduckin

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »
Thanks guys!  I've heard of 510.  I'll try to check them out.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 02:54:37 AM »
For sure, you won't have trouble finding things to skate. I personally had a lot of fun at EMB the last few years in SF. There's also 3 up 3 down, Ft. Miley, and 3rd and Army, more very famous stuff.

My favorite park to skate there was personally Waller like Manny suggested, but SoMa skatepark is a good time too.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
If you're up for it the Twin Peaks hill bomb is timeless and something hard to replicate anywhere else. Or if you're looking for something a little more mellow, bomb the hills in the Sunset down to the beach (Moraga is a good one). Lands End too.

SF has all kinds of legendary spots but there's nothing quite like the hills out there.

scroogemcduckin

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »
If you're up for it the Twin Peaks hill bomb is timeless and something hard to replicate anywhere else. Or if you're looking for something a little more mellow, bomb the hills in the Sunset down to the beach (Moraga is a good one). Lands End too.

SF has all kinds of legendary spots but there's nothing quite like the hills out there.

Cool, I will try to check it out.  Thanks!

ballintoohard

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 04:16:44 PM »
I don’t think going out to 510 just to go to a shop is worth it. Its not iconic like FTC and they don’t stock much unique to them although it’s a good local. The red park in San Mateo is fun. I’d add Oakland Courthouse as a good spot close to BART, maybe the ledges at the Coast Guard dock in Alameda, you could also check out Hollis St in Emeryville has mixed reviews but is East Bay as well.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 05:53:54 PM »
I don’t think going out to 510 just to go to a shop is worth it. Its not iconic like FTC and they don’t stock much unique to them although it’s a good local. The red park in San Mateo is fun. I’d add Oakland Courthouse as a good spot close to BART, maybe the ledges at the Coast Guard dock in Alameda, you could also check out Hollis St in Emeryville has mixed reviews but is East Bay as well.
And while you’re out there, be sure to hit up the USS Hornet bank-to-curb.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ballintoohard

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »
Also just skating either direction on Embarcadero/the piers is fun. Going north there is an obvious curb and double set spot, going south you can’t miss a bunch of gaps, ledges, banks.

Also I’m blanking on the name but the spot with ledges and the metal coping.

Black Rock is worth going to.

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
There is this guy on Youtube that tours streets spots and parks mostly around the bay area.

Street spots playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgyjKFzeIM&list=PL0rY3LCxt21EaGb2CbJkWw8zjTLmB0IIa

Parks playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqnlgkvQHPI&list=PL0rY3LCxt21HBleLyJ508cF9Wg94t3clS

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
There is this guy on Youtube that tours streets spots and parks mostly around the bay area.

Street spots playlist:

Parks playlist:

Looks like the embeds screw up the playlists.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SkateIntel/playlists

shredslap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »
I don’t think going out to 510 just to go to a shop is worth it. Its not iconic like FTC and they don’t stock much unique to them
This mans most likely got cool-guyed at 510. They do stock unique stuff to them... Homemix, No Focus Arts, Turkey Neck, etc.........   Lots of rad people there and rad skater creations too.

scroogemcduckin

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 10:24:33 PM »

Stopped by FTC today.  I think I came here on my last trip, but didn't remember that the store I went into back then was actually FTC.  Yea, they didn't have much merch to be honest.  Probably due to shortages.  For anyone else planning to go there, it's limited to 4 people a time.

As far as a skate park,  I'll try to check out San Mateo before I leave.

scroogemcduckin

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 10:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t think going out to 510 just to go to a shop is worth it. Its not iconic like FTC and they don’t stock much unique to them
[close]
This mans most likely got cool-guyed at 510. They do stock unique stuff to them... Homemix, No Focus Arts, Turkey Neck, etc.........   Lots of rad people there and rad skater creations too.

Cool.  Either way, I may check it out.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 01:22:00 AM »
Red park is in deep east San Jose. San Mateo is the tiny pier 7 replica park. If you're on the peninsula, you can hit San Mateo, Foster City, and Redwood City all in a couple of hours, then hit up Atlas. They're all fun. Foster City is small but has a fun bank/wall ride thing. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBoE6p-NBxp/

Fremont Park on the other side of the bay is incredible, but it's in Fremont.
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/fremontskatepark/

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Red park is in deep east San Jose. San Mateo is the tiny pier 7 replica park. If you're on the peninsula, you can hit San Mateo, Foster City, and Redwood City all in a couple of hours, then hit up Atlas. They're all fun. Foster City is small but has a fun bank/wall ride thing. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBoE6p-NBxp/

Fremont Park on the other side of the bay is incredible, but it's in Fremont.
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/fremontskatepark/

If you listen to the solid advice above you should also travel a few more minutes to Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale skatepark is super chill and has great flow, about 20 minutes west of San Jose.

ballintoohard

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 10:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely have, but still go there cuz it probably just comes down to specific personalities not mixing. My rec was more based on “if you have limited time and are combining spots to skate and visit” I’m not sure I’d trek that far.

Atlas is rad and has good people, I’d probably say the same for them although they tend to have slightly different stock and more shoe variety if that’s your thing.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
There is no reason to cross the bay to go to 510. It's a cool shop to have in the east bay but going to FTC and/or Atlas is more than enough.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 02:26:24 PM »
There is no reason to cross the bay to go to 510. It's a cool shop to have in the east bay but going to FTC and/or Atlas is more than enough.

No east bay love, eh? I'd agree if op doesn't want to explore Oakland or Berkeley, but I think having a desire to explore east bay and the time to visit is a good enough reason to stop in a shop like 510. FTC really is the must-visit.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 12:49:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No east bay love, eh? I'd agree if op doesn't want to explore Oakland or Berkeley, but I think having a desire to explore east bay and the time to visit is a good enough reason to stop in a shop like 510. FTC really is the must-visit.

I haven't been to 510 in years; do they still have the 2 spaces? I imagine Berkeley is pretty quiet and closed from covid, and not worth checking out. Can't really wander around if nothing's open.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 07:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven't been to 510 in years; do they still have the 2 spaces? I imagine Berkeley is pretty quiet and closed from covid, and not worth checking out. Can't really wander around if nothing's open.

They still got the two spaces, but only one of them is open.

scroogemcduckin

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 10:07:59 PM »
Trip is coming to an end.  Shops I visited were 510, FTC, Mission Skateshop, and the front door of DLX.  Parks I visited were Berkley and SoMa. 

I spent the whole morning at SoMa today.  Really liked 510 and SoMa.

I'll have to check out the other places next time.  Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.