Author Topic: Counterfeit Gear Thread in Shoes & Gear  (Read 345 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Counterfeit Gear Thread in Shoes & Gear
« on: February 03, 2021, 11:29:27 PM »

Hi mods, thinking of doing a thread dedicated to spotting counterfeit gear on Shoes & Gear. Mbrimson and I are seeing a lot of it in our region (Asia, Oceania) and it's likely to spread to the rest of the world soon. Some of the guys on there seemed bummed we were talking about counterfeits and us even buying it to test it out was wrong. My purpose isn't to encourage people to ride support counterfeits, but I believe in buying it so we can have a close up look for telltale signs of fuckery, and how they perform so you know what your $35 is getting you.

Asking if that is the right section of the forum or if it would get taken down.

Thanks!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

admin

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 889
Re: Counterfeit Gear Thread in Shoes & Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:18:54 AM »

Can you point to the places where you started doing this so I can see context as to why they are upset? Also, I think this could be a valuable tool, and more recently we started a "Child Board" in the Skate Questions called "Trick Tips" to help separate those similar but different areas of discussion.

Do you think a similar discussion area where known counterfeiters, how to spot counterfeits, and other topics related to gear but not directly about legitimate gear would be beneficial?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:15:50 AM »

I can't believe these posts with the fake spits/indys/ventures...wow.

Y'all wack for buying that shit

Expand Quote
Y'all wack for buying that shit
[close]

The "bought em to test em" explanation feels kinda stupid. You gave them money, they gonna keep doing that. Everybody always ends up using that excuse, but what if the wheels/trucks/bearings were any good? Or even decent? You all would totally buy them again and be taking more money away from skateboarding.

My money used to be tight, but i would rather skate 30mm flatspotted Spitfires than order some cheap trash from ebay.

I don't think a child board is necessary at this point, while there is a lot of counterfeit products floating around, its just a few items that the counterfeiters have zoned in on:
Deck - Baker, Girl, Chocolate, Zero, Flip, Toy Machine, Foundation
Wheels - Spitfire
Bearings - Bones Reds / Swiss / Super Reds
Trucks - Indy 139 / 144 Hollow Variants

A separate section would be good within Shoes & Gear, I just don't want to send the wrong message to the community that I'm endorsing the product. I've done a series of videos on my IG on how to spot fake Spitfires and the people who have seen it were able to spot details I missed out. Posters like Mbrinson have also been helpful in linking shops on Ebay and sharing his experiences when dealing with them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

admin

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 889
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »

Would you be willing to poll the community to see their opinion. If they are for a separate section in Shoes & Gear, or just a stickied topic to keep it consolidated. Maybe also a way to alleviate concerns, is to not directly say "This companies fake indies have X,Y,X and are good/bad quality" but rather just stay generalized as to not be promoting the specific stores/knock off brands. Also, maybe a stickied topic could start with a long first post that explains the intentions, rules, and standards you apply to the counterfeits you purchase to alert the community. As in, we never buy twice from the same place, we don't advertise the stores, or other stipulations that might put the community at ease a bit as to showing your endeavor is truly only intended to benefit the community, benefit the true brands, and not benefit these counterfeits.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:29:43 PM »

Would you be willing to poll the community to see their opinion. If they are for a separate section in Shoes & Gear, or just a stickied topic to keep it consolidated. Maybe also a way to alleviate concerns, is to not directly say "This companies fake indies have X,Y,X and are good/bad quality" but rather just stay generalized as to not be promoting the specific stores/knock off brands. Also, maybe a stickied topic could start with a long first post that explains the intentions, rules, and standards you apply to the counterfeits you purchase to alert the community. As in, we never buy twice from the same place, we don't advertise the stores, or other stipulations that might put the community at ease a bit as to showing your endeavor is truly only intended to benefit the community, benefit the true brands, and not benefit these counterfeits.

The poll sounds like a good idea, I'll work on that later in the evening after work. Thanks for the suggestion!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »

I know I just collect posts and links from private sellers on ebay or even known fake online shops, which compare products and show fakes, so no one would really have any issues with that, especially when those sort of people are not really that knowledgeable about any of the products they have - ask them questions and they just don't know answers.

I could definitely see it as a problem if people were calling out existing shops and saying not to buy from them, but so far that has only happened with a couple of the more "young and hot headed" posters who have either deleted their posts or put in an edit that they were wrong when it was pointed out to them, so I can't see that as an issue.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 08:26:14 PM »

Just chiming in here: I would definitely be visiting this thread/topic/whatevs frequently, because... curiosity.
Please can we have?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?