Author Topic: The Shoes & Gear thread Pals  (Read 1258 times)

Surf The Earth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
The Shoes & Gear thread Pals
« on: February 05, 2021, 12:34:17 PM »
All the regulars in the Shoes & Gear threads have helped me out a bunch with their encouraging attitudes, and deep product knowledge. it's easy to get burnt on all the gossip and non sense on SLAP, and this section of the forum has been where I find my self scrolling a lot lately. So to every one who has contributed to all the great stuff on there, Thank you, Thank you.

Shalom
Proverbs 27:17

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Shoes & Gear thread Pals
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »
Definitely agree. That board is a fount of knowledge. I've learned so much stuff that I otherwise probably wouldn't have known about wheelbase, woodshops, the intricacies of trucks and truck setups, wheels and everything else. That and Photos/Video are exemplars of how good Slap can be and are the purest in terms of being about skating. Other boards have good discussion too depending on who's posting but tend to get bogged down in politics and gossip. After that the Music, Events/Classifieds and Whatever sections are pretty cool too.

Fhk

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 02:09:26 PM »
I made it to like 970 posts but then the UWTB and Whatever sections gained my attention and eventually led to my demise(focus).. It was like a trainwreck, I knew not to look but I turned my head anyways..the negativity and hatred was too much for me.. However missing the normal fellas I interacted with in Shoes and Gear brought me back. There's so many good homeys on here, and I have also had amazing conversations/transactions while buying/swapping shit in the Classifieds too. I have been back for a week and am already spending too much time on here, and laughing my ass off doing it.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 05:01:09 PM »
Nothing but love for the S&G homies.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
There are some human encyclopedias of equipment on there. Specifically worthy of recognition are the improbably named @Buttfart Rapedick & the even more improbably named @Mbrimson88 who, between them have a solid opinion on pert near any piece of gear related minutiae you could conceive of to wonder about. 
I love eavesdropping on the truck madness convo & discussions about the merits/benefits of 1/16th of an inch reduction in wheelbase.
God bless them all, each & every one of them.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 11:25:53 PM »
It's a funny one, but as others have said, you can get so caught up in the other areas of Slap, but especially with covid and staying at home, this has become a place to share knowledge and (for me at least) try to help people with skateboard related things, seeing as it has been my life for the last XXX decades...

I think too there has often been some heated arguments over what is better, but there is also a lot of personal perspective that goes with that, and working in a skate shop is somewhere you have to be more objective overall, compared to just pushing your own preferred brands on everyone.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 03:10:28 AM »
Yep. Truck/wheelbase rabbit hole blew my mind but I think I've come to grips with it and and have a strategy/gameplan/lifestyle sorted out.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 10:54:35 AM »
I love skateboards almost as much as I love skateboarding. I love looking at the marks on my board and how my trucks and wheels wear down... Yeah... I like to spend time in the S and G thread...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »
I get as much frustration as I do joy out of gear madness.

Seriously think I over think it sometimes.

But I'd be lost without the gear section and the regular guys that know they're shit. Cheers!
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 03:48:10 PM »
Thank you sales thread for teaching me how to shop like a mom of three.

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 06:13:09 PM »
There are some human encyclopedias of equipment on there. Specifically worthy of recognition are the improbably named @Buttfart Rapedick & the even more improbably named @Mbrimson88 who, between them have a solid opinion on pert near any piece of gear related minutiae you could conceive of to wonder about. 
I love eavesdropping on the truck madness convo & discussions about the merits/benefits of 1/16th of an inch reduction in wheelbase.

Xen too!

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 07:26:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen too!
Yes, and @Xen too.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 07:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen too!
[close]
Yes, and @Xen too.

Thanks dudes! It's less helping you all and more about venting/making myself feel better about the madness! :P It's like AA for skate gear...

I will say this, NOT reading the gear threads about WB and trucks (I swear this forum as mentally crippled some of us this year) helps somewhat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen too!
[close]
Yes, and @Xen too.
[close]

Thanks dudes! It's less helping you all and more about venting/making myself feel better about the madness! :P It's like AA for skate gear...

I will say this, NOT reading the gear threads about WB and trucks (I swear this forum as mentally crippled some of us this year) helps somewhat.

It is a good mix of everything, not going too hard or over doing it!

Always good to get strong, well articulated opinions too, as it is way more interesting to read.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 08:03:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen too!

Xen is the only dude on here who might own more gear than me. I don't think there's a truck he hasn't tried yet.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 02:47:30 AM »
yeah these guys are crazy haha! Meanwhile I've stuck with ventures and bones hardcore ever since I started. I have great difficulty resisting the temptation of trying every single thing these madmen discuss though.

Shalom!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 07:15:24 AM »
yeah these guys are crazy haha! Meanwhile I've stuck with ventures and bones hardcore ever since I started. I have great difficulty resisting the temptation of trying every single thing these madmen discuss though.

Shalom!

It is rather funny sometimes to see how much stuff any one man has tried in his life.  I definitely have what I skate and stick to that, but I also see a lot, I stand on every board I get my hands on, try different setups that others have and keep an eye and ear out for information, never to play "I know more than you" type games, but just to stay informed and to help people, especially since covid closed the physical skate shop I was in, so now I dabble here and help with other local things in my area, more than anything else.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »
Yes! This is true...i have spent too much time on forums in my life and the S&G section is equivalent to some of better forum communities I’ve been part of.

I never get into the politics and gossip sections of the forums...too many nameless people on keyboards with opinions...bad recipes for negativity which i dont need in life. 

But the S&G section, this one and music section are great...you all have made my return to skating more enjoyable!