Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 35759 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2021, 01:42:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Etnies Michelin Maranas (Joslin colorway BLK/GUM) just arrived. Straight out of the box they are lightyears more comfortable for my feet than the 1010s; the Maranas feel more broken in new than the 1010s do after 6+hours skating and 10 ish hours of walking around, albeit at the cost of just feeling like a 'generic' skate shoe (not a dig, just an observation).
[close]

Just wrapped up a few hours in them on the board, feel great, already breaking in nicely. Again, PM for a good deal on those 1010s.
[close]

I almost exclusively skate etnies Marana/Joslin, so I'm stoked someone else digs em!  I agree with your observation, they're definitely a "no frills" workhorse skate shoe. Get the job done and don't look hideous, but aren't some sleek neck turners when you see em. That's what sold them for me. They aren't distracting to look at while skating and I regularly recommend them to people on here because of that.

Also, let's peep that on foot shot in the shoe wearing thread haha!

Second session, didn't even think about adjusting/or feel like I was in new shoes; sure they're not fully broken in but no pinching, heel slip, etc. Very grippy and no toe cap not interference with kicklips. Pretty happy with them...my ankles were a little sore today after the session, but it could be to the stupid long feebles forcing an awkward foot position.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:55:37 PM by Xen »

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2021, 03:23:02 PM »
I've skated Nike GT Blazers for years but recently swapped to Vans Half Cab Pros.  They're way more comfy, but I find myself skating worse in them as i'm so used to the paper thin Nikes.  I want more support still thought than the Nikes, so i'm looking at Cup soles.  What Cup soles give a good middle ground?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »
I've skated Nike GT Blazers for years but recently swapped to Vans Half Cab Pros.  They're way more comfy, but I find myself skating worse in them as i'm so used to the paper thin Nikes.  I want more support still thought than the Nikes, so i'm looking at Cup soles.  What Cup soles give a good middle ground?

New Balance 440's are a pretty good middle ground.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2021, 12:10:54 AM »
^^ Es Swift 1.5 and Accel Slim Plus sound like good options. NB# 440, Kalis S if you don't mind the sock-like fit and lace loops, Lakai Atlantic/Carrol, and possibly the Nike GTS Return.
Super Champion Fun Zone

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:48 AM »
^^ Es Swift 1.5 and Accel Slim Plus sound like good options. NB# 440, Kalis S if you don't mind the sock-like fit and lace loops, Lakai Atlantic/Carrol, and possibly the Nike GTS Return.
Add Legacy slims to that list. One of the best shoes out.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
I am currently skating the és evant. I like it alot. A very solid shoe for a wide foot. It is basicly a re-issue of the koston 3.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Add Legacy slims to that list. One of the best shoes out.

Will take your word for it - had a 30% off one item code and nabbed the BLK/WHT/REDs for $45 shipped

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2021, 09:10:35 PM »
Might be worth checking out Nike Team Classics or GTS Return. Team Classics felt minimal but supportive and way more durable than I would’ve expected. The sole wore down before the suede or the other fabric gave out. Just started skating a pair of GTS today and although they feel a bit stiffer, they’re super light and stable. We’ll see how they wear.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2021, 12:12:39 AM »
Sweet, thanks. Never seen the GTS before and just aesthetics alone, they look sick. Like a slim dunk. Need to go try some on.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2021, 03:37:05 AM »
There really is no Nike made Dunk analog.

Just from looks, it appears that the Adidas Forum 84 ADV is Dunk-like.

I got the GTS thinking the same thing, but it breaks down pretty fast and ends up feeling a bit floppy and squishy.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2021, 01:09:38 AM »
Can anyone who has/had a pair of Tiago 1010 comment on the width of the shoe?

I'm struggling to find any gen on that specifically... my feet are pretty narrow from the ankle right down to the forefoot, and in the forefoot I tend to slide side to side in a lot of shoes, especially DCs.

I'm in Tyshawns at the moment which are great as they are narrow all through the shoe.... but like the look of the 1010s.

So yeah, how do they come up? Wide/average/narrow?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2021, 05:54:05 AM »
Can anyone who has/had a pair of Tiago 1010 comment on the width of the shoe?

I'm struggling to find any gen on that specifically... my feet are pretty narrow from the ankle right down to the forefoot, and in the forefoot I tend to slide side to side in a lot of shoes, especially DCs.

I'm in Tyshawns at the moment which are great as they are narrow all through the shoe.... but like the look of the 1010s.

So yeah, how do they come up? Wide/average/narrow?

i have narrow ankles and heel lock is great, but the shoe is definetly roomier than most in the forefoot, but also tapers a fair bit. i have no comparison to dcs, but i'd imagine it's a bit slimmer than something like a lynx and probably on par with a legacy. it's definetly wider than my blazers, but not as wide as my old pair of dunks or at least feels more contoured to the foot. so i'd say average/wide.

Skatebeard

« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »
Think I'll just have to try them on and see what's what...cheers.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »
Think I'll just have to try them on and see what's what...cheers.

I wear a 10 and found the 1010s in a 10 too big, like half a size to a full size. Dropped to a 9.5, nice and snug but they pinched my pinky toes and after a week of chilling in them and a week of skating they just never broke in enough for me to keep with them.

Switched over the Etnies Marana and they are gold.

Skatebeard

« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2021, 02:10:52 AM »
Xen, you were bang on the money with that - NBs arrived yesterday... really nice shoe, but wow is their sizing ever messed up... I reckon they come up a good size bigger than most other shoes i've tried... the 10.5 was huge, held them up to my DCs in the same size and you could see how much longer they are.

I've returned them for now, but may hunt out a smaller size in future as they feel pretty good.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2021, 05:44:19 AM »
Xen, you were bang on the money with that - NBs arrived yesterday... really nice shoe, but wow is their sizing ever messed up... I reckon they come up a good size bigger than most other shoes i've tried... the 10.5 was huge, held them up to my DCs in the same size and you could see how much longer they are.

I've returned them for now, but may hunt out a smaller size in future as they feel pretty good.

This may complicate things but I found my normal size 1010s too small. I may try to sell my 11s since I probably need an 11.5. Nearly all of NB# shoes run small on me (older and newer models) expect for 212/213 (0.5 down since the jump) so I've been shocked to hear people say they need to go down in the 1010s haha! But yeah, they're all over the place on sizing from season to season, trying to get it standardized. It's why I mostly run Etnies Michelin cups and I have no worries haha!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2022, 09:00:07 PM »

Last pairs were emerica KSLs, good shoe, hate the colorways these days (+ green sole gets your grip puke yellow), followed by the Tiago 808s (same ill fit I had with the 1010s but better more TTS and while they may be too snug, they are freaking comfy as fuck).

Skating nike SB GT Blazers now for two days and my feet are killing me so it's back to cupsoles.

Would prefer mids, Tried Tyshawns, but too tight...afraid to gamble on going up half a size.

Recommendations?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 10:07:52 PM by Xen »

huggernaut

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2022, 10:00:03 PM »
I am currently skating the és evant. I like it alot. A very solid shoe for a wide foot. It is basicly a re-issue of the koston 3.

This sounds great…currently on their site in one color and one size. Lol

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2022, 10:03:42 PM »
Seconded on eS, even better if they come with the Swift 1.5 outsole.

Switched from vulc to cupsoles exclusively 6 months ago and worked through 1 pair of eS Accel Slims and 1 pair of eS Accel Slim Everstitch. The stitching needed super glue to keep them intact but the outsole and sole were really durable, it was mostly Shoe Goo at that point but no holes on the bottom at all. TTS and a moderately wide toe box that didn't squeeze my bunions.

Really liked the the added (somewhat gimicky) features on the Everstitch Plus:
1) Tongue centering strap for a very snug feel
2) Over the top strap so I could put the shoes on without undoing laces
3) Hidden lace loops were a godsend for someone who goes through laces like crazy, I have to change up ever 3-4 sessions

Had a bunch of vulcs stocked up but I'm selling those and going all in on eS shoes. It's a shame it looks like they stopped making the Everstich or Accels with straps but the Swift 1.5 with the great outsole and hidden lace loops are the next best choice.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2022, 10:09:00 PM »
I’ve been really digging emerica gammas lately. If you can get the G6 davidson colorway, that G6 is noticeable. But the gamma is an overall great cupsole.

I’ve been alternating between gammas and ksl’s this year and I like the gamma more, especially the G6.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2022, 10:15:32 PM »
I’ve been really digging emerica gammas lately. If you can get the G6 davidson colorway, that G6 is noticeable. But the gamma is an overall great cupsole.

I’ve been alternating between gammas and ksl’s this year and I like the gamma more, especially the G6.

Gammas look too narrow, how are they compared to the ksl….swear we did this discussion already lol

huggernaut

« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2022, 10:18:52 PM »
Been a vulc guy forever, but thinking about trying some different cupsoles after being pretty happy with a pair of cupsole Emerica slip ons.

My foot is fairly wide and I’m a size 14 so trying on in store basically a no go. 

I guess starting at some of the more recommended models: any comparison between the marana and the accel?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2022, 10:33:56 PM »

Last pairs were emerica KSLs, good shoe, hate the colorways these days (+ green sole gets your grip puke yellow), followed by the Tiago 808s (same ill fit I had with the 1010s but better more TTS and while they may be too snug, they are freaking comfy as fuck).

Skating nike SB GT Blazers now for two days and my feet are killing me so it's back to cupsoles.

Would prefer mids, Tried Tyshawns, but too tight...afraid to gamble on going up half a size.

Recommendations?

I have skinny feet so tyshawns work but yes, snug…if I was gonna try something else it would be fastbreaks or 440’s…..

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2022, 10:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gammas look too narrow, how are they compared to the ksl….swear we did this discussion already lol

Yeah that’s probably why I like em better bc I’ve got a narrower foot haha

The gammas hold up a little longer
 and have what feels like zero break in period for me.

Ksl is a short break in but it’s noticeable to me. Gammas are a little cheaper too

Idk if they’ll bring back the spanly g6 but that’s a good cupsole too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2022, 11:35:31 PM »
Been a vulc guy forever, but thinking about trying some different cupsoles after being pretty happy with a pair of cupsole Emerica slip ons.

My foot is fairly wide and I’m a size 14 so trying on in store basically a no go. 

I guess starting at some of the more recommended models: any comparison between the marana and the accel?

Not ridden the Marana outside or just trying them on at home but they feel a lot slimmer than they look, in a good way. Heard lots of good things about the Michelin sole, I'd go so far as to say Soletech does a good job with their cupsoles in across the range.

eS has lots of Accel Slims aned Swift 1.5 on sale for under $45, worth checking out their website and use WELCOME20 for 20% off an online order (single use). Can be used on the Emerica, Ethnies and eS web stores.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2022, 01:42:48 PM »
Was able to try the Tyshawn a half size up: 10.5 is the way; tiniest bit of heel slip if I don't use the the top eyelet (so I will)...perfect heellock using the extra eyelet and racers loop. Plenty of width and length and not too much lift in the heel.

Walked out with the Spitfire X Tyshawn....normally I don't do all black but been skating some dirty ass spots lately.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2022, 01:54:15 PM »
They are bricks but do break in…..I’m always skating a new pair and and old one….new one fit so tight and the old ones are almost swimmy….so there is hope. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2022, 02:22:25 PM »
They are bricks but do break in…..I’m always skating a new pair and and old one….new one fit so tight and the old ones are almost swimmy….so there is hope. 

They feel like slippers compared to the 808s.

The 10.5 is snug in the heel and around the mid foot but with wiggle room for my toes, which the 808s did not have in the toe box.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:36:42 PM by Xen »

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2022, 04:43:29 PM »

Recommendations?
If you dislike the green sole on the KSL G6, we just dropped the Black/Gum colorway.

https://emerica.com/collections/spanky/products/ksl-g6-black-black-gum-6102000132-544

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ksl is a short break in but it’s noticeable to me. Gammas are a little cheaper too

We're releasing 1 colorway of the Spanky G6 a season until the Spanky G6 Mid drops next Holiday.

huggernaut

« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2022, 04:51:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Recommendations?
[close]
If you dislike the green sole on the KSL G6, we just dropped the Black/Gum colorway.

https://emerica.com/collections/spanky/products/ksl-g6-black-black-gum-6102000132-544

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

We're releasing 1 colorway of the Spanky G6 a season until the Spanky G6 Mid drops next Holiday.

I tried the ksl but found the toe a bit pointy and didn’t have room in the toe box for my big toe. Any of the other Emerica cupsoles wider up there?