Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 35739 times)

smackenzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
    • Blog avatar image
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2021, 03:34:19 PM »
I haven't seen it posted but I'd recommend VA's Atlantic shoe as well. Another XLK model, looks pretty similar to the Carroll reissue.

michael scarn

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »
I haven't seen it posted but I'd recommend VA's Atlantic shoe as well. Another XLK model, looks pretty similar to the Carroll reissue.

How's the width? Looks a bit more narrow than the Carrolls which is the most narrow I'll go.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2021, 04:34:47 PM »
Session 3 and the 1010s are still breaking in..thing is, when skating, I don't notice, it's only before when warming up, or after and cooling down that I can feel it. In hindsight, I should have worn really thick socks when breaking them in around the house, might have helped.

I've also started keeping the front loose and the top two eyelights pretty tight around my ankle area...I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. Another issue I'm feeling is the toe cap area is very low (not a lot of vertical space) so that explain a lot of the tight feel.

Going to give them one more session then move on.

smackenzie

• Rep: 10
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How's the width? Looks a bit more narrow than the Carrolls which is the most narrow I'll go.

I've only worn the Atlantic so I can't properly vouch for a comparison with the Carroll's, but I'll say the atlantic fit is comfortably snug and sporty-feeling. I don't really have a wide foot, though. If you prefer ample wiggle room the atlantic might not be for you.

My comparison to the Carroll's mainly came from the toebox. Similar stitching pattern/design and pointy. I think compared to the rest, Lakai has one of the least bulky cupsole lineups.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »
I'm moving on from the 1010s as they're just not breaking in where I need them to (Pinky toe pinch), maybe they need more than 10 hours of walking around the house wear (basically used them as slippers) + 6 hours of skating, but by my standards, that should be enough for any discomfort to go away and I'm not willing to go the distance/endure the pinch when other shoes will break in faster.

Ordered a pair of the Marana/Joslin/Michelin - if anyone wants some semi-broken in 1010s in a 9.5 PM me and we'll work it out.

There are some Reebok heads in here - I just picked up some new xtrainers: 20% off for you, 20% off for me: https://refer.reebok.com/TIM06838397
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:00:53 PM by Xen »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's probably been said but the lakai xlk soles are actually so good. I'm on my third pair of the remastered Carroll shoe, and i have a 4th waiting.

To me it's the perfect amount of padding.
[close]

Did you went with your usual Lakai size in the Carroll's?
I wanna try them but I heard they run a bit smaller.
[close]

They feel true to size to me. They're tight for a couple days but loosen up pretty quick. My foot is more short and wide as opposed to long and thin though, if that makes a difference.

I think my feet are the same and I like my shoes snug. Thanks for the response.

And whoever asked, I also was a bit sceptic about the Atlantic's but they aren't as narrow as they might look. If you like your shoes snug, they are great. Only Lakai shoe, that fit's a bit weird is the Flaco. The Flaco feels really wide in the toe area. At least in my opinion.
IG: @flowterspace

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2021, 03:12:05 PM »
Session 3 and the 1010s are still breaking in..thing is, when skating, I don't notice, it's only before when warming up, or after and cooling down that I can feel it. In hindsight, I should have worn really thick socks when breaking them in around the house, might have helped.

I've also started keeping the front loose and the top two eyelights pretty tight around my ankle area...I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. Another issue I'm feeling is the toe cap area is very low (not a lot of vertical space) so that explain a lot of the tight feel.

Going to give them one more session then move on.

Deleted my last post about these because it was confusing, but I skated mine today and I think I like the snug fit in the toe. Strangely, the problem I'm having is heel slippage despite the fantomfit stuff. I had to tighten em down up top to feel more secure.

I think there are a lot of layers of material which could explain that toe pinch, thankfully I haven't felt it since my feet are super narrow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:38:30 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

michael scarn

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's probably been said but the lakai xlk soles are actually so good. I'm on my third pair of the remastered Carroll shoe, and i have a 4th waiting.

[close]

[close]

They feel true to size to me. They're tight for a couple days but loosen up pretty quick. My foot is more short and wide as opposed to long and thin though, if that makes a difference.
[close]

And whoever asked, I also was a bit sceptic about the Atlantic's but they aren't as narrow as they might look. If you like your shoes snug, they are great. Only Lakai shoe, that fit's a bit weird is the Flaco. The Flaco feels really wide in the toe area. At least in my opinion.

If I could find a pair of the flaco 1s i would buy in bulk right now. That shoe fit me so well and skated perfectly.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:26 AM »
I hate to say it but these best I've come across is etnies michelin marans. They just don't make comfy shoes anymore.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »
I hate to say it but these best I've come across is etnies michelin marans. They just don't make comfy shoes anymore.

I won a pair of maranas from a random sweepstakes a while back and they were surprisingly one of my favorite shoes i've skated.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »
My NB# 1010 and 440Hi's came in today. 440 was a bust, way too narrow and flat. Wish the cushioning from the ankle was distributed more in the rest of the shoe. But think I'll be keeping the 1010s for skating and fucking around in. Very comfortable/supportive/and no pinching in the toe region as others had encountered wearing them.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If I could find a pair of the flaco 1s i would buy in bulk right now. That shoe fit me so well and skated perfectly.
I have a few pairs of the Flaco High in 11 that I would absolutely LOVE to get rid of.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

thefriscokid

• Rep: 6
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2021, 05:14:06 PM »
I really like my Tyshawns, they feel really supportive and doing tricks doesnt hurt my feet, even landing primo isnt a problem

Im currently trying out the Fastbreak pro, i like the soles alot and they mold to your feet with a thick insole, the suede ones I have arent very protective on the top, it feels like one thin layer and thats it. The nylon/canvas one might be different maybe more breathable

Im wondering if that new Forum Adidas shoe w the Heitor model is a cupsole? Looks like a good shoe if you can rock the strap
two times

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2021, 06:20:15 PM »
I really like my Tyshawns, they feel really supportive and doing tricks doesnt hurt my feet, even landing primo isnt a problem

Im currently trying out the Fastbreak pro, i like the soles alot and they mold to your feet with a thick insole, the suede ones I have arent very protective on the top, it feels like one thin layer and thats it. The nylon/canvas one might be different maybe more breathable

Im wondering if that new Forum Adidas shoe w the Heitor model is a cupsole? Looks like a good shoe if you can rock the strap
Yes they are.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »

it's pretty easy to distinguish. if the upper is put upon the sole representing a single unit,  and then welded and possibly knit to it, its a cup. the cup being the sole unit, as the upper sits within that cup.

vulcanized means the sole and the upper are connected via the foxing tape on the side. the sole isn't a single unit, and the upper rests just on top of the bottom part, then foxing is applied to form a unit.

they also look very different aesthetically. there are simple cupsoles outthere that kinda look like vulcs, but soles like that forum model are always cup. you can't make vulc foxing tape look like that.

typical vulcs are most classic vans models, typical cup would be the heitor, a dunk, es accel. vulcs are usually thinner and more flexible out of the box, cups have more stability and allow the manufacturer to put extra dampening in there.

EDIT: what mostly works when your in doubt about it is that if you see stitching on the sole, it's surely a cup, even if that stitching is only decorative. i don't think you can put stitches through vulc foxing/sidewalls.

on another note, the heitor doesn't come with a strap i think, unlike regular forum lows.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2021, 06:46:28 PM »
My NB# 1010 and 440Hi's came in today. 440 was a bust, way too narrow and flat. Wish the cushioning from the ankle was distributed more in the rest of the shoe. But think I'll be keeping the 1010s for skating and fucking around in. Very comfortable/supportive/and no pinching in the toe region as others had encountered wearing them.

I have both the 440’s and the 1010’s. I also don’t get any of the pinching people expressed here. Maybe in my white ones the first day or two but they’re good now. The 440’s are super thin, too thin for me personally to skate which is fine as I bought them to have a some what nice shoe to wear out. I don’t agree with anyone’s comments about them being supportive for me theyre basically vulcs and I had to put a different insole in them. But again they’re fine for wearing out and about.

868s still can’t be beat IMO.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
I have both the 440’s and the 1010’s. I also don’t get any of the pinching people expressed here. Maybe in my white ones the first day or two but they’re good now. The 440’s are super thin, too thin for me personally to skate which is fine as I bought them to have a some what nice shoe to wear out. I don’t agree with anyone’s comments about them being supportive for me theyre basically vulcs and I had to put a different insole in them. But again they’re fine for wearing out and about.

roth said the 868 might come back occasionally. at least they are not completely off the menu at nb#. i'm hoping i'll get a second chance with this shoe. bought a pair that was a tiny bit too small back when the sizing was still iffy.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the same idea about keeping the 440's for nice attire as well, but just ended up returning both NBs.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »
Etnies Michelin Maranas (Joslin colorway BLK/GUM) just arrived. Straight out of the box they are lightyears more comfortable for my feet than the 1010s; the Maranas feel more broken in new than the 1010s do after 6+hours skating and 10 ish hours of walking around, albeit at the cost of just feeling like a 'generic' skate shoe (not a dig, just an observation).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 12:15:11 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
Etnies Michelin Maranas (Joslin colorway BLK/GUM) just arrived. Straight out of the box they are lightyears more comfortable for my feet than the 1010s; the Maranas feel more broken in new than the 1010s do after 6+hours skating and 10 ish hours of walking around, albeit at the cost of just feeling like a 'generic' skate shoe (not a dig, just an observation).

Just wrapped up a few hours in them on the board, feel great, already breaking in nicely. Again, PM for a good deal on those 1010s.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wrapped up a few hours in them on the board, feel great, already breaking in nicely. Again, PM for a good deal on those 1010s.

I almost exclusively skate etnies Marana/Joslin, so I'm stoked someone else digs em!  I agree with your observation, they're definitely a "no frills" workhorse skate shoe. Get the job done and don't look hideous, but aren't some sleek neck turners when you see em. That's what sold them for me. They aren't distracting to look at while skating and I regularly recommend them to people on here because of that.

Also, let's peep that on foot shot in the shoe wearing thread haha!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I almost exclusively skate etnies Marana/Joslin, so I'm stoked someone else digs em!  I agree with your observation, they're definitely a "no frills" workhorse skate shoe. Get the job done and don't look hideous, but aren't some sleek neck turners when you see em. That's what sold them for me. They aren't distracting to look at while skating and I regularly recommend them to people on here because of that.

Also, let's peep that on foot shot in the shoe wearing thread haha!

They're throwing off a Reynolds 2 vibe (probably just the colorway); also, props to the hidden lace savers, more companies should do that. Pretty sure as soon as they hit the blown out state, they're going to feel great. I'm not a fan of toe cap shoes as I feel it hinders more than helps - in the beginning anyway - so we'll see how that goes.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »
Anyone skate the Joslin 2’s ?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »

I was going to get them over the Maranas but couldn't find them in my size )+lots of reviews say to size up or down, too much confusion to go through that shit again).

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »

@Dark pools

maybe check his posts, he talked a lot about them. been keeping my eye on these as well, but couldn't cop yet. my size is always out when i look them up.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »

I didn't skate only tried on, but I personally wasn't a fan of them. I was looking for a puffier cup with arch support but they weren't as big as they looked online. They're super stiff out of the box which I do like but they are very flat. Honestly they reminded me of Accel OGs except not being comfortable at all.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2021, 03:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't skate only tried on, but I personally wasn't a fan of them. I was looking for a puffier cup with arch support but they weren't as big as they looked online. They're super stiff out of the box which I do like but they are very flat. Honestly they reminded me of Accel OGs except not being comfortable at all.

I have skated my Joslin 2s but not very much. I'm still super used to Marana, Joslin 1 and Reynolds G6 so I'm running those while I break my 2s in from walking around.
They are comfortable, in my opinion. Better heel cushion and a pretty solid ankle lock when you find the right tightness with the laces/strap combo (or strap removal) over the other etnies I mentioned above.

Sole was bouncy and squishy, which was different than how Marana/Joslin 1 were stiff but bouncy (responsive). Pretty good board feel early on but it can only get better with more wear I think. Definitely bulkier than the other two. Rubber sole seemed softer and not as durable for the handful of sessions I got in them.

I think these 2s need a longer adjustment period than Marana/Joslin 1 to be ideal but they have good potential to skate really well and feel supportive.

Also, these fit similarly to the Marana/Joslin 1. I'd go with the same size you get in those. They run small on me so I go 0.5 up from my usual Vans/Nike/Lakai/Adidas size.
Super Champion Fun Zone

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2021, 03:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have skated my Joslin 2s but not very much. I'm still super used to Marana, Joslin 1 and Reynolds G6 so I'm running those while I break my 2s in from walking around.
They are comfortable, in my opinion. Better heel cushion and a pretty solid ankle lock when you find the right tightness with the laces/strap combo (or strap removal) over the other etnies I mentioned above.

Sole was bouncy and squishy, which was different than how Marana/Joslin 1 were stiff but bouncy (responsive). Pretty good board feel early on but it can only get better with more wear I think. Definitely bulkier than the other two. Rubber sole seemed softer and not as durable for the handful of sessions I got in them.

I think these 2s need a longer adjustment period than Marana/Joslin 1 to be ideal but they have good potential to skate really well and feel supportive.

Also, these fit similarly to the Marana/Joslin 1. I'd go with the same size you get in those. They run small on me so I go 0.5 up from my usual Vans/Nike/Lakai/Adidas size.
Damn thanks for the in-depth review.

The only Etnies I’ve ever skated were the Vallely’s in 2001 and the Dill 2 mids in ‘08-‘09.

For 60$ I’m guessing it’s worth it ?

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The only Etnies I’ve ever skated were the Vallely’s in 2001 and the Dill 2 mids in ‘08-‘09.

Sorry I should have put at the end of my post "in my opinion" as DarkPools did. I was just disappointed when they came in since they really weren't what I was expecting after reading and watching some reviews on them. I've never worn any etnies in the past either so I really can't compare them to any other of their models.im sure they're super durable but just not enough puff and comfort I'm still searching for.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2021, 12:43:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry I should have put at the end of my post "in my opinion" as DarkPools did. I was just disappointed when they came in since they really weren't what I was expecting after reading and watching some reviews on them. I've never worn any etnies in the past either so I really can't compare them to any other of their models.im sure they're super durable but just not enough puff and comfort I'm still searching for.

No worries! I think we all assumed (or I'm assuming that's what everyone thought lol)  that it was your personal take on the shoe. I had a different experience, so I offered it for Boognish. I am a bit biased since etnies are my current favorite shoe company to skate in. They look mad puffy in the photos but definitely feel slimmer on foot. That works for some and not others. Good luck on your search for a puffy/comfortable but also super skateable shoe, though!!

Boognish, I would think so! I would buy them at $60, especially if you wanna try them and not do full price. These shoes are somewhere in between the two etnies you skated. They aren't puffy beasts like Vallely's, but they're not some slimmer vulcs from the late 2000s like the Dills. More of a modern cupsole with better padding. I think much of current Etnies are good shoes, including these.
Super Champion Fun Zone