Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37406 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2022, 05:06:05 PM »
NB440s felt very sturdy as a shoe.

Emerica has to me, a solid range of cup soles for everyone. Slip cup are good for a basic no frills, the spanky is good even if not to my taste, their quintin? The model leabres just had a colour out on, had the same sole as the Leo laced which are both thinner cups but bridge that gap nicely from vulc into cups

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2022, 06:02:23 PM »
The 440 is def up there, as is the KSL; the 440 was a better fit for me, I'd say a more modern fit (toe box), where the KSL is defiantly a more 'classic' emerica/etnies shape but they broke in just fine.

I honestly don't understand why companies make shoes with certain shapes sometimes...especially something like the Gamma/Ishod/eS Stylus...some pointy narrow long ass tube feet...

So far just chilling the Tyshawns, they're gonna work...remind me a lot of the 3ST.003 but with a bit more shapely form factor...they don't feel as durable as the KSLs or 808s I've been on....but more durable than the GT Blazers...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2022, 09:30:29 PM »
I always go through the sole…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2022, 09:52:20 PM »

I shuffle my feet a lot on (usually) grippy tape so I burn through soles no matter what; comes with the territory. I'm just happy it's a mid cup, that fits/doesn't hurt my feet and is regularly available in multiple colorways.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2022, 11:08:12 PM »
Will hold my final word on these after I’ve skated them all the way through, but Lakai Telford is a nice slimish cupsole that skates really good right out the box.
We’ll see how long these last.

badmanganjaspliff

• Rep: 2
  • You pies
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2022, 01:17:26 AM »
me too, unless its a lynx or similar shoe my soles are blown out in a month easily... wanted to skate half cabs but can't for this reason... nb 808s are holding up so far

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2022, 06:04:20 AM »
I had to go up a half-size in the Tyshawn and they work for me. I'm digging the Nora, too, also a half-size up.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2022, 06:20:59 AM »
I was close to pulling the trigger on some marana fiberlites which are a lot slimmer than the standard maranas, but having never seen them in the flesh and a lack of reviews scared me off.

Ended up getting some bruin reacts and after a couple of weeks skating in them, I'm impressed so far.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2022, 06:22:47 AM »
I was close to pulling the trigger on some marana fiberlites which are a lot slimmer than the standard maranas, but having never seen them in the flesh and a lack of reviews scared me off.

Ended up getting some bruin reacts and after a couple of weeks skating in them, I'm impressed so far.

Man those bruins look so good. I want to try them.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2022, 06:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bruin reacts are quality, for sure. Boardfeel/support combo is on point.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2022, 07:19:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’ve seen some on sale but not in my size. I should  have pulled the trigger when I had the chance.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2022, 07:34:59 AM »
Picked up the grey/black white bottom Tyshawns the other day at the Adidas outlet for $24 after 20% educator discount. They're not extremely well cushioned underfoot, but they feel really good on foot. I wear 10.5 in most stuff, but I went down to a 10 and they're breaking in good. I haven't skated Adidas before but their prices are outlet are too good to pass up. They had a pair of black Puigs in nearly every size for $45, tyshawn basketball shorts for $30, shmoo pants and hoodies for $30 a pop.

I have a pair of gammas in the mail rn so we'll see how those work outm

IpathCats

« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
Fastbreaks and dunks are the only decent cupsoles made for skating these days IMO, i havent tried those adidas forums, but they look like they would be good too. To be fair, i havent tried any of the DC's, but im a high top guy and they look WAY too bulky anyway.

TBH if you're looking for cupsoles, look at non skate shoe brands and buy some superglue. It's fun finding old/used stuff and skating in it (if it looks like it will skate well). You might be surprised how good some non skate shoes are to skate. Reebok and Asics both make shoes i've really enjoyed skating in.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2022, 07:47:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Best shoes imho, but they discontinued them?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2022, 08:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Best shoes imho, but they discontinued them?

Hopefully they’re not discontinued. I’m skating some of the Bruin React right now and I’m enjoying them enough to consider buying another pair. I was on LRAB VM001 before.  I like lots of things about those too, but their sizing is wack and I’ve just accepted that they (LRAB) don’t make shoes that fit me (for skating). 

The React insoles seem great too as my feet aren’t noticeably sore after skating.

I’d recommend these shoes. They fit nicely in my normal size and in my experience are quite comfy and surprisingly durable. If I had superglued the stitches and used shoe goo they would be lasting much longer too.

I will say the laces that came with them are trash and ripped after like 2 ollies. Not a huge deal but they did not come with backups.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2022, 08:39:51 AM »
Any Lakai XLK sole shoe. They currently have two different XLK cupsoles out.

The Atlantic and Telford Low (Manchild colorway): this sole has the hexagon tread that was on the Proto and is a bit more board feel.

The Trudger, Fade, and Evo 2.0 XLK: this sole is thicker for more impact support.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2022, 09:43:05 AM »
Fastbreaks and dunks are the only decent cupsoles made for skating these days IMO, i havent tried those adidas forums, but they look like they would be good too. To be fair, i havent tried any of the DC's, but im a high top guy and they look WAY too bulky anyway.

TBH if you're looking for cupsoles, look at non skate shoe brands and buy some superglue. It's fun finding old/used stuff and skating in it (if it looks like it will skate well). You might be surprised how good some non skate shoes are to skate. Reebok and Asics both make shoes i've really enjoyed skating in.

I keep skipping on fastbreaks because of cons sizing (for me, usually a 1/2 size down) and they're never around locally to try on..next good fall colorway I'll just bit the bullet and mail order with an easy return policy.

IpathCats

« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I keep skipping on fastbreaks because of cons sizing (for me, usually a 1/2 size down) and they're never around locally to try on..next good fall colorway I'll just bit the bullet and mail order with an easy return policy.

In my experience the fastbreaks were about 1/2 size big for me but i had some big FP insoles in them that fixed that somewhat. I'm a weird footsize though so this is like always the case for me. I would probably suggest you order a 1/2 down, still recommend going somewhere with an easy return though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

In my experience the fastbreaks were about 1/2 size big for me but i had some big FP insoles in them that fixed that somewhat. I'm a weird footsize though so this is like always the case for me. I would probably suggest you order a 1/2 down, still recommend going somewhere with an easy return though.

In chucks and older one stars I always dropped to 9.5. Current One stars, Louie's mid shoe and Check Point Pro I've gone 10 and they have been tts...seems the fastbreaks follow the 'older' cons mold (which makes sense give the shoe and it's origin).

I'm sick of shoe sampling, and hope the Tyshawn's work out so I can just stick with one shoe.

IpathCats

« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

In chucks and older one stars I always dropped to 9.5. Current One stars, Louie's mid shoe and Check Point Pro I've gone 10 and they have been tts...seems the fastbreaks follow the 'older' cons mold (which makes sense give the shoe and it's origin).

I'm sick of shoe sampling, and hope the Tyshawn's work out so I can just stick with one shoe.

I think the fastbreak might be tts for you then. i hear the chucks fit super long, so if you only went a half size down for those the fastbreaks are probably perfect

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Last pairs were emerica KSLs, good shoe, hate the colorways these days (+ green sole gets your grip puke yellow), followed by the Tiago 808s (same ill fit I had with the 1010s but better more TTS and while they may be too snug, they are freaking comfy as fuck).

Skating nike SB GT Blazers now for two days and my feet are killing me so it's back to cupsoles.

Would prefer mids, Tried Tyshawns, but too tight...afraid to gamble on going up half a size.

Recommendations?
[close]
If you dislike the green sole on the KSL G6, we just dropped the Black/Gum colorway.

https://emerica.com/collections/spanky/products/ksl-g6-black-black-gum-6102000132-544

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve been really digging emerica gammas lately. If you can get the G6 davidson colorway, that G6 is noticeable. But the gamma is an overall great cupsole.

I’ve been alternating between gammas and ksl’s this year and I like the gamma more, especially the G6.
[close]

Gammas look too narrow, how are they compared to the ksl….swear we did this discussion already lol
[close]

Yeah that’s probably why I like em better bc I’ve got a narrower foot haha

The gammas hold up a little longer
 and have what feels like zero break in period for me.

Ksl is a short break in but it’s noticeable to me. Gammas are a little cheaper too

Idk if they’ll bring back the spanly g6 but that’s a good cupsole too.
[close]

We're releasing 1 colorway of the Spanky G6 a season until the Spanky G6 Mid drops next Holiday.
[close]

I tried the ksl but found the toe a bit pointy and didn’t have room in the toe box for my big toe. Any of the other Emerica cupsoles wider up there?
Have you looked into the Gamma, Romero Laced, Wino Slip Cup or Figueroa? The Quentin just came out but that shoe doesn't have as much support as the others.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think the fastbreak might be tts for you then. i hear the chucks fit super long, so if you only went a half size down for those the fastbreaks are probably perfect

I’ve heard fastbreaks are TTS as well…..anyone else confirm?

I’m stuck on the tyshawns, they are always on sale and Adidas seems to be constantly be putting out new colors.  I think I’m sitting on six pairs…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2022, 12:02:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m stuck on the tyshawns, they are always on sale and Adidas seems to be constantly be putting out new colors.  I think I’m sitting on six pairs…

If they work....

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2022, 12:12:53 PM »

Have you looked into the Gamma, Romero Laced, Wino Slip Cup or Figueroa? The Quentin just came out but that shoe doesn't have as much support as the others.

Like the slip cup quite a bit, was just looking to try a laced alternative with a little more ankle support. Will check out one of those models.

The Figueroa doesn’t look like it has the ankle support, but sure is one fine looking shoe :)

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2022, 12:48:08 PM »

I've had two pairs of the Emerica KSL G6 in different colorways and they have been the greatest thing to happen to my feet in years. Between Emerica and Lakai, there is still hope for cupsoles in skater-owned options, that aren't bad looking.

CrustyCurbs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2022, 01:18:22 PM »
I've been skating DC Centrals lately.
Picked up a couple of pairs super cheap.
Wouldn't say it's the best looking shoe and wasn't expecting much but I've been pleasantly surprised
Found them to be really durable, getting a lot of wear out of them
Toe shape works well with my kickflip flick
Decent balance of enough padding without being overly puffy/bulky

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If they work....

Fastbreaks were TTS for me - 9.5.
I'd like to try a suede pair. But would never get another synthetic pair, like I had.
My foot was sliding around inside the shoe a dangerous amount. Even with the laces cranked.
They do look cool though.

I had some Tyshawns in a 9.5. Way too tight. Even bought a shoe stretcher for them. Didn't work.
Still haven't tried on a 10 to see how it would feel.

I'm also sitting on 6 pairs of my chosen cup - Etnies Joslin. 9.5. Love em.

JJ_Skates

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2022, 04:14:25 PM »
Es Accel OG's or the Plus variant.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2022, 04:39:38 PM »
I was deciding between Puigs and Tiago 1010s and wound up pulling the trigger on the Tiagos because I think the black/white/translucent-gum is nice and will sell out fast. I watched some reviews on the Puigs and it sounds like they’re flimsy and narrow with no notable qualities besides the unique appearance.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2022, 09:03:38 PM »
I had to go up a half-size in the Tyshawn and they work for me. I'm digging the Nora, too, also a half-size up.

How are the Nora’s ? They look good and I want to try them but afraid I’ll be bummed. Love the wino cup and spanky g6 and nb 508 but not a huge fan of the 440 or the Crockett soles. They don’t seem as comfortable. How’s the Nora’s compare?