Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37392 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2022, 09:40:08 PM »
Fastbreaks and dunks are the only decent cupsoles made for skating these days IMO, i havent tried those adidas forums, but they look like they would be good too. To be fair, i havent tried any of the DC's, but im a high top guy and they look WAY too bulky anyway.

TBH if you're looking for cupsoles, look at non skate shoe brands and buy some superglue. It's fun finding old/used stuff and skating in it (if it looks like it will skate well). You might be surprised how good some non skate shoes are to skate. Reebok and Asics both make shoes i've really enjoyed skating in.

Hard disagree- Fastbreaks are known for not being durable and at least for me Dunks weren't anything special. Good grip but I felt worse board feel than Jordans and don't like the extra bulk in the heel area. The heel pods on the low are worst. There are so many less bulky cups that have just as good build quality and have advanced in the last 15 years that it's kinda bold to say they're the only decent cups. The fact that they're annoying to get creates a fake nostalgia and leads us to believe they're better than they really are. Not bad by any means, but this thread demonstrates that it's easy to find a great cup that fits your foot shape.

Is anyone skating the KSL anymore? I haven't seen them talked about much lately. Those and Slip Cups do interest me a bit.

Lashes2ashes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2022, 09:51:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Fastbreaks and dunks are the only decent cupsoles made for skating these days IMO, i havent tried those adidas forums, but they look like they would be good too. To be fair, i havent tried any of the DC's, but im a high top guy and they look WAY too bulky anyway.

TBH if you're looking for cupsoles, look at non skate shoe brands and buy some superglue. It's fun finding old/used stuff and skating in it (if it looks like it will skate well). You might be surprised how good some non skate shoes are to skate. Reebok and Asics both make shoes i've really enjoyed skating in.
[close]

Hard disagree- Fastbreaks are known for not being durable and at least for me Dunks weren't anything special. Good grip but I felt worse board feel than Jordans and don't like the extra bulk in the heel area. The heel pods on the low are worst. There are so many less bulky cups that have just as good build quality and have advanced in the last 15 years that it's kinda bold to say they're the only decent cups. The fact that they're annoying to get creates a fake nostalgia and leads us to believe they're better than they really are. Not bad by any means, but this thread demonstrates that it's easy to find a great cup that fits your foot shape.

Is anyone skating the KSL anymore? I haven't seen them talked about much lately. Those and Slip Cups do interest me a bit.
Ksl? The g6 ones right? I bought a pair the other day and now am selling them lol, I’m sure they’re amazing. But the only cupsole I really have experience with is the waffle cup, I have heard it’s not a true cupsole? I just know that street skating I was fine with the ksl no issues, when I went to the park I almost died on everything I tried, shit just dropping in I almost slipped out. Might just be from going from vans but I felt like I hade zero boardfeel, but people way better than me love them! So might just be me.

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2022, 10:31:25 PM »
I am on my 7th pair of tyshawns. Hands down my favorite cupsole. I also like the tiago 1010’s. I’ve had 2 pairs of those. Both shoes have been very durable for me. 

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2022, 06:20:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Ksl? The g6 ones right? I bought a pair the other day and now am selling them lol, I’m sure they’re amazing. But the only cupsole I really have experience with is the waffle cup, I have heard it’s not a true cupsole? I just know that street skating I was fine with the ksl no issues, when I went to the park I almost died on everything I tried, shit just dropping in I almost slipped out. Might just be from going from vans but I felt like I hade zero boardfeel, but people way better than me love them! So might just be me.

Just break them in and get used to them. Need more than just a session or two to adjust.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2022, 06:51:03 AM »
Skating the KSLs right now and have two more pairs waiting.  I love them.  My foot is a little wider, and they fit perfectly.  They are pretty durable as well. 

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2022, 07:27:05 AM »
I am on my 7th pair of tyshawns. Hands down my favorite cupsole. I also like the tiago 1010’s. I’ve had 2 pairs of those. Both shoes have been very durable for me.

It’s picky, but I don’t like the look-down-factor (LDF) on the Tyshawns… kinda stubby looking

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love my Wino Slip Cups. I've got two on ice. I basically only skate cupsoles, but I don't like bulky uppers too much so the Slim Cups are great for me. I've got a pair of AVE Pros too, which I like and have a few Ellington Li-Nings that I'm interested in trying.

I also have a pair of old Graving Viking lows and highs that I'm eventually going to skate for fun.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2022, 09:30:28 AM »
Skating the KSLs right now and have two more pairs waiting.  I love them.  My foot is a little wider, and they fit perfectly.  They are pretty durable as well.

I think this is the key for KSLs...I like mine for chilling but not my favorite skate shoes since my foot feels like it's swimming in the toe box. Since the laces start way up the shoe you can't even cinch them up effectively. Wide feet probably love them.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2022, 09:50:39 AM »
As a huge cupsole guy (been skating cupsoles only for like 8 years) I must say DC makes top notch cupsoles. I do like the sort of retro-modern versions (Williams Slim, Legacy Slims, Kalis S etc.) They look a bit thicker but they have great boardfeel and break in super quick while still offering really good support.

Lakai cupsoles are good but they aren't very durable.

éS makes really good shit but I feel dont last as long as DCs.

Vans makes good cupsoles not gonna lie, I had the Ultrarange Pros and they were beast and the Kyle Walker 2s, I know not many peoples cup of tea, but holy shir they were so good

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2022, 09:53:39 AM »
I have Telfords and KSLs in rotation. The Telfords are real thin, with a swapped insole they fit in with my LRABs. The KSLs are a true cup; sturdy and cushy. No super crazy about the board feel but there's a time and a place you know
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

IpathCats

« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
I have Telfords and KSLs in rotation. The Telfords are real thin, with a swapped insole they fit in with my LRABs. The KSLs are a true cup; sturdy and cushy. No super crazy about the board feel but there's a time and a place you know

Telford re issue was such a letdown for me. same with the trudger. I really liked how the trudger fit too, but that flimsy xlk sole just aint cutting it. I havent tried the KSLs, they look pretty legit but i have never fit into emericas well and i dont really skate lows much.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
I am a bit concerned about the KSL after reading the Wear Tested review and plenty of other reviews on here about the lack of board feel. It sorta reminds of the React insoles in the Bruins- I hated those things. Just too much sponge. Then in the Shoes You're Wearing Thread I saw someone rip the lace eyelets off lacing them. I saw this happen on both shoes on a dude at the skatepark. He was less than stoked about the quality and feel of the shoe and was thinking about retiring them early.

At the same time they look solid and G6 generally gets really positive feedback. Great Dunk-alike in terms of look.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2022, 10:49:50 AM »
At first I was gonna come in here and say its hard to justify buying Telfords or KSL full price when AJ1 lows are $20 more on ebay...

But $50 is a justifiable price
https://www.tillys.com/product/emerica-ksl-g6-mens-shoes/427706150.html?dwvar_427706150_color=150&dwvar_427706150_size=S8&quantity=1

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
Board feel is fine with the KSLs once they break in. And not spongy at all like the bruins. As for eyelets, mine stayed in (unlike my GT Blazers where I popped one second wear while lacing up during a session); that's just hit or miss QC.

They KSL eyestays will start to come loose (stiches pop) *just from lacing* this happened on both shoes, on the outside, and I don't have a mad switch game), Crazy Glue required prior to wearing....

They're a very no-nonsense cupsole...I only switched off them for the 808 (fail) and would have nabbed the blk gum if I haven't been itching for mid.

RE: 808 - I keep wearing them as my hit the store, take out the trash errand shoes...and they still make every other shoe I own, skate or otherwise, like flimsy pieces of shit...the 808 is such a beast of a sneaker...I might dip on a 10.5 and return if it's a hot mess.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 11:50:48 AM by Xen »

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2022, 11:12:37 AM »
how are the newer telefords w the updated sole?

was looking at these modelo (manchild) colorway , toe looks narrow might go 10
https://www.tactics.com/lakai/telford-low-skate-shoes/manch-navy-white-suede
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Chris

• Rep: 9
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2022, 11:15:03 AM »
Vans Crockett (High) is an official rec from me.

probs been said already.

My first cupsole maybe ever and the transition was easy as a shit. From last resort VM001 high mind you

IpathCats

« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2022, 11:23:42 AM »
how are the newer telefords w the updated sole?

was looking at these modelo (manchild) colorway , toe looks narrow might go 10
https://www.tactics.com/lakai/telford-low-skate-shoes/manch-navy-white-suede

If you like vulcs, youll probably like it.

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »

RE: 808 - I keep wearing them as my hit the store, take out the trash errand shoes...and they still make every other shoe I own, skate or otherwise, like flimsy pieces of shit...the 808 is such a beast of a sneaker...I might dip on a 10.5 and return if it's a hot mess.

So tempted to try them, but I’m hooked on skating $30 sole tech clearance shoes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2022, 01:02:08 PM »
The 808 is here to stay so you can prolly take your time.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2022, 05:12:10 PM »
I am a bit concerned about the KSL after reading the Wear Tested review and plenty of other reviews on here about the lack of board feel. It sorta reminds of the React insoles in the Bruins- I hated those things. Just too much sponge. Then in the Shoes You're Wearing Thread I saw someone rip the lace eyelets off lacing them. I saw this happen on both shoes on a dude at the skatepark. He was less than stoked about the quality and feel of the shoe and was thinking about retiring them early.

At the same time they look solid and G6 generally gets really positive feedback. Great Dunk-alike in terms of look.
After skating the 1010s, the ksl have great board feel. They aren’t Reynolds good, not as form fitting imo, but they do what emerica does very well.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »
Interestingly I have a friend that just skated the G6 Reynolds and described the board feel as pretty bad. Just a brick of a shoe with lots of foam.

In the Tiago I can articulate my forefoot really well. The shape of the cut lines on the sole seems to work well. The rear is definitely stiffer and took a while to get used to the sensation. I've got a longer index toe that big toe and wide feet and the toebox seems to work. The KSL toe also looks like it would. No locals seem to stock it but I wish I could try on. Ordering just to return is kinda shitty behavior and I'm trying to get away from having everything delivered/tons of emissions for my bullshit.

huggernaut

« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »
Interestingly I have a friend that just skated the G6 Reynolds and described the board feel as pretty bad. Just a brick of a shoe with lots of foam.

In the Tiago I can articulate my forefoot really well. The shape of the cut lines on the sole seems to work well. The rear is definitely stiffer and took a while to get used to the sensation. I've got a longer index toe that big toe and wide feet and the toebox seems to work. The KSL toe also looks like it would. No locals seem to stock it but I wish I could try on. Ordering just to return is kinda shitty behavior and I'm trying to get away from having everything delivered/tons of emissions for my bullshit.

Man, when I tried the 1010s one side felt like the plasticy reinforcement just dug into the side of my foot so badly and the other not at all. Felt like maybe just a qc thing, and to your point, I’d love to try another but I’m not trying to ship another pair just to return them again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2022, 08:23:17 PM »

I agree that the shape of the sole is pretty good I. The 1010s. I have been kind of hurt in the foot the whole year and this shoe is pretty good for me for skating and just walking etc. I have been skating the ksl for the past two weeks though and just wearing the tiagos around and I’m lurking how the Ksl feels so much thinner than the tiagos for flip tricks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #233 on: October 01, 2022, 05:58:01 PM »
Just received and tried on the Tiago 1010s. They're bizarrely narrow and long with a rectangular-shaped toe that doesn't resemble a human foot (in my harsh opinion). I don't usually run into this problem. I wear vans, adidas, dc, LRAB, and they all fit fine. Unfortunate, but I had my doubts looking at photos of the shoe. I figured they'd have a slightly more ergonomic shape in real life. Oh well, still managing not to have ever skated NBs somehow, even though I'm a big cupsole guy.

At least I get to shop around for some other cupsoles. I'm healing from a surgery, so this is an online mission to get some kicks for my return.

Yeah once you get past that outsole shape, you are left with a pretty narrow square'd style (like the westgates/other models\

Wish I had watched this prior: https://youtu.be/Pk571nhFBXs?t=74

Jump to 00:01:15

badmanganjaspliff

• Rep: 2
  • You pies
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2022, 04:21:42 AM »

éS makes really good shit but I feel dont last as long as DCs.

Had a pair of Es symbols and was very unhappy… the tongue came unstitched after a couple of weeks. May have just got unlucky but it’s put me off buying another pair of Es which is a shame as i actually like a lot of their shoe designs, especially the Og reissues.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2022, 07:59:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man, when I tried the 1010s one side felt like the plasticy reinforcement just dug into the side of my foot so badly and the other not at all. Felt like maybe just a qc thing, and to your point, I’d love to try another but I’m not trying to ship another pair just to return them again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What color way was this?  I just had to return a pair of all black ones with white soles because of some plastic thing digging into my foot from the tongue on the left shoe. I’ve had two pairs before this so it was definitely some sort of manufactures defect .

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2022, 08:15:18 AM »
On my third pair of Lynx zero jahmir brown editions, they have the super suede and tongue centering straps, which are missing on the other colors and stuff
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2022, 08:50:25 AM »
I’ve been having some foot pain issues, think I’m going to have to leave the vulcs behind and get some cupsoles.

The 1010 and the 440 are the most appealing to me so far. Hopefully find a pair on sale

huggernaut

« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2022, 09:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What color way was this?  I just had to return a pair of all black ones with white soles because of some plastic thing digging into my foot from the tongue on the left shoe. I’ve had two pairs before this so it was definitely some sort of manufactures defect .

Black/white…

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2022, 09:12:17 AM »
Vans Crockett Highs have been my favorite shoes for a while now, huge amount of cushion and great board feel.