Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37416 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2023, 07:16:01 AM »
I could never do standard Businitz again, like walking in heels. 

I want some shoes with good cushioning and support, the Vans skate vulcs just ain't cutting it. 

I'm looking at the Tyshawns & Noras as they're on sale a bit, but have always wanted to try the Campus ADVs.  I've got kind of a skinny, wide foot.
He Nora's look like a pretty similar construction to og busenitz. https://www.weartested.com/adidas-nora/
 I think the tyshawns and campus have better cushion. Even the Lucas indoors look to have better cushion but still heel looks kinda high

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2023, 08:02:10 AM »

I want some shoes with good cushioning and support, the Vans skate vulcs just ain't cutting it. 

I'm looking at the Tyshawns & Noras as they're on sale a bit, but have always wanted to try the Campus ADVs.  I've got kind of a skinny, wide foot.

Sounds like the campus would work well for you. I am skating them right now. I have wide and fat feet. They are not exactly wide, but you can make them work with a wider foot. I like the lacing of the shoe. I think that‘s reason it works well for oddly shaped feet. It is a very solid and durable shoe overall. I would say the sole of the shoe is on the thinner side for a vulc shoe, but will still give you some cushioning.
I have skated the tyshawn mids as well. They have a thicker sole and more arch support. The width is similar to the campus, maybe a bit more narrow. If you have wide feet don‘t get the tyshawn lows. They are very narrow.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2023, 09:09:39 AM »

I, too, will never touch the booz'n'titz again, can't stand the heel lift.\\

Still skate my Mid Tyshawns, great shoe, if a bit chunky (I don't find Adidas in general very grippy unless it's their gum, which mai thais aren't).

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 02:35:18 PM by Xen »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2023, 10:46:17 AM »
808 for life
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sounds like the campus would work well for you. I am skating them right now. I have wide and fat feet. They are not exactly wide, but you can make them work with a wider foot. I like the lacing of the shoe. I think that‘s reason it works well for oddly shaped feet. It is a very solid and durable shoe overall. I would say the sole of the shoe is on the thinner side for a vulc shoe, but will still give you some cushioning.
I have skated the tyshawn mids as well. They have a thicker sole and more arch support. The width is similar to the campus, maybe a bit more narrow. If you have wide feet don‘t get the tyshawn lows. They are very narrow.

Thanks for the part on the lows being more narrow than the mids.
I like the look of the lows more, and really enjoyed the mids I had, thought it was a real decent shoe. I’m not sure why I only got one pair, other than I bought some ave pros around the same time and kinda went with those for a few pairs. But yeah mids good, but close to being too narrow

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2023, 07:58:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Re job I'll try on some campus and ty mids.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2023, 11:50:28 PM »
Asics Vic NBD

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2023, 01:34:51 AM »
I'd fuck with those Asics. The gum around the heel is kind of strange though.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2023, 01:43:08 AM »
I can't recommend Tyshawn mids highly enough if you have a narrow foot, I'm on my 8th or 9th pair. I skate flatground most days and get about 3 months out of them with a bit of shoe-goo maintenance towards the end.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2023, 01:53:08 AM »
Even with a moderately wide foot, the Ty mids are a godsend. I'd love to have 8-9 more pairs.  They're lasting through fall/winter easily with some goo but I also haven't been able to skate a lot lately due to the weather mostly. Unfortunately, I have the Busenitz up next and they are a little too dainty for me. They're feeling better as I break them in walking around a bit, but the Tyshawns felt good to go right out of the box for me.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2023, 03:10:40 AM »
How do NBs compare to Adidas?  Is there a consensus on the best cupsole brand?

Pasta Monster

« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2023, 08:07:03 AM »
Even with a moderately wide foot, the Ty mids are a godsend. I'd love to have 8-9 more pairs.  They're lasting through fall/winter easily with some goo but I also haven't been able to skate a lot lately due to the weather mostly. Unfortunately, I have the Busenitz up next and they are a little too dainty for me. They're feeling better as I break them in walking around a bit, but the Tyshawns felt good to go right out of the box for me.
TTS with thin [Stance] socks works perfectly for me. They felt too tight but broke in by the second or third time, wearing them around the house. I originally went a half size up and those were also tight. Although they loosened up after wearing them around the house, I couldn’t deal with the heel slip.

After buying an excessive amount of shoes, to find one that supports my narrow heel and fat toes, I’m sticking with the 1010 in TTS with Gildan/Hanes socks. It’s interesting to see how my pinky toes are red/swollen after a couple hours from eS cupsoles, but pink/swollen*0.5 after a session in 1010s.

The construction on 1010 and 808 shoes just feel superior when holding it in hand, as opposed to a pair of Tyshawns or that weird Blondey (indoor soccer) shoe. Busenitz flicks better than Tyshawns for me, but I’m not a fan of the heel like the majority of people on this board. NB are tanks made of high-quality materials while Adidas is lower-quality (than NB), but better for flip tricks. NB is heavier and more comfortable, while Adidas is lighter/pointier. 1010s hurt my feet the least but I have to change my foot positions for setting up tricks, since I’m going from lighter/pointier to heavier/wider.

I’m curious about the Forum Lows.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2023, 11:49:26 AM »
I'm feeling these:
https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/mod-navy-suede-ms1230266b00

Look wide enough as well...bit heavy on the AVEs look tho.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2023, 12:31:26 PM »
Yeah, its DC

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2023, 01:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, its DC

As for NB/Adi it depends on the shoe...the Tyshawn and Tiago shoes are the best from each brand imo.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2023, 01:12:37 PM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2023, 03:44:18 PM »
FFS show some skating....and no one ollie doesn't count...fire that trying to be artsy intern who put that trash together.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2023, 11:49:46 PM »
I'm feeling these:

Those are so damn weird looking and idk if I like them or hate then but sure I appreciate the design risk taken in there, we need more shoes like that in skateboarding. 
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2023, 01:40:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm feeling these:

[close]
Those are so damn weird looking and idk if I like them or hate then but sure I appreciate the design risk taken in there, we need more shoes like that in skateboarding. 

you guys wanna go bowling after we skate?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2023, 04:14:06 AM »
I’m curious about the Forum Lows.

I recently nabbed a pair of Forum ADVs (first dip into big, bulky court shoe cupsoles), and they’re easily the most supportive, comfortable skate shoe in my closet. Boardfeel is limited due to the thickness of the rubber, and there’s enough room inside for a cushy insole if that’s your thing. To me they don’t feel as heavy as their bulk would suggest, but they’re tanks. Very solid. I’m not sure if the fit is wide wide, but I have a little room to move in there (I think I’m pretty average width).

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2023, 04:48:00 AM »
If you’re patient with a thicker, court style cupsole then you will be greatly rewarded. Nothing like them once they’re broken in.

I found some Adidas Top Tens for $25 the other day, I’m stoked to break them in.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2023, 05:58:59 AM »
^^
Thanks for the input. I’ll pick up a pair of Forum Lows before getting another pair of 1010s so I can compare durability.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm feeling these:

[close]
[close]
The top view is the grossest view, but I dig how the design puts functionality/durability over looks. Plus, it has lace protection.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2023, 01:15:45 PM »
^^
Thanks for the input. I’ll pick up a pair of Forum Lows before getting another pair of 1010s so I can compare durability.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm feeling these:

[close]
[close]

[close]
The top view is the grossest view, but I dig how the design puts functionality/durability over looks. Plus, it has lace protection.

yeah, the tech and side views are intriguing.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2023, 01:50:23 PM »
The Lakai Mods do look interesting. I would be worried they might pinch weird around the toes though. That's the biggest problem I have with so many shoes that are out right now. So many of them are made for skinny twig feet or just rub or pinch across the foot in some way that makes them very uncomfortable for me. Sizing up doesn't always work either, because then I run into other problems like heel slip.

I'm typically not a fan of Vans at all based on past experiences but I've reached the point where I'm willing to try anything so I have a pair of the BMX waffle cup models on the way to try. Also going to try a vulc Emerica mid top and the 'eS Stylus mids along with Tyshawns and some DC Metrics. I'll probably end up returning most of these but need to be able to try them on at home and walk around for a bit with them.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2023, 02:13:28 PM »
^^

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm feeling these:

[close]
[close]
[close]

For reference, right is a Superstar ADV (which I consider to be big and hefty in its own right), and you can see how the Forum ADV kinda dwarfs it in terms of the padding around the ankle and the width of the outsole heel.

blahblah999

« Reply #295 on: March 01, 2023, 02:33:03 PM »

For reference, right is a Superstar ADV (which I consider to be big and hefty in its own right), and you can see how the Forum ADV kinda dwarfs it in terms of the padding around the ankle and the width of the outsole heel.

Do the Forum ADV come with a removable insole? Or is the insole glued in?

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #296 on: March 01, 2023, 05:25:20 PM »
^^

Keep us posted on the forums in relation to the 1010. I’d especially like to hear if the arch support and heel stabilization is as good as well as your general thoughts.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #297 on: March 01, 2023, 06:14:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do the Forum ADV come with a removable insole? Or is the insole glued in?

Removable. I think it was essentially that same thin blue foam job with the hexagons on the bottom that seems to come with most of the models now. I use a thicker aftermarket insole with no issues, though.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »
I know it will surprise many, but I really wanted to highlight these shoes..

(I think they are much more accessible to Europeans though.)

The Cupsole models from Decathlon !

I have ridden these shoes for a long time, I can't find a better cupsole honestly.. But I haven't tried many other shoes!

They protect me enormously, a perfect fit!

Here is the video that explains the design of this shoe (English subtitles that you can activate)

I know some are probably shocked "WHAT ? DECATHLON ?" , but know that all the shoes have been created and worked on by true skaters since 2017, they have really created their brand "Decathlon skateboarding", so it's really access on the skate and apart from the sports store, and a very good value for money ! And I repeat, but I have never had such a cool and protective shoe! The shape is perfect, cupsole but not huge and very sharp, perfect for flips. I remain faithful to the real brands (Emerica always in my heart  :-*) for walking, but for skating they don't protect me enough .. !

Decathlon have also made a vulc model, very pretty and very good value for money, but, cupsole forever now !

( And see if people are interested in the video of the manufacture of the new Vulc, as you can see that everything is meticulously worked : )

blahblah999

Re: Old Man Skate Shoes
« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2023, 01:17:19 PM »
Some of the shoes I ordered arrived today, here are my impressions:

DC Metric:

Techy shoe, made of nubuck and mesh paneling with a partially exposed foam midsole. Outsole seems solid, with a bit more density in the area I typically wear out. Tongue has some padding, but not overly puffy like a 90s/early 2000s shoe. I like the construction, especially since the mesh portions are flexible and would presumably provide more ventilation than an all suede or leather shoe. Heel area is cut a little lower than I would like.

Sizing runs small and my usual size 10 did not work. Toes are crammed toward the front of the shoe. Size 10.5 nominally fits but the there is faintest amount of heel slip and part of the inside of the shoe is rubbing on the outer edge of my foot.  Stock insoles are cheap flat green foam, nothing special. The FP 3mm Orthotic seemed to fit in this okay.

I really wanted to like this shoe, but it didn't work for me fit wise. I would still encourage other people to try it.

Emerica KSL G6:

This shoe is much more plain on the outside than the Metric. Construction doesn't seem as impressive but appears solid enough. The upper is a mix of nubuck and suede. Personally I would prefer all suede or maybe a suede/mesh combo. Heel is cut lower than I would like, but the overall fit is very good in my usual size. I would say these are true to size w/r/t my benchmark being NB and Hoka running sneakers.

Tongue is well-padded but not crazy puffy. "Spanky" logo on the tongue is just goofy. They should have just put "KSL" or something. There is plenty of volume in the shoe to accommodate a foot on the wider side of "D" width. No weird rubbing on the outside edge of the foot and zero heel slip when laced up with FP 3mm Orthotics. The stock insole is better than average with some arch support. Still kinda cheap, just like most stock insoles.

Overall I like this shoe more than I thought I would. Too bad it isn't available in a midtop, which would help the old man ankles. Still, it's good enough to make round one.

These are the other shoes I've tried so far that didn't work for me:

Nike: Ishod, Cortez, Dunks, Force 58, Blazers

NB: 440, 1010, 808

All of these shoes were either too narrow, not enough volume in the shoe, weird rubbing on outer edge of foot, or just felt like walking on bricks. If these shoes work for you, great. They did not work for me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 02:30:01 PM by blahblah999 »