Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37410 times)

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #330 on: March 09, 2023, 10:41:09 PM »
Any recommendations on the Ksl g6? I tried the regular gammas and liked them. Maybe a little too wide on the mid foot but otherwise good.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #331 on: March 09, 2023, 11:25:16 PM »
Any recommendations on the Ksl g6? I tried the regular gammas and liked them. Maybe a little too wide on the mid foot but otherwise good.
gave cupsole atm, also a roomy up in the toe box but that works better for my troll feet tbh

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2023, 06:20:13 AM »

I have feet that are wide at the front, decent volume, and narrow heels. The KSL G6 are some of the best fitting shoes for me so far and I have tried a lot of shoes. If you have a narrow foot and/or like a shoe with a low volume toebox, they might not be for you. Only way to know for sure is to try them.

No experience with Gammas but may try the G6 Gamma.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: March 10, 2023, 06:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have feet that are wide at the front, decent volume, and narrow heels. The KSL G6 are some of the best fitting shoes for me so far and I have tried a lot of shoes. If you have a narrow foot and/or like a shoe with a low volume toebox, they might not be for you. Only way to know for sure is to try them.

No experience with Gammas but may try the G6 Gamma.

Thanks! Sounds like a perfect shaped shoe for me. I have the non G6 Gammas and they're narrower and lower towards the toes. I wish the heel lock was a bit better, too.

Crap

• Rep: 77
Re: Old Man Skate Shoes
« Reply #334 on: March 10, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »
Expand Quote

@blahblah999, sounds like you've tried a lot and settled on a couple options, but the only ones I might add to your list to try on in the future if you're still looking might be the Skate Half Cabs. With the heel shank, the new Vans outsole is much more supportive than the old one, and I would argue that it feels more like a cupsole than the BMX/wafflecup sole. I haven't tried on the MC96, but the Half Cab tongue isn't as puffy and it doesn't have that cutout at the heel that I bet is bad for heel lock (this only applies to the regular Half Cab, not the Half Cab '92, which feels like the collar is a little lower). For what it's worth, I had the same fit problems with the Tyshawn mid and going up half a size did help - I didn't think it would either until I tried them on.
[close]

Last time I tried on a pair of Half Cabs was over 10 years ago now. I didn't like them at that time as they felt too unstructured and floppy. The HCs I remember from the 90s with the glued-in insole were the same way. No idea about the HC 92s either.

I don't know anything about the new Skate HCs and hadn't really considered them. I was kinda sorta eyeing the Vans Wayvee. I do kinda worry about the fit of those though.

Other shoes I had considered but may or may not bother trying are the 'eS Tom Penny 2 mid-tops, Emerica G6 Gamma, DC Lynx Zero, Adidas Forum ADV, etc.

The Skate Half Cabs might be worth at least a try-on if you have a shop nearby that has them. I *HATE* unstructured and floppy shoes and I wear cupsoles almost exclusively, but I can make the new Half Cabs work. The Vans Pro line (the generation prior to the current one) were all paper thin and not at all wearable for me, but the Skate Half Cabs are a lot more solid in the heel/collar area, and the sole feels thicker/more supportive due to the heel shank and the deeper tread. They just feel like they're built a little more solid overall than they used to be if that makes sense.

I haven't tried the Wayvee, but I have tried a couple other Wafflecup shoes, and I just found the soles to be too floppy/thin. I don't really get why they still make Wafflecup anymore - I feel like it's less supportive than the regular vulcs in the Skate line, now that they beefed up the standard sole construction a little bit.

Only other shoes on your list that I have any experience with were the Forum ADV's, and they did not work at all for me (bought them from the Adidas site when they first came out, tried them on once and sent them back immediately). Not much cushion or support in the sole, and there wasn't enough room to swap out the (very thin) insole. The volume was pretty low, too. They weren't what I wanted, but they might be the right shoes for someone who is looking for a really minimal cupsole, has a very narrow/thin foot, and doesn't need to switch insoles.

blahblah999

« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2023, 12:03:13 PM »

The Skate Half Cabs might be worth at least a try-on if you have a shop nearby that has them. I *HATE* unstructured and floppy shoes and I wear cupsoles almost exclusively, but I can make the new Half Cabs work. The Vans Pro line (the generation prior to the current one) were all paper thin and not at all wearable for me, but the Skate Half Cabs are a lot more solid in the heel/collar area, and the sole feels thicker/more supportive due to the heel shank and the deeper tread. They just feel like they're built a little more solid overall than they used to be if that makes sense.

I haven't tried the Wayvee, but I have tried a couple other Wafflecup shoes, and I just found the soles to be too floppy/thin. I don't really get why they still make Wafflecup anymore - I feel like it's less supportive than the regular vulcs in the Skate line, now that they beefed up the standard sole construction a little bit.

Only other shoes on your list that I have any experience with were the Forum ADV's, and they did not work at all for me (bought them from the Adidas site when they first came out, tried them on once and sent them back immediately). Not much cushion or support in the sole, and there wasn't enough room to swap out the (very thin) insole. The volume was pretty low, too. They weren't what I wanted, but they might be the right shoes for someone who is looking for a really minimal cupsole, has a very narrow/thin foot, and doesn't need to switch insoles.

Thanks for the feedback on those. I will eventually give the Skate Half Cabs a try. I can get them with free return shipping and an easy return if they don't work out. The closest local skate shop to me does not have a great selection of shoes. They carry a lot of Nike and NB but none of those worked for me and I tried a bunch of shoes there. I think there is a Vans shop in a mall or something on the other side of town but I'm rarely in that area. Probably easier to try on at home, especially since I need to be sure about the fit. You mentioned the heel shank? Are you talking about a shank like in a pair of workboots or something more like a plastic heelcup between layers of leather and fabric of the shoe's upper?

I will skip the Forum ADV based on your feedback. I can deal with a thin insole because I have thin Superfeet insoles I can use with shoes like that. The ones I have are substantially thinner than the Superfeet that most shops carry. That said I can't deal with a narrow shoe nor the low volume toebox.

In case anyone cares I was able to roughly measure the Vans Popcush insoles (from the BMX 114) with a set of calipers. The center heel thickness (NOT curved sidewalls) is ~12mm. Front of the insole near toes is ~3mm. Basically if you are looking to replace Popcush with orthotics or aftermarket insoles watch out for insoles that are too thick at the front by the toes. That can reduce the volume of the toebox and make the shoe fit tighter. If the heel of your aftermarket is thinner than a Popcush, it will just make your heel sit a little lower in the shoe.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2023, 12:10:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Another thing: I used to obsess about wearing shoes as small as possible. Bad.
Running stores fit me in 11s, often. Fits the arch better.
All to say, I’ve had much better luck, sizing up, and just getting used to the slip/slop. The ‘joggers loop’ I think it’s called, the lacing trick, that helps me with the narrow heel problems.
Godspeed.
[close]

Never had anyone at a store try to convince me on 11s. I've tried 10.5s before (half a size up) and that rarely works for me. Lace locks can help, sure, but they can only do so much with my feet. If I need to practically cut off circulation with them in order to avoid heel slip then it's an absolute no go. I can't deal with heel slip either because I get blisters from that.

I don't try too hard to make a shoe work when it's just not going to fit my feet properly. It doesn't matter how much I like the brand or style. I just move on. Everything is always down to the shape of the shoe's last, which few sneaker manufacturers even bother to describe in their product listings.

After trying all the shoes I've got 2 pairs that seem to fit fairly well. I could stop at this point and wait to try more after these are done. I could also try more shoes and see if there are any I like better than the 2 pairs that made the cut. Not sure what I will do just yet.

Summary:

These shoes are likely keepers:

Vans: BMX 114

Emerica: KSL G6

Didn't work:

Nike: Ishod, Cortez, Dunks, Force 58, Blazers

NB: 440, 1010, 808

DC: Metric

Emerica: Pillar

'eS: Stylus Mid

Adidas: Tyshawn Mid

Vans: MC 96

Have you tried the Etnies Marana? Based on how you described your feet and liking the Emerica KSL G6 it seems like the Etnies Marana might be another option for you. I would say the KSL as a whole is wider but Marana better craftsmanship/built quality

blahblah999

« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2023, 12:35:10 PM »

Have you tried the Etnies Marana? Based on how you described your feet and liking the Emerica KSL G6 it seems like the Etnies Marana might be another option for you. I would say the KSL as a whole is wider but Marana better craftsmanship/built quality

I have not. I could try it at some point.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #338 on: March 11, 2023, 10:00:52 AM »
The Forum lows by Adidas have been treating me right for a while. Good board feel and can walk around in them for hours after skating. Wish half-cabs were like that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2023, 04:26:04 AM »
still rocking the forum mid/ MXA/ Lil Dre Colorway!
Bit more beefed than a dunk, super solid at first but surprisingly great boardfeel. for me at least, i skate cupsoles exclusively mostly dunks when i can get them. Forum Mids were not looking very beat up after 3 weeks of skating them (mind this being twice a week for like 4 hours and not daily).

Still great looking/ lasting shoes that still have tons of life in them.

how anybody finds them floppy is beyond me, but maybe had the suede ones or the lows feel different?
Big fan of the foam midsole on these

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2023, 12:53:02 AM »
What is your opinion on the Westgate New Balance 508 ?

My current skate shoes are dead and I'm hesitant to try them on because I need protection for my heels and back.. I'm getting more and more picky about skate shoes, I need a lot of cushioning and support. protection!

If you have other shoes to advise me .. Not the tiago ones because I can't put 100 $ in shoes and I don't like the colors on sale haha

I am also very attracted by the Emerica gamma (Not G6) , being a big fan of the brand for a long time but I do not know if they protect enough .. (I was very disappointed on the models released after the reynolds G6 ..)

I also saw a pair of NB 440s but the" Challenger" models.. Is this good for skateboarding ?

Lots of questions but thank you for clarifying in my choice, me and my aging body.. haha  :-*
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:03:09 AM by FrenchSkater »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #341 on: March 13, 2023, 01:18:48 AM »

My current skate shoes are dead and I'm hesitant to try them on because I need protection for my heels and back.. I'm getting more and more picky about skate shoes, I need a lot of cushioning and support. protection!

If you have other shoes to advise me .. Not the tiago ones because I can't put 100 $ in shoes and I don't like the colors on sale haha

I am also very attracted by the Emerica gamma (Not G6) , being a big fan of the brand for a long time but I do not know if they protect enough .. (I was very disappointed on the models released after the reynolds G6 ..)

I also saw a pair of NB 440s but the" Challenger" models.. Is this good for skateboarding ?

Lots of questions but thank you for clarifying in my choice, me and my aging body.. haha  :-*

I tried all these shoe models you named.

Protection wise, the Emerica Gamma (non G6) would be the best. I have them as everyday wear shoe and they still feel like the first day after 9 months. But I had to half size down because I got crazy heel slip and my toes were swimming in my usual size.

The 508 didn't work for my feet. Too much room in the front of my toes and too narrow at the heel.

The 440 feels really snug and it doesn't really feel like a cupsole. I wear them inside the house to hopefully stretch the toe area out a bit.

But I have very flat and low volume feet, so your experience might be a bit different.
IG: @flowterspace

FrenchSkater

« Reply #342 on: March 13, 2023, 02:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Protection wise, the Emerica Gamma (non G6) would be the best. I have them as everyday wear shoe and they still feel like the first day after 9 months. But I had to half size down because I got crazy heel slip and my toes were swimming in my usual size.

The 508 didn't work for my feet. Too much room in the front of my toes and too narrow at the heel.

The 440 feels really snug and it doesn't really feel like a cupsole. I wear them inside the house to hopefully stretch the toe area out a bit.

But I have very flat and low volume feet, so your experience might be a bit different.

You reassure me with the gamma! Interesting to skate really .. and I will admit that it is much more my style than new balance or nike ahah

And I've heard a lot of negative opinions about westgates, because they look a lot more like vulcs than cupsoles..

Chronic85

« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2023, 02:41:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You reassure me with the gamma! Interesting to skate really .. and I will admit that it is much more my style than new balance or nike ahah

And I've heard a lot of negative opinions about westgates, because they look a lot more like vulcs than cupsoles..

Skated the Gamma, horrible shoe. Just a beefy Cupsole and a bit of padding on the sites, thats it.
You think the Gamma has more style than NB or Nike??
Fugly shoe.
Looks like a Hovercraft for your feet from above.
Emerica is trash expect for those nostalgic boomers defending them.

440s much too thin. Feels and skates like a Vulc. Pain after Session is inclusive.

You want protection, buy a 1010 or maybe an 808. I have plantar fasciitis on my left foot and insertional achilles tendonitis on my right. I have zero Pain in and after the session with those shoes.
Theyre fantastic!
And its not like you will rip through them in 2-3 sessions.
So maybe its worth to spend the money ;)

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2023, 03:02:45 AM »
Any thoughts on the NB 425? Or are they just a shittier version of the 440?

FrenchSkater

« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2023, 03:46:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Skated the Gamma, horrible shoe. Just a beefy Cupsole and a bit of padding on the sites, thats it.
Fugly shoe.

440s much too thin. Feels and skates like a Vulc. Pain after Session is inclusive.

You want protection, buy a 1010 or maybe an 808. I have plantar fasciitis on my left foot and insertional achilles tendonitis on my right. I have zero Pain in and after the session with those shoes.
Theyre fantastic!

HONESTLY ? YES ! Emerica have for me the MOST beautiful shoes !  :-* ;)

Chronic85

« Reply #346 on: March 13, 2023, 04:26:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fugly shoe.

Theyre fantastic!
[close]

HONESTLY ? YES ! Emerica have for me the MOST beautiful shoes !  :-* ;)

Nice. At least they still got some fans :)
Also thought the Gamma looks decent until i saw them from above.
Still if you want protection, cushioning and support you should try something else.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2023, 05:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the feedback on those. I will eventually give the Skate Half Cabs a try. I can get them with free return shipping and an easy return if they don't work out. The closest local skate shop to me does not have a great selection of shoes. They carry a lot of Nike and NB but none of those worked for me and I tried a bunch of shoes there. I think there is a Vans shop in a mall or something on the other side of town but I'm rarely in that area. Probably easier to try on at home, especially since I need to be sure about the fit. You mentioned the heel shank? Are you talking about a shank like in a pair of workboots or something more like a plastic heelcup between layers of leather and fabric of the shoe's upper?

Not as heavy duty as work boots would have, but yes, same concept. When they came out with the Skate line a couple years ago, Vans overhauled the soles for that line. Shank in the heel, deeper tread, and a new rubber compound. I mentioned Half Cabs specifically because they're the one I have experience with, but the Skate Old Skools, Eras, Sk8 Hi's, etc. will also have it. I have a couple of chronic foot problems, so the extra stability makes a big difference to me.

blahblah999

« Reply #348 on: March 13, 2023, 09:02:04 AM »

Not as heavy duty as work boots would have, but yes, same concept. When they came out with the Skate line a couple years ago, Vans overhauled the soles for that line. Shank in the heel, deeper tread, and a new rubber compound. I mentioned Half Cabs specifically because they're the one I have experience with, but the Skate Old Skools, Eras, Sk8 Hi's, etc. will also have it. I have a couple of chronic foot problems, so the extra stability makes a big difference to me.

When I tried the MC96 they definitely had something around of the back of the heel. Probably a plastic type material to stiffen the structure of the upper. That whole shoe felt like Half Cabs on steroids BTW. I would have liked the MC96s more if they had a better fabric lining in the heel area. Whatever they had was very thin and I could feel that hard plastic heel reinforcement in a way I didn't like. If the current Half Cabs are like that too, I probably wouldn't like that. FWIW the BMX 114 do not have this problem.

I never owned a pair of SK8 Hi BITD, but Old Skools were the first shoes I ever skated in back in the 90s. I found them generally terrible. I realize the new ones have been improved somewhat but there just isn't enough structure to those uppers for me. Putting a thin rubber layer between the canvas part and the thin lining probably won't fix that either. The SK8 His look like a better design overall because they have suede in the ollie area at least. The upper still seems very thin and unstructured though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2023, 09:35:17 AM »
Tiagos are easy to find on sale in any color. And 1 pair lasts forever. Most people get 1.5-2x the normal wear out of a pair. So if cost is an issue you really will get more than your money's worth compared to most skate shoes especially something like Vans.

440 plus Superfeet insoles are a good rec. Stock insole sucks.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2023, 09:39:39 AM »
What Superfeet insoles do you recommend?

blahblah999

« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2023, 10:13:06 AM »

If you're going to insult people for being old at least get it right. "Boomers" are people born after WW2 but before the mid-60s. Anyone "nostalgic" for Sole Tech shoes would be Gen X or an older Millennial. A "boomer" would have been skating in something like Vans or Chucks or Purcells.

blahblah999

Re: Old Man Skate Shoes Cont'd...
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2023, 05:54:14 PM »
So I didn't plan on it, but I was near a Vans store earlier today. I tried on some shoes there. Not as good as trying them at home but I have a general idea of what to try in the future if I want.

AVE shoes are very narrow and form fitting - like a soccer boot or something. Definitely a no-go for me.

Halfcab Skate version was better than expected. A bit more form-fitting than the MC96, but still plenty of room in the forefoot and toebox. Not bad.

Wayvees surprised me. Nice and roomy shoe though not everyone will like the partial mesh construction. I did not mind but wonder how breathable it really is. If it is breathable, it would probably make a decent skate shoe during the warmest months.

I also tried the BMX SK8-Hi model. These have the BMX waffle cup rather than a vulcanized sole like the regular models. This shoe fit a little better than expected but lacing was a pain and the upper was not as supportive as the Halfcab or the BMX114. There was a bit of heel slip too, but I didn't have the shoes laced up correctly. I'd have to try this model at home to be sure about the fit. I'd probably just stay with the 114 as I like that model a bit more overall.

FYI Vans stores are running a buy one, get one 1/2 off sale right now. Not sure if the same discount will happen online. The clerk told me he was not sure how long this sale would last, but that it would be on any pair of shoes, even a pair that were already discounted. Selection overall at the store I went to was not nearly as good as the website.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2023, 06:53:55 PM »
What Superfeet insoles do you recommend?

I use Run Comfort, others use Adapt Run. NB sells Superfeet insoles rebranded with their logo and these are great for shoes with a midsole. In Vans I used the Orange.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2023, 07:02:04 PM »
The wavy is a weird shoe for me. It’s really really wide. I had to lace them so tight the eyelet rows were almost touching. Liked just about everything else about the shoe tho.

blahblah999

« Reply #355 on: March 14, 2023, 04:43:35 AM »
The wavy is a weird shoe for me. It’s really really wide. I had to lace them so tight the eyelet rows were almost touching. Liked just about everything else about the shoe tho.

I would guess your feet are not very wide or you have low volume feet. I did not have those problems with the shoe but like any shoe it has pros and cons.

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #356 on: March 14, 2023, 07:04:27 AM »
Halfcab Skate version was better than expected. A bit more form-fitting than the MC96, but still plenty of room in the forefoot and toebox. Not bad.

I’ve found a pair of the Vans MC96 on sale online and I wanna try em out but wasn’t sure what size to go for - would you say to just go for the same size I wear in the Skate Half Cabs? And how would you say the height of the MCs compares to the half cabs? They look a bit taller than half cabs in pictures imo but might just be my eyes playing tricks

blahblah999

« Reply #357 on: March 14, 2023, 09:45:55 AM »

I’ve found a pair of the Vans MC96 on sale online and I wanna try em out but wasn’t sure what size to go for - would you say to just go for the same size I wear in the Skate Half Cabs? And how would you say the height of the MCs compares to the half cabs? They look a bit taller than half cabs in pictures imo but might just be my eyes playing tricks

I would recommend the same size you normally wear. The lacing system is different so you may have to lace them a little tighter than a pair of Half Cabs. Height of the upper is very similar to Half Cabs. They both have that "boaty" look to them.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2023, 12:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would recommend the same size you normally wear. The lacing system is different so you may have to lace them a little tighter than a pair of Half Cabs. Height of the upper is very similar to Half Cabs. They both have that "boaty" look to them.

fwiw i tried them on at the shop. i'm a us 8.5 and they only had a 9, i tried them out regardless and they felt a bit too big even to be worn just as casual shoes. specifically they felt a little long. width would have been fine i guess. i wear 8.5 or even 8 in half cabs. if i had to place an order on these i'd get an 8.5. use this info however you like.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2023, 09:50:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would guess your feet are not very wide or you have low volume feet. I did not have those problems with the shoe but like any shoe it has pros and cons.

I have a wide metatarsal area. Narrow arch, the mid foot area where the eyelets are is what I was referencing.

A wide foot can mean different strokes for different folks.