Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37460 times)

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #390 on: March 26, 2023, 07:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s time to give up on these size 13 Tyshawn’s. The impact protection is great, but they’re too tight (even after four months). Guess I’ll move to size 14 😖

Options are so limited when you’re a bigger guy.
[close]

Half size it?  I usually run a 10 but the for the ty I went 10.5, great fit.
It’s nearly impossible to find skate shoes in 13.5 sadly. I just see a pair of orange Tyshawn’s on Tactics. But no other sites have them in that size. I’d hate to get that size and never be able to find them again 😭

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2023, 10:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It’s time to give up on these size 13 Tyshawn’s. The impact protection is great, but they’re too tight (even after four months). Guess I’ll move to size 14 😖

Options are so limited when you’re a bigger guy.
[close]

Half size it?  I usually run a 10 but the for the ty I went 10.5, great fit.
[close]
It’s nearly impossible to find skate shoes in 13.5 sadly. I just see a pair of orange Tyshawn’s on Tactics. But no other sites have them in that size. I’d hate to get that size and never be able to find them again 😭

Unless you like the boxy DC shoes models. Those are usually available in 13.5 but they leave much to be desired

Going up 0.5 to 1.0 size and adding an insole on top can sometimes make those larger sizes work if you (or anyone else) haven't tried it yet. Usually cups work better than vulcs with this technique
Super Champion Fun Zone

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #392 on: March 30, 2023, 09:13:22 PM »
Got my pair of KSL G6 and have to say they look and feel dreamy. Stood on my board wearing them and I can definitely feel my board just right amount. Cant wait to skate these baddies. These are probably my favorite shoes next to Gammas right now. I was never really into Emerica shoes before but they're killing it with these cupsoles. I had a pair Reynolds G6 before but their fit killed my feet.
These are def tts but slightly snug around my forefoot. What I did was I wore double socks in them and walked around the house and they feel great now.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2023, 12:25:28 AM »
Hell yeah, I've had a bajillion emericas, mostly around 2005-2010ish

Ellington's, leos, tilts, Reynolds slims, hsus, spanlys, ksl's, ksl Dos, laced, etc etc

What I used to do with the cupsole ones was put em in the microwave for like 45 seconds per shoe and put a thick sock on and walk around for a while. Not with the ones with airbags or a bunch of metal eyelets though lol and usually only with the ones where the outsole is actually stitched on too cause idk about the glue situation but it was always fine back then. I was gonna microwave my dunk Hi's and superstar ADV's but tbh they already feel pretty good. I got a wide ass foot too. I put superfeet flex thin footbeds in the superstars and regular superfeet flex footbeds in the dunks though, the footbeds dunks come with are fuckin chonky

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #394 on: April 25, 2023, 04:54:51 PM »
Cons fastbreaks are treating me right...old school vibe (I rode hi cups as a yout), easy to break in GREAT grip (coming off Tyshawns, it's night day)..nylon or whatever gets dirty as fuck REAL fast but w/e...jury is out on durability but I don't see that nylon holding up...Cons AS-1 PRO next up May 02 tho.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2023, 07:34:44 PM »
Cons fastbreaks are treating me right...old school vibe (I rode hi cups as a yout), easy to break in GREAT grip (coming off Tyshawns, it's night day)..nylon or whatever gets dirty as fuck REAL fast but w/e...jury is out on durability but I don't see that nylon holding up...Cons AS-1 PRO next up May 02 tho.

How’s the fit? Do they fit big like the ctas or are they closer to tts? Was looking at some fastbreaks to order online but I don’t wanna have them too big or small

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2023, 08:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How’s the fit? Do they fit big like the ctas or are they closer to tts? Was looking at some fastbreaks to order online but I don’t wanna have them too big or small

@Wizard0f0dds

I was is in the same boat, no one local had any to try (and this forum was 50/50 TTS/Size down; but ALL online video reviews were size down 1/2 size) so I bit the bullet to get those blue/egret sage's (free/easy returns), then bit on some to skate during the last SW sale.

For Ref, I have on hand:

Lopez mid, premium suede 10 - TTS - don't wear them, they're so thin, probably kill my knees in one session.
Checkpoint pros (snakeskin/brown chillers) 10 - TTS
One Star Pro (gator skin blk/chillers/biz casual) 10 - TTS

Fastbreaks 9.5 and they fit me like a regs 10

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 08:33:57 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #397 on: April 25, 2023, 09:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@Wizard0f0dds

I was is in the same boat, no one local had any to try (and this forum was 50/50 TTS/Size down; but ALL online video reviews were size down 1/2 size) so I bit the bullet to get those blue/egret sage's (free/easy returns), then bit on some to skate during the last SW sale.

For Ref, I have on hand:

Lopez mid, premium suede 10 - TTS - don't wear them, they're so thin, probably kill my knees in one session.

They look cool dirty

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #398 on: April 25, 2023, 09:25:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@Wizard0f0dds

For Ref, I have on hand:

Sweet, thanks a lot mate, much appreciated!

newguy

« Reply #399 on: April 27, 2023, 10:41:05 AM »
Idk if sb dunk hi's are cupsoles but they're comfortable on/off the board, honestly I'd love to wear "core" shoes but they're simply not as comfortable or protective imo. NB shoes impressed me when I tried them on too. I also really love the DC hiking shoes collab they did last year, wear them all the time.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #400 on: April 28, 2023, 07:43:03 AM »
Idk if sb dunk hi's are cupsoles but they're comfortable on/off the board, honestly I'd love to wear "core" shoes but they're simply not as comfortable or protective imo. NB shoes impressed me when I tried them on too. I also really love the DC hiking shoes collab they did last year, wear them all the time.

sb dunks are definitely cupsoles. they're great and last forever. which dc hiking shoes did you get? navigators?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2023, 09:54:57 AM »
Etnies Faze

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #402 on: April 28, 2023, 09:57:03 AM »
1010/808 for sure.
Listen to this man
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

eSK3

« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2023, 10:15:14 AM »
1010, 808, 440, dunks(all not just sb), superstars, pro models, forums. Also Jordan’s 1-5 are all proven great skate shoes.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: April 28, 2023, 06:45:36 PM »
Some good mid-sizd options: NB# 440, 508, 1010, 808, DC Manteca 4 & Lynx Zero, Es Silo SC & Quattro, Etnies Marana, Adidas Tyshawn (low and high), Emerica KSL G6 & Gamma G6, Etnies Joslin & Windrow, Nike SB Dunks & Force 58, Adidas Busenitz & Superstar

Big boy cups: DC Lynx OG, Clocker, Kalis 1 OG, Es Accel OG/Penny 2
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:18:56 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

disparatethoughts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #405 on: April 28, 2023, 09:23:33 PM »
440 his are the best shoe I've skated in recent years. Any other high tops that are just as good if not better?

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #406 on: April 29, 2023, 01:13:33 AM »
I really like my KSL G6s now that they're broken in. 440 highs are also a new favorite.

newguy

« Reply #407 on: April 29, 2023, 03:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sb dunks are definitely cupsoles. they're great and last forever. which dc hiking shoes did you get? navigators?

yeah, i got these. They actually skate really well too https://www.milk-store.com/en/products/pop-trading-co-x-dc-shoes-navigator

DanRar009

• Rep: 50
« Reply #408 on: April 29, 2023, 03:27:06 AM »
Expand Quote
1010/808 for sure.
[close]
Listen to this man

Back this 100 percent. Skated both 1010 and 808 and can’t see myself buying anything else

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #409 on: April 29, 2023, 07:05:05 AM »
Im 47 and some shoes just pinch my feet in a weird way and make my pinky toe feel like it is going to fall off. DC Lynx Zero (I’ve had 3-4 pairs of these) and the KSL G6 do not do this to my feet. I’m looking at 1010s next but do have one more pair of KSLs to use up first. So maybe those.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2023, 04:21:55 PM »
440 his are the best shoe I've skated in recent years. Any other high tops that are just as good if not better?

Adidas Forum Mid or High could contend but they're a stiffer sole & more padding than 440. Dunk Highs, Marana Mid (no longer made tho), Adidas new Superskate (don't know if it's any good yet)
Super Champion Fun Zone

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2023, 05:23:54 PM »
Looking for a recommendation for a friend that's available in 7.5M (TTS). He skates a lot of flat ground and drops. Boardfeel isn't too much of a concern and impact protection is a big plus. I was thinking about some of the DC models (Manteca or Metric maybe?) but I don't have any experience with those shoes. I was thinking of New Balance Numeric as well.

For reference, this is his shoe after about 2-1/2 weeks (Vans Kyle Walker).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 05:51:04 PM by yourbreakfsat »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2023, 06:46:31 PM »
Either of the Tiago, Adidas Forum, maybe The Spanky reissue? Vans durability isn't great and those seem to be really durable and the more expensive ones are often on sale.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: April 30, 2023, 07:50:28 PM »
Looking for a recommendation for a friend that's available in 7.5M (TTS). He skates a lot of flat ground and drops. Boardfeel isn't too much of a concern and impact protection is a big plus. I was thinking about some of the DC models (Manteca or Metric maybe?) but I don't have any experience with those shoes. I was thinking of New Balance Numeric as well.

For reference, this is his shoe after about 2-1/2 weeks (Vans Kyle Walker).

If he flips his board a lot on flatground or off drops, the Joslin or Marana models from Etnies last a longggg time, so those would be great suggestions.  I've skated both and flick my board a lot, so both have lasted me months if regular use
Super Champion Fun Zone

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #414 on: April 30, 2023, 08:01:30 PM »
Has anyone skated the Brandon Westgate 508 from NB# ???

Curious for any feedback.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2023, 09:57:25 AM »
Either of the Tiago, Adidas Forum, maybe The Spanky reissue? Vans durability isn't great and those seem to be really durable and the more expensive ones are often on sale.

Expand Quote
snip
[close]

If he flips his board a lot on flatground or off drops, the Joslin or Marana models from Etnies last a longggg time, so those would be great suggestions.  I've skated both and flick my board a lot, so both have lasted me months if regular use

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm leaning on the Etnies Joslins since they're on sale on the website but the NB Tiagos are also compelling.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »
Has anyone skated the Brandon Westgate 508 from NB# ???

Curious for any feedback.

I bought these almost about two months ago :

I've read quite a few negative reviews on it, saying it's not really a cupsole.. Honestly, I'm a super sensitive heel and back , this shoe protects me a lot ! The first session, you have to get used to the comfort which may seem strange, but afterwards, they are perfect ! I recommend them 100%! I'm curious to try a pair of New Balance that has a higher range, just the quality of the 508 is perfect, I dare not imagine the others.. I swear by New Balance now for protection !  :-*

And in terms of sturdiness, I've had them for almost two months, I skated regularly twice a week, sometimes 3, and a hole only appeared where I flick! And the cushioning is still there!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #417 on: May 02, 2023, 07:44:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
snip
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm leaning on the Etnies Joslins since they're on sale on the website but the NB Tiagos are also compelling.

1010 Tiago’s are polarizing in their fit, but the materials and the quality is best out rn, imo

disparatethoughts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #418 on: May 04, 2023, 04:32:24 PM »
I really like my KSL G6s now that they're broken in. 440 highs are also a new favorite.

Expand Quote
[close]

Adidas Forum Mid or High could contend but they're a stiffer sole & more padding than 440. Dunk Highs, Marana Mid (no longer made tho), Adidas new Superskate (don't know if it's any good yet)

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #419 on: May 04, 2023, 05:38:49 PM »
KSL G6 is just perfect.  Just started skating the Gamma G6 too and loving those so far  8)