Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37397 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #450 on: June 16, 2023, 11:32:10 PM »
I kinda hate the 808s. 440s feel and skate better to me, but my knees and shins are bad so I go with the protection. I don't get way anyone would skate them if they don't have to, though. You can absolutely skate better in a lighter shoe IMHO.

440s are basically vulcs in the forefoot though.
808 works if you've been skating for a number of years
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2023, 02:12:54 AM »
I dont have any problem with 440s being so thin in forefoot but if I skate in any Vans vulc I cant skate more than half an hour. Not really a fan of 808 type of shoe even though I've been skating 20+ years. I would say I'm fine with Emerica cups, they have the perfect sturdiness for me
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 09:39:49 AM by pops »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #452 on: June 20, 2023, 06:00:03 PM »
Nabbed a pair of the Forum low 84 ADVs, size 10 TTS - so far so good (haven't skated them yet) but the 'bulk' is what I wanted the Fastbreaks to be like and what I hope will be a nice broken in b-ball shoe.

They've got some 1010/808 chunk to them but having owned both of those you can tell these will break in faster (but probably wear out sooner) than either of the Tiagos.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 07:51:00 PM by Xen »

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #453 on: June 21, 2023, 02:48:46 PM »
just read many pages and not sure I made any progress on my decision... the 440 high, the fastbreak, and the crocket highs - are they floppy around the ankle or have a bit of structure? And how does the structure of the dunk highs compare to blazer mids or tyshawns?

OhioGuy

• Rep: 62
« Reply #454 on: June 21, 2023, 02:51:08 PM »
just read many pages and not sure I made any progress on my decision... the 440 high, the fastbreak, and the crocket highs - are they floppy around the ankle or have a bit of structure? And how does the structure of the dunk highs compare to blazer mids or tyshawns?
Can’t compare them to anything, but they have structure around the ankles. Not floppy at all. Cushioned and stiff.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #455 on: June 21, 2023, 04:34:21 PM »
Nabbed a pair of the Forum low 84 ADVs, size 10 TTS - so far so good (haven't skated them yet) but the 'bulk' is what I wanted the Fastbreaks to be like and what I hope will be a nice broken in b-ball shoe.

They've got some 1010/808 chunk to them but having owned both of those you can tell these will break in faster (but probably wear out sooner) than either of the Tiagos.
I used to skate this shoe all the time, it has a soft spot in my heart. One of the best adidas shoes out rn

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #456 on: June 21, 2023, 04:35:44 PM »
I know a lot of people have said this but I can’t recommend the 440 high enough

LebowskisRug

« Reply #457 on: June 21, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »

Crocket highs are floppy as shit once they break in. It's thin canvas with no structure up the ankle.

disparatethoughts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #458 on: June 21, 2023, 09:37:30 PM »

Fastbreaks are what got me into cupsoles but I like the 440 high more. Can't speak on the Crockett's.

pops

« Reply #459 on: June 21, 2023, 10:22:42 PM »
I know a lot of people have said this but I can’t recommend the 440 high enough

This. One the best shoes out there imo.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #460 on: June 22, 2023, 02:22:49 AM »
Is there a big/noticeable diffrence between vulc & cupsoles on cushing? Only tried the tiago 1010s before.

Ive been on last resort for the last two years, really nice shoes but as they wear down they're feeling super thin.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #461 on: June 22, 2023, 02:27:32 AM »
Is there a big/noticeable diffrence between vulc & cupsoles on cushing? Only tried the tiago 1010s before.

Ive been on last resort for the last two years, really nice shoes but as they wear down they're feeling super thin.
Day and night difference.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

skunty

« Reply #462 on: June 22, 2023, 07:13:58 AM »
for people who have tried both, between the fastbreak pro and the 440 high which would you say is more durable?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: June 22, 2023, 11:09:51 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed already - and I know people have strong opinions about the és reboot - but I gotta say the accel slim is the best shoe I've tried in a while. Perfect amount of bulky-ness for me and super comfortable insole. Just my $0.02 after finally buying a pair.

Fuck yes, can't wait to get back on the Swift 1.5 after the current DC shoes die.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

skunty

« Reply #464 on: June 22, 2023, 11:10:41 AM »
this might be a better post for the sale gear thread, but familia skateshop has 440 high in cream/black and fastbreaks in all navy available on the cheap in several sizes. just got some 440s for $55 shipped

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #465 on: June 26, 2023, 08:49:01 PM »
The Joslins were okay at first but felt like they got worse somehow the more I skated them. The uppers felt very hard and like they never broke in, and the soles were also hard and stiff. Ended up changing to the KSL G6s before fully destroying the Joslins. So far the KLS G6s feel really nice. Good amount of support and they are breaking in well.

I have the NB 508s on deck and I've been wearing them around to break them in. Already they feel a little too thin for my taste. When I walk on stairs I can feel the corners of the steps with the soles of my feet which is probably not gonna translate to much support for skating but I'll have to see how they actually perform.

pops

« Reply #466 on: June 26, 2023, 09:40:12 PM »
The Joslins were okay at first but felt like they got worse somehow the more I skated them. The uppers felt very hard and like they never broke in, and the soles were also hard and stiff. Ended up changing to the KSL G6s before fully destroying the Joslins. So far the KLS G6s feel really nice. Good amount of support and they are breaking in well.

I have the NB 508s on deck and I've been wearing them around to break them in. Already they feel a little too thin for my taste. When I walk on stairs I can feel the corners of the steps with the soles of my feet which is probably not gonna translate to much support for skating but I'll have to see how they actually perform.

KSL are a great shoe and they get better when they loosen up a bit.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: June 28, 2023, 10:03:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

KSL are were a great shoe and they get better when they loosen up a bit.

Fixed. Sad to see them go, they were great. Come on @EmericaTM .... keep them alive!

pops

« Reply #468 on: June 28, 2023, 10:14:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fixed. Sad to see them go, they were great. Come on @EmericaTM .... keep them alive!

Yup, they should've kept them. I almost dont want to skate my pair anymore knowing these will be my last and only pair in a while. :(

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: June 28, 2023, 10:20:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup, they should've kept them. I almost dont want to skate my pair anymore knowing these will be my last and only pair in a while. :(

That's why I jumped ship to the Joslins. Better to ween yourself off the good stuff when you it's over.

Guess they didn't sell well enough but apparently the pillar still sell well...as if a Mid KSL wouldn't be the fucking bees knees.

The focus looks ok...but I can't stand looking down on special ed rubber toe caps.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #470 on: June 28, 2023, 11:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

We have 2 new colorways of the KSL G6 dropping next month. The throwback colorway that was posted recently as well as a 20 years of This Is Skateboarding colorway.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 01:08:41 PM by EmericaTM »

pops

« Reply #471 on: June 30, 2023, 06:49:11 AM »
 Lol, I dont know what I'm doing but I just got the Shanahan Metrics. Totally not my usual style but they looked rad and I liked the Legacy slims so I hope these will work.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #472 on: June 30, 2023, 11:27:32 AM »
The Emerica site has KSLs up. I’ve been ordering my Wino cup slips right from them too to get those sales numbers up.

https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/ksl-g6-black-red-beige-6102000132-006

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #473 on: July 12, 2023, 08:13:50 AM »
I can't say enough good things about the Etnies Joslin.
I'll be skating in these until they stop making them.
Current pair:

And the 7 pairs before that:

I just picked up another 3 pairs recently for $44 each on the etnies site. So I've got 9 pairs on deck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #474 on: September 05, 2023, 01:56:23 PM »
Current pair:

I just picked up another 3 pairs recently for $44 each on the etnies site. So I've got 9 pairs on deck.

Okay, I think you are the expert I am looking for. I got my first pair of these shoes. It is not often that I try a shoe on and it immediately fits. These feel good so far. How long does it take to break them in?

Just for comparison, I wore nothing but Lakai Vulcs for the last 10 or so years. Had a few of the Atlantic's with the XLK cupsole but these Josl1n's feel very different.
IG: @flowterspace

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #475 on: September 05, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Current pair:

[close]

Okay, I think you are the expert I am looking for. I got my first pair of these shoes. It is not often that I try a shoe on and it immediately fits. These feel good so far. How long does it take to break them in?

Just for comparison, I wore nothing but Lakai Vulcs for the last 10 or so years. Had a few of the Atlantic's with the XLK cupsole but these Josl1n's feel very different.

The same thing happened to me the first time I tried a pair of these. They just fit my foot perfect.
I usually wear them to work for a couple weeks to break them in. Then the first couple sessions, they are still pretty stiff. But I like that. I want my shoes to feel like a boot and to feel protected.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: September 05, 2023, 05:02:13 PM »
Current pair:

What's wrong with all this worn shoes? No ollie holes/wear visible, and with that michelen grip...are the soles totally worn?

Just curious, I love the shoe.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #477 on: September 06, 2023, 01:24:48 PM »
Anyone had the Etnies Veer, Joslin and Marana? Do they all fit the same way or are there some differences? Differences as in toe shape and ankle padding for example.

Walked through the neighborhood with the Joslin's today.
Can't remember the last time I could do that without foot/ankle pain afterwards.
IG: @flowterspace

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #478 on: September 06, 2023, 03:22:24 PM »
Anyone had the Etnies Veer, Joslin and Marana? Do they all fit the same way or are there some differences? Differences as in toe shape and ankle padding for example.

Can't remember the last time I could do that without foot/ankle pain afterwards.

I mostly skate etnies Michelin cups, so I can chime in here.

All 3 should fit you in the same size. For me I had to 0.5 up to 11.5 in all three from my usual 11. 11.5 in all three fit comfortably and as expected (not too small or too big inside). I will say that Veer was not as padded and form fitting as the other two. This becomes more noticeable the longer you wear them.

Veer: kind of like a Marana meets a Joslin but not as padded as either of those two. The sole is deceptively thicker in the heel on the Veer than the Marana/Joslin. So your heel sits slightly higher in the Veer's back portion compared to Joslin and Marana. Boardfeel is there but for me, felt like less boardfeel but deceptively thinner feeling than Joslin/Marana. Kinda odd to describe but dull in boardfeel, in spite of feeling thin enough for it, while also being decently thick.

Durability on the Veer is mid. Not as good as the other two. Lots of stitched panels, which look great and feel great for structure, but some can rip kinda easily. Needs superglue/shoe goo.

I had to crank the laces down more and more the longer I wore/skated the Veer.

In summary, it's a "diet" modern mix of Joslin and Marana that is quality-wise more budget/affordable than the premium Etnies Michelin models, while still being adequate for skating.
Super Champion Fun Zone

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #479 on: September 06, 2023, 08:39:14 PM »
I bought a pair of Maranas recently. I was keen to try them; however, had to return them as they're too narrow for my feet. Currently skating the Tyshawn's, which fit well enough and feel mostly good to skate. I could probably do with a half size up, but 13.5s aren't available in Oz. I was considering trying the Joslins. If they're as narrow as the Maranas, I give them a miss.