Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37469 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #480 on: September 06, 2023, 09:22:30 PM »
All this lately Etnies talk in here got me kinda wanting some Joslins... Found those creamy white ones with small wolverine logo for a decent price but ofc I don't need shoes but you know how it goes...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #481 on: September 07, 2023, 12:57:27 AM »
I got the white Josl1n 6 months ago and started to skate them 7 sessions ago. The first 3 or 4 sessions weren't too nice due to boardfeel, but now it's getting really good. They are really comfy and durable and the Michelin Sole is one of the best Sole you can find on a skateboard shoe right now.
Also you can use nail polish remover to get rid of the wolverine/Monter logo, it looks way cleaner without it.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #482 on: September 07, 2023, 01:02:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't say enough good things about the Etnies Joslin.
I'll be skating in these until they stop making them.
Current pair:

And the 7 pairs before that:

I just picked up another 3 pairs recently for $44 each on the etnies site. So I've got 9 pairs on deck.
[close]

Okay, I think you are the expert I am looking for. I got my first pair of these shoes. It is not often that I try a shoe on and it immediately fits. These feel good so far. How long does it take to break them in?

Just for comparison, I wore nothing but Lakai Vulcs for the last 10 or so years. Had a few of the Atlantic's with the XLK cupsole but these Josl1n's feel very different.
For me it's around 4-5 sessions. Like 10 hours of skating to get a good boardfeel.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #483 on: September 07, 2023, 01:20:10 AM »
Thanks ya all pals.
IG: @flowterspace

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2023, 02:10:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Current pair:

I just picked up another 3 pairs recently for $44 each on the etnies site. So I've got 9 pairs on deck.
[close]

Okay, I think you are the expert I am looking for. I got my first pair of these shoes. It is not often that I try a shoe on and it immediately fits. These feel good so far. How long does it take to break them in?

Just for comparison, I wore nothing but Lakai Vulcs for the last 10 or so years. Had a few of the Atlantic's with the XLK cupsole but these Josl1n's feel very different.
[close]
For me it's around 4-5 sessions. Like 10 hours of skating to get a good boardfeel.

Hows the flick in these? About 4-5 years ago I tried some etnies I found at ross. They looked like the windrow. And they were slippery and the flick wasn't there. Been on the NB 440's for a bit now but they are hard to come by. At least in the color way that I want.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #485 on: September 07, 2023, 02:54:48 AM »
Joslin flick well. They grip and rip! That rubber grips hard but releases well. The shape of the toe panel is firm so you won't have mushy flick. You'll get a consistent flick for a long time.

It takes getting used to if you've never had them before but I love it. It's reliable and you never really get much of that "new Vans flick on new grip" feel where it sticks to your shoe unnecessarily
Super Champion Fun Zone

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #486 on: September 07, 2023, 03:44:33 AM »
I got the white Josl1n 6 months ago and started to skate them 7 sessions ago. The first 3 or 4 sessions weren't too nice due to boardfeel, but now it's getting really good. They are really comfy and durable and the Michelin Sole is one of the best Sole you can find on a skateboard shoe right now.
Also you can use nail polish remover to get rid of the wolverine/Monter logo, it looks way cleaner without it.

@Turtle Boy do you have a pic of the shoe with the logo removed? I’d like to see how it turned out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #487 on: September 07, 2023, 07:49:25 PM »

For anyone looking to cop some Joslins or Maranas, I agree on the Maranas being 0.25 size too small and the lack of stretch was squishing my feet for close to a month of (mostly) walking and (4 sessions) of skating. Very long break in time but they kept their shape and Michelin sole was really durable.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2023, 08:05:17 PM »
That's why the consensus is go 0.5 up in Marana and Joslin for most people. That toe cap on the Marana needs some walking and stretching to mold and become comfortable.

I've skated at least 10 pairs and every time I'd walk, stretch by hand, and massage that toe box so they were perfect to skate.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #489 on: September 08, 2023, 03:35:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@Turtle Boy do you have a pic of the shoe with the logo removed? I’d like to see how it turned out.

The shoes are a bit dirty but you get the idea.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #490 on: September 08, 2023, 04:06:23 AM »
I’m having shoe madness. I want to try some wide-ish size 14s with a cushioned forefoot, nothing thin like the 440s. I don’t care about board feel.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #491 on: September 08, 2023, 07:00:30 AM »
I’m having shoe madness. I want to try some wide-ish size 14s with a cushioned forefoot, nothing thin like the 440s. I don’t care about board feel.

1010s. the quality is awesome.

i haven’t had 808s, when i get over myself, i’ll get either the 808s/1010s, for those days when the feet are dying.
i wear straight leg pants, maybe a size up, and both of these shoes seem like a better look on someone 15 years younger (that person would still be old btw), than i.
the quality, the comfort of the 1010 was dope. i started skating dunks and got stuck on those, and they are decent too, slightly less bulky, fit the pants better, but there is some aesthetic baggage with those for certain. for me.
if you truly don’t care about looks there are plenty of these folks voting for the joslin’s.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:05:46 PM by Ok »

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #492 on: September 08, 2023, 10:30:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The shoes are a bit dirty but you get the idea.

Looks way better, next time I get a pair of these I’m definitely going to try this. Thanks for the photo @Turtle Boy

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #493 on: September 08, 2023, 01:10:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone had the Etnies Veer, Joslin and Marana? Do they all fit the same way or are there some differences? Differences as in toe shape and ankle padding for example.

Walked through the neighborhood with the Joslin's today.
Can't remember the last time I could do that without foot/ankle pain afterwards.
[close]

I mostly skate etnies Michelin cups, so I can chime in here.

All 3 should fit you in the same size. For me I had to 0.5 up to 11.5 in all three from my usual 11. 11.5 in all three fit comfortably and as expected (not too small or too big inside). I will say that Veer was not as padded and form fitting as the other two. This becomes more noticeable the longer you wear them.

Veer: kind of like a Marana meets a Joslin but not as padded as either of those two. The sole is deceptively thicker in the heel on the Veer than the Marana/Joslin. So your heel sits slightly higher in the Veer's back portion compared to Joslin and Marana. Boardfeel is there but for me, felt like less boardfeel but deceptively thinner feeling than Joslin/Marana. Kinda odd to describe but dull in boardfeel, in spite of feeling thin enough for it, while also being decently thick.

Durability on the Veer is mid. Not as good as the other two. Lots of stitched panels, which look great and feel great for structure, but some can rip kinda easily. Needs superglue/shoe goo.

I had to crank the laces down more and more the longer I wore/skated the Veer.

In summary, it's a "diet" modern mix of Joslin and Marana that is quality-wise more budget/affordable than the premium Etnies Michelin models, while still being adequate for skating.

Haven't tried the Veer. But I've had both the Joslin and Marana. The sole may be the same, but besides that they are very different. The Joslin is way more pointy. The Marana is a very round toebox. My flip tricks really suffered with it. The ankle opening seems way bigger on the Marana. I kept having to crank the laces and they still felt loose. There are no tongue straps in the Marana, and it needs some. I got 2 pairs of Marana's cheap to try out. 1 pair is only half way skated and I gave up on them. I hoping to unload the 2nd pair somewhere.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #494 on: September 08, 2023, 01:22:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What's wrong with all this worn shoes? No ollie holes/wear visible, and with that michelen grip...are the soles totally worn?

Just curious, I love the shoe.

I've yet to get an ollie hole all the way through in any of my Joslins. I'll tear up the collar of the shoe before that. The reason they all get retired for me is because of the sole balding. I just finished up this tan pair. Picture below. Once the sole starts getting smooth like that, my feet will be more sore than usual after a day of skating. It usually happens after 2 months of skating. If I was still young and broke (financially) I could totally make them last longer. But I'm not. I'm old and broke (physically).

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #495 on: September 09, 2023, 02:55:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

What's wrong with all this worn shoes? No ollie holes/wear visible, and with that michelen grip...are the soles totally worn?

[close]

I've yet to get an ollie hole all the way through in any of my Joslins. I'll tear up the collar of the shoe before that. The reason they all get retired for me is because of the sole balding. I just finished up this tan pair. Picture below. Once the sole starts getting smooth like that, my feet will be more sore than usual after a day of skating. It usually happens after 2 months of skating. If I was still young and broke (financially) I could totally make them last longer. But I'm not. I'm old and broke (physically).

How often were you skating in those two months? Every day? I thought the Michelin sole would hold up for a longer time to be honest.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2023, 06:10:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How often were you skating in those two months? Every day? I thought the Michelin sole would hold up for a longer time to be honest.
3 - 4 times a week

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2023, 08:31:07 PM »
A tip for the Michelin soles to extend their life when they're almost done. When the sole is starting to smooth like above (which honestly takes a solid ~2 months at leastto get like that with regular skating) is to swap in a new insole from another Joslin/Marana to rejuvenate the shoe for its last week or so and then swap back to the shoe you took it fom to start skating those. This makes the sole feel less thin since the insole compensates for the thinning rubber.

I've done this trick when rotating between Marana/Joslin and Joslin/Joslin when I wanna break in my second shoe but squeeze life out of the first one. Its helped break in the second shoe better and make the current shoe last longer
Super Champion Fun Zone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #498 on: September 21, 2023, 11:39:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Current pair:

[close]

[close]

Just had my first real session in the Josl1n's. Took me an hour to get used to the feel of them because I was on thin vulc shoes the last 10+ years. Skated for 3 hours non stop, mostly flat and a bit of banks and flatrail. Bailed a lot of things and landed in strange positions but my feet always felt secured. And the best thing, they don't hurt now. The shoes still feel a bit too stiff for my liking, maybe it will be better the next sessions. But so far, I am impressed.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #499 on: September 21, 2023, 12:07:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Current pair:

[close]

[close]
[close]

Just had my first real session in the Josl1n's. Took me an hour to get used to the feel of them because I was on thin vulc shoes the last 10+ years. Skated for 3 hours non stop, mostly flat and a bit of banks and flatrail. Bailed a lot of things and landed in strange positions but my feet always felt secured. And the best thing, they don't hurt now. The shoes still feel a bit too stiff for my liking, maybe it will be better the next sessions. But so far, I am impressed.

This is why I (wore) wear any new skate shoe for a week minimum prior to skating, even if it's just around the house (new shoes only).

Skating new shoes sucks.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #500 on: September 21, 2023, 01:18:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Current pair:

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

This is why I (wore) wear any new skate shoe for a week minimum prior to skating, even if it's just around the house (new shoes only).

Skating new shoes sucks.

I wore these shoes in my apartment and just walking outside for 2 hours, but yeah. You are right. What I forgot to mention. I found the stock insole of the Josl1n a bit too thick and I replaced it with a thinner one. Might try some FP 5mm flat ones in there.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: October 05, 2023, 01:10:28 PM »
Is it possible to make a cupsole shoe a tiny bit longer?
Like 3mm? It seems like my left (back) foot is 3mm longer as my right (front) foot. If I size up half a size, the shoe feels way too long on my right foot.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #502 on: October 05, 2023, 05:03:28 PM »
Like 3mm? It seems like my left (back) foot is 3mm longer as my right (front) foot. If I size up half a size, the shoe feels way too long on my right foot.

i crammed my feet into cleats, into skate shoes, cycling shoes, etc. when i bought fancy boots i bought them in a small size.
looking back….i really don’t know how i got started on this. i never had some catastrophic slam to both shoes ejecting or anything, never had a shoe fly off. i’ve got narrow heels. most shoes slip in the back. i, somewhere in my late 30s, figured out that it’s better to have heel slip, than crunched toes. i promise. don’t do this to yourself. please. wear the bigger shoes. you’ll hate it. it will feel freaking gross.
and then it will not.
no more toe prisons

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #503 on: October 06, 2023, 08:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i crammed my feet into cleats, into skate shoes, cycling shoes, etc. when i bought fancy boots i bought them in a small size.
looking back….i really don’t know how i got started on this. i never had some catastrophic slam to both shoes ejecting or anything, never had a shoe fly off. i’ve got narrow heels. most shoes slip in the back. i, somewhere in my late 30s, figured out that it’s better to have heel slip, than crunched toes. i promise. don’t do this to yourself. please. wear the bigger shoes. you’ll hate it. it will feel freaking gross.
and then it will not.
no more toe prisons

Seconding this. You get used to it and i'm skating better than ever with less pain.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #504 on: October 09, 2023, 09:35:35 AM »
after skating the 808s for the past 2 months I can say that they only get better with time. the first half a month to a full month they felt insanely stiff and narrow, but once they really got broken in they've become the most comfortable shoes I've ever skated. the boardfeel is more than enough for what I skate and the support is unmatched. my only complaint is that the soles wear down sorta quickly but I still haven't worn any holes into the upper. aside from the durability of the outsole I couldn't recommend them enough if you don't mind a longer than average break-in period. I definitely see why people stand by new balance so loyally now

OhioGuy

« Reply #505 on: October 09, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »
Anyone know how the Forum Low ADV compares to SB Dunks? I’m on a quest to find retro basketball inspired skate shoes with thick soles.

I love the New Balance 480 cause the forefoot isn’t thinned out. I know SB Dunks have less padding for board feel. So I’m hoping Forums have more. I own some Fastbreak Pros and they’re basically vulcs on the forefoot like the NB 440s.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #506 on: October 09, 2023, 10:51:05 AM »
Anyone know how the Forum Low ADV compares to SB Dunks? I’m on a quest to find retro basketball inspired skate shoes with thick soles.

I love the New Balance 480 cause the forefoot isn’t thinned out. I know SB Dunks have less padding for board feel. So I’m hoping Forums have more. I own some Fastbreak Pros and they’re basically vulcs on the forefoot like the NB 440s.

84 ADVs are definitely thicker and more padded than Dunks in every way. Same fit width wise more or less and TTS. Leather ones break in faster/more IMO but after a couple sessions they feel exactly like a bulkier dunk so youre right on the money. Lotta clearout sales right now, you wont be dissapointed ordering them

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #507 on: October 09, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »

The forum advs are so much chunkier than the Fastbreak pros it's not funny...fastbreaks went vulc 2nd session (still an awesome shoe tho); I don't skate dunks so can't compare.

ADVs are what I wanted for an 80s bball inspired cup - I'd say they fit nicely between the fastbreak and a 1010/808

OhioGuy

« Reply #508 on: October 09, 2023, 11:00:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

84 ADVs are definitely thicker and more padded than Dunks in every way. Same fit width wise more or less and TTS. Leather ones break in faster/more IMO but after a couple sessions they feel exactly like a bulkier dunk so youre right on the money. Lotta clearout sales right now, you wont be dissapointed ordering them
Thanks! 🙏🏾

I order the white/cream ones. Will probably get some more just to have something if I can’t get 480s, or just to switch it up.

OhioGuy

« Reply #509 on: October 09, 2023, 11:04:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The forum advs are so much chunkier than the Fastbreak pros it's not funny...fastbreaks went vulc 2nd session (still an awesome shoe tho); I don't skate dunks so can't compare.

ADVs are what I wanted for an 80s bball inspired cup - I'd say they fit nicely between the fastbreak and a 1010/808
Nice. I have the 808s, they take forever to break in snd run a little small. So I’m sure the Forum Lows will fit me better.