Author Topic: Numbers speculation  (Read 20303 times)

Shuh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Numbers speculation
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 07:56:45 PM »
I hate that i cant see magnus video part on YouTube, someone scoop him up quick. Adidas YouTube parts hardly stays past a year

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 08:39:00 PM »
if you dislike numbers for being kostons brand, I get that.
if you dislike numbers for being directionless/boring/inconsistent, I get that too.

To me the latter criticism is accurate for about 85% of current skate brands.
Beyond specific Koston hate, I don't get why this same numbers thread gets made once a month.

Unlike literally every other company, numbers doesnt put anything out

Anyway, durao on hardbody
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 11:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote
if you dislike numbers for being kostons brand, I get that.
if you dislike numbers for being directionless/boring/inconsistent, I get that too.

To me the latter criticism is accurate for about 85% of current skate brands.
Beyond specific Koston hate, I don't get why this same numbers thread gets made once a month.
[close]
Just crunching the numbers again to see if the result will be different
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2021, 01:34:18 AM »
I don’t get why people still talk about Koston like he needs a board sponsor to survive. After changing the game for several years, he’s sitting on a shit ton of shoe royalty(pre-Nike, even), Nike, and video game $$$. He probably invested wisely, too. I’m sure he’s an asshole, yeah, but when you get old you stop giving a shit, you’ll see.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just assumed Koston has retired from pro skateboarding and only heard about this so-called “Numbers” brand through Slap. Maybe it’s just a tax write off thing like Tidal was for Jay-Z.
[close]

Tidal was less of a write off and more of a MLM for rich people. Also, the whole concept of a "tax write off" doesn't exist the way most people assume it does, especially when it comes to hip hop's understanding of how it works.

Pete is right, no one wants to work with Koston where he's getting his own board & pro salary. Staba will do it because he owes Koston, but no other brand wants to go beyond giving him a guest board. He'll never starve since Nike will carry him the same way they did Gino, but that's pretty much where the ball stops (outside of getting boxes of Supreme clearance items that nobody wanted to buy). He'll never come out with a mind blowing comeback part that'd coax a brand into giving him a permanent home, and he couldn't even come close to skating on Guy's level during Number's lifespan. Maybe kooking it with his golf clubs/ pretending to be a jet setting rich yuppie since he got on Nike didn't do his work ethic any favors, that's when his ability to make decent video parts seemed to diminish. Someone mentioned Chronicles, but that looked more like a retirement part than anything. I know we grew up with Mouse/ Menikmati/ Yeah Right/ etc., but our infatuation with Koston is nothing more than grown men trying their hardest to cling onto our nostalgia of the past.

What would Koston do if he lost his spot at Nike as a legacy pro?
[close]

Agree with most of that.

But I don't think he would suffer if nike dropped him. Isn't he in on the berries?

I'm sure he receives a decent supplemental income stream from the Berries, but it's a lot more volatile than a dependable  Nike contract that specifies in black and white exactly what you'll be receiving each month. He also has to wack up the vlogging money between Borra and the rest of their sizable staff, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that Borra eats better off the Berries than Koston does since Koston knows it's the only real income stream that Borra has. He's probably made some smart decisions with his money over the years since he's surrounded himself with financial planners and business reps, but how long does that nest egg last if Nike decides to retire Koston to make room for a talented producer in their prime? I'm sure Nike wouldn't give him some sort of pension/ annuity, and without a guaranteed income he'd probably have to dramatically scale down his lifestyle in an effort to downsize & consolidate.

Koston is the exact kind of skater to let everyone think he's done, then come out with a full part, banger, after banger, hammer after hammer.
This is Eric Fucking Koston.
You might not like Koston the human, I don't, but I'm sure Koston the skateboarder is fully capable of doing anything he fucking wants to do on any skateboard, anytime he wants to.
Guy, too, fuck.
Do you really think Guy Mariano has been slipping?
The same applies.
He vanished down a rabbit hole full of the best drugs LA had to offer, and came back with 2 parts that blew doors and minds.
If you write these two off, as just kicking back on that Nike money and not making sure their skating remains at an elite level that can be activated with a week's warming up, you're going to get a big surprise, which is probably exactly the plan.

I agree that Koston is an amazing skateboarder, and I concur that he could still do whatever he wants on a skateboard from dork tricks to mindblowing enders. The problem is that he doesn't appear to want to push his level of skating, especially when you compare what he's put out to Guy's footage during the time that Numbers has existed. Guy will always be good, he's a genuinely nice guy w/ friends in the right places who's easy to work with and competes with himself to skate on a high level. Koston has an intimidating personality who's slowed down his work ethic to fly around the world and play golf, and the quality of his clips reflect that. If Guy and Koston had to make sponsor me tapes right now, it wouldn't be a question as to who would do better. And sure Koston can probably get serious for a month and come back with something awesome, but he seems like he's over it and there will always be someone who's in their prime & willing to put more work in. He thought he was going to capitalize on having Antonio under his wing by making a board brand with Guy, and then figured he could harness talent in a super-team fashion to profit off of them pushing boundaries, but then he realized that running a company takes inspiration/ creativity/ passion/ compromise/ strategic planning/ finding your niche. In the end you had a fabricated team with awful board graphics and absolutely no direction, and the way they teetered between super team and small core company came off like he was trying to fuse Primitive or Plan B with FA. Who was Numbers being marketed to? Obviously no one, since none of us have really seen them in the wild. It was an uninspired way to make a retirement home for a guy who nobody wants to work with long term, a guy who has no intention of putting work into properly maintaining a spot on a team. Idk the exact story behind why Eric and Guy left Girl, but I'm sure his arrangement with Rick and Mike was less of a loss than Numbers wound up being.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »
Saw Mariano was riding a blank deck in that Thunder ad and checked the Numbers website. It's down.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2021, 03:30:28 PM »
Saw Mariano was riding a blank deck in that Thunder ad and checked the Numbers website. It's down.

i reckon he's gonna land on hockey or fa.

michael scarn

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Patrick Kingongo on Mostly Skateboarding said Guy for Girl or nothing else. I disagree, but given the recent direction Crail has been going, it might be kinda dope.

Guy on Hockey makes sense to me.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2021, 03:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Patrick Kingongo on Mostly Skateboarding said Guy for Girl or nothing else. I disagree, but given the recent direction Crail has been going, it might be kinda dope.

would be cool for craig i guess but isn't that relationship a bit strained now? i wouldn't hold my breath.

i feel like he's pretty much gonna replace gino, but unlike gino he's gonna have substantial footage in their videos.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Guy on girl would be amazing.

Not gonna happen though
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
No way he would go back to Girl, and Girl shouldn't go down that well either.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2021, 05:40:30 PM »
koston started numbers solely because nobody else would sponsor (pay) him.
free max b

Wasnt it because he & guy got fucked over and lost their shares in fourstar when crailtap got bought out?

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2021, 06:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
free max b
[close]
Wasnt it because he & guy got fucked over and lost their shares in fourstar when crailtap got bought out?

If you relaunched four star in the niche between brixton and supreme, stand alone stores etc you would make a killing.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2021, 06:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
free max b
[close]
[close]

If you relaunched four star in the niche between brixton and supreme, stand alone stores etc you would make a killing.

you really think so? i don't think 4star was super relevant at any point to begin with. also the clothes were not that good, at least in my experience. pretty cheapishly made stuff. i owned a pretty sick jeans from them though when i was around 20.

but stranger things have happened. fucking awesome was a total blunder when it first started as a clothing company and look what it is now.

Johnny.Utah

• Rep: -6
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2021, 06:35:53 PM »
They should hand the company over to Puleo. Match made in heaven. 33, bitch!

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2021, 07:52:13 PM »
my 2 cents

Durao on girl
TX on primitive
Mariano on plan B
Kyron on isle

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2021, 07:59:09 PM »
my 2 cents

Mariano on plan B

disrespectful. lol
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »
my 2 cents

Durao on girl
TX on primitive
Mariano on plan B
Kyron on isle

durao was already flow for girl and they fucked that up

HelmetOfFate

• Rep: -2
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2021, 08:20:25 PM »
No way he would go back to Girl, and Girl shouldn't go down that well either.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:55 PM »
Expand Quote
free max b
[close]

i think a lot of it was that they were taking out loans against inventory to keep lakai afloat so crailtap and al it’s associated companies incurred massive debt and lakai could no longer pay their riders. wouldn’t be surprised if they also fucked them on the fourstar stock buyouts

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2021, 01:36:15 AM »
tony durable  ;D ;D ;D

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2021, 04:11:56 AM »
my 2 cents

Durao on girl
TX on primitive Chocolate
Mariano on plan B guest boards only. Maybe hockey.
Kyron on isle

TX should have always been on chocolate. Would love to finally  see it happen.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2021, 06:32:35 AM »
Soo are Antonio, Cyrus and Max all free agents? Because if they ended up the same place that would be my favorite skateboard company.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2021, 07:18:46 AM »
Mariano on Darkstar would be cool.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »
koston is a scientologist kook

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2021, 11:23:47 AM »
Say what you will about Crailtap and their questionable business practices but at least they still exist

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
I’d like to see Koston on strangelove. I don’t really know why but i like to think the graphics for him would be good.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »
Could see Guy on Krooked

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
free max b
[close]
[close]

[close]

you really think so? i don't think 4star was super relevant at any point to begin with. also the clothes were not that good, at least in my experience. pretty cheapishly made stuff. i owned a pretty sick jeans from them though when i was around 20.

but stranger things have happened. fucking awesome was a total blunder when it first started as a clothing company and look what it is now.

Went to shit in the end but late 90s Four Star was extremely high quality.