Author Topic: Woodshop directory 2021  (Read 23475 times)

Crabby_Bastard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: Woodshop directory 2021
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is the lacking of decks in skate shops lately on the part of the woodshop, the shipper, or the skate shops themselves? i feel like the past 3 times i've gone into my local they haven't had any decks i would consider buying but i'm not sure if this is a me problem.
[close]

Where are you in the world (or what is your local shop)?

I follow a lot of shop accounts and many shops have had a solid restock or four since the issues with covid and lack of production for a few months, but I know there are still some shops that do not have any stock for whatever reason, a couple being they didn't order in time to get anything and it already sold out, or they don't have money to get more new product.  Either way, it is usually not a good sign.

US shops seem to be very well stocked again now, but a lot of other countries are still waiting on big drops and are nowhere near back to pre covid stock - Australia has some shops with some wood, but not many of others as an example.
[close]
I'm Bay Area in the US. I think the issue is probably that none of the brands that I am interested in buying are brands that restocked or dropped new decks recently, but I think the shops are a little lacking around me at least in diversity. Definitely not early COVID levels but lacking nonetheless. Thanks for the insight.
[close]

Who is your local and what brands do you want? Atlas has a massive amount of Sour, Passport, some of the stuff you won't see at 510 and vice versa. Add on FTC and you really should be covered.
[close]
Local is 510, also been to FTC super recently. Neither shops have had a 8.5 in FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND any of the times I've gone in. Pass-Port doesn't seen to be as square of a deck as the other brands which is what I'm going for. I haven't checked out Atlas before though.

Sorry for derailing this thread for what has come to be simply a me problem. I must just need to wait until the local shops/online shops get new deliveries of the square-ish brands. Really wish Quasi would drop some new decks though, I've been really wanting one and waiting since early Jan.

Atlas, Skateworks, and Red Curbs usually get full runs of those brands.
How much for an order of ribs?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2021, 01:53:59 PM »
Welcome on BBS

End of an era where I won't buy a Welcome board and the beginning of a new era where I still won't buy a Welcome board. 

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is the lacking of decks in skate shops lately on the part of the woodshop, the shipper, or the skate shops themselves? i feel like the past 3 times i've gone into my local they haven't had any decks i would consider buying but i'm not sure if this is a me problem.
[close]

I follow a lot of shop accounts and many shops have had a solid restock or four since the issues with covid and lack of production for a few months, but I know there are still some shops that do not have any stock for whatever reason, a couple being they didn't order in time to get anything and it already sold out, or they don't have money to get more new product.  Either way, it is usually not a good sign.

US shops seem to be very well stocked again now, but a lot of other countries are still waiting on big drops and are nowhere near back to pre covid stock - Australia has some shops with some wood, but not many of others as an example.
[close]
I'm Bay Area in the US. I think the issue is probably that none of the brands that I am interested in buying are brands that restocked or dropped new decks recently, but I think the shops are a little lacking around me at least in diversity. Definitely not early COVID levels but lacking nonetheless. Thanks for the insight.
[close]

Who is your local and what brands do you want? Atlas has a massive amount of Sour, Passport, some of the stuff you won't see at 510 and vice versa. Add on FTC and you really should be covered.
[close]
Local is 510, also been to FTC super recently. Neither shops have had a 8.5 in FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND any of the times I've gone in. Pass-Port doesn't seen to be as square of a deck as the other brands which is what I'm going for. I haven't checked out Atlas before though.

Sorry for derailing this thread for what has come to be simply a me problem. I must just need to wait until the local shops/online shops get new deliveries of the square-ish brands. Really wish Quasi would drop some new decks though, I've been really wanting one and waiting since early Jan.
I feel you, that 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 squarish shape from PS that Quasi use is my favourite shape, but when we get a Quasi drop in NZ it all goes super fast. I have found that a few other brands use it tho, but they're all cancelled in one way or another.
WKND
PIZZA
GX1000

When my last Quasi caked it i grabbed a Karsten Kleppan WKND. Hoping it lasts long enough for a new drop from Quasi or I might have to grab this Pizza "Pablo" that I've seen. I don't really want to support these companies but the options are very slim here, it's literally the same board, just different graphics.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I feel you, that 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 squarish shape from PS that Quasi use is my favourite shape, but when we get a Quasi drop in NZ it all goes super fast. I have found that a few other brands use it tho, but they're all cancelled in one way or another.
WKND
PIZZA
GX1000

When my last Quasi caked it i grabbed a Karsten Kleppan WKND. Hoping it lasts long enough for a new drop from Quasi or I might have to grab this Pizza "Pablo" that I've seen. I don't really want to support these companies but the options are very slim here, it's literally the same board, just different graphics.
I ended up getting an 8.5 Hockey to tide me over until Quasi drops more boards, which I really hope is soon because its been 4 months in the US. I didn't know Pizza used this shape, I'll keep that in mind if I get really desperate.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2021, 04:04:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
WKND
PIZZA
GX1000

[close]
I ended up getting an 8.5 Hockey to tide me over until Quasi drops more boards, which I really hope is soon because its been 4 months in the US. I didn't know Pizza used this shape, I'll keep that in mind if I get really desperate.
Yup i only found this out recently myself. Chances are this will be my next board. I'll just slap a sticker over the word PIZZA and lie to myself that it's something else. I've had bad luck trying out other boards in recent years, keep injuring myself, so I have to stick with what I know.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2021, 06:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
WKND
PIZZA
GX1000

[close]
[close]
Yup i only found this out recently myself. Chances are this will be my next board. I'll just slap a sticker over the word PIZZA and lie to myself that it's something else. I've had bad luck trying out other boards in recent years, keep injuring myself, so I have to stick with what I know.

GX uses this shape as well

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »
Who is making the most mellow popsicles these days?

Mellowest I have skated is Powell.   18 degree kicks on their 8.5' and down. 

I have heard DOA Flat as Fuck is also super mellow - but haven't skated one.

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2021, 01:29:58 PM »
Shorty's is using Clutch as of now

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
PS Stix Mellow: Toy Machine and Foundation label them on their website

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DOA Flat as Fuck (AKA E-mold) is the most mellow I've skated. Here is a pic of one next to a standard South Central deck (TBH shrink makes it look less flat):

SHHHH,ITSDONE

• Rep: -8
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »
If I get a chance in the next day or two I'll try to correct the list as best I can but I don't want to be responsible for keeping it updated.

...What qualifies you? ...AND for that fact what qualified initial poster of 2018(lol) and is it still accurate?
I used to know mostly back in the early 2000s till 2010 when my crew had a shop & park but shit's done now. ;)
...BUT if your qualified please do! Nothing more 'pressing' than the woodshop and its wood, brands be damned.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2208
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2021, 08:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
If I get a chance in the next day or two I'll try to correct the list as best I can but I don't want to be responsible for keeping it updated.
[close]

...What qualifies you? ...AND for that fact what qualified initial poster of 2018(lol) and is it still accurate?
I used to know mostly back in the early 2000s till 2010 when my crew had a shop & park but shit's done now. ;)
...BUT if your qualified please do! Nothing more 'pressing' than the woodshop and its wood, brands be damned.
Put some goddamned respect in your mouth when you're talking to Buttfart.
If you've spent more than a cursory 15 minutes in this forum, you'd know what qualifies ol' Rapedick; it's "the madness."
Also, said "madness" is apparently contagious, as I can attest; I recently purchased a set of digital calipers so I can get accurate stack height readings on various bushing/washer combos, as well as determine how much wheel has been worn off, etc.
If you don't want to start showing symptoms yourself, you may wish to avoid the gear nerds side of SLAP. God knows, I  wish I had!  ;)
Welcome, by the way, and shalom to you.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2021, 08:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wow your first post is asking someone else for their credentials?

Step tf of son
focus

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2021, 08:50:12 PM »
Street Plant on South Central (at least popsicles) - per their instagram story.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2021, 09:41:36 PM »
Is the woodshop list still being updated? First page is a mess since OP didn't feel like copy/pasting from the old thread.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2021, 09:55:45 PM »
Is the woodshop list still being updated? First page is a mess since OP didn't feel like copy/pasting from the old thread.

I feel like this whole thread should be deleted or someone who actually has Pal status or can update the FIRST post should start one.

At the time Buttfart didn't want that job, and I felt I was still a bit new back here again, but I can understand the constant attention a thread like that would need as things keep changing, new brands evolve, etc.

I am almost in a position now to do just that, start a CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY thread and happy to take interest in keeping it updated, but other people are going to have to keep me informed as I am not in the US.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I went and started one anyway, so lets see how it goes:

Current Woodshop Directory (as of March 2021)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.0

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:05:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SHHHH,ITSDONE

« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2021, 08:55:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If you've spent more than a cursory 15 minutes in this forum, you'd know what qualifies ol' Rapedick; it's "the madness."
Also, said "madness" is apparently contagious, as I can attest; I recently purchased a set of digital calipers so I can get accurate stack height readings on various bushing/washer combos, as well as determine how much wheel has been worn off, etc.
If you don't want to start showing symptoms yourself, you may wish to avoid the gear nerds side of SLAP. God knows, I  wish I had!  ;)
WORD. ...and thanks!?! ....OH, AND HAHA? (digi calis? noice!)
I had the madness for a minute B4 and now its sorta creeping back? its why some accuracy/clarity would be nice without having to do forensics on who is who and what they stand for or know.
I used to just grip it and rip it when I got boards whenever I needed them but after being removed for a while and having to pay full price...also many new brands and all this corner-cutting in business nowadays makes me curious and dubious.
As for any shit talk save it for your toilet, I can't be bothered to quote and respond to all. I'll just say I have been in the scene since the 90's (and sk8ng since the 80s if you couldnt place my "avatar") and left it after I got over it due to many factors, one of the main ones being my spot and crew got "gentrified".
This to shall pass...so while I care it would be good to know.
(...i barely can be bothered to figure out this forums flow and layout, like a time capsule of confusion and complication...liked SLAP the mag though, ...at times.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:26:29 PM by SHHHH,ITSDONE »

SHHHH,ITSDONE

« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2021, 09:55:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like this whole thread should be deleted or someone who actually has Pal status or can update the FIRST post should start one.

At the time Buttfart didn't want that job, and I felt I was still a bit new back here again, but I can understand the constant attention a thread like that would need as things keep changing, new brands evolve, etc.

I am almost in a position now to do just that, start a CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY thread and happy to take interest in keeping it updated, but other people are going to have to keep me informed as I am not in the US.

AWESOME AND RESPECT MATE!
...Any chances of getting feedback on quality of manufacturer's wood/boards? Like durability, stiffness, resins, epoxies, concaves, pressing style, etc.?...info like that. I know its a big ask but the more detail the more relevant.
AGAIN THANX FOR THE TIDY UPDATE.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2021, 10:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
...Any chances of getting feedback on quality of manufacturer's wood/boards? Like durability, stiffness, resins, epoxies, concaves, pressing style, etc.?...info like that. I know its a big ask but the more detail the more relevant.

Putting up information that is fact is one thing, but listing personal opinions on quality of boards including durability is another thing entirely, so doing something like that might be not such a good idea, apart from when people voice their opinions.

Example 1:  I have heard people say that they don't like Real decks because they break easily, but love Antihero decks because they last for ages, yet they are all made from the same wood, the same batch, in the same place.

Example 2:  From about twenty or more of all the same board, I have had one that got soggy very quickly and another one that broke the first day, compared to the other however many that all lasted very well and had no issues.  Imagine that someone only had the soggy or the first day break happen to them, so then all they thought of that brand was they were bad, for whatever reason.

At least in the normal forum, you can ask about certain brands or preferences and people can give their opinions on them, which happens with most of the posts in the Shoes and Gear threads.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2021, 11:05:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Putting up information that is fact is one thing, but listing personal opinions on quality of boards including durability is another thing entirely, so doing something like that might be not such a good idea, apart from when people voice their opinions.

Example 1:  I have heard people say that they don't like Real decks because they break easily, but love Antihero decks because they last for ages, yet they are all made from the same wood, the same batch, in the same place.

Example 2:  From about twenty or more of all the same board, I have had one that got soggy very quickly and another one that broke the first day, compared to the other however many that all lasted very well and had no issues.  Imagine that someone only had the soggy or the first day break happen to them, so then all they thought of that brand was they were bad, for whatever reason.

At least in the normal forum, you can ask about certain brands or preferences and people can give their opinions on them, which happens with most of the posts in the Shoes and Gear threads.

I’m just being annoying here, because I do agree with what you are saying....but I almost never like real boards, like anti hero boards, used to reeeeally like Krooked boards (they make them too long for me now). I know it’s the same shit. Or I’m pretty sure. But anti hero and krooked always felt better. I think I’m just proving your point here.
Carry on

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2021, 11:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I’m just being annoying here, because I do agree with what you are saying....but I almost never like real boards, like anti hero boards, used to reeeeally like Krooked boards (they make them too long for me now). I know it’s the same shit. Or I’m pretty sure. But anti hero and krooked always felt better. I think I’m just proving your point here.
Carry on

Ha yes, but at least that is exactly what this part is for - opinions on things - which everyone should have, so we are not just sheep.

I think that is almost as important as all the factual information, so at least people can make of it what they will.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2021, 02:57:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks Lou, but it's a fair question so I'll answer it. I'm no one special, just a dude who has some weird behavioral fixation issue where when I get interested in a topic I relentlessly research and mentally catalog it (before skate gear it was hockey fights and fighters).

I have been lucky enough to connect with a few people in the "industry" in the past year or two, one of whom is also severely afflicted by deck madness, so for certain brands like DOA and Scumco (which also happen to be my favorites) I can just ask the guy who runs it or someone else who will know. I'm also lucky enough to live near two shops (OneUp and now Radio) that have large and varied board walls and don't mind me digging through and measuring everything. Other good resources are skate warehouse, socal, ccs, premier skate shop, and a couple Japanese shops that take clear pics of their decks that show the top (where the identifying marks will be) and profile shots (to see how steep a deck is) and give accurate measurements. I have a govt job so I'm able to spend long periods of my work day just sitting at a computer and looking at decks.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

DOA Flat as Fuck (AKA E-mold) is the most mellow I've skated. Here is a pic of one next to a standard South Central deck (TBH shrink makes it look less flat):

Mellow boards are kind of my thing so I'll expand upon this. South Central E mold and toy mellow are both excellent shapes, I prefer the E mold because of the 14 25 wheelbase (toy does 14 and 14.5 on a lot of their 8.25 mellow). Powell 243 is fairly flat but the kicks on my flight deck were more of a medium and something about it was just slightly off.

PS Stix is kind of the undisputed king of mellow right now. They have several mellow molds and make so many boards that you can find just about any shape if you aren't picky about graphics. Aside from the TM/Foundation boards a few really good mellow PS boards I have/have looked at are (assume these all to be 8.25 since that's what I primarily skate)

- Quasi proto
- Dogtown street cross
- plan B (steep nose but mellow tail, hard to find these since they're using HLC now but you can still find some of the PS "pro spec" boards floating around)
- Free dome H mold (last run is a diff mold and steeper)
- Scumco Brian Downey (the pink one, very flat and similar to toy mold)
- Scumco Kyle Nicholson (similar to quasi but mine is less steep in the nose)

And finally my current favorite, the Scumco Evan Smith guest board. Full shape, not a lot of taper. Very mellow concave, nose and tail are mellow and lovely. Check my post in the setup thread for pics and more details.

For mellow non-PS decks some options:

- PGI boards are usually very flat and I like how they skate. Brands that use them - Blood Wizard (latest run is clutch though, so look for older graphics), skate mental, Maxallure, natural koncepts.
- Pennswood silver spoon
- DSM has some mellow molds. Palace, evisen etc use them. If you can find a creature cold press those are very flat too but they didn't make a lot of them so theyre hard to find.

I'm definitely missing some but hopefully it'll get you started.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »
Thanks bfrd. Always

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2021, 05:32:46 PM »
any shops have pennswood scumco 14" WB decks still in stock?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
WKND
PIZZA
GX1000

[close]
[close]

This graphic looks kinda awesome. Like I like the art

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2021, 08:06:53 PM »
Anyone know anything about skatepaige.com

they sell blank uncut decks in a bunch of sizes, which i've been looking for a decent source of uncut boards to mess around with.

From their site;

We started making decks in the old school days of 1984, for companies like JFA, Zorlac, Concrete Jungle, Transit, and more.  A million decks later, we still manufacture pro-quality skateboards for companies and individuals who remain loyal to American skateboarding.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2021, 09:23:11 PM »
Anyone know anything about skatepaige.com

they sell blank uncut decks in a bunch of sizes, which i've been looking for a decent source of uncut boards to mess around with.

From their site;

We started making decks in the old school days of 1984, for companies like JFA, Zorlac, Concrete Jungle, Transit, and more.  A million decks later, we still manufacture pro-quality skateboards for companies and individuals who remain loyal to American skateboarding.

I think a few people had "interesting" experiences with them, especially recently and am looking for the posts.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48527.msg3508343#msg3508343

This was the one I was looking for though:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113993.msg3497937#msg3497937

YutoBufoni

« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2021, 11:19:17 AM »
Keep hearing good things about this new wood in Colorado. Anno Domini i believe is the  manufactures name? Looks like they got a decent amount of brands. Anyone else heard / have more info?

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »
Just picked up a few Worble boards, threw out the shrink wrap but it had a warning sticker and is made in Mexico. I’m no expert identifying boards but I guess it is BBS? It had a 7k stamp between the front bolts. Also I really can’t manage to post a photo.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
Just picked up a few Worble boards, threw out the shrink wrap but it had a warning sticker and is made in Mexico. I’m no expert identifying boards but I guess it is BBS? It had a 7k stamp between the front bolts. Also I really can’t manage to post a photo.

7K + Mexico = Clutch