Author Topic: Woodshop directory 2021  (Read 23215 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop directory 2021
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 06:34:22 PM »
anyone has a link/contact for a good china woodshop?

Sure, if you are getting at least a thousand units, otherwise don't bother and buy from a normal skate shop, but there are definitely lots of links, eg look up skateboard manufacturing.

Oddly enough just looking through for other info and came across this post, from over ten years ago now from a DLX wood thread.  Seems some things have changed, but it is still pretty relevant - the big brands are still big, some have changed, or gone or whatever.

I just like the BBS video.

You can figure out quite a lot just from looking at the tops of decks. 

Anything with a PS# marking on the top of the front truck is PS Stix.  You'll usually see a country and if there isn't one, I just assume it's China.  99% sure all PS stix is either Mexico and China.  No more USA factory.  Element, Alien, Habitat, Plan B, Flip all use ps stix.

Everything under dwindle (almost, blind, darkstar, speed demons, enjoi, cliche) is pressed in China.

If you watch the bbs manufacturing video, you'll see DLX stuff being done there and you'll see Kayo, Blueprint and Alien stuff in the background.  Alien/Habitat use at least 3 different woodshops.  PS Stix, Bareback and unmarked Chinese pieces of shit.

Watson Laminates USA does Tum Yeto stuff.  You can see a sticker on the top of their decks.  Some of their price point/logo stuff doesn't have this sticker so beware.  Likely China.

Blackbox has their own factory (Cinco Maderas) in Mexico.  Everything except for P2's are made there.

NHS does Santa Cruz, Creature and Flip.  All P2's are made by NHS.

Pretty much anything that doesn't have a country or factory identifier, I assume is Chinese made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3VLKzOGD3I
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 07:10:15 PM »
damn, never seen that bbs video. but with all that machinery, they still manage to fuck up wheelbase and width measurements on occasion. still one of the best, though.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 07:11:46 PM »
Clutch is picking up a lot of the smaller companies business right now.
I have a Blood Wizard and a Coda -both ordered within the last month- both are Clutch B11 shape.

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »
I have a Blood Wizard and a Coda -both ordered within the last month- both are Clutch B11 shape.
do you like em? what size is a B11? they don't have it on their website. id be interested in a P2 if i could find one.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
do you like em? what size is a B11? they don't have it on their website. id be interested in a P2 if i could find one.

9” 14.5 WB with a tapered, pointy shape. About 8.75 over trucks. I have a top pic on around page 96 (as of today) of the 9” thread
 Edit- the wood is fine, just I’m really OCD about seeing my wheels from above and they just barely stick out with ACE’s. The tail is a little too long for me as well, but I had a square tail before so that might be my problem.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 08:07:11 PM »
April boards are BBS, with the laser detail really clear in the third pic from an Uprise shop post.

Thought I should include the zoomed image too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLkAPCRpNWw/

ballintoohard

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 10:11:43 AM »
I know Carpet uses BBS, wondering if anyone know of a similar shapes? They seem to have steep kicks but mellow concave, generally 14.25 WB and 31.8-9 length in 8-8.25. I’ve got 2 on ice but preparing for after.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
April boards are BBS, with the laser detail really clear in the third pic from an Uprise shop post.

Thought I should include the zoomed image too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLkAPCRpNWw/

Just set up and skated the Yuto eating deck yesterday. Huge difference compared to the DLX shapes I'm used to, same wheelbase but the tail is super long and the concave is way more mellow, so it felt long and flexible in the beginning of the sesh(lol).

The wood feels the same quality wise besides the shape differences, the long tail 6.81 according to tactics makes my cast thunders feel wayyyyy too low. Going to pick up some venture highs today to see if that's the magic combo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just set up and skated the Yuto eating deck yesterday. Huge difference compared to the DLX shapes I'm used to, same wheelbase but the tail is super long and the concave is way more mellow, so it felt long and flexible in the beginning of the sesh(lol).

The wood feels the same quality wise besides the shape differences, the long tail 6.81 according to tactics makes my cast thunders feel wayyyyy too low. Going to pick up some venture highs today to see if that's the magic combo

I had a conversation (DLX thread about generic shapes and short wheelbases on some brands but DLX have correct length to wheelbase decks), but April seem to have shorter wheelbases which combined with a "normal" length deck means that the nose and or tail are going to feel longer, just like Alien Workshop decks I bought to ride but got rid of very quickly - the normal length with short wheelbase made it feel so weird.

Some people might like that, and I like a good length tail but that was too long for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:19 PM »
The primitive board I bought has something similar with the nose...I'm ok with a bigger...mellower nose but it is kinda weird.....it's an ok compromise though because I find the average BBS wheelbase too long....

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2021, 07:15:51 AM »
I love primitive/april 8.25's with 14WB. It's pretty much perfect for me.  Everyone I skate with now that's all they skate. I'm worried skating these FA's are going to ruin it for me having gotten use to their super short tails.

ballintoohard

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »
FA have short tails and fatty steep noses.

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2021, 12:47:36 AM »
I recently got a krooked team eyes board and it didn't have any Roman numerals on it that deluxe boards normally have. Anyone else seen this?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 01:20:07 AM »
I recently got a krooked team eyes board and it didn't have any Roman numerals on it that deluxe boards normally have. Anyone else seen this?

Yes, some do not, as per one I just got, most do, but I am thinking it is more just covid shortage rush issues and the board still feels exactly the same and skates the same, so it is not a worry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 07:33:07 AM »
damn, never seen that bbs video. but with all that machinery, they still manage to fuck up wheelbase and width measurements on occasion. still one of the best, though.

I doubt this is the case for wheelbase but I think on Mason silva's nine club he mentions how real purposely picks weird numbers for example measurements  like 8.06 when they actually aren't that width.  Maybe the weird sizing is to differentiate them from the rest of the market. 

moeb74

• Rep: 1
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I had a conversation (DLX thread about generic shapes and short wheelbases on some brands but DLX have correct length to wheelbase decks), but April seem to have shorter wheelbases which combined with a "normal" length deck means that the nose and or tail are going to feel longer, just like Alien Workshop decks I bought to ride but got rid of very quickly - the normal length with short wheelbase made it feel so weird.

Some people might like that, and I like a good length tail but that was too long for me.

I k ow we've been talking but what is the 'correct' WB to length ratio? And what would that be for a 8.25 deck ?

Fooj

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »
I love primitive/april 8.25's with 14WB. It's pretty much perfect for me.  Everyone I skate with now that's all they skate. I'm worried skating these FA's are going to ruin it for me having gotten use to their super short tails.

What trucks and size of wheel do you like with them? Cast venture highs made the 7.81 tail feel more normal, like a DLX on cast thunders type normal. 

Fooj

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2021, 10:16:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I k ow we've been talking but what is the 'correct' WB to length ratio? And what would that be for a 8.25 deck ?

I think to figure this out you need to focus on the tail length in relation to how high or low your trucks/wheels are off the ground.  Short WB and short length probably have a 6.5" tail that have worked well with trucks 52mm or lower for me.  If the tail is around 6.7-6.8 then you'll probably be around 31.875-32 long and will probably need venture highs so the pop doesn't feel so soft.  They both put the board at the same angle when the tails on the ground so the pop ends up feeling similar for me, which is nice

moeb74

• Rep: 1
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think to figure this out you need to focus on the tail length in relation to how high or low your trucks/wheels are off the ground.  Short WB and short length probably have a 6.5" tail that have worked well with trucks 52mm or lower for me.  If the tail is around 6.7-6.8 then you'll probably be around 31.875-32 long and will probably need venture highs so the pop doesn't feel so soft.  They both put the board at the same angle when the tails on the ground so the pop ends up feeling similar for me, which is nice

Nice man thanks!

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 01:03:55 PM »
just got
FA have short tails and fatty steep noses.

just got 2 Habitat boards that are BBS , 8" with 14" WB and basically the exact same shape as FA boards, Older Habitat AWS. pretty fucking pumped.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
Not sure if Sci Fi Fantasy is going to have more board runs in the future or become a legit board company but regardless does anyone know where they're pressed?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 04:42:58 PM »
Not sure if Sci Fi Fantasy is going to have more board runs in the future or become a legit board company but regardless does anyone know where they're pressed?

People have said they are BBS

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
Random observation, but I think that the Polar Dane Brady memory palace deck at 8.125 is the exact same shape and is identical to the Anti Hero black eagle.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:31 PM »
Random observation, but I think that the Polar Dane Brady memory palace deck at 8.125 is the exact same shape and is identical to the Anti Hero black eagle.

Same dimensions 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase.

I have had 50+ black eagles and never seen a Polar 8.125 to compare, but being the same woodshop, I would not doubt it.  Looks like it too from seeing pics of them.

8.125" X 32"
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.25"
TAIL: 6.75"

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same dimensions 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase.

I have had 50+ black eagles and never seen a Polar 8.125 to compare, but being the same woodshop, I would not doubt it.  Looks like it too from seeing pics of them.

8.125" X 32"
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.25"
TAIL: 6.75"

I have them both, waiting to be skated, they both have the same shaped pointier kicks, even the same stain top ply(amber/orange) and sexy concave. I plan on skating them back to back.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »
Trying to get a new deck this weekend that is larger than my current 8.25 but I don't know if I should go up to 8.5 PS or 8.38 on a not PS woodshop. I want to get a square-ish deck so I'm thinking FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND/Polar/GX however I want to make sure that I'm not getting an 8.25 that is measured with the concave because that would defeat the purpose. Anyone know how to make this happen without clowning myself by taking a ruler into the shop or something? Is there a decent rule to go by in terms of sizing up with companies that have width varieties like these can?

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »
Trying to get a new deck this weekend that is larger than my current 8.25 but I don't know if I should go up to 8.5 PS or 8.38 on a not PS woodshop. I want to get a square-ish deck so I'm thinking FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND/Polar/GX however I want to make sure that I'm not getting an 8.25 that is measured with the concave because that would defeat the purpose. Anyone know how to make this happen without clowning myself by taking a ruler into the shop or something? Is there a decent rule to go by in terms of sizing up with companies that have width varieties like these can?

First off I would not put polar in the same category as those other brands as they are not the same style of squared shape. FA/Hockey are bbs nowadays and definitely run true to size. Quasi/WKND/GX are all ps and also have that similar square shape but I would say they tend to be flatter than FA/Hockey. They also would measure true to the listed measurements. I would say go for an 8.5 from any of these companies. One thing of note is that quasi has two 8.5 shapes one that is longer and one that is a standard length. I believe it’s a similar situation with WKND

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First off I would not put polar in the same category as those other brands as they are not the same style of squared shape. FA/Hockey are bbs nowadays and definitely run true to size. Quasi/WKND/GX are all ps and also have that similar square shape but I would say they tend to be flatter than FA/Hockey. They also would measure true to the listed measurements. I would say go for an 8.5 from any of these companies. One thing of note is that quasi has two 8.5 shapes one that is longer and one that is a standard length. I believe it’s a similar situation with WKND
I thought that the PS companies measured shorter than their actual width because of how PS measures the width. or are you saying that because the PS companies I'm looking at are mellow concave compared to the BBS companies, they should measure out fine but I should get an 8.5 from PS to be safe if I want to size up from my 8.25?

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »
Uma Landsleds.... anyone know who presses their boards?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
Uma Landsleds.... anyone know who presses their boards?

BBS

Like April pic above in this thread, they have a nice little laser logo and size around the front bolts area.

Stood on one the other day and felt like home.