Author Topic: Woodshop directory 2021  (Read 23474 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop directory 2021
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2021, 04:54:31 PM »
Random question: who owns/operates BBS?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2021, 07:23:22 PM »
Random question: who owns/operates BBS?

Grant Burns, as per the guy in the video from the last page and this rather long video with Stevie Williams, when he goes on a tour of the BBS woodshop.

From many accounts the guy is a really nice, genuine dude who cares for his workers and his product.

Never really hear or see much of him besides when people do things like this, which is by far the most in depth video of any woodshop I have ever seen...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:30:15 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

z_tx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2021, 11:00:04 PM »
what woodshop does Business & Company use?

GMann

• Rep: 17
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2021, 03:53:52 AM »
Are all the Primitive boards BRB / Generator? Including the cheaper team boards they sell at Zumiez and CCS?

Are all the Magenta boards sold in the USA made by BRB / Generator? Including team boards?

Are the $39 Tactics skateshop boards BRB / Generator? If so are they made with the same quality as the more expensive brand name boards?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2021, 06:17:02 AM »

If they are not BBS (or could be Clutch), they sure do a good job of looking just like BBS boards, concave, sticker, nothing else on them, even some of their shapes are very similar to FA squared off and others are shaped just like some other boards from BBS brands.

Close ups without having to log in to facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/spottampa/posts/-businessandcompany-new-decks-are-available-in-store-or-online-at-spottampa-now-/10157610712341197/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2021, 06:50:44 AM »
Are all the Primitive boards BRB / Generator? Including the cheaper team boards they sell at Zumiez and CCS?

Are all the Magenta boards sold in the USA made by BRB / Generator? Including team boards?

Are the $39 Tactics skateshop boards BRB / Generator? If so are they made with the same quality as the more expensive brand name boards?

Going to give it a guess and say all the boards I have seen before covid / heard are BBS of all of those, but going by my own experiences with DLX wood, there are pro quality and pricepoint quality, which is easy to see with the price.

The Generator decks supplied to a company I bought wood from felt quite different to the DLX wood I have and are much more like the DLX pricepoint decks, but they still held up really well for people who don't usually break a lot of boards.

For any of the cheaper pricepoint decks from Primitive, you would need to check the little diamond sticker on the top, as it has Made in...  Either Mexico (BBS) or China (not BBS)  The custom completes are just the pro boards built with whatever you want on them, but almost all / any company budget completes nowdays are out of China.

Magenta decks I have had were all the same wood, just a bit cheaper for team versions.

Tactics decks do seem to be reasonable to good boards, from what people say about them.  Never had one, but others on here like them well enough and have said they are BBS wood too.

If you are unable to see a board in person, you can ask for more info from a shop, which they usually answer easily enough.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2021, 07:51:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For any of the cheaper pricepoint decks from Primitive, you would need to check the little diamond sticker on the top, as it has Made in...  Either Mexico (BBS) or China (not BBS)  The custom completes are just the pro boards built with whatever you want on them, but almost all / any company budget completes nowdays are out of China.

I've seen Baker, Alien Workshop and Habitat completes for sale online, makes me wonder if they use China wood for this range of boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2021, 05:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've seen Baker, Alien Workshop and Habitat completes for sale online, makes me wonder if they use China wood for this range of boards.

Yes, all of those budget completes with generic parts (blank or no name brand trucks, board brand wheels, etc) from all those companies are made in China.

DLX completes included, along with Baker, Alien, Habitat, Primitive, DGK, etc.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2021, 05:09:41 PM »
I noticed on new Flip decks, they all seem to have the letter and number stamp indicative of Clutch wood.

Some places have very high res pics, which you can open up in their own window which clearly show the stamp.

Mainly on darker wood so harder to see, but these come up pretty well:

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they are not BBS (or could be Clutch), they sure do a good job of looking just like BBS boards, concave, sticker, nothing else on them, even some of their shapes are very similar to FA squared off and others are shaped just like some other boards from BBS brands.

https://www.facebook.com/spottampa/posts/-businessandcompany-new-decks-are-available-in-store-or-online-at-spottampa-now-/10157610712341197/

i'm thinking it's BBS, because if it were a squared/blunt shape Clutch that would mean its the "O" shape, and that shape isnt offered in the dimensions that Business & CO has

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2021, 12:26:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i'm thinking it's BBS, because if it were a squared/blunt shape Clutch that would mean its the "O" shape, and that shape isnt offered in the dimensions that Business & CO has

I was 99% sure it was BBS, but I know there have been some instances where stickers and board concave looks just like BBS but someone else has copied it, almost perfectly.

Guessing by his connections MJ can get the good stuff too, compared to another smaller brand without a pro / legend behind it, that has to settle for scraps from the other woodshops because the main ones will not deal with them.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2021, 03:19:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was 99% sure it was BBS, but I know there have been some instances where stickers and board concave looks just like BBS but someone else has copied it, almost perfectly.

Guessing by his connections MJ can get the good stuff too, compared to another smaller brand without a pro / legend behind it, that has to settle for scraps from the other woodshops because the main ones will not deal with them.
I’m almost 100 percent sure the biz and co deck I had was bbs if it helps anyone. As a dude who rides almost only bbs it felt right at home

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »
Woodshop is HLC for Sour as per info from XEN (as stated on the master list, which is old now).  Didn't know if they had also been changed with covid issues the way some other brands had.

https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/

Found this online:

The new name was the exact opposite of Sweet Skateboards. Today, Sour produces decks that are made in Europe, as well as a large line of clothing. The head office of the company, if you can call it that, is based in Barcelona. (20 Apr 2020)

From the Sour:

I've not set it up yet, but the 'fit and finish' does not resemble a DSM board; the sour's routered edge is rough in spots, DSM boards are baby bottom smooth everytime.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »
Dwindle boards (or other woodshop in China until someone works out where it is from)

Anyone have any ideas or confirm where these are from?

Finally found a 8.125 AWS with 31.75 length and 14.25 wb. I am stoked to say the least. Seems to be from the Dwindle factory due to that regrowth laser engraving but I never had problems with Dwindle wood.

Top view

So that regrowth logo is between the front bolts. No other markings. A barcode sticker which says made in china. On the foil of the graphic side is a little round silver sticker that says "Made with premium north american maple and glue". If that deck is a fake, it is a perfect copy with really good wood and glue. This deck is the Yaje Shelter graphic in 8.125 and before I had a Visitor also in 8.125 which was my golden deck so far.

Dwindle does the regrowth logo (graphic print, not laser etched) between the back trucks and the board specs between the front trucks, from what I have seen, but the "other" boards seem to only have the regrowth logo between the front trucks.

A normal Dwindle board, as per info above:

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2021, 03:21:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying to get a new deck this weekend that is larger than my current 8.25 but I don't know if I should go up to 8.5 PS or 8.38 on a not PS woodshop. I want to get a square-ish deck so I'm thinking FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND/Polar/GX however I want to make sure that I'm not getting an 8.25 that is measured with the concave because that would defeat the purpose. Anyone know how to make this happen without clowning myself by taking a ruler into the shop or something? Is there a decent rule to go by in terms of sizing up with companies that have width varieties like these can?
[close]

First off I would not put polar in the same category as those other brands as they are not the same style of squared shape. FA/Hockey are bbs nowadays and definitely run true to size. Quasi/WKND/GX are all ps and also have that similar square shape but I would say they tend to be flatter than FA/Hockey. They also would measure true to the listed measurements. I would say go for an 8.5 from any of these companies. One thing of note is that quasi has two 8.5 shapes one that is longer and one that is a standard length. I believe it’s a similar situation with WKND
[close]
I thought that the PS companies measured shorter than their actual width because of how PS measures the width. or are you saying that because the PS companies I'm looking at are mellow concave compared to the BBS companies, they should measure out fine but I should get an 8.5 from PS to be safe if I want to size up from my 8.25?
PS 8.5 measure up to more like 8.6+ in my experience. A PS 8.38 likely to be more like a BBS 8.5
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2021, 08:44:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying to get a new deck this weekend that is larger than my current 8.25 but I don't know if I should go up to 8.5 PS or 8.38 on a not PS woodshop. I want to get a square-ish deck so I'm thinking FA/Hockey/Quasi/WKND/Polar/GX however I want to make sure that I'm not getting an 8.25 that is measured with the concave because that would defeat the purpose. Anyone know how to make this happen without clowning myself by taking a ruler into the shop or something? Is there a decent rule to go by in terms of sizing up with companies that have width varieties like these can?
[close]

First off I would not put polar in the same category as those other brands as they are not the same style of squared shape. FA/Hockey are bbs nowadays and definitely run true to size. Quasi/WKND/GX are all ps and also have that similar square shape but I would say they tend to be flatter than FA/Hockey. They also would measure true to the listed measurements. I would say go for an 8.5 from any of these companies. One thing of note is that quasi has two 8.5 shapes one that is longer and one that is a standard length. I believe it’s a similar situation with WKND
[close]
I thought that the PS companies measured shorter than their actual width because of how PS measures the width. or are you saying that because the PS companies I'm looking at are mellow concave compared to the BBS companies, they should measure out fine but I should get an 8.5 from PS to be safe if I want to size up from my 8.25?
[close]
PS 8.5 measure up to more like 8.6+ in my experience. A PS 8.38 likely to be more like a BBS 8.5
you're saying that PS is actually wider than what they are listed as when you measure? are you measuring with or without the concave?

topfrog10

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2021, 08:47:47 AM »
is the lacking of decks in skate shops lately on the part of the woodshop, the shipper, or the skate shops themselves? i feel like the past 3 times i've gone into my local they haven't had any decks i would consider buying but i'm not sure if this is a me problem.

ballintoohard

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
Can anyone comment on Evisen shapes/concaves?

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2021, 01:58:53 PM »
Are all BBS 8.375 14.5 WB shapes actually 14.375 or just Polar? Thinking of 8.375 Anti-Hero's in particular.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »
Are all BBS 8.375 14.5 WB shapes actually 14.375 or just Polar? Thinking of 8.375 Anti-Hero's in particular.

Wait what ?

That's the shape I skate

You saying they're not 14.5?

All of them ? You measured many of them ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
I just measured mine it's bang on 14.5
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2021, 05:15:58 PM »
is the lacking of decks in skate shops lately on the part of the woodshop, the shipper, or the skate shops themselves? i feel like the past 3 times i've gone into my local they haven't had any decks i would consider buying but i'm not sure if this is a me problem.

Where are you in the world (or what is your local shop)?

I follow a lot of shop accounts and many shops have had a solid restock or four since the issues with covid and lack of production for a few months, but I know there are still some shops that do not have any stock for whatever reason, a couple being they didn't order in time to get anything and it already sold out, or they don't have money to get more new product.  Either way, it is usually not a good sign.

US shops seem to be very well stocked again now, but a lot of other countries are still waiting on big drops and are nowhere near back to pre covid stock - Australia has some shops with some wood, but not many of others as an example.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2021, 05:46:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

8.38 may as well be 8.375 or 8.4 for all the difference it is, but some might be wider or not as wide as others, even from the same lot, but there are a few different shapes I have seen and measured, as that is the size I like to skate too.

There are still a lot of shape options even for the same basic dimensions, but some boards are a bit more here and there, depending on what they want to put out, shape wise.

Eg BBS brand boards I have seen have a few options (not just DLX) in that approximate size:

8.38 x 32.2 with 14.38 wb Black Label
8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb DLX
8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb DLX
8.38 x 32 with 14.5 wb Baker
8.38 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb Element
8.38 x 32.12 with 14.5 wb Birdhouse
8.38 x 32.12 with 14.5 wb DGK
8.38 x 31.93 with 14.27 wb Element
8.375 x 32 with 14.5 wb Polar
8.375 x 32 with 14.38 wb Generator wood (local brand)
8.375 x 31.92 with 14.2 wb Primitive

Some of those numbers are a bit funny, but whatever.

My usual DLX actually measures more like almost 8.5 and almost 32.5 long but always with 14.5 wheelbase, which is why I like it so much, but other DLX boards are pretty much the same as a Baker, Birdhouse, Element, DGK, and a couple of others I have here too, even though they often have different measurements listed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
Can anyone comment on Evisen shapes/concaves?

They are DSM made so I guess you can expect a similar shape to the offerings from Dwindle. I've seen some DSM boards with very tapered kicks and mellow concaves which is a nice change up from their usual shapes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

topfrog10

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where are you in the world (or what is your local shop)?

I follow a lot of shop accounts and many shops have had a solid restock or four since the issues with covid and lack of production for a few months, but I know there are still some shops that do not have any stock for whatever reason, a couple being they didn't order in time to get anything and it already sold out, or they don't have money to get more new product.  Either way, it is usually not a good sign.

US shops seem to be very well stocked again now, but a lot of other countries are still waiting on big drops and are nowhere near back to pre covid stock - Australia has some shops with some wood, but not many of others as an example.
I'm Bay Area in the US. I think the issue is probably that none of the brands that I am interested in buying are brands that restocked or dropped new decks recently, but I think the shops are a little lacking around me at least in diversity. Definitely not early COVID levels but lacking nonetheless. Thanks for the insight.

mbam003

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2021, 10:44:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

8.38 may as well be 8.375 or 8.4 for all the difference it is, but some might be wider or not as wide as others, even from the same lot, but there are a few different shapes I have seen and measured, as that is the size I like to skate too.

There are still a lot of shape options even for the same basic dimensions, but some boards are a bit more here and there, depending on what they want to put out, shape wise.

Eg BBS brand boards I have seen have a few options (not just DLX) in that approximate size:

8.38 x 32.2 with 14.38 wb Black Label
8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb DLX
8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb DLX
8.38 x 32 with 14.5 wb Baker
8.38 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb Element
8.38 x 32.12 with 14.5 wb Birdhouse
8.38 x 32.12 with 14.5 wb DGK
8.38 x 31.93 with 14.27 wb Element
8.375 x 32 with 14.5 wb Polar
8.375 x 32 with 14.38 wb Generator wood (local brand)
8.375 x 31.92 with 14.2 wb Primitive

Some of those numbers are a bit funny, but whatever.

My usual DLX actually measures more like almost 8.5 and almost 32.5 long but always with 14.5 wheelbase, which is why I like it so much, but other DLX boards are pretty much the same as a Baker, Birdhouse, Element, DGK, and a couple of others I have here too, even though they often have different measurements listed.

Thanks for the information! I swear I saw that about Polar somewhere, but I guess it was false. Almost started a rumor there. Sorry :)

mbam003

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2021, 10:47:52 PM »
Looks like an 8.38 with a 14.38 WB is a rarity unfortunately. I might have to make do with an 8.25 on 149s.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2021, 10:51:51 PM »
Looks like an 8.38 with a 14.38 WB is a rarity unfortunately.

Real Full SE 8.38x32.18 w 14.38. One in the current drop.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks like an 8.38 with a 14.38 WB is a rarity unfortunately.
[close]

Real Full SE 8.38x32.18 w 14.38. One in the current drop.

I hadn't even thought of all the FULL or Full SE versions, or the Baker B2 or countless others in various shapes, of which there are lots.

I think the Full SE is definitely here to stay as a lot of people like those.

Re the 8.38 size you thought  - That is also not to say there are not other options out there too, or different ones currently on ice, or already in production and yet to be seen.  It could be out there...

What I did in compiling that list is not post some that I felt were shop listings that had incorrect sizes and dimensions, eg one had 8.38 x 31.8 with 13.75 wb which I had not seen anywhere at all and the board was the same as another normal listing.  Also some are listed as almost 33 long or other things, but again I think they were incorrectly listed.

ballintoohard

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2021, 10:54:11 AM »
Looks like an 8.38 with a 14.38 WB is a rarity unfortunately. I might have to make do with an 8.25 on 149s.

My Nick Broserio and Dane Brady 8.38s was 14.375 and I've had 2 Polar 8.5's that were as well.