Author Topic: Our language is not sufficient for Nosegrinds  (Read 3503 times)

exlurker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
Our language is not sufficient for Nosegrinds
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:06:57 AM »
Skate terminology paints itself into weird-ass corners.

For years i've agreed with skate consensus that, with rare exceptions, every frontside "overcrook" is really just a nosegrind. Shane Cross at El Toro, etc.

The reasoning for this is that it's nigh impossible to fs nosegrind a round rail without at least a wee bit of an angle/pinch

But then this post got me thinkin

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLFczhAlpKx/

backside nosegrind, with a toeside pinch. BUT, i think if the board was tweaked over the rail, it'd be an overcrook. Why is backside different than frontside? I don't know. I suspect because it's harder.

BUT would it also be a nosegrind if the pinch was heelside? If the board is diagonal, that's a bs crooked grind, but in the case of a parallel board, i'm not sure there is currently a way to differentiate between which side of the truck is being pinched on a backside nosegrind. Can one do a backside nosegrind pinching on either side of the truck, and it's still the same trick?

On the other hand, pretty much any time someone pinches toe-side on a frontside nosegrind, it's considered a front crook, even if the board is parallel to the rail. I can think of some Ryan Gallant tricks that might qualify.

That makes me start to think that the presence of pinch at all should make it either a crook/overcrook, but then we're back to contradicting the original consensus, which will get lots of people mad

and that doesn't even address crooked grinds by people with tight trucks where no pinch occurs

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Our language is not sufficient for Nosegrinds
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:21:30 AM »
I always welcome this discussion and soon to be argument whenever it comes up and cast my vote in favor or OPís opinion to continue the confusion.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »
I think it's the skater's job to try to center their nosegrinds to be 100% straight on round rails. Naturally, they are never able to achieve their goal, but it is the pursuit that is the true artform.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:40:18 AM by Jerrys Kid »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
Just learn real nosegrinds then you won't have to worry about it.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
I think crooked grinds and overcrooks should meet both criteria (pinch AND board at an angle), but can also only meet the latter and still be a crooked grind. The pinch talk completely ignores tight truck riders where pinch doesn't show as much, as OP stated (even though it's still happening to a degree.

Crooked grinds on ledges and some rails should have nose to ledge contact, nosegrinds should NOT. Nose to round rail contact is kind of a grey area I think.

A nose grind can absolutely be pinched either way (fs/bs) and on either side(toeside/heelside), but is still a nosegrind if the board is parallel to the obstacle. Again... there should be no nose to ledge contact on these.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

bootscootboogy

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
You must go the way of Prince, and start using symbols for nosegrinds instead. Just carry a pen and notepad on you at all times, you could even use the Marc Johnson one that comes with andale bearings, to keep it core. Iím gonna go learn bs overcrook to fs noseblunts while yíall argue about this

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
  • Free Max B
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 11:03:20 AM »
frontside overcrooks will never be a thing. backside they are definitely a thing. thats where it ends for me fellas i dont follow any of this pinch nonsense. this has been well established as op acknowleged but im also down for just keeping the confusion alive.

free max b
FREE MAX B

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 11:45:19 AM »
heel-side lock-in back nosegrind, round rail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zxzBqvdjrg

also, square railóyou can make the conscious effort to go over the rail and lock in with a pinch or lock in nosegrind as you would on a ledge
therefore, overcrooks are a thing
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:52:40 AM by anon »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »
overcrooks are 100% the correct name. or, what, is a salad and a suski just an incorrectly named 5-0s?

i donít think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
Grind in the middle, always. Get to know the groove. Quit pinchin'. Escape crooks.

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 11:55:27 AM »
On a ledge, crook = board at angle, nosegrind = board straight. Ideally, a crook pinches and has nose drag, nosegrinds are flat on the truck and are balanced. A pinch or drag violation is just poor execution, doesn't make it a different trick.

We shouldn't name tricks based on which side of the truck you pinch on thats just getting silly. You gonna have heel side 5050s vs cross lock 5050s be two different tricks? I do sw fs 5050s on rails like a sw front feeble (poor technique I know) thats still a 5050.

To be precise, crook nosegrind and overcrook can all exist on rails, frontside and backside, depending on what angle the board is sitting relative to the rail.

Though colloquially speaking I think its fine for the most part to simplify things by calling what is technically fs overcrook a nosegrind because thats just what ends up happening 99% of the time people try nosegrinds on rails.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
I think it's the skater's job to try to center their nosegrinds to be 100% straight on round rails. Naturally, they are never able to achieve their goal, but it is the pursuit that is the true artform.
art

cookiecuttersuburb

• Rep: -17
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »
Grind in the middle, always. Get to know the groove. Quit pinchin'. Escape crooks.

Best comment Iíve seen on here in a minute

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »

Tune in and drop out maaaaaaaaan

michael scarn

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »
Didn't Shane o neill do a perfectly straight one on a round rail like a long time ago. Not trying to find the clip

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 05:02:23 PM »
This thread is making my brain hurt but I kinda like it. I also canít do nose grinds in any variation to save my life.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 05:05:55 PM »
"The system...is not DESIGNED for us"

call of duty soldier

• Rep: -4
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »
I call them fs nosegrinds (even tho i do them more 'overcrook') and everyone that I know who is good at the trick also calls them fs nosegrinds. The only time it's acceptable to say overcrook is for backside overcrooks down rails, but even then i still say backside nosegrind.

Here is one of the few examples of a rare balanced fs nosegrind (that isn't pinched) on a round rail, done by C-Rob from that podcast at 19 seconds in at 0:19 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=19&v=CjrwJlP7Ruo&feature=youtu.be

Joe Davola

• Rep: 59
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ojVdKbq1o#

1:21

I donít know where this falls in the discussion, but this is always the first trick I think of when I hear backside nosegrind.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »
i thought this thread was going to be about fakie ollie to switch krooks
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 06:25:26 PM »

Holy shit, lol.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 06:36:01 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ojVdKbq1o#

1:21

I donít know where this falls in the discussion, but this is always the first trick I think of when I hear backside nosegrind.

This was filmed at a terrible angle, but in the first clip you can see he tweaked it into an overcrook.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2162
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 07:12:18 PM »
Dumbest argument ever.

If this is a nosegrind:

Then this also must be a nosegrind:

Neither are nosegrinds.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 07:42:59 PM »
Dumbest argument ever.

If this is a nosegrind:

Neither are nosegrinds.

i donít think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 08:32:00 PM »

👑👑👑

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
The real answer to this question is that skate terminology has always been incredibly inconsistent but that is just how we are.  For a comparison, what about a FS indy - woah, no no no, that isn't okay.   These inconsistencies in nomenclature are natural for our screwy sub-culture.

Another argument, why is there a name for a Suski grind but not a FS version of that trick?  In my opinion, it is because Suski is more challenging than a BS 5-0, whereas a crooked FS-50 is just easier and lazier.  And in my experience, the same is true of nosegrinds.  Overcrooking a FS nosegrind doesn't feel different to me that a straight nosegrind, but BS overcrook feels way different.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 10:35:15 PM »
I reckon itís like saying switch nollie itís redundant and sorta like a claim for extra technicality but back overs is legit, so legit that there is no frontside variant itís just the vibe of it man itís Mabo, itís justice, itís law

I donít know what the fuck Tom Knox just did but looks like a real good way to break your left wrist
listen to cosmic psychos

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 01:04:22 AM »
Dumbest argument ever.

If this is a nosegrind:

Neither are nosegrinds.

Do not try and pinch the nosegrind. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no nosegrind. Then you will see it is not the nosegrind that pinches, it is only yourself.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:27:07 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 01:24:49 AM »
Yeah but fuck, just on some hypothetical type shit, your boys got the gun to your head and you gotta do one of these straight up

This is why back overs is infinitely superior
listen to cosmic psychos