Author Topic: Gear that doesn't exist but should  (Read 7601 times)

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Gear that doesn't exist but should
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »
1) A squaresicle. No, not a barnyard or twin but something shaped that is a little more blunt with a taper at both ends like a square 'egg' board but not extreme like they do the late 90s/last of the shaped boards noses...The doomsayers shovel nose with a more squared of tail (a more rounded version of their double shovel).

This is super close if it were just a but more rounded in the tail

2) A Gonz 'sweatpants' shaped deck that is slimmer, more full in the nose and more 'current day' functional, like a mild-shaped version of it.

Have you seen Maite's shaped deck from Uma? I just picked one up because I'm always on the lookout for a shape similar to what you are describing...

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

rosemaryBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »
Fuck Axion reboot, we deserve a full on Ipath reboot.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
Not “gear” really but if there was a database that primarily logged dimensions of boards, measurements/ of trucks, and let you plug in a wheel size you could quantify what certain WBs, kicks and truck heights do to ollies, manuals etc and put some numbers to your preferences. Could log board shape, truck geometry too maybe.

Not trying to turn skating into baseball, just thought it would be a useful tool to find Goldilocks setups and help decide what new ones to try

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
Expand Quote
1) A squaresicle. No, not a barnyard or twin but something shaped that is a little more blunt with a taper at both ends like a square 'egg' board but not extreme like they do the late 90s/last of the shaped boards noses...The doomsayers shovel nose with a more squared of tail (a more rounded version of their double shovel).

2) A Gonz 'sweatpants' shaped deck that is slimmer, more full in the nose and more 'current day' functional, like a mild-shaped version of it.
[close]

Have you seen Maite's shaped deck from Uma? I just picked one up because I'm always on the lookout for a shape similar to what you are describing...

I saw that one, nose isn't what I am after (so many of the decks here have GREAT tails but blow their noses.

Another Uma that's close...way too tapered for what I want.

Lot's of streetplant coming up:

I've never seen a top shot of this board, but my guess is it's damn close:

EDIT: found a top shot...yup, this would be what I'm after. A nice 8.375x31.75 with a 14.18" WB would be so sick.

Streeplant always comes so close to the 'gonz sweatpants' deck I wish someone would make...it's a 90s shape but with fuller nose:

Would be perfect it if wasn't so 'extreme' with it's proportions, take these next two shapes and hybridize them with popsicles but still retain a 'slight' 90s shape..:

I own this one, it's ok, nose is too short and too tapered but it's so close.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:19:15 PM by Xen »

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I saw that one, nose isn't what I am after (so many of the decks here have GREAT tails but blow their noses.

EDIT: found a top shot...yup, this would be what I'm after. A nice 8.375x31.75 with a 14.18" WB would be so sick.

Streeplant always comes so close to the 'gonz sweatpants' deck I wish someone would make...it's a 90s shape but with fuller nose:

Would be perfect it if wasn't so 'extreme' with it's proportions, take these next two shapes and hybridize them with popsicles but still retain a 'slight' 90s shape..:

"Blow their noses", love that!

Yeah the nose is the only thing not 100% for me on this Maite. I might sand it down a little since it's close, and when I do that I usually seal the fresh edge with really thin superglue... which is a win win because the superglue penetrates deeper than clearcoat and is strong, so it helps prevent wear and tear a bit.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2021, 11:41:24 PM »
Pants that are baggy in the thighs and seat but taper a lot towards the lower leg with a smaller leg opening. Preferably denim or at least have back pockets that are on the outside of the pants not the inside like on most chinos

You want the Magenta OG denim

IpathCats

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2021, 07:31:04 AM »

Real recognize real

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »
Spitfire lock ins with the graphic printed on the other side, so when you ride them coolguy, (print side in)the shape functions as intended. Call them “Lock Outs”.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

"Blow their noses", love that!

Yeah the nose is the only thing not 100% for me on this Maite. I might sand it down a little since it's close, and when I do that I usually seal the fresh edge with really thin superglue... which is a win win because the superglue penetrates deeper than clearcoat and is strong, so it helps prevent wear and tear a bit.

http://www.opensourceboards.com/
Not sure if this site has been brought up in any threads, but, have at it! You can make pretty much whatever shapes you want.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2021, 09:08:25 PM »
Grip tape with a small part where you can strike a match

nothing's been the since same

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2022, 04:08:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Nike Sb reissues of some of their weirder classics like the E-cue and the Url, hell maybe even a revamped Savier model (one of the more "tasteful" Saviers of course) and a TRUE reissue of the old Sb FC - I had a pair of the FCs when I was a kid when they first started making them and I'll never forget how much better they felt compared to everything else I skated when I was 15/16. They felt slim in a nice way, still had padding, and this is kind of stupid but I loved the way the old soles looked.
[close]

The Tim o'connor savier was really clean looking.

These were the first shoes I skated in. Nike crosstrainers. It's what he based his shoe off of.

My contribution. I want a flatter countersink bit like this that is the angle of hardware so you can screw from the top without grip bunching up.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2022, 06:31:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike Sb reissues of some of their weirder classics like the E-cue and the Url, hell maybe even a revamped Savier model (one of the more "tasteful" Saviers of course) and a TRUE reissue of the old Sb FC - I had a pair of the FCs when I was a kid when they first started making them and I'll never forget how much better they felt compared to everything else I skated when I was 15/16. They felt slim in a nice way, still had padding, and this is kind of stupid but I loved the way the old soles looked.
[close]

The Tim o'connor savier was really clean looking.
[close]

These were the first shoes I skated in. Nike crosstrainers. It's what he based his shoe off of.
[/img]

The Tim O'Connor Saviers were great. And they were on sale everywhere at the time.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
Pants that are baggy in the thighs and seat but taper a lot towards the lower leg with a smaller leg opening. Preferably denim or at least have back pockets that are on the outside of the pants not the inside like on most chinos

I have 2 pairs of these currently. 100% cotton denim jeans. My true size fit is exactly what you described you want in your post. I know the price looks sus, but they are pretty decent pairs of jeans all around for under $25 bucks.

https://shakawear.com/products/raw-denim?variant=33245581180991

Edit- Big Z has them buy one get one 50% off. I'm tempted to buy myself another 2 pairs just for the hell of it.

https://www.zumiez.com/shaka-wear-light-blue-stone-wash-denim-jeans.html

https://www.zumiez.com/shaka-wear-dark-blue-stone-denim-jeans.html
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2022, 08:51:58 PM »

My contribution. I want a flatter countersink bit like this that is the angle of hardware so you can screw from the top without grip bunching up.

i been giving this fat phillips driver i've a few spins after gripping and it helps with the bunching. even though i only spin the nuts, i still get some bunching sometimes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2022, 01:57:07 AM »
Boards that are symmetrical in size and concave etc but one kick cut sorta pointy and the other kinda square-ish.

Taper the top of the kingpin so the nut is the same size as an axle nut. Won't catch on Smith's as much. Only need one tool.

Titanium baseplates. Can hollow it out to make it lighter. Maybe built in kingpins. The mounting holes won't get warped out. Pivot cup will be stronger than the pivot of the hanger so won't get blown out.
All cotton (or something natural) loose fitting/oversize long sleeve shirts for when it's really hot.

Gear that exists but should be used more: elastic belts like baseball players have. Those thin kneepads some basketball players wear.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2022, 02:16:56 AM »
Wool gloves with a suede patch over the area that gets shredded by griptape.

Semi-insulated cupsoles (a 440 high, preferably)
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2022, 02:25:46 AM »
Transparent silicone hand palm protectors.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2022, 04:42:05 AM »

What you are looking for is a 90° countersink, which is a fairly common one. That's the angle of the bolts.
Or you take a"normal" metaldrill (118°), what I prefer.

What I do is (when I have the time and want a good outcome):
Put the trucks on before gripping, pull tight, take off, grip, pin the holes with a nail, give the drill a spin by hand to just remove the grip over the imprint of the hardware, set up.

As this has already gotten technical:
I wish there would be a tool to rethread truckbolts from the in to the outside.
Ugh, how can I describe it ?
Like a split threader you can put on the "healthy" part, instead of the normal ones, where you most likely fuck up the angle and/or make a second thread accidentally. Because naturally it doesn't work to repair the end when you need that end to set up the tool. If this makes any sense. 

edited 'cause of bad quoting
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:49:26 AM by Jowiththeflow »

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2022, 05:31:54 AM »
Regular and consistent production line of chukka boots commensurate with eras/authentics. Either the 90’s are back or they aren’t.

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
The Deathwish Foy85 shape that he used to skate being available all of the time would be my dream.
8.5x31.75 with a 14.25wb . Nice round nose and tail, not a twin tail. It’s the best feeling board I’ve ever skated. I’m sitting on a pile of them right now, but one of these days I’m going to be out. Thinking about dm’ing The Boss like a man and groveling like a child to try to make it a reality. I’d buy them by the dozen.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2022, 04:20:41 PM »
Venture 5.6 lo.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2022, 04:54:12 PM »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2022, 05:42:49 PM »
The Deathwish Foy85 shape that he used to skate being available all of the time would be my dream.
8.5x31.75 with a 14.25wb . Nice round nose and tail, not a twin tail. It’s the best feeling board I’ve ever skated. I’m sitting on a pile of them right now, but one of these days I’m going to be out. Thinking about dm’ing The Boss like a man and groveling like a child to try to make it a reality. I’d buy them by the dozen.

How does that one compare to the usual 8.475 x 31.875 shape?

Common on Baker and Deathwish:

8.475" x 31.875"
14.25" Wheelbase

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What you are looking for is a 90° countersink, which is a fairly common one. That's the angle of the bolts.
Or you take a"normal" metaldrill (118°), what I prefer.

What I do is (when I have the time and want a good outcome):
Put the trucks on before gripping, pull tight, take off, grip, pin the holes with a nail, give the drill a spin by hand to just remove the grip over the imprint of the hardware, set up.

As this has already gotten technical:
I wish there would be a tool to rethread truckbolts from the in to the outside.
Ugh, how can I describe it ?
Like a split threader you can put on the "healthy" part, instead of the normal ones, where you most likely fuck up the angle and/or make a second thread accidentally. Because naturally it doesn't work to repair the end when you need that end to set up the tool. If this makes any sense. 

edited 'cause of bad quoting

This is the sort of thing that makes me smile.

I knew someone that would use a normal screw and power drill to screw through every bolt hole into a scrap piece of wood to get the simple imprinted head without cutting into the wood at all, then the deck bolts would fit in way more smoothly every time.

When setting up new boards, I usually just use a hand phillips screw driver on the deck bolt holes to get rid of excess grip and the Shortys bolts (smaller heads) never really have any issues going into the board, but if you are using larger head deck bolts, having the grip as well as the holes routed does help.

Been thinking about doing a "How to..." on this, so maybe this is the inspiration to get one done.

Good read!

Edit:  As for the second part, re Ace nuts that are reathreaders, so when the nut has been on and the end of the axle is messed up, by undoing the nut will actually (in theory cause I haven't seen it work) re thread the axle thread as you take it off.

Might be worth looking into.

I always use more washers on the axles so the nuts sit flush, so there are no axle end issues, but some others I skate with have also had so many issues as they don't like washers that they grind off the excess axle end to the correct length for one washer on the inside and just the nut on the outside.  It is pretty extreme, but they say it works.

Keeping a few sets of spare nuts is often handy too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2022, 12:36:02 AM »

i want some Kastel

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2022, 01:24:30 AM »
Spitfire lock ins with the graphic printed on the other side, so when you ride them coolguy, (print side in)the shape functions as intended. Call them “Lock Outs”.

This. And they should have the Radial shape on the inside, imo. Kinda like the Oj combos with F4 urethane.

slothrop

• Rep: 13
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2022, 01:49:40 AM »

I HAVE THE ANSWER.

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2022, 04:36:08 AM »
Dunks you can actually just buy.

Started buying reps because I was so tired of this. Just gonna get skated and shredded anyway and I never miss a release I want

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2022, 05:17:25 AM »

Like this:  Daewon Fury wheels

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/spitfire-daewon-fury-formula-four-lock-ins-99d-skateboard-wheel-52mm

This. And they should have the Radial shape on the inside, imo. Kinda like the Oj combos with F4 urethane.

I made my own...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CML_20UlEVe/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2022, 05:41:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How about they have no shitty wheel graphics at all