Author Topic: Can't Get You Out of My Head - New Adam Curtis Miniseries  (Read 657 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Can't Get You Out of My Head - New Adam Curtis Miniseries
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
"Can’t Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional History of the Modern World is a six-part series that explores how modern society has arrived to the strange place it is today. The series traverses themes of love, power, money, the ghosts of empire, the history of China, opium and opioids, the strange roots of modern conspiracy theories, and the history of Artificial Intelligence. Inspired by the 2016 apex of populism—the political ideology which presents The People as morally good, and The Elite as morally bad—the underlying aim of the series is to show why the critics of Donald Trump and Brexit were unable to offer an alternative vision for the future."

https://thoughtmaybe.com/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head/

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Can't Get You Out of My Head - New Adam Curtis Miniseries
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I'm hyped to watch this tonight. I love nearly everything Adam Curtis has done (the only thing I didn't like was Hyper-Normalization... it felt rushed).

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 05:36:25 AM »
i don’t think i’m mentally prepared for this but i’m excited nonetheless

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 07:43:20 AM »
Somebody put it on youtube too, the link I posted yesterday was playing kinda choppy for me

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCk1V6Ts3Vgdou_OObRAEw/videos

stratosphere

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
Thank you for posting this! Adam is wonderful.
I re-watched Power of Nightmares last year, and about halfway through my girl starts watching with me. Within 15 minutes she has a minor panic attack and had to walk away. She was okay, but that's powerful.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »
I feel like parts 1 and 2 could probably be skipped over and the doc could start at part 3.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 04:20:56 PM »
I feel like parts 1 and 2 could probably be skipped over and the doc could start at part 3.

Setting aside that there would be no context without episodes one and two, I very much enjoyed them. I had no idea about the relation between George Boole and Ethel Voynich, for example. I work in AI, and that alone was worth the two-plus hours
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Grind King Rims

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:44:42 AM »
I've started watching this.
I really like the style, the audio/visual collage. It's a bit like a BBC documentary stylized as an Alien Workshop video, haha.
Sometimes I find it hard to really connect the different anecdotes to establish what point Curtis is trying to make.
It's interesting.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »
adam curtis is always good but this series is excellent

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 01:52:48 PM »
Bitter Lake is probably my favorite of his work that I've seen

And yeah, he definitely doesn't always make the parallels between everything he discusses in the new series explicitly clear.
It's part of what makes it intriguing, but can feel frustrating at times.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »

And yeah, he definitely doesn't always make the parallels between everything he discusses in the new series explicitly clear.

What a heavy film. A really incredible piece of work all around, but by the end of it I just felt...heavy. War, colonization and capitalism is just hell. That said, I really appreciate how extensive Adam Curtis connected the dots on this topic.

It was also pretty astonishing to me that, as he got into the history of the 1980s heading into the 2000s, the same mistakes perpetuated by outside influences(Americans, British, etc.) were being repeated at a more and more rapid rate.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 02:35:08 PM »

I'm curious where you found parallels lacking? I found it all to be fairly synched up on the Macro level despite refraining from the use of spoken, first-then causality.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 03:34:57 PM »
I liked it too. I didn‘t know anything about about Chinese history. I found that part fascinating. Some parts of the history of the black Panthers I was not familiar with either.

His point about paranoia and fear keeping people from any meaningful action was very well made!

Finally he affirms the belief in reason as the only way out. Even though I mostly agree, it felt a bit disappointing and uninspired  as an ending. I mean Jeez, The enlightenment happened in continental philosophy centuries ago, but that did not really prevent any of those atrocities he himself described in the series. Imperialism was in part justified by the philosophies of reason.
I also felt it was a bit too much about ideas and not enough about the material relations that produced them.

I don‘t want to be too critical. It was very thought provoking and well done!