Author Topic: 360 pop shove its  (Read 1264 times)

baaaaaaguette

360 pop shove its
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:28:49 PM »
Im slowly starting to warm up to the 360 pop shove it. i can reliably pop the regular ones, both back and front, over obstacles and gaps, so im looking to upgrade. Due to covid and unexpected snowfall, I havent been able to sollicit advice from my locals, so im resorting to the forum in my time of great need.

I had a quick session today and only tried a few half heartedly. I tried to scoop my regular pop shove to acheive that 360 and quickly realised that aint gonna do it. Thing is most tutorials i found on youtube seem to say the same thing: just pop and scoop harder.

So what are your wise words for this one homies?

CorneliusCardew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: 360 pop shove its
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »
If you can do impossibles just start messing with your technique to neutralize the wrap

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
Move your front foot more towards the middle of the board, and when you scoop (which kind of is what those tutorials said, same as a pop shove but harder), concentrate on keeping your front foot in place and imagine the board spinning around your front foot on its axis. That's how they work for me, the board doesn't really leave my front foot
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 01:44:49 PM »
Also the scoop has less to do with more amplitude than it has to do with getting just the right precise rebound of the tail when you pop. In those regards it's rather similar to doing high pop shove-its where you limit movement to a minimum and focus on the explosivity of your verticality, but it's not brute force like 360 flips can be where some people have to kind of swing their back leg in order to get the full spin. It's a downward pop with the right foot positioning (that feels a bit similar to the one for high pop shoves, just adjusted), usually with the toes in the center of the tail; and then since you keep the board flat with the toes of your front foot as it spins, you could kind of say that trick is all in the toes. Just make sure the front foot only hovers over there just in case, and doesn't actually interfere with the rotation. Frontside works the same except I feel like it doesn't help to even use your front foot as a guide on those. Then frontside big spin pop is the same except you turn your shoulders so maybe you can work on those too.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 02:55:41 AM »
thanks for the advice homies i'll be sure to use it today

Shalom

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 09:49:50 PM »
They clicked for me once I put my back foot in the middle of the tail, just like an ollie or whatever. I pop pretty much straight up, just like a high pop shove-it, but with more emphasis on the scoop right after the pop. It seems to work best when I can feel the tail scrape a little against the ground, just like bigspins.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 05:13:10 AM »
this is one of my most consistent flatground tricks. i think the key is to be kinda good at 360 flips, because the 360 shove is much closer to that than the pop shuvit. i basically do a 360 flip without getting my front foot out of the way, keeping it over the board the whole time so it doesn't flip. there's that gino 360 shuv over the grate at flushing meadows in yeah right and it's basically the same technique, just watch it in slow motion a few times and you'll know what i'm talking about.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 07:03:43 AM »
this is one of my most consistent flatground tricks. i think the key is to be kinda good at 360 flips, because the 360 shove is much closer to that than the pop shuvit. i basically do a 360 flip without getting my front foot out of the way, keeping it over the board the whole time so it doesn't flip. there's that gino 360 shuv over the grate at flushing meadows in yeah right and it's basically the same technique, just watch it in slow motion a few times and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Will do for sure, unfortunately my tail is a bit fucked atm so getting the proper footing is tricky

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
If you're like me you'll just try to learn impossibles but end up doing the worst looking 3 shuvs of all time

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 11:05:49 PM »
Shane O'Neil does good 3 shuvs....and shit 3 shuvs aka his impossible....

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 05:21:07 AM »
Shane O'Neil does good 3 shuvs....and shit 3 shuvs aka his impossible....

Shane O'Neil is who he is lol. Im a shitty flat ground skater the most i can do is a low, bouncing off the ground, safety hands 360 haha

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 05:31:08 AM »
bumping this because 360 shoves have been ruining my life for a good year now. much like the guy who posted earlier i kinda got them down by trying impossibles in games of skate, but now my technique for it is some super jacked scoop pop maneuver which works but it's definitely 1/10 actually landed, and the more i try them the more i start fucking around with my positioning and it gets exponentially worse. most of the advice i see is in the middle of the tail on the tip, pop straight down but that shit never seems to work for me, occasionally itll pop the full 360 but its overexaggerated and theres no chance ill land on it, or it'll just flip out.

where am i going wrong here? do i need to just go back to basics and figure them out properly or what?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 05:59:27 AM »
For the last technique you're describing, it works by using the rebound of the very center of the tail from the downwards pop to send the board around (perhaps aided by one subtle swipe of the leg), hence the importance of the big toe placement thing, so basically if you just find that sweet spot then pop the tail the right way you should be able to form the trick with minimum effort, and just sit over the trick picturing your front foot as the center of a compass (for some reason that mental image really helps on that trick in particular). But since that's supposed to be the minimalist/lazy version of the trick (personally I don't like it, I much prefer the feeling of even the non-popped ones), for it to work you need to approach it as such which means the more you'll be using brute force for the 360 or swinging your legs by popping hard, the more you effort you will actually waste on not getting any closer. What you want is precision on the pop for optimal form and then control while over the board at all times, including of your upper body which really shouldn't be doing jack shit but remaining centered, any unnecessary movement there or even of the front leg would be parasitic. And if that technique really doesn't work for you (it's not for everyone), then just fuck it and keep doing them your way until they click, which I'm sure would look more interesting anyway. But in general I'd say try to think about the exact ways your experimentations with foot positioning and ways to pop respectively affect the response of your board, and really think about the effect on the rebound of the tail as this or that region of it first smacks the ground from this or that one. Indirectly, you'll probably unlock your grasp for the physics behind some other tricks before you know it, too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:07:24 AM by silhouette »