Author Topic: Why don't more of y'all USPS Flat Rate Priority Boxes/Envelopes?  (Read 606 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Why don't more of y'all USPS Flat Rate Priority Boxes/Envelopes?
« on: February 08, 2021, 02:49:46 PM »
Yo homies, I've been buying/selling/trading a bit of stuff here the past few months, shoes, trucks, wheels, etc and I'm seeing that y'all are paying a premium on shipping. I'm all about giving the USPS as much $$ as possible, but I almost always use priority flat rate packaging when possible. For instance, a set of trucks, stickers and then some will fit in a flat rate padded envelope- $8.40 shipped, tracked, and insured for $50 in a general 3 day delivery period. They've got free shoe box size boxes that will cost under $20 to ship, probably closer to $15 in my experience. A medium flat rate ships for $15.50 and you can fit numerous clothing articles, unwrapped sets of wheels, trucks, etc all in one box. Pretty sure the only thing USPS doesn't have a free box for would be decks.

It's no joke when they say "if it fits, it ships." Anything under 70lb will ship in the USA and territories for the listed price if you can fit it in a flat rate box. If you can't order free boxes to your crib, the people at the post office are usually super cool and will hook you up with whatever you ask for if you're cool to them. You can even print flat rate labels from home...

do whatever works, just trying to save y'all a few bucks here and there. peace

flat rate priority pricing near bottom of page
https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm

FREE flat rate priority boxes/supplies
https://store.usps.com/store/results/flat-rate/shipping-supplies/_/N-1xg11gfZ7d0v8v?_requestid=13471

FREE non flat rate priority boxes
https://store.usps.com/store/results/shipping-supplies/_/N-7d0v8v?_requestid=13471

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Why don't more of y'all USPS Flat Rate Priority Boxes/Envelopes?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 03:32:20 PM »
I have been using shipping labels through PayPal and it has worked well. Measure the box and weigh.

Even shipped a deck that way only a few states away but was like $8.77 or something, albeit only a few states away

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
I have been using shipping labels through PayPal and it has worked well. Measure the box and weigh.

Even shipped a deck that way only a few states away but was like $8.77 or something, albeit only a few states away

hell ya, that's a good price. I don't print labels, but I know Flat rate labels can be printed as well. bud damn, that's a legit price for shipping a deck.

I'm just throwing it out there after receiving sets of trucks from the east coast. one cost $20 to ship and the other $15 and change, when I was able to send a set coast to coast for under $9. $10 bucks in my pocket is 10 bucks in my pocket for a burrito or some coffee.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 07:04:17 PM »
I use pirateship.com. Saves money even on flat rate.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
I use pirateship.com. Saves money even on flat rate.

those are nice prices, for sure.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
Ok, ok, fine I’ll use them.  Now get off my back about it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:50:23 PM »
Ok, ok, fine I’ll use them.  Now get off my back about it.

aw shucks, buddy, just tryna save ya a couple bucks. want me to scratch your back?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
good thread .. love shipping hacks .. had a real good system with depop til they caught on . was shipping heavy deck packages across the country for 4.50 for about a year
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 03:55:28 AM »
good thread .. love shipping hacks .. had a real good system with depop til they caught on . was shipping heavy deck packages across the country for 4.50 for about a year
oh wow. I kind of hate depop shipping. They just raised the rates too. And the fees are high. But I always get notified about the weight being over the allowed limit even though I’m following their recommended item range

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 04:07:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
oh wow. I kind of hate depop shipping. They just raised the rates too. And the fees are high. But I always get notified about the weight being over the allowed limit even though I’m following their recommended item range

I changed my depop listing over to self ship. They kept yelling at me for my packages being over weight when I chose the shoe options for shipping rates and was shipping shoes. Who sets shoe weight at 2lbs?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fhk

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »
I sent a set of trucks to a pal today, and the beyoootch at the PO told me I couldn't use the flat rate box. I mentioned that the trucks weighed slightly under 70 lbs. She ended up charging me $10.10 instead of the normal $8.70. I wish I enjoyed arguing sometimes..but I don't.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »
I sent a set of trucks to a pal today, and the beyoootch at the PO told me I couldn't use the flat rate box. I mentioned that the trucks weighed slightly under 70 lbs. She ended up charging me $10.10 instead of the normal $8.70. I wish I enjoyed arguing sometimes..but I don't.

70 pounds of Ace55s? I must be getting a BIG box. Thx.

Fhk

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 02:30:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

70 pounds of Ace55s? I must be getting a BIG box. Thx.
Haha it weighed under their 70 lb. So unfortunately your shipment will only be for 2 trucks this time.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »
Good thread! I tend to not venture out into the Post office (covid) and ship from home using printed labels and priority (my choice of box and use amazon boxes; since it's usually trucks, that's about $9/10 @arrbee that's what I used for you; wish you told be about prirateship then, it might have helped :P I'm getting ready to sell off some trucks, this will be handy.

That $8.x for deck shipping is on point tho. You can get away with just folded boxes provided the deck is to skate and not a wall hanger.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:08:19 AM by Xen »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 04:28:03 PM »
Trucks go into Priority Mail bubble mailers, always. $9 will take them anywhere in the continental US in 3 days. Pretty good deal, IMO, and the protection provided is more than enough (feel free to double up the packaging inside, since you're not paying by weight)

Seconding using PayPal shipping. I use it because I don't want to have *another* account somewhere, with another password that'll get hacked or worse. I haven't been into a post office to ship a package in probably a decade. I cannot imagine waiting in line and dealing with some surly clerk in order to make $25 selling some used trucks

Whatever you do, don't fuck with stamps.com. It doesn't offer anything that the Post Office's website or PayPal doesn't offer you for free. Just a reoccurring charge in order for you to pay to ship things at the same rate you'll pay elsewhere
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Diocletian

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 06:10:59 PM »
My shipping process goes like this: grab the box I saved from when I ordered those trucks/wheels/shoes and put it back in and tape it up and bring it to the post office where they scale it and choose the cheapest shipping method possible, unless priority 2-day isn't that much more, I'll go with that so the PAL gets it a lil quicker. Sometimes I've shipped in a bubble mailer only because I forgot to save the original packaging.