Author Topic: where do you go to find new music?  (Read 409 times)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
where do you go to find new music?
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:41:42 PM »
i'm in dire need. the stream's been drying up, but i feel like there's a deeper level of music i've yet to crack. do i just need to get really deep into rateyourmusic? is finding new music a mindset in which i have to be more accepting? is this why people start listening to some really weird projects? any advice or suggestions are appreciated

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
Re: where do you go to find new music?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:56:45 PM »
Bandcamp. Soundcloud. Discogs. Radio mixes. Clicking through releases on different distros.

Find some music you like, and search for other artists on that label.

What are you into?

6000 sux

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
discogs
look up labels that put out music you like, find other releases from them you haven’t heard
find producers that worked on music you like, find other stuff they worked on
look at lists from users that have albums you like on them
etc

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 01:47:51 AM »
Contribute to the rate the song above you thread. Helps finding new music sometimes and also lets you share your tastes with others.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Grind King Rims

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:01:32 AM »
discogs
look up labels that put out music you like, find other releases from them you haven’t heard
find producers that worked on music you like, find other stuff they worked on
look at lists from users that have albums you like on them
etc

This is huge

Also, I love NTS, I find a lot of cool stuff there.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=11026.msg3500495;topicseen#new

This thread has a lot of good stuff.

There's a whole board dedicated to Music on SLAP, hahaha.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 02:24:59 AM »
i'm in dire need. the stream's been drying up, but i feel like there's a deeper level of music i've yet to crack. do i just need to get really deep into rateyourmusic? is finding new music a mindset in which i have to be more accepting? is this why people start listening to some really weird projects? any advice or suggestions are appreciated

This touches on the idea of how people tend to digest music, which is huge and very interesting to me.

I think most people, myself included, are now used to the feeling that there is a vast, never-ending ocean of quality music in the world, and with tools like YouTube and Spotify, you're always just a click away from something that blows your mind. As a result, we tend not to give as much time to anything that isn't immediately satisfying. That's not necessarily a bad thing! But it does mean that as a result people are probably lending less attention to music. Compare that to when you would buy an album, not really like it, but it's now part of your collection and you'll probably end up listening to it a couple more times. You might end up enjoying it after repeat listens, or you might figure out why it is that you really don't like it. Either way, you'd come out with a more refined taste.

I have a couple of friends who say that they never listen to music when they're walking around or getting the bus or anything like that. Some of them don't even own headphones. If they come across an album they want to listen to, they'll put time aside, put their phone away and only listen to the album from start to finish. It might sound pretentious, but if you did the same thing with a movie, it wouldn't be. These friends are the ones that are very critical of smaller aspects of music, but are also the most excited when they find something that really resonates with them.

All of this is to say that most people treat music as very disposable these days. If you're keen to listen to something out of the ordinary then I think that's great, but that doesn't mean that you have to enjoy it to come away with something.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 07:04:31 AM »
I like to find artists that are affiliated or influencers to bands I already like. It's especially helpful when an artist isn't afraid to shout out music that means a lot to them. If you really like them and it means something to their music, odds are you'll find something that resonates with you too.

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 11:33:23 AM »
I like to find artists that are affiliated or influencers to bands I already like. It's especially helpful when an artist isn't afraid to shout out music that means a lot to them. If you really like them and it means something to their music, odds are you'll find something that resonates with you too.
Yeah those Omeba records YouTube “what’s in my bag” vids can be good source also.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

biggerdave

• Rep: -23
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
NTS hands down is amazing for new music.
#freedrewSTEADMAN

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »
I check the boomkat new releases a few times a week.

New downloads are almost always on Spotify, the vinyl only stuff can generally be tracked down elsewhere.

Really good for electronic/modern composer stuff.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 04:02:46 PM »
I've been listening to mixcloud a lot at work, DJ's and musicians that I've only found recently or are known for playing new and varied stuff, and then Shazam anything that really grabs me. If the Shazam says it's someone i haven't heard before, look for mixes by them and repeat the cycle.
If they have a guest mix on someone's regular show, check other episodes of the show, repeat cycle. If they have music on Bandcamp on labels i haven't heard of, check out the other releases on that label, other artists they're collaborating with and repeat the above cycles etc

Grind King Rims

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 03:56:52 AM »
@TracersOnlyfans have you been listening to mixcloud a lot at work by any chance?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 01:08:21 AM »
@TracersOnlyfans have you been listening to mixcloud a lot at work by any chance?
Hahaha omg

I was getting a bad gateway error and reloaded a few times. Deleting now

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »
album of the year. It's a music rating website. It has filters for every genre and you can find new albums and highest rated albums. If you are gonna sort make sure you use user score.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/