Author Topic: What Subculture do you like besides skateboarding?  (Read 3237 times)

lazer69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -95
Re: What Subculture do you like besides skateboarding?
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2021, 12:23:52 AM »
I used to be in car subculture. Modified vw's, But im into others as well. Into motorcycles. Dont have one anymore, but I watch motogp.

Music - pop punk and emo.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:09 AM »
Backpack rap/late 80's to early 2000's hip hop- I've always been a big hip hop fan, part of what I grew up on. Don't pay attention outside some smaller acts these days when it comes to new releases. I'm also in on collecting vinyl for this era of rap. Love the mainstream mid-90's stuff, but am also a sucker for Cyne, Nujabes, Little Brother, 9th Wonder, Slum Village, etc.

BBQing- Smoking food. Passion I've developed over the past 10 years. Big into slowcooking Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, etc. Love to experiment with different regional styles from the states. Also a huge fan of finding cheaper lower key restaurants such as BBQ joints (but not exclusively) when I visit cities. Try to avoid chains as much as possible. I want to know where the best local burger joint, best ribs, best pizza or whatever your city claims they are great at (Nashville Hot Chicken, Chicago Italian Beef, Buffalo Wings, Montreal Smoked meat etc).

Love beer- Def not a beer expert or would claim to be one. Of the known ones I love Pilsner Urquell or Stiegl of more established brands. When in the states I try to get Sierra Nevada or Yuengling  since they aren't sold here. Recently since the pandemic and all bars are closed (and the local government owned stores are a bit of a zoo), I found local craft breweries are offering local delivery for free. The product is a bit of a premium at a per can cost, but I like to support local businesses in a time like this, so I've pretty much ordered from different local craft brewers the past 8 months trying different ones fairly often and repeating the ones I like.

Big sports fan. Cheer for my locals (Leafs, Raps and Blue Jays), plus cheer for the Browns in football (my dads team growing up and I inherited them at a terrible time but they seem to be turning around), and Manchester United (I know frontrunning, but easy team to watch in North America in the late 90's to mid-2000's before anything could be streamed).

Video games- pandemic got me back into them after not playing as much over recent years. Enjoy the games, do hate the fanboy culture and toxic culture surrounding it.

Film- Love exploring iconic directors such as Leone, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Billy Wilder, Coppola etc. But, I'm also a sucker for 80's and 90's classics and iconic franchises like James Bond, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, etc.

Shit, I'm not even sure if I like skateboarding.

I'm not sure it is a subculture as it isn't really against the dominant culture, but there I would like to live my life in a cafe in europe debating politics. I got to do this briefly in Greece for a month and it was fun.

Also, classic cinema and pretentious art films are fun. The best part about LA is the Nuart theater and the best thing in Toronto is the Bell light box theater.
Love Bell Lightbox. Got to see the Irishman there in Theatres during limited release. Also, when they had the Irishman they did a Scorsese retrospective so I got to see my all time favorite film in 35mm in Goodfellas. Still pissed I didn't go to the Lawrence of Arabia 65mm showing they had at the very beginning of 2020. Absolutely a great thing to have here. 

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I used to love playing beer league ice hockey, shit was so much fun. The only league in my town got really saturated with people thinking there were scouts in the stands and taking shit way too seriously; I got tired of getting wrecked because some asshole had a bad day at work. I got the black and yellow sweater on

I also really like playing 9 ball, I don't play in a league or anything but I would spend lots of time at the pool hall pre covid. My parents have a table so it gives my dad and I something to enjoy together. I have this awesome McDermott cue thats actually made from recycled skate decks, the nature of the construction insures each cue will be one of a kind too. kinda cool

[close]

Damn those pool cues are so sick! I miss having access to a pool table at a friend's house or bar. It gets so much more fun fun when you get in a groove of playing
[close]

Aw man, I used to really, really dig shooting pool. Since I stopped hanging out in bars, I don't really shoot anymore. Damn. I miss that. When I was a kid and would stay with my grandmother in North Carolina, her and her husband were all about pool. Playing in APA leagues and all that. They'd take me into some pretty gnarly bars when I was a kid so they could play on league nights, which was like 3 or 4 nights per week. Her husband was a beast on the table and despite being an absolute scum bag, really taught me how to shoot.

Are those your cues? When my grandma died, she had remarried another shit bag by then, she left my cousin and I her the custom cues she and her ex husband played with but the dude she remarried stole them. I'm not sure what they were but I know that as kids we weren't allowed to go anywhere near them!!!

Awesome memories with your grandma dude, thanks for sharing those, for real. Covid has been tough for pool rooms and the ones that are open are pretty relaxed on their health policies...i had covid in january and dont want it again haha. But yeah, thats my main cue! I love that thing, I also have a jump break cue which isn't really worth looking at. It's just this heavy beast with plain black finish. I also have my first cue which is just a basic two piece Players. That thing shoots fucking great and I'll totally bust it out if I'm feeling off or having some other mental bullshit with the McDermott

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »
^^^
yo that's what's up! thanks for that post, it's really got some memories coming back for me in a needed way.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2021, 05:20:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Older BMWs. Specifically e28s and e34s. Have owned both. Working and driving old cars is fun.

Photography, but haven’t been motivated to shoot anything in nearly a year.

[close]

I'm trying to psyche myself up to get a fun project car. It's just intimidating because I really don't know how to do anything to a car beyond the basics. I also don't have a garage lol. You do any sim-racing?

Also, do you think your lack of motivation regarding photography is related to quarantine? I've been finding myself in a bit of a funk with my photography as well, and I think it's because I'm not traveling or getting out much. I can only do so much in the area that I live...
[close]

Older cars aren't to bad. I got my first one two summers ago and until that I had never worked on one aside from changing tires. It's pretty daunting at first, and I'm not expert but in hindsight it's not as complicated as I thought. Mind you the car in question was fairly "simple". But you eventually learn that part A helps part B function, and so on. And thanks to the internet there's a lot of videos, forums and guides. Thankfully my dad grew up in the racing scene and is/was super into cars. He's so knowledgeable, and used to have some hobby cars before he had kids. So part of the reason I got one is because it would be a great way to hang out together and share a passion. I can tell how excited he gets when we work on a project, and it's really a good feeling. My BMW 533i was pretty simple engine wise, so it was a good car to learn on I'd say. Unfortunately it needed a lot of work - and money - and at once point we had more of the engine outside the car than inside. I got it in the spring and only got to drive it a couple times before the winter came so it was a bit of a bummer having a car that I couldn't drive. I like you didn't have a garage, so the car would live in my parents driveway and the work would get done outside in the elements. I have photos of us with a rigged up tarp protecting the engine while we put things back together.

I feel you on the environmental part. I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that sense, as I have this old car that's meant to be driven and I enjoy driving it, but I also try to keep my footprint as small as possible. I kind of justify it by the fact that I walk or bike for 90% of my activities/tasks/etc. I'd really only be using my car on the weekends to go do things. And those activities would be hiking, biking or seeing friends, rather than idling at the mall parking lot buying shit I don't need. I'd sometimes get the desire to go for an aimless drive, and sometimes I'd comply but most times I try to have a destination and reason for doing so.

I've never tried sim racing, but it looks super fun. If I had an xbox I'd probably be playing Forza as there's a lot of cool cars in that and the game play looks amazing.

I think the photography funk is mostly due to quarantine. I used to be shooting about a roll of film every 1-2 weeks. In the last year I think I've shot maybe 3? It's kind of ironic too, because a lot of the photos I'd take would be of "small person in a big space" and look pretty isolated and deserted, or very much observational based, hoping to catch passing moment. And now when in theory it would make my "job" even easier, I can't be bothered to do it. I have been quite conscious about following local rules and stuff, so I don't take random walks like I used to and don't really leave my neighbourhood much, to which like you I've kind of exhausted everything I want to shoot. At the start of the pandemic I was feeling really fucked up mentally about it, and feeling down overall and very anxious so that didn't help. Due to that I'd avoid a lot of websites and places I used to visit - including SLAP - just because the constant news and gloom made things worse. I still haven't really gotten back to looking at a lot of the places I used to find inspiration, one of which was Instagram as it's probably the best place to see others work, which was something I'd spend a lot of time doing. Maybe I'll break out of it, we'll see. I've thought about selling off some of my gear, but some of it is hard to come by without spending an absurd about. I'm hoping to get back into it in the spring, as the winter has been historically slow for me from an output perspective. I just feel like I'm not mentally in the game anymore, as I used to always take camera with me wherever I went and be looking for images, where now I feels like that part of my brain isn't functioning anymore.

I'm also like you when I could care less about gear nuts and certain aspects of the "scene". I don't mind talking gear a little bit, and knowing what makes something so good/bad, or why a certain lens is useful and the like. I have a slightly above average knowledge level, but if you asked me what nikoncanonsony you should by, I couldn't really tell you much off the top of my head.  I have no time for pixel peeping or arguing about what brand is better, which you find a lot of unfortunately. I like talking about photographers and their work though.
[close]

Yeah my parents live 5 hours away, so I'll probably wait until I have room to work on one :) As far as cars go, keeping an old one running is about as green as you can be. Maintaining an old, potentially inefficient car is probably more environmentally friendly than having a brand new Prius.

Forza is definitely a fun starting point (that's how I got into it), but now I'm a full-on sim snob lol. Forza can be considered an arcade/simcade driving game, but Assetto Corsa/iRacing/BeamNG are where the good stuff really is. But for those you need a pc and a wheel/pedal setup for it to be worthwhile at all.

I'd definitely suggest you look to IG or some other outlet for some inspiration. Sometimes just seeing that one beautiful photo can get you juiced up to get out there or to try a new technique. Winter is a bad time for me photography-wise as well... I don't live where it snows, but it gets just cold enough for most of the critters I usually search for to go dormant or to migrate south. It's usually my time to experiment and find some sort of ~aesthetic~ shots since I don't have a lot of good subjects around.

Hopefully things look up this year with the vaccines going around, but I know that's no sure thing. I hope you get some good shots soon. Cheers m8.

The sim stuff does look cool. I've watched a few videos from that Jimmy guy on YouTube, the one who lives in the UK in a shed and has the nice Skyline. From out outsiders view, it looks almost a perfect replica to real life driving. Seeing people play truck driving sims appeal to me almost more than a racing game would for some reason.

Thanks for the kind words Pal. I have found a site recently that's filled my void for "pictures of things I like to look at", which is basically a variety of different design types. So things are on the up and up I think. I'm feeling better creativity wise and am pushing myself to just create, whatever that might be.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »

I also really like playing 9 ball, I don't play in a league or anything but I would spend lots of time at the pool hall pre covid. My parents have a table so it gives my dad and I something to enjoy together. I have this awesome McDermott cue thats actually made from recycled skate decks, the nature of the construction insures each cue will be one of a kind too. kinda cool

Nice cue. A friend moved into a house with a table, and I was playing a lot of 8 ball pre-covid. I was putting in some hours and seeing some progression. Oddly enough once I couldn't play, I got into watching snooker matches on YouTube. Never played it before, but it's pretty unreal. Would mostly watch Ronnie O'Sullivan clips and games. Once I can get back to playing I want to give 9 ball a go. I feel like the challenge will help me get better, or at least consider my shots and try and learn some control.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2021, 06:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice cue. A friend moved into a house with a table, and I was playing a lot of 8 ball pre-covid. I was putting in some hours and seeing some progression. Oddly enough once I couldn't play, I got into watching snooker matches on YouTube. Never played it before, but it's pretty unreal. Would mostly watch Ronnie O'Sullivan clips and games. Once I can get back to playing I want to give 9 ball a go. I feel like the challenge will help me get better, or at least consider my shots and try and learn some control.

Snooker is on a whole other level, just the size of the table is ridiculous. also, there are no diamond markers on the rail, those guys are just ridic. There is a movie called The Rack Pack about a rivalry between these two snooker players in the 80's. I found the whole thing on youtube earlier this year but for now, heres the trailer.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:35:19 AM by Omars_Dad »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2021, 06:18:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Older BMWs. Specifically e28s and e34s. Have owned both. Working and driving old cars is fun.

Photography, but haven’t been motivated to shoot anything in nearly a year.

[close]

I'm trying to psyche myself up to get a fun project car. It's just intimidating because I really don't know how to do anything to a car beyond the basics. I also don't have a garage lol. You do any sim-racing?

Also, do you think your lack of motivation regarding photography is related to quarantine? I've been finding myself in a bit of a funk with my photography as well, and I think it's because I'm not traveling or getting out much. I can only do so much in the area that I live...
[close]

Older cars aren't to bad. I got my first one two summers ago and until that I had never worked on one aside from changing tires. It's pretty daunting at first, and I'm not expert but in hindsight it's not as complicated as I thought. Mind you the car in question was fairly "simple". But you eventually learn that part A helps part B function, and so on. And thanks to the internet there's a lot of videos, forums and guides. Thankfully my dad grew up in the racing scene and is/was super into cars. He's so knowledgeable, and used to have some hobby cars before he had kids. So part of the reason I got one is because it would be a great way to hang out together and share a passion. I can tell how excited he gets when we work on a project, and it's really a good feeling. My BMW 533i was pretty simple engine wise, so it was a good car to learn on I'd say. Unfortunately it needed a lot of work - and money - and at once point we had more of the engine outside the car than inside. I got it in the spring and only got to drive it a couple times before the winter came so it was a bit of a bummer having a car that I couldn't drive. I like you didn't have a garage, so the car would live in my parents driveway and the work would get done outside in the elements. I have photos of us with a rigged up tarp protecting the engine while we put things back together.

I feel you on the environmental part. I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that sense, as I have this old car that's meant to be driven and I enjoy driving it, but I also try to keep my footprint as small as possible. I kind of justify it by the fact that I walk or bike for 90% of my activities/tasks/etc. I'd really only be using my car on the weekends to go do things. And those activities would be hiking, biking or seeing friends, rather than idling at the mall parking lot buying shit I don't need. I'd sometimes get the desire to go for an aimless drive, and sometimes I'd comply but most times I try to have a destination and reason for doing so.

I've never tried sim racing, but it looks super fun. If I had an xbox I'd probably be playing Forza as there's a lot of cool cars in that and the game play looks amazing.

I think the photography funk is mostly due to quarantine. I used to be shooting about a roll of film every 1-2 weeks. In the last year I think I've shot maybe 3? It's kind of ironic too, because a lot of the photos I'd take would be of "small person in a big space" and look pretty isolated and deserted, or very much observational based, hoping to catch passing moment. And now when in theory it would make my "job" even easier, I can't be bothered to do it. I have been quite conscious about following local rules and stuff, so I don't take random walks like I used to and don't really leave my neighbourhood much, to which like you I've kind of exhausted everything I want to shoot. At the start of the pandemic I was feeling really fucked up mentally about it, and feeling down overall and very anxious so that didn't help. Due to that I'd avoid a lot of websites and places I used to visit - including SLAP - just because the constant news and gloom made things worse. I still haven't really gotten back to looking at a lot of the places I used to find inspiration, one of which was Instagram as it's probably the best place to see others work, which was something I'd spend a lot of time doing. Maybe I'll break out of it, we'll see. I've thought about selling off some of my gear, but some of it is hard to come by without spending an absurd about. I'm hoping to get back into it in the spring, as the winter has been historically slow for me from an output perspective. I just feel like I'm not mentally in the game anymore, as I used to always take camera with me wherever I went and be looking for images, where now I feels like that part of my brain isn't functioning anymore.

I'm also like you when I could care less about gear nuts and certain aspects of the "scene". I don't mind talking gear a little bit, and knowing what makes something so good/bad, or why a certain lens is useful and the like. I have a slightly above average knowledge level, but if you asked me what nikoncanonsony you should by, I couldn't really tell you much off the top of my head.  I have no time for pixel peeping or arguing about what brand is better, which you find a lot of unfortunately. I like talking about photographers and their work though.
[close]

Yeah my parents live 5 hours away, so I'll probably wait until I have room to work on one :) As far as cars go, keeping an old one running is about as green as you can be. Maintaining an old, potentially inefficient car is probably more environmentally friendly than having a brand new Prius.

Forza is definitely a fun starting point (that's how I got into it), but now I'm a full-on sim snob lol. Forza can be considered an arcade/simcade driving game, but Assetto Corsa/iRacing/BeamNG are where the good stuff really is. But for those you need a pc and a wheel/pedal setup for it to be worthwhile at all.

I'd definitely suggest you look to IG or some other outlet for some inspiration. Sometimes just seeing that one beautiful photo can get you juiced up to get out there or to try a new technique. Winter is a bad time for me photography-wise as well... I don't live where it snows, but it gets just cold enough for most of the critters I usually search for to go dormant or to migrate south. It's usually my time to experiment and find some sort of ~aesthetic~ shots since I don't have a lot of good subjects around.

Hopefully things look up this year with the vaccines going around, but I know that's no sure thing. I hope you get some good shots soon. Cheers m8.
[close]

The sim stuff does look cool. I've watched a few videos from that Jimmy guy on YouTube, the one who lives in the UK in a shed and has the nice Skyline. From out outsiders view, it looks almost a perfect replica to real life driving. Seeing people play truck driving sims appeal to me almost more than a racing game would for some reason.

Thanks for the kind words Pal. I have found a site recently that's filled my void for "pictures of things I like to look at", which is basically a variety of different design types. So things are on the up and up I think. I'm feeling better creativity wise and am pushing myself to just create, whatever that might be.

Aw yeah I love Jimmy; watching him is what got me to get a pc and wheels/pedals. Even though I love the sim aspect, I do mostly just cruise around. Racing is fun sometimes, but it's hard and can be frustrating. BeamNG is a great one for fucking around in. It's basically a sandbox driving/physics simulator that you can cause total chaos in lol. You can build cars from scratch, make maps, rally race/rock crawl, and absolutely destroy every piece of the car. It's cathartic as hell.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
I like raw noise noisecore noise grind mostly noise punk.

Likely obvious one but some people might not know what noise core and noise punk is.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Snooker is on a whole other level, just the size of the table is ridiculous. also, there are no diamond markers on the rail, those guys are just ridic. There is a movie called The Rack Pack about a rivalry between these two snooker players in the 80's. I found the whole thing on youtube earlier this year but for now, heres the trailer.

It really is. To me it feels more strategy based than other table games, like when you can't make a really hard shot, you make a slightly harder shot to snooker your opponent. It just adds another level of madness to the game. And how it seems like finals matches can go on for hours. It's impressive to keep that level of metal focus for that long.