Author Topic: What Subculture do you like besides skateboarding?  (Read 3235 times)

Neil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 13
Re: What Subculture do you like besides skateboarding?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 06:33:17 PM »
I'm deep into bicycles- collecting, assembly, wheelbuilding, hanging with welders and painters to get my bikes built exactly how I want them. Track bikes, road bikes, randonneur, mountain bikes, I love it all and will dive into those subcultures hard. My day job is in the industry.

Surfing/ocean life too, though I feel like an outsider. I particularly like the new trend of performance soft boards and bodysurfing.

My life is just a revolving obsession with skateboarding, bikes, and surfing that goes in monthly waves. MY brain hasn't evolved since I was 13 apparently.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:30:19 PM by Neil »

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 06:41:16 PM »
I love cinema. A lot of Asian film makers. Tsai Ming Liang is my favourite.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
Kayak bass fishing, and making my own soft plastic lures that I design and 3d print.

Get hungry on it!

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:17 PM »
Surfing/ocean life too, though I feel like an outsider. I particularly like the new trend of performance soft boards and bodysurfing.
Been deeply obsessed with surfing too since I started a couple years ago.  Having this brutal inner conflict with myself lately because I’m ready for my second board, but a proper shaped glass board is out of my budget/comfort zone (nothing used available near me), and even though a Torq or similar pop-out makes the most sense, I don’t want to be seen as the kook that I am.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
Really into mountain biking and just cycling in general, going on shop rides and stuff like that is super fun.  I live in the Midwest so when I say mountain biking it’s more single speeds, fat bikes, and steel hard tails and stuff, it’s a lot more blue collar and way less broey/yuppie than people on 6k full suspension bikes. 

It’s really fun to get a crew of people together and go camp/drink/trip and ride for the weekend in some backwoods area of the country, go to country bars, be hungover, and ride a bunch.

Also mountain biking is fun cause people of a variety of fitness levels can do it together, everyone just rides at their own pace and just take a quick break and reconvene  when ever there’s a trail intersection or what ever.

No heart rate monitors, no Lycra, no worries

I got really into cycle racing a couple years ago before I started my masters. Living in NYC, it was almost perfect because you could race about 3 times in a week without ever needing a car. You definitely had to dig deep in the subculture to find people who didn't use cycling as an excuse to show off all the gear they could afford.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 09:29:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Been deeply obsessed with surfing too since I started a couple years ago.  Having this brutal inner conflict with myself lately because I’m ready for my second board, but a proper shaped glass board is out of my budget/comfort zone (nothing used available near me), and even though a Torq or similar pop-out makes the most sense, I don’t want to be seen as the kook that I am.

The foamies are sick but you need a good barreling wave for a beater as well as dece fitness to paddle hard enough. Heaps easier catching waves on a big fibreglass board mini mal or fish type deal. Cause you get better the more waves you get, you wanna just get out there and smash as many waves as you can

It feels unreal on a wave too, I mean the feeling of the fibreglass moving over the water. Sometimes you can come up on good second hand ones just google what to look for, I mean like red flags and shit, you can definitely do little repairs yourself

On crowded days if you’re not super comfortable in the lineup you can just sit outside of everyone and pick off scraps and still be learning and having fun...that’s not gonna happen so much on a beater or 54 spesh. Beater with fins out is unreal skimboard hey

Most subcultures are cool in their ways. As a kid you get all judgemental and shit about others but at the end of the day a person without a hobby is a much to be pitied individual

I don’t really know anyone that’s into it but I would like to get into sailing when I’m a bit older. I would love to be the person that sells up and fucks off at 50 just gone man, take a dog and hopefully the girl and sail around indo, fiji, South Pacific the fucken lot, man. I lurk forums of older people that do this and it’s fully achievable, you don’t need to spend millions or anything crazy on a sailboat
listen to cosmic psychos

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 09:38:25 PM »
I've gotten into Gundpla. Building the kits and seeing what other people have built is pretty rad. I've built 7 kits so far.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:33 PM »
I love cinema. A lot of Asian film makers. Tsai Ming Liang is my favourite.

Another cinema buff here. Rebels of the Neon God is terrific.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »
hate to admit but kind of been getting into the gorpcore stuff. maybe just relatable living in a city while still getting into the outdoors, and to me it feels like it exists slightly in opposition to wanderlust influencer vanlife people

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2021, 11:41:42 PM »
hate to admit but kind of been getting into the gorpcore stuff. maybe just relatable living in a city while still getting into the outdoors, and to me it feels like it exists slightly in opposition to wanderlust influencer vanlife people

I like the gorpcore scene more than the wunderlarpers out there.

Both contribute to sales tho, which allows for pro-deals for agency people. So good looks!
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2021, 12:10:03 AM »
I’m still into snowboarding pretty big (winter work) and the bindingless snow surfing scene.

Almost all the hardcore guys and old-timers skate, so it’s not a big change. Just as cliquey tho. Especially here in Japan
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2021, 04:58:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like the gorpcore scene more than the wunderlarpers out there.

Both contribute to sales tho, which allows for pro-deals for agency people. So good looks!

Big fan of goretex. I don’t follow to many brands the the space, but worked at an “outdoors” store a few years back and have a closet full of arcteryx jackets, purchased at insane prices. Have a couple of arcteryx veilance pieces, want to get a couple more but prices be crazy.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2021, 06:42:26 AM »
Saltwater fishing.

Never been but it's a dream of mine! I am really interested in seeking out streams to fish for trout. Seems like the most peaceful thing, and requires a lil hiking which I also enjoy.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »
I'm a regular contributor to Dad Jokes Quarterly and Creative Farting.

Damn this owns

You rule Layzie

Do you think you could pull off a fart routine to Your Love Is King ?

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
Saltwater fishing.
I'm lucky enough to live in prime spot for surfcasting. I enjoy the occasional chat with the guys I see on the beach but I find the "culture" involves a lot of pretty conservative/reactionary types.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »
Jazz. I don‘t really feel like a proper part of the local scene, though. I go to local sessions and concerts pretty regularly, but I only listen and barely ever talk to any of the musicians there. When I play I only play with my two friends and sometimes the occasional guest will play with us. Most people in the German jazz scene seem to be students and big nerds. Not very cool.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and fly fishing (especially Atlantic salmon).

BJJ because I love the training and my training partners are now almost like family to me. A lot of former skaters do BJJ as well, so we bond instantly. Trust is essential, as I trust you with my body and trust you won’t injure me while you’re trying to choke me unconcious. Since my ankles are so fucked from skating, this has pretty much replaced skating for me eventhough I still skate a few times a week in the summer. Hands down the most technical and challenging thing I’ve ever done, much more than any skating I’ve ever done.

Fly fishing for salmon because nothing in the world teaches patience like this. Nothing better than getting to your spot at 4am and fishing ‘til 10 pm. I always feel relaxed after a fishing trip and it’s like a mental reset for me. The high you get from hooking a salmon is indescribable, there’s no drug like it on earth. Fish bums are super passionate (although some are dicks just like anywhere else), and when you find some good ones, you’ve got friends for life. Downside is that gear is fucking expensive and I’ve gotten a taste for the high-end gear. Hope I get to go fishing for bonefish one day. Downside is its gain in popularity.

I used to be super into backcountry skiing also, but unfortunately I’ve come to realize the risk just doesn’t seem worth it anymore. I’ve lost a bunch of friends and aquaintances over the years to bad falls and avalanches. I was supposed to go on a trip last year to a place I’d been before (couldn’t get out of work for it) and lost a really good friend to an avalanche in a chute I’d skiied about 20 times. I know this chute like the back of my hand.

This was the most experienced backcountry rider I knew, he taught me so much and yet he still fell victim to Mother Nature’s wrath eventhough conditions were pristine and no one was more careful than he was. You never know what will happen out there and at 32 I kinda don’t want to find out anymore. I haven’t put ski boots on since and I don’t think I will for a while.

Sorry for the wall of text, I’m stoned and bored.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »

BJJ because I love the training and my training partners are now almost like family to me. A lot of former skaters do BJJ as well, so we bond instantly. Trust is essential, as I trust you with my body and trust you won’t injure me while you’re trying to choke me unconcious. Since my ankles are so fucked from skating, this has pretty much replaced skating for me eventhough I still skate a few times a week in the summer. Hands down the most technical and challenging thing I’ve ever done, much more than any skating I’ve ever done.

Fly fishing for salmon because nothing in the world teaches patience like this. Nothing better than getting to your spot at 4am and fishing ‘til 10 pm. I always feel relaxed after a fishing trip and it’s like a mental reset for me. The high you get from hooking a salmon is indescribable, there’s no drug like it on earth. Fish bums are super passionate (although some are dicks just like anywhere else), and when you find some good ones, you’ve got friends for life. Downside is that gear is fucking expensive and I’ve gotten a taste for the high-end gear. Hope I get to go fishing for bonefish one day. Downside is its gain in popularity.

I used to be super into backcountry skiing also, but unfortunately I’ve come to realize the risk just doesn’t seem worth it anymore. I’ve lost a bunch of friends and aquaintances over the years to bad falls and avalanches. I was supposed to go on a trip last year to a place I’d been before (couldn’t get out of work for it) and lost a really good friend to an avalanche in a chute I’d skiied about 20 times. I know this chute like the back of my hand.

This was the most experienced backcountry rider I knew, he taught me so much and yet he still fell victim to Mother Nature’s wrath eventhough conditions were pristine and no one was more careful than he was. You never know what will happen out there and at 32 I kinda don’t want to find out anymore. I haven’t put ski boots on since and I don’t think I will for a while.

Backcountry skiing seems gnarly as hell. I've found myself getting sucked into these videos when I'm stoned and bored... I know you were talking about fishing for salmon but here's my second plug for hunting for Brookies

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2021, 01:21:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Backcountry skiing seems gnarly as hell. I've found myself getting sucked into these videos when I'm stoned and bored... I know you were talking about fishing for salmon but here's my second plug for hunting for Brookies

Fishing brookies is so fun as well. Maine has such good fishing, I can’t wait to go back. I’m from Quebec so we have a lot of the same species.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
I like playing crack rocksteady but I don't like listening to most of it.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2021, 02:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fishing brookies is so fun as well. Maine has such good fishing, I can’t wait to go back. I’m from Quebec so we have a lot of the same species.

I've never actually been to Maine, only fucked around looking for brook trout in little streams near my home in Michigan. I do get to head out to CO this summer (covid permitting) to visit my dad and fish for some cutthroats on the Platte River. I feel lame for being "too cool" for fishing when I was a teenager... lots of time I could have spent doing something endlessly relaxing and fun.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2021, 02:12:19 PM »
Been into the Grateful Dead for almost as long as I've been skating. First time I went to a family related show I decided that it was what I wanted to do. I've been to a lot of shows all over the states, some better than others. It's always special to see the family and friends, to dance and shake our bones, for a few hours or a few days. It's one of those things, like skating, when you know, you know. I think a lot of it has to do with the rewiring/development of new grooves in the brain through psychedelic use with the crowds, while the music is playing, but for me and a lot of others, just listening to the music has become a pretty special experience. sings me back home, every time

other than that, I don't know much about being into subcultures, because that implies involvement in communities and I get caught in my own trap of being aggravated with people flexing expensive gear and all that. I was pretty broke/poor for a long time so I learned to make whatever I've got work.

Been riding fixed gear bikes, when I'm not hurt, since about 2011 when an old, old dude rider gave me my first bike which was an old Bianchi racer. I don't know shit about gear, just what's worked for me and that riding fixed is the closest thing I've experienced to street skating that isn't street skating. I don't live near a decent city right now so I just like to go on long rides, occasionally taking it to logging roads and gravel trails where shit can get really gnarly and fun. Maybe one of these days I'll finally get some padded shorts.

I practice and teach people different yoga and Buddhist meditation practices. The ethics of Yogic practice/study are pretty integral in my life (non-violence, truthfulness, non-stealing, maintaining appropriate sexual energy/transmission, non-greed) and have helped shape my modes of operation. The metta meditation practices (may I be happy and peaceful, may I be healthy and strong, may I be safe and protected from inner and outer harm, may I live at ease; may you be happy and peaceful...) have been helpful in developing and maintaining a sense of self love and respect that I really appreciate and enjoy sharing with others. Same with traditional mindfulness based practices (focusing on the breath and sensations). My favorite aspect of teaching is teaching it to the kids because it's a great way to help them acknowledge that "as a person, you're ok just as you are." I try to operate from a trauma informed approach- bodily trauma, psych trauma, historical trauma- in that I recognize every one has something different and unique going on, that the body-mind-heart are connected, and that it's ok for everyone to need their own thing. I could go on and on and on but will just say that this is how I try to operate in all actions and thoughts.

When my leg isn't hemmed up, I'm usually hiking solo, trying to sleep outside, shooting guns, finding something/place beautiful in the world.

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2021, 03:07:31 PM »
alot of people have some cool and interesting hobbies here....i feel like i need to step up my game. Apart from listening to music, skating and hanging out with friends/going to the bar, i feel like i dont have much else going on. I like going to the beach or just exploring new places, i guess you could say going on hikes even though i dont go often....shiiiit i need to get some new hobbies

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »
Another one for cycling here. Was always into skating and BMX as a kid, but seeing the MASH trailer on the DLX site in 2006? put my friends and I onto riding fixed gear bikes. We would go on group rides with a shop and I just got sucked into it, started working at a shops, learning mechanics. Eventually got a touring bike, a carbon road bike, CX, MTB etc. I've been at the same shop for around 11 years now and I'm still hyped. I'm definitely another one who hasn't really developed much since childhood in terms of recreational pursuits.

Could really go down a wormhole as far as all of the different folks who use bikes in different ways, and that's something I find really cool to witness and play a part in.
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2021, 04:34:18 PM »
I like playing crack rocksteady but I don't like listening to most of it.

Fuck yeah, I can play the bass to that and 500 channels! I haven’t thought of choking victim or leftover crack in years, holy fuck nostalgia

I’m gonna get 500 channels pumping on this site right after I finish eating good call lad
listen to cosmic psychos

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
Jazz. I don‘t really feel like a proper part of the local scene, though. I go to local sessions and concerts pretty regularly, but I only listen and barely ever talk to any of the musicians there. When I play I only play with my two friends and sometimes the occasional guest will play with us. Most people in the German jazz scene seem to be students and big nerds. Not very cool.

What's your instrument ? That's dope I'd be curious to learn about your learning process

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »
Cannabis, angling, psilocybin,  hip hop,
Gentleman ninja warlock

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2021, 05:56:00 PM »
Qanon.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
I'm into tattoos, watches, motorbikes, punk/ HC and some martial arts but I wouldn't go near a lot of their subcultures, same as skating I guess...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year