Author Topic: Skate One Hiring: Senior Product Designer/Mechanical Engineer  (Read 1080 times)

256 Ply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Skate One Hiring: Senior Product Designer/Mechanical Engineer
« on: February 13, 2021, 03:24:26 AM »
Senior Product Designer/Mechanical Engineer

Skate One Corp. develops, manufactures, and distributes the world’s best skateboard equipment.  We are seeking an experienced and inventive Product Designer to help us create new, game-changing products for skaters of all ages and ability levels, at our headquarters in Goleta, CA.   Our best in class decks, wheels, trucks, and bearings combined with 44 years of growth have made Skate One an industry leader and our culture a great place to exercise creativity and skills, which is why many of our team members have been with us for 20-40 years.  Not exactly “Hotel California”, but close.

Our perfect Senior Product Designer will possess:
• BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering.
• Specialized training in Product Design, like a MA or MS degree.
• 7 years or more experience in consumer-oriented product design.
• 2 years or more of skateboarding experience (one-wheel doesn’t count).
• A hands-on approach that includes brainstorming, designing, prototyping, designing for manufacturing, process and tooling development, liaison with sub-contractors, and proper documentation.
• Ability to visualize concepts and communicate them clearly and concisely.
• Mastery of 3-D CAD (Solidworks), FEA, and CAM (Mastercam).
• Journeyman skill with wood working, metal working, manual and CNC machining equipment.
• Proven skill in designing laminated wooden and fiber reinforced products, castings, forgings, injection moldings, extrusions, machined parts, compression moldings, and centrifugal castings.
• Familiarity with polyurethanes and epoxies.
• A burning desire to build the best possible products, not merely adequate ones.
• Experience getting completed product designs through production to market.
• A great work ethic and a good sense of humor.
• A desire to and the ability to work in the greater Santa Barbara, CA area.

Skate One Corp. offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid-time off, medical and dental insurance, 401k, and a flexible work schedule.

Must pass background and drug panel

Skate One is an Equal Opportunity Employer

COMPANY: Skate One
    JOB LOCATION: Goleta, CA
    JOB CATEGORIES: Hard Goods, Product, Skate
    JOB TYPE: Team Leader

https://shop-eat-surf.com/careers-listing/senior-product-designer-mechanical-engineer/

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Re: Skate One Hiring: Senior Product Designer/Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 03:30:34 AM »
Drugs panel ? Lame
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 05:06:55 AM »
Shame I'm in the UK designing boring retail displays for a living, this sounds cool.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 05:39:27 AM »
the requirements crack me up. who has an engineering degree, CAD experience, and knowledge of polymers and is actively looking for a job at a skateboard company?

late stage capitalism sucks we got hosed.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 06:00:49 AM »
At least you know they are actively discriminating against one wheel riders. I'll withhold my application until I know their stance on longboarders though.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 06:01:46 AM »
the requirements crack me up. who has an engineering degree, CAD experience, and knowledge of polymers and is actively looking for a job at a skateboard company?

late stage capitalism sucks we got hosed.

You’d be surprised.

Everybody skates, but industry jobs are hard to come by, and they rarely look outside their bubble for new talent. It all comes down to how much are they willing pay.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 06:24:26 AM »
At least you know they are actively discriminating against one wheel riders. I'll withhold my application until I know their stance on longboarders though.
They sell downhill racing boards, not sure if that’s a deal breaker.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 06:31:03 AM »
Dream job.

If I had an engineering degree I would totally apply.

I am sure someone on here could fulfill the requirements.

Who wouldn’t want to live in Santa Barbara and design skateboards?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 06:53:08 AM »
What a loaded requirement list. Looking for elon musk and Tim "the tool man" taylor rolled into one person.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 07:06:34 AM »
Pass on that one, hell I've got a slight redneck degree in beat it till it works if that sounds good.

Marketing sure I guess blab about it online and whatnot else. The rest is well as they say is up to the birds.

Seems to me most engineering degrees you need a tutor or be an apprentice with someone.
Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 07:13:08 AM »
Dream job.

It's Santa Barbara dude, about as fun as watching paint dry Goleta is even worse. Bunch of lemon groves college dorks and high schoolers wanting to break out of that town.

I've lived there for a 5-6 years stretch and I found the only good exception of that town is babe's on the beach and Church of Skatan which I think is donezo now.
Dueces Bitch's

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 08:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Dream job.

[close]
It's Santa Barbara dude, about as fun as watching paint dry Goleta is even worse. Bunch of lemon groves college dorks and high schoolers wanting to break out of that town.

I've lived there for a 5-6 years stretch and I found the only good exception of that town is babe's on the beach and Church of Skatan which I think is donezo now.

Fair enough. Not for everyone. I grew up in rural NJ so Santa Barbara is just my speed—especially because I have an 8 and 12 year old. I also had family in Goleta so I know it is just a big parking lot, but I would live closer to downtown Santa Barbara.

I have been all over CA for work and I would not want to live in the Bay Area, LA County or Orange County.

I prefer San Diego county and Santa Barbara area. I feel like I am on vacation when I am there. There are more open areas and it’s a bit easier to relax.

Where do you like better in CA?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 08:19:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dream job.

[close]

[close]

Fair enough. Not for everyone. I grew up in rural NJ so Santa Barbara is just my speed—especially because I have an 8 and 12 year old. I also had family in Goleta so I know it is just a big parking lot, but I would live closer to downtown Santa Barbara.

I have been all over CA for work and I would not want to live in the Bay Area, LA County or Orange County.

I prefer San Diego county and Santa Barbara area. I feel like I am on vacation when I am there. There are more open areas and it’s a bit easier to relax.

Where do you like better in CA?
TBH I liked the bay area not for it's scenery mind you the weather and Mexican food is definitely worth it.  Berkeley is my spot if I'm living there,  close enough to the city to jump on the train to get there but far enough away that it's not overwhelming with sketch balls. just hippies and college students.

SB and Goleta are rad if you've got an invite with homies but it's like a suburban sprawl a vacation spot for celebrities.  Seen a lot of band's in Goleta as well it's got it's good points but it's odd for me.

Dueces Bitch's

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 08:56:39 PM »
Y’all ain’t asking for much, raise the standards a bit shit.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 01:09:27 AM »
What gets me as a product/industrial design engineer with a BSc in Product design, is the part asking for journeyman skill in woodwork and metalwork...and being able to program and run a CNC.

There are shop floor guys for that, and it's a very different set of skills to being a good designer and highly proficient in Solidworks.

I've got 15 years experience designing in metals/plastics and wood, but I don't go anywhere near a machine shop, and haven't since university...and I would say that's pretty common in the design industry (in the UK and Europe at least).

Sounds to me like they should actually be posting for two roles, but are trying to cost save and roll it into one...moon on a stick job specs like this are pretty funny.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »
Yo skateone I don't know shit about plastics but I know how to put bearings into a Spitfire classic wheel without a bearing press. I think I'm your guy.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:10 PM »

Haters.

Crislerheaven

• Rep: -6
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »
Yo skateone I don't know shit about plastics but I know how to put bearings into a Spitfire classic wheel without a bearing press. I think I'm your guy.
Holy. Fuck.

If you don’t take him up on this you’ve dropped the ball.
As soon as Nelson hears that anything is “small and intimate” he gets paranoid he’s not invited and goes crazy to get there, so he put his mind to it and got there through someone else. It turned out to be thousands of people there so when he saw Paul he said, “Small, intimate world, isn’t it?