Author Topic: Baker 4 or Deathwish Uncrossed?  (Read 3676 times)

Genericwhitemale

Baker 4 or Deathwish Uncrossed?
« on: February 13, 2021, 06:33:20 AM »
Which one do you think was better?

The impact of skate videos are dead. But my pick is Uncrossed. Baker 4 had too much "Supreme" filming and completely miss the spot.
Both soundtracks were trash because good music will be censored on Youtube. Baker 4 was terrible. Uncrossed was tolerable.

Gnarfunkell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
Re: Baker 4 or Deathwish Uncrossed?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 06:36:36 AM »
I think Uncrossed was more hammer heavy, but I actually liked Baker 4.
I like the chill approach they took with it, and I actually liked a lot of the music in it.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 06:47:12 AM »
I like both videos but it’s a hard choice, I really like spanky and sammy’s part in B4 but DW was a bit of an easier watch for me. I think I’d pick uncrossed, Taylor and Pedro killed it
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 06:48:46 AM »
i liked the feeling of baker 4 more overall. baca has the best part of either video. i’m going baker

CHUTNi

• Rep: -2
  • People who only shitpost on alt accounts are weak.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 07:10:01 AM »
Except the editing which saved chunks of it, Baker 4 largely felt like a lifestyle brand's fall/winter 2019 catalogue.  Strange to think Tyson and Dustin had some of my favorite parts.  Baca delivering a full part that heavy was unexpected.  Really thought he would just have a few tricks along with nuge (who did just that).

Deathwish did itself some favors by losing the 2008 I steal from hot topic/smoke behind the mall/ can I get a cigarette?-vibe in the past half decade and put in a focused effort.

Great video, even without the company's founders, Ellington/Greco. Which was Something 917's second full length needed, and Baker 4 couldn't cut it without
A
S
L

You up lol?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 07:30:39 AM »
I loved baker 4. I guess it’s just me but 100% I’d say baker 4.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 07:44:16 AM »
I have to go Uncrossed, because it was such a surprise to me.  I don't normally gravitate to the stair counting types of skaters, but there was a genuine vibe that felt light hearted at times, despite the gnarliness unraveling.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 08:07:25 AM »
Uncrossed hands down. Deathwish team is also more like able to me than baker. I just ignore neen.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 08:10:04 AM »
Are Bam or TK in any of these? If not, pass
9/11 was a national tragedy

michael scarn

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 08:26:13 AM »
Baker 4 without a doubt. Kirby and pedro had the only good parts in uncrossed.

SpookDad2

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
Uncrossed hands down. Deathwish team is also more like able to me than baker. I just ignore neen.

what's the issue with neen? i liked his part

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »
Osiris - the Storm

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what's the issue with neen? i liked his part

I didn’t mind his part in uncrossed. I meant just in general he’s my only gripe about the deathwish team. Just not a fan. But his part in uncrossed was okay from what I remember. I should prob rewatch and pay more attention to his part.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 09:21:48 AM »
Did a process of elimination thing in my head and at the end it was pretty much Baca’s part vs Pedro, Kirby, and Foy’s parts for me. Baca is one of my favorites and his part took out a lot of the other parts in Uncrossed but even his part was not enough to take down the heaviness of Kirby, Foy and Pedro’s parts. So Uncrossed wins.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 09:27:14 AM »
Baker 4 is like that  drunk dude from your early 20s that was always at the DIY spots but disappeared one day. You see him again years later at the skatepark. He got his shit together, finished culinary school, is now married to some Italian chick, they have a daughter. Not as hilarious as he used to be but loves to reference his days as a pile. Still handsome but has a full head of grey hair, like nigga aren’t you only 34?

Uncrossed is the dude who went to Cali years ago for college and you see him around town during the holidays. Still a sick skater but every time you hang with him he is increasingly smug. You have to call him out for regurgitating a talking point Neal Brennan said on his podcast every once in a while so it gets awkward. His saving grace is that he now has great taste in movies.

So yeah I guess Baker 4.

Theseaorganization

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »
I just watched uncrossed and definitely better than Baker 4. It just made me feel good and hyped to skate while Baker 4 kinda bummed me out a little. Dollin was the only thing I enjoyed on that one.

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 09:54:16 AM »
Uncrossed.

I actually liked Baker 4, but when a video gets hyped up, especially the way Baker 4 was for almost 15 years, it’s impossible for it to live up to expectations, and I see why a lot of people were a little disappointed.

Uncrossed kind of came together quickly, and I mean that in a good way. Enough time to get people intrigued, but not too much time to get people speculating so much that they create an idea in their head what the video will be before it’s even released, and then disappointed that it’s not just how they envisioned (again that was the problem with Baker 4 IMO). I think it’s a perfect length, perfect amount of individual parts, good music, and great skating throughout. Can’t speak for others, but in my opinion Uncrossed is the exact type of skating and video I like. It was right up my alley. 

Hombreezy

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »
It sucks everyone forgets about Jake Hayes when talking about uncrossed. Dude ollied over a dumpster on flat. He had third best part behind Kirby and Pedro

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »
Uncrossed and it's not close.
Baker 4 just didn't land for me as a cohesive project. Seemed overstuffed and didn't flow through. The session at that one spot was an interesting idea but just seemed like fluff to fill in gaps.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 12:52:46 PM »
Uncrossed and it's not close.

Yep. I've watched it a bunch of times. Just a great video start to finish with better filming, editing, and some of the gnarliest shit ever done. Kirby and Pedro's part were next level but Foy's part was also insane. So many hammers! Plus the length is perfect and has way more rewatch value.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 12:58:24 PM »
Baker 4 for me. I like the music and the skating more. I don't really care about hammers anymore and could just watch spanky and Reynolds skate flat. Definitely think uncrossed is more effective at what it's trying to do. Just not what I'm into.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 01:14:15 PM »
there was great songs in both

Daniel Johnston, rolling Stones, Frank Zappa, Ramones to name a few.

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 01:47:23 PM »
Baker 4 - The music, and everything with the old heads was fantastic, Dollin, Spanky, Baca etc. It does feel like 2 teams crammed into 1 video though. Maybe it's me getting older but aside from T-Funk's raw speed none of the new riders felt like Baker to me. Which is probably why it feels 20 minutes too long. The extra 20 minutes uncrossed could have used...
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

michael scarn

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »
Did a process of elimination thing in my head and at the end it was pretty much Baca’s part vs Pedro, Kirby, and Foy’s parts for me. Baca is one of my favorites and his part took out a lot of the other parts in Uncrossed but even his part was not enough to take down the heaviness of Kirby, Foy and Pedro’s parts. So Uncrossed wins.

Dawg you just gonna ignore Spanky's part? That was a godsend if you ask me.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 03:01:45 PM »
I liked them both very much, dont know if i could choose.

Dont know about trash soundtracks though, i thought both videos had the best soundtracks in a long time.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »
Baker 4 easily

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »
I thought both were better than i expected... but i think baker 4 goes over the line for me

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

fucking, joy

• Rep: 13
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
Baker 4 was the celebration of the old dudes & an ushering in of new blood. Baca’s part will be talked about for a long time & there’s lots of charming moments but the video feels disjointed, compartmentalized, & some of the passing of the torch shit look mad forced.

Uncrossed is like watching a group of friends cheat death together & I am along for the whole half hour ride. It makes me want to skate where Baker 4 feels like watching a pretty good movie. Baker 4’s high points will have more longevity but Uncrossed is exactly what a skate video should be.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »
Uncrossed easily

Kirby and Delfino were revelations

The only thing I remember about B4 is Baca

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Uncrossed was a better video but Baker 4 had better parts.