Author Topic: any of y'all cut your own hair? clipper suggestions  (Read 607 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
any of y'all cut your own hair? clipper suggestions
« on: February 15, 2021, 08:49:29 PM »
since I buzzed it off last May, I've been using some cheap ass wahl clippers my lady got at CVS a while back.

I'm getting getting alright but these clippers with their chintzy plastic blade guards aren't doing the trick and I want to buy a solid set of clippers/blade/guards that are going to last and give a decent cut. I'm figuring up to a hundred bucks or so is a fair price from what I can see via reddit. But with reddit, everything is conjecture and everyone asking/answering questions tends to be fairly uninformed, so I'm taking it to slap where we've got experts in all sorts of shit.

thanks for the insight homies. peace
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
Re: any of y'all cut your own hair? clipper suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 09:01:53 PM »
I got a Remington set of curve clippers, shit works a treat, lowest setting then over again with the beard trimmer, rinse repeat in a week or so

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:11:14 PM »
I have panosonic hair clippers I bought 22 years ago for $30 that still go strong. Mostly for the beard tho, i bit my head nowadays.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 09:50:02 PM »
I've cut my hair my whole life but just used Wahl clippers that I bought at like Ross or Marshalls. I just keep rebuying as they get bad.

I did buy this Andis trimmer for all my precision cut stuff though. Should last you a long time as long as you clean it and use oil.

Then I use a Philips Norelco for my shave to the skin cuts. I've literally had the same skin fade my whole life since 16 and now I am 39 and finally doing just a quick bald cut since my hairline looks like dog shit.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1599
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:25:43 PM »
I spent 40-50 bucks at Wal-Mart for some Wahl clippers at the start of quarantine because my previous pair lasted about a decade with intermittent use.  The key is to use the oil as recommended.  I also only buy the clippers that plug into the wall.  It is nice to have a set without a cord but then that opens up the possibility that the battery might fail.  I learned that the hard way when I had a set of dog clippers.

I don't think you have to spend 100 USD to get a solid set of clippers.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 02:49:09 AM »
I have a Wahl, the "Balding" model.

That shit is like a straight-up lawn mower for your hair. I've had it for 3 years and I know it'll last much longer.

If you want something that works well and lasts, get yourself something a barber would use.

https://wahlpro.com/products/5-star/balding-clipper/https://wahlpro.com/products/5-star/balding-clipper/

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 03:21:51 AM »
I guess it depends on what type of style your cutting your hair? Are u fading or just going all the same length?

If u are doing any kind of fading I would recommend finding a clipper that has lots of different options for smaller guard sizes. I used those Walmart Wahl clippers on myself for like 10 years and they were ok but the lack of smaller sized guards would most of the time leave a line and I'd have to come back a few days later to clean it up. Also an adjusting taper level is key.

Another thing I didn't like about the Wahl was the width of the blade. It made for sloppier fades. Look for a clipper that's a little more narrower (most nicer clippers are). Makes a cleaner fade and easier to hold/maneuver.

Go for cordless also, u won't regret it. Lots of the non bottom shelf cordless clippers have an led battery indicator that's pretty helpful I guess.

Like Pugmaster said, u definitely don't need to splurge near the $100 mark for noticeably better clippers than Wahl. U can find some around $50 that are night and day compared to yours.

Sorry if u were hoping for actual product recommendations. It took me hours to research the perfect clippers for myself but it was worth the wait.

Last thing, purchase a nice set of scissors if the clippers come with those standard black plastic ones. They're around $20 but you'll be glad u bought em.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 06:58:18 AM »
Wahl clippers and then Harry's razor gives a nice cue ball shine haven't had any complaints yet.
Dueces Bitch's

Diocletian

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:40:20 AM »
Norelco makes a few different tier "multi groomers" that come with all sorts of attachments and guards. Go for the more premium expensive ones and just use a clipper attachment with no guard, works like a charm. Or go smooth and shave it all off with a razor, that's what I do.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
I guess it depends on what type of style your cutting your hair? Are u fading or just going all the same length?

If u are doing any kind of fading I would recommend finding a clipper that has lots of different options for smaller guard sizes. I used those Walmart Wahl clippers on myself for like 10 years and they were ok but the lack of smaller sized guards would most of the time leave a line and I'd have to come back a few days later to clean it up. Also an adjusting taper level is key.

Another thing I didn't like about the Wahl was the width of the blade. It made for sloppier fades. Look for a clipper that's a little more narrower (most nicer clippers are). Makes a cleaner fade and easier to hold/maneuver.

Go for cordless also, u won't regret it. Lots of the non bottom shelf cordless clippers have an led battery indicator that's pretty helpful I guess.

Like Pugmaster said, u definitely don't need to splurge near the $100 mark for noticeably better clippers than Wahl. U can find some around $50 that are night and day compared to yours.

Sorry if u were hoping for actual product recommendations. It took me hours to research the perfect clippers for myself but it was worth the wait.

Last thing, purchase a nice set of scissors if the clippers come with those standard black plastic ones. They're around $20 but you'll be glad u bought em.

this seems to be the most appropriate answer that I was looking for. I'm really trying to go for something close to a fade since i'v still got pretty thick hair. right now I'm using one setting and look like a fucking skinhead when I'm done unless I want a straight sling blade cut.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
I had some Olsen clippers that lasted me like 12 years. Never took care of them, 0 maintenance. Back then they were like $16. Best clippers of all time. Prices have hella changed since then. I've got some Wahl ones that I use but I still miss my Osters

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 07:25:25 PM »
I had some Olsen clippers that lasted me like 12 years. Never took care of them, 0 maintenance. Back then they were like $16. Best clippers of all time. Prices have hella changed since then. I've got some Wahl ones that I use but I still miss my Osters

ya, I'm looking at some Osters, but they're pretty pricey. Honestly though, I don't really care if they're going to last and do the job right. I'm trying to learn how to give myself a good hair cut, halfway decent anyways. Even if it wasn't Covid time, there isn't a decent old school barbershop near me. Only $30+ cuts from women I don't trust to fade me up

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 07:46:34 PM »
early quarantine i shaved my head completely (never had entire life) then i needed a mask and my sister had ordered these cute kitty cat masks so i was using that but putting it inside out so it was just black and i was in walmart one day buying covid slippers and everyone was looking at me weird and when i got back to my car i realized the mask was right side out and i was a skinhead kitty boy buying fuzzy slippers

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
I've been shaving my own hair since about 1998 and never used anything more than 9.99 shitty Kmart clippers until they pack in.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »
been using the CVS Wahl specials, cost me maybe $25 and been using the same set to buzz it for like 10 years with no issues (probably 40+ shaves). Funny story about them is that I had to go to CVS with a beanie on in July because my previous set died halfway through a haircut - I looked like a fool but it made me chuckle to myself knowing what a fucked up haircut I was hiding.

lately i've been working on getting a slight fade from the beard to the bald head. for years i was just doing a straight line a little lower than the top of my ears and the fade looks much better, but there have been a couple times it ended up starting at the bottom of my ears as i continued to fuck it up haha.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
Cheap and effective

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 03:02:47 PM »
https://skullshaver.com/collections/mens-shavers/products/palm-head-and-face-shaver

Not sure if you’re tryna go clean shaven or not. If so, I got one of these recently and it works great. About as close of a shave as a razor blade, but way quicker and easier.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S1W7D5G/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love the cordless life for self inflicted haircuts. I've been cutting my own hair since I was 18 or so.