Author Topic: Best Value Cities  (Read 3792 times)

duster1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Best Value Cities
« on: February 14, 2021, 10:08:21 PM »
What cities get you the best bang for your buck?
Skating and Baitin

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Best Value Cities
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:00:52 PM »
Minneapolis if you can deal with it being -15 outside right now.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:25:07 PM »
Pound for pound best bang for the buck I gotta go Pattaya, soi six
listen to cosmic psychos

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 12:24:10 AM »
Prague. Lots of European cities. Anywhere in South East Asia except for Singapore.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 01:25:12 AM »
Riga comes to mind.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 06:27:42 AM »
Providence baby! So many spots and significantly cheaper than Boston or New York

Pat Eisenhauer

• Rep: 23
    • Going Home Again avatar image
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 08:58:06 AM »

So what the hell do you guys do?  I'm moving there next week and scared I'm not going to skate for another month at least.  I'm old and not particularly good but I do skate like 2x a week now and fear that is going to drop off to nothing until spring hits.

I hope to meet some guys this coming summer and have some ins for next year, but the thought of going to a busy and unfamiliar indoor park alone to struggle to 5050 a ledge or 5-0 a quarter (especially during COVID) is daunting.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »
Inkster mi

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 09:03:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So what the hell do you guys do?  I'm moving there next week and scared I'm not going to skate for another month at least.  I'm old and not particularly good but I do skate like 2x a week now and fear that is going to drop off to nothing until spring hits.

I hope to meet some guys this coming summer and have some ins for next year, but the thought of going to a busy and unfamiliar indoor park alone to struggle to 5050 a ledge or 5-0 a quarter (especially during COVID) is daunting.

I don't live in Minneapolis, I live 4 hours southwest of there, contemplating moving there though.  I don't know what to tell you, 3rd lair and familia are open with mask and social distancing measures.  Fuck it, noone will remember your face with a mask on.

Pat Eisenhauer

• Rep: 23
    • Going Home Again avatar image
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:29:40 AM »
Sounds like I'm gonna have to suck it up and go skate the 3rd lair mini ramp with some rock to fakie-ing 5 year olds until I get my sea legs.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Minnesota is pretty street skating friendly.  Cops here are cool if you are.  Some areas might be a little rough but respect gets respect

hank

• Rep: -33
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 05:57:45 PM »
Inkster mi
yes im same fwording because i cant say the f word here

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 05:54:50 PM »
Providence baby! So many spots and significantly cheaper than Boston or New York

yeehaw, kid. I used to have a lot of fun in providence.

damn. just looked at real estate. you can get a lot for the money there. sub300k homes in decent spots. wow.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:14 PM »
Baltimore. City deserves way more love than it gets and it is super affordable.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 02:37:23 AM »
Sounds like I'm gonna have to suck it up and go skate the 3rd lair mini ramp with some rock to fakie-ing 5 year olds until I get my sea legs.
Parking garages, covered areas, tiny garage spaces, buy a few sheets of plywood and skate flatground in your living room...there are options.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 07:51:35 AM »

Quite a few private bowls there. Tangle with the locals and get in.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »
Tijuana

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 12:31:40 PM »
To live or to travel?

If to travel, anywhere you find cheap accommodation that's also got a lower cost of living than where you're coming from.

If to live, any place with cheap rent and a lower cost of living than where you're coming from.

These sound pretty much the same, but if you're traveling as a tourist to a touristy place then the price of accommodation might be exorbitantly high compared to what rent actually costs locals.

I think Eastern Europe as a region wins on both fronts because it's not touristy. SE Asia can be expensive as a tourist these days, depending, but is generally cheaper to live in. But if you're looking for a place that's cheap, with a decent economy (or rather has jobs that pay really well relative to the cost of living in your field of expertise) then you can kind of see it's pretty varied. Really depends exactly what you mean by "best value" cities.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 08:08:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This. There’s plenty of indoor spots. I would avoid 3rd lair if you’re over 25 doe.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 08:54:39 AM »

Any medium or kinda large city in the southeast USA that’s not Miami is relatively affordable compared to similar types of cities elsewhere in the country.

If you want something larger try Austin, Atlanta, or Charlotte

If you prefer something medium try Tampa, Raleigh, or Richmond.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. There’s plenty of indoor spots. I would avoid 3rd lair if you’re over 25 doe.

It used to be free for old people on Thursdays. That was pretty great.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
Someone in another thread made a great case for Porto, Portugal. Makes sense to me bc you get the Mediterranean weather but Portugal is way cheaper than France or Spain.

Here in the US my first instinct is to say Philly or Baltimore. Philly isn’t as cheap as it used to be but it’s still a steal compared to NYC or Boston. Baltimore is a good bit cheaper but a lot more crime and poverty and poor infrastructure/services.

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 01:53:59 PM »

I was thinking on moving there but my wife is scared of the crime.  Is it really as bad as people say? 

Some dude

• Rep: -43
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any medium or kinda large city in the southeast USA that’s not Miami is relatively affordable compared to similar types of cities elsewhere in the country.

Atlanta ain’t the spot. It’s okay for certain reasons, but I wouldn’t put it high on the best value list...it can be pricy and you need a car for anything..

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 04:41:42 PM »
Here in the US my first instinct is to say Philly or Baltimore. Philly isn’t as cheap as it used to be but it’s still a steal compared to NYC or Boston. Baltimore is a good bit cheaper but a lot more crime and poverty and poor infrastructure/services.

Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking on moving there but my wife is scared of the crime.  Is it really as bad as people say? 

Philly and Baltimore are both deeply dysfunctional cities. Baltimore is worse but cheaper.

Baltimore seems like you could find a niche and do alright but it definitely has fewer options in housing, entertainment, restaurants, etc. The yuppie neighborhoods are still plenty expensive but outside those and the white working class enclaves there is a “you shouldn’t be here vibe” that I’ve never gotten so bad in Philly.

Philly circa 2016 wasn’t terrible. It’s still pretty decent but everything keeps getting more expensive, largely thanks to New York transplants while COVID has brought on a crime wave and looming financial crisis due to an over reliance on wage taxes.

Me and my old roommate moved to Philly and Baltimore respectively and he was always saying he wanted to move up to Philly but eventually moved to Ohio after a friend got murdered on his front stoop and his kids needed to go to school.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 04:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Atlanta ain’t the spot. It’s okay for certain reasons, but I wouldn’t put it high on the best value list...it can be pricy and you need a car for anything..

Not cheap relative to the other places I’ve listed. But it is definitely the cheapest of the “hot girl cities” like LA, NYC, Miami etc.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »
Yeah I'm going to also add Atlanta ain't cheap, as I've seen and learned the Midwest and other no nothing towns like Huntsville, Birmingham, Jackson, Artisia, Tupelo, Omaha, Lawrence.

They're small and have cheaper rent but the affordability of places are in sketchy neighborhoods. What's I'm saying and someone else nailed it too as the places mentioned beforehand are cheap but have a vibe of I shouldn't be here for good reasons.

If you can, I recommend buying land and building a compound.
Dueces Bitch's

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 09:57:43 PM »
Seems like any city worth it’s dirt is going to cost you, which is cool

The cheap cities are cheap for a reason.

Great to hear about everyone’s experiences and really want to check some of these places out.

Hoping to go on a road trip in the USA and get a first hand experience
Skating and Baitin

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 12:16:30 AM »
Someone in another thread made a great case for Porto, Portugal. Makes sense to me bc you get the Mediterranean weather but Portugal is way cheaper than France or Spain.

the last part may be true, as prices for housing, living, goods, going out and such are generally lower compared to other southern/western european countries. however to the first part, porto is on the atlantic coast, nowhere near the mediterranean. so the weather can be quite changing and rain heavy, especially in the spring. i was there for a week in april, it poured every fucking day and it was super cold.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When talking about crime, I don't think anything is as bad as they say. I mean even in the worst neighborhoods there are nights the cops have nothing to do and end up sleeping in their cars. Here is a good place to compare crime in different areas... it isn't perfect, but it is a pretty good resource https://crime-data-explorer.app.cloud.gov/explorer/state/maryland/crime

The hipster neighborhoods are super gentrified and the townhomes are a deal compared to the rest of America. I considered moving there a few years ago, but the ex and I decided we'd rather return to Canada.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?