Author Topic: Best Value Cities  (Read 3793 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: Best Value Cities
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Baltimore. City deserves way more love than it gets and it is super affordable.
[close]

I was thinking on moving there but my wife is scared of the crime.  Is it really as bad as people say?
[close]

When talking about crime, I don't think anything is as bad as they say. I mean even in the worst neighborhoods there are nights the cops have nothing to do and end up sleeping in their cars. Here is a good place to compare crime in different areas... it isn't perfect, but it is a pretty good resource https://crime-data-explorer.app.cloud.gov/explorer/state/maryland/crime

The hipster neighborhoods are super gentrified and the townhomes are a deal compared to the rest of America. I considered moving there a few years ago, but the ex and I decided we'd rather return to Canada.

Uh, that’s the data for the entire state of MD. Not to be a downer but Baltimore has a murder rate that’s still twice as high as Philly’s or 5x that of Chicago.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking on moving there but my wife is scared of the crime.  Is it really as bad as people say?
[close]

When talking about crime, I don't think anything is as bad as they say. I mean even in the worst neighborhoods there are nights the cops have nothing to do and end up sleeping in their cars. Here is a good place to compare crime in different areas... it isn't perfect, but it is a pretty good resource https://crime-data-explorer.app.cloud.gov/explorer/state/maryland/crime

The hipster neighborhoods are super gentrified and the townhomes are a deal compared to the rest of America. I considered moving there a few years ago, but the ex and I decided we'd rather return to Canada.
[close]

Uh, that’s the data for the entire state of MD. Not to be a downer but Baltimore has a murder rate that’s still twice as high as Philly’s or 5x that of Chicago.

Below the option to choose the state, you can narrow down by PD and vary by type of crime.

Also, homicides aren't sporadically spread across the population. Sadly, the likelihood of being a victim, especially in Baltimore, falls upon a narrow demographic within the city. And, the violence is very unevenly spread across the city.

Gentrified/hipster Canton is a pretty safe place, especially if we are using homicide as a marker of "safe." And, so are some other areas within the city. I remember the area next to Vu being pretty amazing. https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/?range=2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQUR7Fts-w
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:00:23 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »
From my experience New Orleans. Super affordable and very friendly people. Even walking through the supposed dicier areas. The people from their porches would ask me and my girlfriend at the time how we were doing and to have a nice day

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »
New Orleans is super rad. Always a good time.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 08:13:06 AM »
New Orleans is cheap, full of seriously incredible food, and really nice people.

It’s also hotter and more humid than a demon’s nut sack. I have truly never sweat more than I did in New Orleans last autumn. 90 degrees there is easily worse than 110 in Los Angeles because it’s so dank and there’s no escaping it in the shade. Of course if you’re less of a puss than me that could be no problem. I’m sure many in the southern US could handle it just fine.

Oh also people drink like fucking fishes so if you have any inclination towards alcohol abuse it could be a very risky town.

But hey, if you can take the heat and the booze, it is a truly truly incredible one-of-a-kind city.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2021, 07:50:13 AM »
I lived all throughout the southeast state's and it's between the politics and the humidity that drives me banana's.

I live in South Florida now for now but my home is the northwest regardless of the cities I could give a shit less about them butttt for show's and events I'd rather be close in the area.
Dueces Bitch's

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
Is Pittsburgh livable if you don't know how to drive and aren't going to learn how?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »
Is Pittsburgh livable if you don't know how to drive and aren't going to learn how?
Is any American city besides New York?
(don't tell me SF you want a car there BART sucks)

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you can easily live in Chicago without a car

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ah I guess thats true.  Always forget about Chicago.  Its actually pretty cheap too all things considered.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Ah I guess thats true.  Always forget about Chicago.  Its actually pretty cheap too all things considered.

I think it depends on what someone does for work when it comes to making life in the US live-able without a car.

I lived in LA for a while and I had no problem without a car. However, I wasn't trying to go into the office each day. My work was remote and I could easily take the big blue bus from where I was staying to Stoner/The Courthouse, so shit was pretty easy. I mean the weather is perfect there is no reason not to walk to the local grocery store.

But that being said, a big portion of the city was blocked from me unless I found a ride or rented a car. (Getting to the beach would have been super hard without a car.)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You don't take Bart within SF, you take Muni and it goes everywhere
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2021, 08:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Philly is incredible easy to live in without a car. It's also super easy to get to NYC or the shore without a car. There's literally no reason to have a car here unless you work outside of the city.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2021, 10:13:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah you’re trippin if you think you need a car in SF. City is 7x7 miles too. It would be helpful if you like to explore the whole Bay Area though. I used to spend all my time in SF but lived in Oakland for a bit. Too many overnight busses from Market and Van Ness definitely could have used a car.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah you’re trippin if you think you need a car in SF. City is 7x7 miles too. It would be helpful if you like to explore the whole Bay Area though. I used to spend all my time in SF but lived in Oakland for a bit. Too many overnight busses from Market and Van Ness definitely could have used a car.

You just need to invest in ear plugs if you want to ride on the BART to Oakland. Unless they fixed the wheel sound in the last 4 years since I was in town.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2021, 12:34:01 PM »
This might be a controversial opinion but hear me out. Having moved from outside Baltimore to NY 7 years ago I think I get a better value in NY. sure my rent is more expensive but I got paid more for the same job. I also got to sell my car. I typically just ride my bike everywhere so I don’t buy a metro card. There is a ton of free entertainment and way more cheap food options. It’s easy to say rent is more expensive but when you factor in pay raise and all the other perks of a condensed city I think it has a pretty good bang for your buck. Sure middle America towns are way cheaper but can you see a dinosaur skeleton, a Rothko, go to the beach, and skate a multitude of incredible parks all in the same day without paying anything? Top it off with dollar slice or north dumpling and it’s an easy win in my book.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What? Lol. Having a car in SF fucking sucks. The parking is awful, you have to compete to get any spots and often times end up parking many blocks away from your intended destination. When I was living there I was spending on average of 20 minutes a night just looking for parking near my place and often times a good amount more than that. That sort of thing adds up over the week and makes you not want to use your car to go anywhere on your off days because it means you have to park again when you get back. Also, the parking rules are ridiculous, they street clean at least once a week and as much as three times a week on some streets which means you can't park there for the hours long time allotment for the street cleaners or get a fat ticket. If you don't have the city's pretty overpriced parking permit, or if you do have the permit but are parking somewhere outside of your residential zone, you can't remain parked at a spot for longer than two hours between Monday and Friday (some streets only allow an hour, also some include Saturday and Sunday) or you risk getting a fat ticket. There's a shit ton of traffic at most hours of the day, and makes traveling from one part of the city to another by car a headache and only slightly faster than skating there unless it's to the complete opposite side of the city. Meanwhile there are plenty of maniacs on the road that are willing to risk wrecking their car and killing themselves or others in order to get to where they're going a few minutes faster. On top of all that the risk of car break-ins is pretty high in the bay, so parking on the street may result in a broken window at least if not getting your shit took. A few of my roommates when I lived there didn't have a car and they all did just fine getting around the city on a cruiser board or a bike and using Muni and Bart, and being a car owner I was pretty envious of them that they never had to deal with any of the bullshit that owning one in SF entails. If I ever moved back I'd do the same and sell my car or pay extra to afford a spot in a private garage and never use it to go somewhere else in the city unless I really, really needed to.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

What? Lol. Having a car in SF fucking sucks. The parking is awful, you have to compete to get any spots and often times end up parking many blocks away from your intended destination. When I was living there I was spending on average of 20 minutes a night just looking for parking near my place and often times a good amount more than that. That sort of thing adds up over the week and makes you not want to use your car to go anywhere on your off days because it means you have to park again when you get back. Also, the parking rules are ridiculous, they street clean at least once a week and as much as three times a week on some streets which means you can't park there for the hours long time allotment for the street cleaners or get a fat ticket. If you don't have the city's pretty overpriced parking permit, or if you do have the permit but are parking somewhere outside of your residential zone, you can't remain parked at a spot for longer than two hours between Monday and Friday (some streets only allow an hour, also some include Saturday and Sunday) or you risk getting a fat ticket. There's a shit ton of traffic at most hours of the day, and makes traveling from one part of the city to another by car a headache and only slightly faster than skating there unless it's to the complete opposite side of the city. Meanwhile there are plenty of maniacs on the road that are willing to risk wrecking their car and killing themselves or others in order to get to where they're going a few minutes faster. On top of all that the risk of car break-ins is pretty high in the bay, so parking on the street may result in a broken window at least if not getting your shit took. A few of my roommates when I lived there didn't have a car and they all did just fine getting around the city on a cruiser board or a bike and using Muni and Bart, and being a car owner I was pretty envious of them that they never had to deal with any of the bullshit that owning one in SF entails. If I ever moved back I'd do the same and sell my car or pay extra to afford a spot in a private garage and never use it to go somewhere else in the city unless I really, really needed to.
As another poster noted, there is a lot to do in the area around the city, and it isn't really accessible without a car.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2021, 03:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Philly is incredible easy to live in without a car. It's also super easy to get to NYC or the shore without a car. There's literally no reason to have a car here unless you work outside of the city.

Philly is OK without a car if you’re not super far from CC or close enough to the EL and Broad Street line but you are cut off from large expanses of the city and surrounding areas. Chicago definitely has us beat for the ease with which you can navigate a much wider swath of city and burbs.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2021, 04:55:07 PM »
This might be a controversial opinion but hear me out. Having moved from outside Baltimore to NY 7 years ago I think I get a better value in NY. sure my rent is more expensive but I got paid more for the same job. I also got to sell my car. I typically just ride my bike everywhere so I don’t buy a metro card. There is a ton of free entertainment and way more cheap food options. It’s easy to say rent is more expensive but when you factor in pay raise and all the other perks of a condensed city I think it has a pretty good bang for your buck. Sure middle America towns are way cheaper but can you see a dinosaur skeleton, a Rothko, go to the beach, and skate a multitude of incredible parks all in the same day without paying anything? Top it off with dollar slice or north dumpling and it’s an easy win in my book.
i agree with this, it all depends on if you get your footing.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's no bargain city, but Boston (cambridge, allston, Somerville, newton, Brookline, etc) is generally easier to navigate without your own vehicle.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2021, 04:12:46 PM »
Living in the north west is the easiest and best for public transit. If you can tolerate budget prices from Seattle to Eugene Oregon you can make a weekend out of riding public transit now mind you it’s public transit not the greatest but if you need to get somewhere on the cheap it’ll cost you about 15-20 bucks at max.
Dueces Bitch's

IpathCats

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've lived in MD most of my life. I would never, ever, move to Baltimore. The juice is just NOT worth the squeeze. Gary at VU is awesome, and there are definitely some good things going on there. However, taking all things into consideration, I would strongly advise against it.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »
Saint Joseph, Mo. It's like 40 minutes from KC so you can go there any day you feel like driving a bit, lots of factory jobs to make money at, decently cheap rent (my 1 bedroom is $480).

It's really not that great but I need friends. Please move here.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“Getting your footing” is a good way to put this. I lived in NYC for 15 years, and just left about 8 months ago. In that time I saw a LOT of people come through and leave when they get burned out within 1-2 years. Others got their footing and stuck around. I grew up in NYC suburbs so I had a support network that made it doable even when I made no money. I’d probably still be there if it weren’t for COVID, but I decided to pack up and spend the year working remote from LA to dodge the winter.

It’s true that most work, even low wage hourly work, pays slightly more in NYC than other places, but housing is still extremely expensive.

In my experience there are three ways that people make it work:
1) luck out and get a decent housing situation, or they have family nearby for support. Friend already established can help set you up as well.
2) find a significant other or spouse so you can split the rent on a halfway decent apartment (I’ve seen a lot of people just dive into relationships to make their housing situation better in NY)
3) spend a shitload of money to live in a dumpy 10’x10x’ windowless box with 3 roommates and either get used to it or get fed up within a year or two.

Some people also have like STEM degrees or a building trade, so they can get a lucrative job, of course.

And I’ve also seen some people who just do NOT want a car, and for them NYC is obviously one of the best option in America. Like I’ve seen guys who got a bunch of DUIs in Tucson pack up and move to NYC so they can drink as much as they want without getting into trouble. For them it’s worth it I guess.

Now here’s my own question: what do people think of Austin TX? I recently took a remote job working for an organization based out of Austin and I’m thinking I might actually want to live there for a while. Seems like I can rent a house there for much cheaper than NY or LA. At the same time everyone tells me it’s not as cool or cheap as it used to be. Worth it?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

“Getting your footing” is a good way to put this. I lived in NYC for 15 years, and just left about 8 months ago. In that time I saw a LOT of people come through and leave when they get burned out within 1-2 years. Others got their footing and stuck around. I grew up in NYC suburbs so I had a support network that made it doable even when I made no money. I’d probably still be there if it weren’t for COVID, but I decided to pack up and spend the year working remote from LA to dodge the winter.

It’s true that most work, even low wage hourly work, pays slightly more in NYC than other places, but housing is still extremely expensive.

In my experience there are three ways that people make it work:
1) luck out and get a decent housing situation, or they have family nearby for support. Friend already established can help set you up as well.
2) find a significant other or spouse so you can split the rent on a halfway decent apartment (I’ve seen a lot of people just dive into relationships to make their housing situation better in NY)
3) spend a shitload of money to live in a dumpy 10’x10x’ windowless box with 3 roommates and either get used to it or get fed up within a year or two.

Some people also have like STEM degrees or a building trade, so they can get a lucrative job, of course.

And I’ve also seen some people who just do NOT want a car, and for them NYC is obviously one of the best option in America. Like I’ve seen guys who got a bunch of DUIs in Tucson pack up and move to NYC so they can drink as much as they want without getting into trouble. For them it’s worth it I guess.

Now here’s my own question: what do people think of Austin TX? I recently took a remote job working for an organization based out of Austin and I’m thinking I might actually want to live there for a while. Seems like I can rent a house there for much cheaper than NY or LA. At the same time everyone tells me it’s not as cool or cheap as it used to be. Worth it?
[close]

AZ has the strictest DUI laws in the country. if you get multiple dui it means you do mandatory months in jail and have your license pulled for years. So you basically have to move out of the state.

I don’t think Austin was ever legitimately cool it’s just a certain kind of person thought it was cool. It combine everything annoying in America: Texas, state capital, college town, IT people, Whole Foods people, brunch people, 1998-2004 “alternative music” people, Alex Jones people  into one place that is meant for about 250k population but now has like 1.5 million. Furthermore after the winter storm stuff I can’t see how moving there is a good idea. The one dude I know there had no power or water for a week. But more importantly it’s not that great for skating.

I agree with all the NYC sentiments. It was super easy to go a week without spending money there for me - art shows with free drinks, tons of amazing skateparks, riding my bike everywhere, etc... When I went to the bar I'd know all the best 2 for 1 happy hours. I knew a bahn mi spot in soho and their sandwiches were only 3 bucks - still are today. I could go on but yeah, once you get your footing NYC is the spot.

If you're living in a shithole there, just don't make it permanent. You'll find a rent controlled place or some steal if you just keep looking in the meantime. The thing with the "value" cities is that the salaries usually aren't as much - because I'm  assuming by value you mean cheap rent/cheap food/ cheap in general and that's usually somewhat related to the local salaries/purchasing power. You can dictate a lot of your spending, sanz rent & the bare essentials, so if you live in an "expensive" place you should have a higher salary and if your rent is decent you'll be able to save more money. I look at it like you can never save more money than what you're bringing in. So on an NYC salary, I was able to save more than in any other city I've lived in.

I'd agree with the above poster about Austin - was never that appealing to me personally. It's good though if you're into it. You could get a cheaper place with more space but that's also what I'd say if I was moving from NYC to LA so it depends where you're coming from. But a lot of locals have been pushed out of the "center" of  Austin and if you have to commute in, it's as bad as LA if I'm remembering correctly. Worth checking Austin out though, I'd say just take a trip first if you're thinking about moving there.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

without kids there's a lot of options for being frugal, once you have kids that all goes out the window.

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
Yep, I live in Austin, born and raised. Want to leave this city because I am extremely burnt out on it. Very expensive for what you get. Not really a world class city, more of a tertiary city that wishes it was.
Skating and Baitin

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »
For Canada, it's MTL by a long-shot. The only other two great cities in Canada are Toronto and Vancouver which are both a fortune to live in and saving up to actually buy a house without family support/wealthy parents is a pipedream for most unless you want to move to the distant suburbs or have a household income in the 200k CAD or higher.

As for Austin, I can't speak on value, but the BBQ scene there is unreal and I enjoyed my visit there. Live music is also great.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
Considering its one of the largest cities in the country, and offers a great bar, event, entertainment scene, lots of spots downtown, I'd say Chicago aint the cheapest but a solid value city.

I'm from Chicago area, lived in the city for 4 years then moved to Nice part of LA. However im very depressed bc I been struggling to find a good job. I seems like a lot of successful people around this part and I'm not one of them. I just love the mountains, amazing weather, and skatespots, but thats pretty much it. Dont really have anything going for me, its like a vacation ive overstayed, and like groundhog day. But thinking to move back to Chicago. Parents are getting older and lifes just easier there. Also my brother lives in Austin, I've never been but I'm visiting next week.

At this point I think I just quit apply for jobs here, and focus on Chicago or possibly Austin.