Author Topic: Thunder 149 shape question  (Read 997 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Thunder 149 shape question
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
So I just got some thunder 149s, but the shop had this image: (in link below)

https://sanctionsnow.com/products/thunder-polished-149-hi

idk if this is just an old thunder model they used as a picture, but yeah idk ive never seen the strange hangar curvature before like that

has anyone ever had these? do these even exist?

Frank and Fred

Re: Thunder 149 shape question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:20:25 PM »
The ones in the shop image are the old ones for sure. I had those when they first came out.  Good trucks but not as good as the current ones.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:20:54 PM »
those are the first versions of the 149 that came out.. they're not as high as the current 148 149 and so on

the current 147s are the same height as these. odd they wouldnt update it
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:21:18 PM »
The ones in the shop image are the old ones for sure. I had those when they first came out.  Good trucks but not as good as the current ones.

thats strange because these were recently stocked, what year did you get those ones?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »
2008, I think.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »

Funnily enough I have a photo of them.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:29:51 PM »
those are the first versions of the 149 that came out.. they're not as high as the current 148 149 and so on

the current 147s are the same height as these. odd they wouldnt update it

Now im wondering how ill react if I get some fucking 2008 thunders in the mail LMAO

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »
Collectors item, mate. You can probably find a truck nerd on here that loves them for some reason or another.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 09:35:22 PM »
Collectors item, mate. You can probably find a truck nerd on here that loves them for some reason or another.

Fair enough, in that case I guess I'll keep falling out of k grinds on my Aces

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »
I still have a pair of the old thunder 149s, super low feeling, garbage turn, best crooks I ever did.

I like the new ones alot more.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 12:38:48 AM »
I didn’t care for that version of thunders, as I found they felt like the fell off center constantly. And they felt “divey” into turns. Not really sure how else to describe it, suffice to say, I switched to Indys for a few years, before they revamped them & Jim T. Convinced me to try them again.
Needless to say, wheelbite issues aside (which is why I recently decided to give Aces a try) the current Thunder 149s won me back over.
I hope you’re stoked on your new set.
Highly underrated as a slappy truck, once they’re ground down a bit, I might add. Sooo easy to crank into a curb at any angle at all, including straight on/perpendicular approaches.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 02:11:39 PM »
I didn’t care for that version of thunders, as I found they felt like the fell off center constantly. And they felt “divey” into turns. Not really sure how else to describe it, suffice to say, I switched to Indys for a few years, before they revamped them & Jim T. Convinced me to try them again.
Needless to say, wheelbite issues aside (which is why I recently decided to give Aces a try) the current Thunder 149s won me back over.
I hope you’re stoked on your new set.
Highly underrated as a slappy truck, once they’re ground down a bit, I might add. Sooo easy to crank into a curb at any angle at all, including straight on/perpendicular approaches.

Haha I really doubt ill have an old pair come in, but nice to know the new 149s feel so good for you
and 10000% will try many slappies. im currently on ace 44 and what you said about wheelbite is bang on, but the pinch is severely limiting (probably because the axle is so set back) especially on high-risk tricks like fs 180 nosegrinds and bs 180 nose grinds where locking in suski can potentially save your life.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 01:58:31 PM »
I feel like it's a bit harder to manual with Thunder trucks compared to say Indy's because Thunders have a longer wheel base compared to all other trucks.

Anyone else that has switched between Thunders a fair bit notice this as well? I feel like Thunders grind the best as well but don't last as long as Indy's. That doesn't bother me though.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 02:55:07 PM »
I feel like it's a bit harder to manual with Thunder trucks compared to say Indy's because Thunders have a longer wheel base compared to all other trucks.

Anyone else that has switched between Thunders a fair bit notice this as well? I feel like Thunders grind the best as well but don't last as long as Indy's. That doesn't bother me though.
would you say indy has a "cheaper" manual? they are made in china you know
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »
I feel like it's a bit harder to manual with Thunder trucks compared to say Indy's because Thunders Venture have a longer wheel base compared to all other trucks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 06:13:03 PM »

Yes that is the case, same as Xen mentioned, Venture are even longer.

If you pair either of them up with a steep tail, it is a hard change to get used to, compared to Indy on a mellow tail for manuals and other things, but like anything, if you stick at them, you get more used to it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

I like manual on thunders actually because of how its heavier to tip

i feel like indys are too 'sensitive' if that makes sense

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like manual on thunders actually because of how its heavier to tip

i feel like indys are too 'sensitive' if that makes sense

I feel this, on Indys/ace its easier to manual for sure but harder to hold whereas with thunders its a bit harder to jump into it cuz its heavier to pop but holding them feels way easier