Author Topic: Miles Griptape  (Read 7037 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Miles Griptape
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
From my sheet, I dont see any micro holes like Mob. I have a sheet of Mob that I compare it to, it's definitely less gritty than Mob & the Miles sheet on its own is very flimsy, it doesn't have that stiff/thickness that Mob does.

So more like jessup? How’s the grit  compare to jessup? Also after you skate it a while tell us how it holds up

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »
Expand Quote
From my sheet, I dont see any micro holes like Mob. I have a sheet of Mob that I compare it to, it's definitely less gritty than Mob & the Miles sheet on its own is very flimsy, it doesn't have that stiff/thickness that Mob does.
[close]

So more like jessup? How’s the grit  compare to jessup? Also after you skate it a while tell us how it holds up
If I had to compare it to something, it would be Jessup. I'm going to set up a half and half grip situation, half mob, half miles.

Ed Terps

• Rep: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 04:45:20 PM »
Just bought a sheet at my local shop. Looks and feels insanely thin compared to Jessup & Mob. not nearly as grippy or thick tho. Not sure if that was made intentionally so the plastic blade that comes with can actually be useful?

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »
Just bought a sheet at my local shop. Looks and feels insanely thin compared to Jessup & Mob. not nearly as grippy or thick tho. Not sure if that was made intentionally so the plastic blade that comes with can actually be useful?

i can't wait to see the shitty cut that plastic blade provides

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 01:29:31 AM »
I have 2 sheets on the way (along with one of those cool ass Atlas shop decks with the lotti graphics), should be here today or tomorrow. I'll get as nerdy with it as you can get with griptape. Which isn't really that nerdy.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 01:59:44 AM »
I have 2 sheets on the way (along with one of those cool ass Atlas shop decks with the lotti graphics), should be here today or tomorrow. I'll get as nerdy with it as you can get with griptape. Which isn't really that nerdy.
Let's be real... it's pretty nerdy...

Dan Gerous

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 06:19:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They call it an 'emergency blade'. ;D

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 12:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man I don't think I can really use my digital calipers on grip but I'm sure as shit going to try. I'm pretty sure I've got a magnifying glass or one of those cool old fly tying vises around here somewhere too.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2021, 01:29:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Man I don't think I can really use my digital calipers on grip but I'm sure as shit going to try. I'm pretty sure I've got a magnifying glass or one of those cool old fly tying vises around here somewhere too.
Someone send me a sheet of each and I'll quantify the difference in surface roughness at my materials science lab

thespacewolf

• Rep: 12
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2021, 01:51:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried cutting it with the emergency blade and I immediately threw it away and used an actual blade lol, cool idea in retrospect, but man the plastic blades suck

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 08:14:02 PM »

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 06:47:46 PM »
Any updates?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 08:31:47 AM »
I got a sheet, it didn‘t come cheap at 13 Swiss francs (ca. 14 US dollars). I only rode Mob before but I like Miles very much. It‘s grippy enough but not as rough as Mob. Feels perfect from the get go. We‘ll see how long it lasts. The sheet was a bit short tho. Didn‘t even try the plastic blade.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2022, 07:20:48 AM »
I fully agree it feels perfect from the start, BUT it's still the worst grip I've ever used. Gonna re-grip for the first time ever today because the deck is still super fine but there is zero grip left. Never had anything like that happen before. It's not a super long lasting deck either, just a standard krooked deck I've been riding for 3 weeks now.

This griptape does everything extremely well except actually being grippy for longer than 1-2 weeks. Do not recommend at all.
Great for pro skaters, shit for everyone else

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »
It's thin and stretchy, grips about as well as jessup and lasts about as long too. If you want to buy it to support the team I'd say definitely go for it, just don't expect it to actually be some kind of massive leap forward in grip tape technology. I'm pretty sure it's the same supplier that shake junt uses (or used to use, haven't bought sj grip in a long while)

Personally if I want a thinner grip like that I prefer flypaper. It's a little grittier and has the only acceptable die cut punch out.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
It's apparently extremely easy to rip off too. I thought this is going to be a huge pain in the ass but it only took a minute. Super thin. That's kinda nice, but I'd prefer if it was just grippier for longer.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2022, 12:39:57 PM »
It's apparently extremely easy to rip off too. I thought this is going to be a huge pain in the ass but it only took a minute. Super thin. That's kinda nice, but I'd prefer if it was just grippier for longer.
For real? I tried to take off a sheet of miles and heat basically just separated the grip from the adhesive.

I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For real? I tried to take off a sheet of miles and heat basically just separated the grip from the adhesive.

Top graphic is sick

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2022, 06:12:23 PM »
It's thin and stretchy, grips about as well as jessup and lasts about as long too. If you want to buy it to support the team I'd say definitely go for it, just don't expect it to actually be some kind of massive leap forward in grip tape technology. I'm pretty sure it's the same supplier that shake junt uses (or used to use, haven't bought sj grip in a long while)

Personally if I want a thinner grip like that I prefer flypaper. It's a little grittier and has the only acceptable die cut punch out.

Just got a sheet of miles. Normally skate jessup. Recently tried mob, but fucked it up trying to lightly sand the grip with the scraps…anyways, I keep boards forever: am I going to hate this miles stuff or should I set it up?

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2022, 06:51:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just got a sheet of miles. Normally skate jessup. Recently tried mob, but fucked it up trying to lightly sand the grip with the scraps…anyways, I keep boards forever: am I going to hate this miles stuff or should I set it up?
I usually ride Jessup and didn’t have any complaints while riding Miles.The edges wore down differently but that deck (in my last post) has the unrouted top rail so the grip comes right out to the edge and is probably what caused the issue. I wouldn’t bother with the plastic razor btw.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

slobburnquist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2022, 06:22:23 AM »
Yall all need to quit playing these games and just get yourselves a sheet of Pepper grip. You will not be disappointed!

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2022, 08:33:58 AM »
Had a sheet of Miles and it was better than Jessup and less gritty than Mob. I liked it and might buy it again but I’m waiting for my local to get Pepper. Have heard good things about it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2022, 09:05:32 AM »
Pepper is the superior grip. Even though I’m on jessup now. Cause it’s what I had laying around. And my local don’t have pepper

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2022, 02:18:22 PM »
Pepper grip feels like Jessup to me. If you prefer more grip, I would recommend Jessup Ultra or Mob tbh

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »

I've been skating this deck with Miles for a week and a half. It's been hot here, the other day it "felt like 122" according to The Weather Channel. Jessup bubbles and peels, Mob eats shoes worse in the heat, and it seems Miles separates into layers. The board hasn't been hit on a ledge to cause the separation, as the concave and kicks are fairly steep on this deck. I have to be conscious not to rub my feet into the grip or it comes off. The grip on the tail is coming off as well.  :-\

Would anyone happen to know a heat-resistant griptape?

I don’t, but I have to ask, what hardware is that? Special tool? Never seen it before

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2022, 04:25:48 PM »
I don’t, but I have to ask, what hardware is that? Special tool? Never seen it before

Titanium tri-wing aerospace close tolerance NAS bolts. They were dirt cheap off eBay, but the seller no longer ships them.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »
Pepper is the superior grip. Even though I’m on jessup now. Cause it’s what I had laying around. And my local don’t have pepper

Yall all need to quit playing these games and just get yourselves a sheet of Pepper grip. You will not be disappointed!

this.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2022, 07:51:07 PM »
Not sure how it does in heat, but Pepper is super solid. Only use to ride Jessup, but I try to get Pepper when I can
The chillest1

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2022, 10:45:28 PM »
Titanium tri-wing aerospace close tolerance NAS bolts. They were dirt cheap off eBay, but the seller no longer ships them.
Wild, kid.
WILD!
Honestly though, I’d probably feel a bit  crestfallen if I found out you were running some trifling Phillips or Allen jawns.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2022, 11:40:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

this.

Pepper is really good. It’s pretty close to Jessup ultra, just slightly less gritty. I haven’t had Black Magic in close to 20 years (just found out they still make it), but Pepper immediately reminded me of Black Magic when I first rode it. I’ve been riding it for about a month on my current deck and it’s still going strong