Author Topic: Received wrong deck - blessing in disguise  (Read 1327 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
Received wrong deck - blessing in disguise
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »
Have you ever ordered a board online, only to receive a different one? And then the shop are dicks about returns? This happened to me twice around 20 years ago, and both boards that I did receive ended up being awesome. That initial anger, hoping to receive X board but receiving Y board... was horrid. Then "we don't do returns" amplifying the anger X2.

Well.. my first one, was when Habitat was brand new. I knew I was going to be a Habitat guy... was waiting for those boards. Wanted the Kerry Getz 7.56 (It was red/yellow.. AoS doesn't have it on there surprisingly?). This girl I was sorta with at the time, paid for it (b-day) and I ordered it. Could not wait. Well the day came, and it was a green/brown Tim O'Connor 7.6 deck (also not on AoS?). I was pretty pissed and they wouldn't take it back PLUS "We don't even have the Getz dude". Anyway, I set up the board and it ended up being one of the best boards I ever had. First few sessions I wanted to not like it out of spite, but I skated really good on that one. Wish I had kept it when it died. I have the 2000 buyers guide with the boards, will take pics later

The other one 2002, I ordered a 7.5 Enjoi (possibly Mullen or MJ maybe?), but received a 7.4? (pretty sure, I remember thinking it was tiny) Louie Barletta. I couldn't believe it, same deal. The shape seemed like it got thinner by the front trucks and almost pointy nose. The AoS image doesn't show that. I wanted to hate this board so bad. The more I wanted to hate it, the better that I skated on it. I do recall getting more consistent with some harder tricks on it even. So I ended up loving it. Then once I surrendered to its sweet love, the tail snapped off, doing a fs flip off a sidewalk. Bad landing. At this time, boards only lasted me about 2 weeks and when they were done (to me, mega chips and or cracks, tail shape worn out or actually broken)… I would toss the dead boards on top of this building nearby. This empty building was a empty grocery store for years. About 2006, it became an outdoorsy store, but I mean like: North Face, Patagonia, kayaks, climbing etc. not like a Cabelas or hunting outdoors style. Part of me would like to climb on to the roof just to see, but I bet years ago someone was up there and like "what the hell...." as me and my friend Jason threw so many dead boards up there. Dead board graveyard. Here's the Louie graphic

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: Received wrong deck - blessing in disguise
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 09:26:22 AM »
With how much madness I have I would not be happy if I got sent the wrong sized board which has luckily never happened to me.

I did recently get the wrong size shirt from a shop and they were super cool about it. I returned it and got the right size and they threw in a free shirt

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »
Similar shit happened to me: ordered a Enjoy MJ 7.75 and got a Blind 7.625 with some free hardware and a bunch of stickers.
I skated like a beast with that one. This was... 2001 I believe.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »
Back in '10 when I was in high school, I ordered this Bryan Herman Baker deck

but sent me this graphic (which is now going for $200 on eBay??)

there wasn't much of a size difference iirc so I didn't mind but my mom wasn't siked on the pot
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 06:40:44 AM »
I ordered an 8.1 primitive deck but I received an 8.25. Haven’t ridden it yet but I’m sure I won’t hate it.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »
Anti-Hero had a deck series with surfboard insired graphics. Wanted the Cardiel, got the Stanger. The Stranger looked even better than Cardiel's graphic.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 07:35:45 AM »
I bought some Rowan's online recently. Box came one shoe sz8 one sz10. If anyone knows where to donate different sized shoes let me know.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »
This used to happen more often: order a size, get a different size. Or go to a shop, think you were getting a certain thing, be super juiced, drive back home for two hours and realize it was something else. I was usually trying to do some dumbshit, like find the narrowest possible board. Very similar to the dumbshit today where some are looking for the opposite extreme. Anyways, it was kinda cool....‘ yeah I dunno normally IM ONLY ABOUT 7.5s, you know me right? But yeah I can still tre this fine’.... to be young and not care. But also the shit towards the middle maybe works easier. CCS catalogues....they probably had like 3 people working for them, and board dimensions changed, quickly. Skateboarding is just now, like 30 years later, slowly inching towards being able to measure shit correctly. Slowly.

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 02:48:00 PM »
This used to happen more often: order a size, get a different size. Or go to a shop, think you were getting a certain thing, be super juiced, drive back home for two hours and realize it was something else. I was usually trying to do some dumbshit, like find the narrowest possible board. Very similar to the dumbshit today where some are looking for the opposite extreme. Anyways, it was kinda cool....‘ yeah I dunno normally IM ONLY ABOUT 7.5s, you know me right? But yeah I can still tre this fine’.... to be young and not care. But also the shit towards the middle maybe works easier. CCS catalogues....they probably had like 3 people working for them, and board dimensions changed, quickly. Skateboarding is just now, like 30 years later, slowly inching towards being able to measure shit correctly. Slowly.
I'm curious how you went to a shop and bought something only to realize it was something different? Do you mean like the advertised size was different when measuring yourself?
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm curious how you went to a shop and bought something only to realize it was something different? Do you mean like the advertised size was different when measuring yourself?

I got an that 917 olson sound board. The shrink wrap has a sticker that says 8.5, but the back has this barcode sticker that says 8.38. idk what size it is really but it covers the 149 indies I have on it, close enough i'm not gonna sweat it lol

nothing's been the since same

Stuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »
I got an 8.38 once thinking I had gotten a 8.6. I glued one toothpick on the side and it’s a 8.5 now.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Once I got 2 wheels that were 50, and 2 that were 52. I skated great. I did go back to the shop and swap 2 out so I had an even set.

But yeah, mostly a board would supposedly be one size, grab it and go, measure it later, and it’d be smaller/bigger than I thought. Tape measures weren’t always readily available, and some shops weren’t into nerd shit. Maybe they had it right along

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
When I was younger I literally always went straight for the graphics. I knew not to go too big or too small but I never actually knew the size of the board I was buying. Just as long as it passed the eye test and my parents were paying, I really didn't care. Nowadays it's strictly 8.25's and 8's, but always smaller trucks than the board width, guess that's where I picked that magic carpet habit up from.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

ChromeballAccident

• Rep: 5
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 11:20:05 PM »
Expand Quote

I got an that 917 olson sound board. The shrink wrap has a sticker that says 8.5, but the back has this barcode sticker that says 8.38. idk what size it is really but it covers the 149 indies I have on it, close enough i'm not gonna sweat it lol
I've ordered a few 917s with wrong WBs on the stickers, but they've always been right upon measuring  8)

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 11:50:08 PM »
good thread.

loved sorry and really sorry (still do) and really wanted this arto board back then, so i proceeded to order it only and was super hyped for it to arrive.

instead i got this

it was like some mini-deck, super narrow, super short, and definitely not suited for my big ass feet. ended up loving it regardless of its size and was also able to kickflip three five stair sets in a row at the local furniture shop back in the day. i still have this deck somewhere. the tail chipped super bad and i constantly tried to extend its life with wood glue.

also, i ordered a pair of grind kings back in the day. the shop sent me two differently sized trucks and upon my complaint initially refused to take them back, "as it wasn't their fault" (???). finally, they said ok send them back, the shipping will get refunded (surely enough it never was refunded) and they'll ship out the correct ones. some weeks later i get the package again, and it was two trucks of the wrong size that i did not want. cool.

NorthSideHuevos

• Rep: -1
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 11:33:55 AM »
Not that big a deal because its a wall hanger but, ordered the clyde singleton Stragelove 8.5 a few days after the drop from Brooklyn Projects. Took a couple extra weeks to ship, received an 8 and it already had wall hanger holes in the plastic. I assume that they were actually sold out and some employee had to go pull their wall board down to ship. All speculation though so who knows.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
To finish my first story... Here's the first Habitat Getz that I wanted

The Tim O'Connor that I received (the green was more dark in real life)

And the Fred Gall board from the series, because Fred Gall:

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
I just broke my board 5 minutes into the sesh and a friend of mine gave me his used one because he was just setting up a new one.

Even tho I bought a fresh Deck directly on the way home I am still skating my friends old deck. It is wider than the ones i usually skate and its almost done but its a long time ago since i have felt that comfortable on a board.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »
Habitat had a deep archive of great graphics to go back to. Wish they would reissue more.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus