Author Topic: Any pals/members run their own business  (Read 754 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Any pals/members run their own business
« on: February 18, 2021, 03:21:00 PM »
I guess this is whatever ....

Any pals/members run their own business?

I'm currently in landscaping but am starting a food business soon. Just waiting on funding.

Ill admit in scared going from a salary to the unknown.

Would love to hear from others running businesses on their thoughts.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Any pals/members run their own business
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:26:56 PM »
Yes. It is very hard to turn a dollar into something more than a dollar. It's tough to sleep when you know you'd be making money if you stayed awake a few more hours. I did leave a well salaried job to start my own business, but also so I could be home to raise my kid instead of being away from home 14 hours a day. No regrets about that part, at least!

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:18:55 AM »
Naw, I'm wage cucking.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:42:17 AM »
Ex-wife ruined my construction business 05'-08' I came in to a lot of money and was flipping houses like Kerry Getz.

I had a joint account with ex and went away for a by myself weekend incommunicado unplugged for awhile and came back money is gone I tried to fight with the bank and whatnot and lost it all. 

I recommend that anyone you do business with make sure your ass is covered and with someone you know won't do you dirty.
Dueces Bitch's

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
Ex-wife ruined my construction business 05'-08' I came in to a lot of money and was flipping houses like Kerry Getz.

I had a joint account with ex and went away for a by myself weekend incommunicado unplugged for awhile and came back money is gone I tried to fight with the bank and whatnot and lost it all. 

I recommend that anyone you do business with make sure your ass is covered and with someone you know won't do you dirty.

No way man. Jesus that's heartbreaking.

There must be some legal recourse you could do ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Fhk

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »
My wife owns/runs her own food truck. She has been her own boss since college and couldn't live any other way. It is a ton of work but she loves it and answers to noone. Personally I enjoy punching out and going home without worries. Any food related questions I could always ask her and maybe could be of help to you.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »
I don't run my own business but my pops did when I grew up. There are some definite pros and cons. The pros are you own your business, your hours are how you want it to be and when profits are good.....they are really good. The bad that I see is the long term goals like retirement, having a savings, getting out of debt, etc. My dad took a ton of loans running his business and when things got bad (he owned a arts and craft shop), he left with no money and no real savings at all. Big retail shops like Michaels and Joanne Fabrics killed him but even online shops would have terminated his business in the long run anyways. Now he lives in an in law unit and collects social security and lived very discrete.

I on the other hand did the corporate thing. It's been a total battle since I started over 10 years ago because I was an art guy and hated the idea of a white collared job. Now that I am 39, it's not as bad. My advice to you in your job is just play it smart. Food business is scary since COVID but at least food trucks still can sell meals with little to no hassle. Hopefully you got a good dish that sells like hot cakes because the thing that my wife and I still like to do even if we can't do shit is go get a nice meal.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 39
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »
I run a Digital Product Studio. Probably depends on your country of residence and what kind of business you are starting, but be prepared for a fair amount of bureaucratic stuff to deal with, especially once you start hiring. Always stay on top of your financial planning. Definitely get a good tax advisor as soon as you start. If you know someone business savvy and more experienced, convince them to mentor you. Even if it's just to bitch over a coffee from time to time or to bounce ideas. In general, use your time wisely, there's never enough hours in a day and it's super fucking easy to burn out starting a business, so try to find a balance.

One thing that is really important to remember: you are always working for someone else, no matter if you are employed, freelancing, or running your own business.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 03:50:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No way man. Jesus that's heartbreaking.

There must be some legal recourse you could do ?
I was out of options at that time, I did everything I could do except beat it out of her. I know I know that's not cool and I didn't. Mind you I chose to leave with what little self respect and a little coin in my pocket.
Dueces Bitch's

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
I had a skateshop for 8 years... then a junk store for a year that my friend took over.
And I have currently a leather business online... it is maybe 5 years in.

Nothing beats working for yourself... but I also keep a regular job as a PSW. I like a combo of both.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 04:09:56 PM »
I had a skateshop for 8 years... then a junk store for a year that my friend took over.

Nothing beats working for yourself... but I also keep a regular job as a PSW. I like a combo of both.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »

An old friend just started her own thrift store. Thought that might be  fun side hustle.
Crunching numbers to see if converting a small RV into a esthetician/spa truck. Facials, lash's, brows, foot detox, maybe even a up small "salt cave". My wife thinks going to weddings and events could be a money maker. And she could see people in our driveway as well. If that doesn't work out, we will just open a regular brick and mortar.

Fhk

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 04:00:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

An old friend just started her own thrift store. Thought that might be  fun side hustle.
Crunching numbers to see if converting a small RV into a esthetician/spa truck. Facials, lash's, brows, foot detox, maybe even a up small "salt cave". My wife thinks going to weddings and events could be a money maker. And she could see people in our driveway as well. If that doesn't work out, we will just open a regular brick and mortar.
The mobile thing is absolutely huge right now. It would be hard to not be successful while this fad is going strong.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 04:40:54 AM »
My wife just opened up her apothecary and it’s doing pretty well. I joke that I’m a majority share holder etc. because she will sometimes borrow some money to buy herbs and supplies and shit. But she’s honestly busted her ass to get her shit up and running, and I’m super proud of her.

Also, if any pals have an etsy or any other sales platform please link it because I would love to support the pals in the hustle!
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »
Ran a IT reseller company with an ex-colleague in my mid-20s. We started off and friends but things got sour towards the end, he still hold me responsible for a bunch of things even after I left and threatened to take me to small claims court over $500. There were some highs but the stress of keeping the lights on, getting staff paid, trying to close a sale with only $50 in your bank account was stressful and horrible for my health, I think I dropped down to 130lbs from stress. When things were good, we basked in the glory together, but when things were shit it was my fault. I eventually learned that he viewed me as an employee and not an equal as a business partner.

I stepped away from the business after 2 years and sold off my shares to him for my initial invest of $10k. I should have asked for more, I went 6 months at the start without taking a pay check and he was still getting residuals from the sales I closed. But at that time I was so burnt out from being a business owner I took the crap deal and went back to corporate life.

The biggest take away was learning about myself and limitations. In my early 20's I was open to anything and thought I could take on any role in the company, be it admin, accounts, IT, sales, post-sales and HR. Having done all these roles allowed me to see what parts I liked (pre-sales) and which parts I hated (HR, cold calling).

Anyone looking to start a side hustle should read the book "The Lean Startup". Keep things small and lean until it's the right time to scale up. My ex-business partner and I made the mistake of getting an office space and hiring staff before we were ready.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:00:04 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »
My wife owns/runs her own food truck. She has been her own boss since college and couldn't live any other way. It is a ton of work but she loves it and answers to noone. Personally I enjoy punching out and going home without worries. Any food related questions I could always ask her and maybe could be of help to you.

Promote her business. What's the name and where?  Hope she's doing well during these crazy times.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »
I helped my friend run his skate shop for some years. It was his but he added me as part owner towards the last few years. It did well, nothing I would quit my job at the time for though. Shop ran for about 5 years. It was great. Learned a lot.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
Ive been really curious about starting my own skateshop in my town ever since the shutdown. Curious to hear your guys opinion about if I should or not.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »
i was a solo practitioner  for a little while before being picked up by firm fairly recently (thankfully it was kind of in the nick of time before the pandemic which is good because the area of law i was in basically ground to a halt).  the money is not as good as when i had a banger of year but its a lot better than when i had a shitty one.  its got its pros and cons.  i dont have to worry about overhead, buying my own office supplies, keeping the accounting, and grinding for business. i get to actually be a lawyer which is what i enjoy doing and not a businessman (which i hate).   on the flip side i don't love doing the types of cases that make up this office's bread and butter (plaintiff's side civil), i dont get to pick and choose my cases like before, and if i just decide to dip out for a friday people notice.

overall my life is a lot calmer working for a company- paying 1/4lys is such a pain in the fucking ass, i don't feel guilty if im not working 14 hour days, and learning how to save when you are killing it and spend when you are barren is a lesson that you can only learn from painful experience.  i also have a support staff now so i can just delegate the busy work.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
Had my own landscaping biz from 98 or 99 until 2008. I usually worked 7 days a week from March through October but then had the winters off (I had other shit I would do, to not tap into savings... house maintenance shit). Being my own boss was awesome and I 100% miss not answering to anyone. I enjoyed the satisfaction of a great job done, and prefer physical labor over the boring office data shit I do now. I was way younger then, so I could work 13 hour days and still skate all night.

My most enjoyment came during winter though. My brother (does not skate, grown man video game nerd) always thought he was funny, when it was raining or snowing.... to be like "gonna go skate? gonna skate? Good weather, gonna skate?". Soo... during winter... when it was -10 degrees, icy roads, 2 feet of snow, I would wake up early, JUST to get him with a :
"Gonna go to work? Gonna work? Good weather, gonna work?", as we both knew I was just going to smoke my peace pipe all day in the heat, and he had to drive his bitch ass in the snow.