Author Topic: Nike Skate Shop Day  (Read 5247 times)

Mcidraque

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Nike Skate Shop Day
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what Nike has planned for Child Labor Day!

sorry to be that guy, but had to complete your reply

Expand Quote
funny that Nyjah isn't in there.
[close]

He's out supporting his local shop

LOL

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 12:04:17 AM »
Nike should be embarrassed posting this after closing 100's of amazing shop doors across the states in the last few months. They don't give two fucks about local shops, they just know skateboarding is a nice way to cash in on some easy $$$.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 12:47:04 AM »
Nike should be embarrassed posting this after closing 100's of amazing shop doors across the states in the last few months. They don't give two fucks about local shops, they just know skateboarding is a nice way to cash in on some easy $$$.

Name 2 shops

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 12:53:19 AM »
Only Nike Shoe i own is a indoor Running shoe i bought 20 Years Ago for Sport class. Still Fine, so Quality was Good but Never would i buy a Nike SB product.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2021, 01:24:47 AM »
Isn't it funny they chose 58? (Waits for scurrying sounds of Bobby Puleo to pass before continuing) It seems like a call back to their "I-58 Tour"  video they came out with a couple years back.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2021, 01:31:38 AM »
Isn't it funny they chose 58? (Waits for scurrying sounds of Bobby Puleo to pass before continuing) It seems like a call back to their "I-58 Tour"  video they came out with a couple years back.

Because those numbers resemble SB like in 80085

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2021, 01:33:58 AM »
This reel is cute and all

but the hypocrisy is off the charts considering they close accounts for no reason (Converse did it without any explanation and despite the fact we're playing our role as a core shop and pay the bills)

They only want shops that move huge quantities and don't adapt minimum quantities to small shops.
If they really care as a company, the "support your local skateshop" motto should not be based on your shop size or having only Nikes on the wall.
only for the happy few

a big sneakers shop is currently faking a new skateshop to get the SB account
is it really supporting skater owned shops when you give SBs to such a shop ?

Speaking of supporting shops, just know that
Converse and Nike were the only brands that REFUSED to reschedule debt during lockdown

please Nike, shut up on skateshop day

PS: not even envious of being a slave to corporate bullshit and managing raffles for morons who don't skate
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:19:56 AM by BALARGUE »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »

but the hypocrisy is off the charts considering they close accounts for no reason (Converse did it without any explanation and despite the fact we're playing our role as a core shop and pay the bills)

They only want shops that move huge quantities and don't adapt minimum quantities to small shops.
If they really care as a company, the "support your local skateshop" motto should not be based on your shop size or having only Nikes on the wall.
only for the happy few

Converse and Nike were the only brands that REFUSED to reschedule debt during lockdown

Not surprising at all to hear this.

How people can blindly follow them while knowing full well they do this is sickening. They are toxic for skating. Always have been.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2021, 02:18:52 AM »
Has anyone tried to acquire Nike for a small, local shop?  Was it easy to get?  Requirements?

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2021, 02:21:00 AM »
i still love my zoom blazers mid, sorry slap

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2021, 02:27:16 AM »
Has anyone tried to acquire Nike for a small, local shop?  Was it easy to get?  Requirements?
iirc
10000€ (wholesale price) / roughly between 200 and 250 shoe boxes each season
(don't remember if it means each trimester or semester though, either way it's not for small shops especially if you want some diversity on your wall)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:37:25 AM by BALARGUE »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2021, 02:28:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Name 2 shops

You know well they do man c'mon. No need to blindly follow them and defend them.

Look at Balargues post even

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2021, 02:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Name 2 shops
[close]

You know well they do man c'mon. No need to blindly follow them and defend them.

Who’s blindly following?  I’d say you are blindly opposing.  Posters level generalities and unspecific charges against Nike. 

Name a shop that had this difficulty or give some firsthand experience of your dealings.  It might be more refreshing than the 1) usual baseless accusations that prove to be untrue and 2) people saying “come on, you know it’s true” as if being able to imagine a large company ONLY acts to harm is all the evidence one needs to prove that it’s true.

My local looks like they get treated pretty well by Nike and did quite well during the pandemic, but I know that my LA shop run by two former pros is much different than a shop in say Iowa or somewhere skateboarding might be more niche.   There might be one or two shops that have felt the squeeze particularly from Nike (which you just have to name) but I highly doubt Nike is “shutting the doors” on “hundreds” of shops now or has ever.   Or just admit you hate Nike regardless of anything positive or negative they do

El Chancho

• Rep: 6
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2021, 02:52:06 AM »
This video is not going to age well. Nike is pushing a super agressive direct to consumer strategy and plans to close most of the independent accounts and reduce distribution to a very minimum in the next years. They will keep a select few shops for marketing / storytelling and image purposes in "key cities" and move on.   

They could care less about skate shops or mom and pops sports shops that built their brand, they have been closing those accounts the last couple of years without any  explanation. So sell those Dunks while you can or save them for Ebay / StockX and maximize those profits while you can.

https://abc7ny.com/the-bronx-franks-sport-shop-sports-east-tremont/6974447/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:43:40 AM by El Chancho »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2021, 02:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Name 2 shops
[close]

[close]

Who’s blindly following?  I’d say you are blindly opposing.  Posters level generalities and unspecific charges against Nike. 

Name a shop that had this difficulty or give some firsthand experience of your dealings.  It might be more refreshing than the 1) usual baseless accusations that prove to be untrue and 2) people saying “come on, you know it’s true” as if being able to imagine a large company ONLY acts to harm is all the evidence one needs to prove that it’s true.

My local looks like they get treated pretty well by Nike and did quite well during the pandemic, but I know that my LA shop run by two former pros is much different than a shop in say Iowa or somewhere skateboarding might be more niche.   There might be one or two shops that have felt the squeeze particularly from Nike (which you just have to name) but I highly doubt Nike is “shutting the doors” on “hundreds” of shops now or has ever.   Or just admit you hate Nike regardless of anything positive or negative they do

Your right, I do hate nike.

Reasons being

Child labor
Wage exploitation
Forced labor of Uighur people
Endemic sexual harassment by Nike execs on woman as covered by NYT article
Dropping any female like a hot snot once they get pregnant.
The disgusting Hypebeast culture exemplifying everything that is wrong with modern consumerism.

I can't name any skate shop they have fucked over first hand. I'm not involved in the industry. There was a social media campaign recently for skate shops against Nike. Just look at that.

I do want to be offensive but c'mon man it's fried to think Nike has any good intentions in skateboarding whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:32:52 AM by RichardBarkley »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2021, 03:03:31 AM »
sidenote
Nike acting as a huge corporate brand doesn't really bother me. It is what it is
but releasing such a cute video is blatantly lying about them caring about shops

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2021, 04:10:20 AM »
Drop “any” female athlete?   Wasn’t the issue severely reducing the pay of some pregnant female track athletes.  I think Serena did ok herself.  Not saying it’s not a problem, but when you misrepresent facts, it doesn’t help your case.  Also, do you do anything to alleviate the suffering of third world people?   Are you volunteering time/money towards charitable causes locally or abroad?  Have you written to your representatives?   Not liking something personally doesn’t solve anyone’s problem and if you’re going to take such a moralistic stand, I’d hope you’re at least donating a few bucks each month to causes that are working towards exploited peoples’ benefits. 

Also, I question why Nike gets dinged above all for these.   Adidas and NB likely don’t have rosy histories themselves and I’m sure these “core” shoe companies aren’t stockpiling ethical behavior in their warehouses either, but they are too small for any journalist to cover and there is NO skate journalism or outlet for such an expose be hosted.   The Times isnt going to cover Podium Distribution fucking over people and Thrasher/any piece of skate media ain’t fucking with ad buyers.   And a culture of not treating women respectfully?   I’m going to guess skateboarding isn’t coming up roses in any deep dive.  We’ve seen on these boards that very few sponsors take the allegations that get made public seriously. 

No company exists except to make money.  ANY company pretending their care is a marketing move to some extent.   (Jim T is about the only one I’d give the benefit of the doubt to).   Supporting this cause and any skate thing is something they all do because it requires little effort and makes them look good.  It’s not just Nike. 

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2021, 04:36:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Looking forward to seeing what Nike has planned for Labor Day!
[close]

Holy shit. Wish I could gnar this man
Done!

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2021, 05:48:57 AM »
Drop “any” female athlete?   Wasn’t the issue severely reducing the pay of some pregnant female track athletes.  I think Serena did ok herself.  Not saying it’s not a problem, but when you misrepresent facts, it doesn’t help your case.  Also, do you do anything to alleviate the suffering of third world people?   Are you volunteering time/money towards charitable causes locally or abroad?  Have you written to your representatives?   Not liking something personally doesn’t solve anyone’s problem and if you’re going to take such a moralistic stand, I’d hope you’re at least donating a few bucks each month to causes that are working towards exploited peoples’ benefits. 

Also, I question why Nike gets dinged above all for these.   Adidas and NB likely don’t have rosy histories themselves and I’m sure these “core” shoe companies aren’t stockpiling ethical behavior in their warehouses either, but they are too small for any journalist to cover and there is NO skate journalism or outlet for such an expose be hosted.   The Times isnt going to cover Podium Distribution fucking over people and Thrasher/any piece of skate media ain’t fucking with ad buyers.   And a culture of not treating women respectfully?   I’m going to guess skateboarding isn’t coming up roses in any deep dive.  We’ve seen on these boards that very few sponsors take the allegations that get made public seriously. 

No company exists except to make money.  ANY company pretending their care is a marketing move to some extent.   (Jim T is about the only one I’d give the benefit of the doubt to).   Supporting this cause and any skate thing is something they all do because it requires little effort and makes them look good.  It’s not just Nike.

I dont know what you're arguing about. You asked me why I hate them. I told you why.

Yes other companies do some or most of those things but as sum total of bad deeds and scumbaggery. Nike is the worst by a long shot. It's fucking nike man c'mon.

Anyway. That's why I don't like them. I respect that you feel differently.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »

only for the happy few

PS: not even envious of being a slave to corporate bullshit and managing raffles for morons who don't skate

This testimony is compelling. The skateshop matters a lot to me, I think it's a really special part of skateboarding and it sucks seeing shops suffer from policies held by companies preaching "support the shop." Nike/cons not adapting to smaller shops with order sizes does render the message of this video blatantly hypocritical, but how do other big companies do it? I have a feeling if someone like Vans can adapt orders for smaller shops, Nike/cons, adidas, and others could too. I have no idea if they actually do this, I don't run a shop and I never worked in one. I know this message is a marketing tool for everyone, but do other big corpos try to back it up any more than SB does? Or are we just singling them out again?

Personally, I haven't seen small shops affected adversely in my state... even newer, smaller shops here have SB accounts and seemed to have brought in lots of new customers with the dunk hype this past year.

All that aside, the slave labor/worker's rights issue is an entirely separate can of worms than the skateshop relationship and like it's been said, no major shoe company of any kind has kept their hands clean in this regard.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2021, 07:05:34 AM »
I’m here just to be apart of the echo camber . . . . . . . . . . . . Fuck Nike!!
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2021, 07:14:24 AM »
This video is not going to age well. Nike is pushing a super agressive direct to consumer strategy and plans to close most of the independent accounts and reduce distribution to a very minimum in the next years. They will keep a select few shops for marketing / storytelling and image purposes in "key cities" and move on.   

They could care less about skate shops or mom and pops sports shops that built their brand, they have been closing those accounts the last couple of years without any  explanation. So sell those Dunks while you can or save them for Ebay / StockX and maximize those profits while you can.

https://abc7ny.com/the-bronx-franks-sport-shop-sports-east-tremont/6974447/

El Chancho know what’s up. Gonna set a reminder rn to dig this thread up in a year.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2021, 08:40:22 AM »
This testimony is compelling. The skateshop matters a lot to me, I think it's a really special part of skateboarding and it sucks seeing shops suffer from policies held by companies preaching "support the shop." Nike/cons not adapting to smaller shops with order sizes does render the message of this video blatantly hypocritical, but how do other big companies do it? I have a feeling if someone like Vans can adapt orders for smaller shops, Nike/cons, adidas, and others could too. I have no idea if they actually do this, I don't run a shop and I never worked in one. I know this message is a marketing tool for everyone, but do other big corpos try to back it up any more than SB does? Or are we just singling them out again?

Personally, I haven't seen small shops affected adversely in my state... even newer, smaller shops here have SB accounts and seemed to have brought in lots of new customers with the dunk hype this past year.

All that aside, the slave labor/worker's rights issue is an entirely separate can of worms than the skateshop relationship and like it's been said, no major shoe company of any kind has kept their hands clean in this regard.

vans is a corporate machine too BUT they do care
they have a history, they value the role played by skateshops (not faking it)
it's part of the brand strategy / values and staff have that in mind
minimums that make sense
end of season returns
supporting local events

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »
Ironically the local skate shop owner said Nike is hands down the best brand to work with. Easy to communicate with, easy access to images for social media, great b2b, lots of reps. He said so many core brands are absolutely dog shit to work with and especially when it comes to warranties.

So many times he’s requested images for social media and some idiot sends him a 2x2 jpeg with webcam quality pixels.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2021, 09:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

minimums that make sense
end of season returns
supporting local events

Hearing that Van Doren offered his RV to Pawnshop after they had the fire at their shop gave me a lot of respect for Vans.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2021, 10:27:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

minimums that make sense
end of season returns
supporting local events
[close]

Hearing that Van Doren offered his RV to Pawnshop after they had the fire at their shop gave me a lot of respect for Vans.

See, these are the kinds of things that SB could afford to do in order to really do it right, but choose to squeeze every ounce of profit out instead.. Listen, I know they want to make as much money as possible... but wouldn't it so pay off in the long run for them to do things right and expand their customer base by winning over the little guys? It seems the holdouts don't like Nike SB (mostly) bc it's being too closely controlled by corporate, which I'm sure is where the policies that can harm shops originate.

Nike makes fantastic products and has a huge following for that fact alone, and they support of a lot of skaters we all care about. But imagine a Nike SB that does these things AND operates more closely to Vans or even NB#... I mean New Balance has given those guys free reign (more or less) and people like Jason Rothmeyer are here, participating in real discussions and talking with skaters. And wouldn't you know, I reacted a lot differently to NB#'s ad campaign... and that's coming from someone who has skated SB's for years.

I really don't think Nike is hellbent on closing skate shops, but I think they're sorta blowing it by not letting the SB really stand for something more.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:21:27 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Beady

• Rep: 6
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

minimums that make sense
end of season returns
supporting local events

I recall hearing an interview with Tony at 35th, where the fiasco with Nike’s Project 58 DIY contest was discussed. The shop was facing a 6 figure lawsuit from the city for building a bowl on protected land. Tony said Vans offered to help them out but I don’t remember hearing anything about what Nike did other than disqualify their entry to the contest (that originally won).

He’s in the 58 Reasons video so their business relationship seems ok but I hope Nike helped them out with the DIY contest issue.

Either way, it was cool for Vans to step up even if you think it was for some kind of optics reason.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
its business they have to share the posts that are appealing to the sk8ing athletes

chrisinman

• Rep: -2
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2021, 12:18:38 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLeg_flldme/?igshid=nj5v4s2b2iaf

I’m not too up on skate politics but am I tripping or did they pull their account from a ton of shops a few months ago which most likely can, did, or will put them out of business?

Not to mention a direct to consumer web store, making some of their shoes nearly impossible to get, putting many shops out of business by loading them with shoes that don’t sell just to get a few pairs of the ones that do which leads to them unable to pay. Again someone else could probably put up a better argument than me but this seems like the most laughable hypocritical thing I’ve seen in a while.
[close]

Fake news that gets recycled every 2 years.

If your shop goes out of business due to the lack access for more popular Nike SB shoes, there's a good chance your shop sucked to begin with.

I have not seen a shop 'close' due to Nike SB, but uh yeah, keep fighting the good fight.

So Nike is/was at one point sending shoes that were not ordered from shops. You want to get Dunks right? You have to carry this/that. "Oh you owe us money!" Money that could have been spent to restock decks etc has funneled into trying to keep their heads above water with their Nike account, cause guess what, they depend on those dunks every time they drop. THAT is how the shops go out of business.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2021, 04:37:42 PM »
so classic wouldn't expect anything else from them