Author Topic: Nike Skate Shop Day  (Read 5246 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Nike Skate Shop Day
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2021, 05:52:49 PM »
it's not just skate shops that nike is fucking either. Last summer I was in a family owned shoe shop that's been in business for 5 generations, with 3 locations, and while they carry all sorts of shoes, had been getting the limited/coveted Nike releases since the 90s and it was a big part of their business. I was talking with the dude running it now, he's been in the game his whole life, and he explained that Nike was cutting ties with small shops for the limited releases and/or making it more difficult to attain the most popular products. Pretty lame.

Same with skate shops, and they're not just stores in fucking Idaho or whatever someone said. Even if they were only in flyover, low population locations, why is the effect of vulture capitalism any less shitty than if it were in LA or a big city? That's weak. Even if the limited releases are bringing in more money for the shops able to keep up, they've gotta toe the Nike line to keep pushing and that's lame as fuck too. Hand over the autonomy of skateboarding communities, hell ya. fuck nike
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

livin on a speyer

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »
Birdo was right.

Eric Dolphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:23 AM »
Fuck Nike, fr

Fuck Adidas too. I know the owner of a shop near me who sells adidas, says of all their shoes, adidas have the highest price (as in lowest markup from wholesale to retail price), and a lot of the time when the shoes they've ordered actually turn up, a few weeks later they're on sale at the adidas website for 30% off. Other shoe brands offer sale or return on their products if you don't sell 30% in the first 4 weeks, but not adidas.

They've tried to stock nike on a few occasions but were told that they have enough accounts and weren't interested.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2021, 01:21:01 PM »
A tale as old as time...
Is there a comprehensive list for ethically sourced skate gear? Genuinely curious.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
I'm in favor of nike

fuck it, if you have a mediocre business or brand, u will have mediocre skaters, u will not pay them, they will not make money of skateboarding while their carreers are on fire, so nothing change

only thing that change is beast insane skaters have a chance of being real professionals and make money

skateshops and "CoRe" brands need to step their game up, u dont have same amount of money as nike but u have free social media and u can have a deeper direction in terms of art work/style that "cold" brands like nike will never have

stop bitching crying and complaining pussies, nike is a reality, is just skating getting bigger, if u cant handle that, go fucking golf or whatever da fuck kids do these days and stop being a hipster!

btw, if you guys are so against nike, stop watching skaters that ride for nike.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2021, 05:51:10 PM »
I'm in favor of nike

fuck it, if you have a mediocre business or brand, u will have mediocre skaters, u will not pay them, they will not make money of skateboarding while their carreers are on fire, so nothing change

only thing that change is beast insane skaters have a chance of being real professionals and make money

skateshops and "CoRe" brands need to step their game up, u dont have same amount of money as nike but u have free social media and u can have a deeper direction in terms of art work/style that "cold" brands like nike will never have

stop bitching crying and complaining pussies, nike is a reality, is just skating getting bigger, if u cant handle that, go fucking golf or whatever da fuck kids do these days and stop being a hipster!

Redpilled af
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Nike should be embarrassed posting this after closing 100's of amazing shop doors across the states in the last few months. They don't give two fucks about local shops, they just know skateboarding is a nice way to cash in on some easy $$$.
[close]

Name 2 shops

Yea, hard to name two...

I'm in Canada so:
1)-Green Apple Skateshop (RIP) one of the best Skateshop's from Canada, let out some of the best shop videos ever, owned by McD, one of the best Canadian skaters of all time.
2) -Anti Social Skateshop (one of the best shops in the world hands down), owned by McCrank and Michelle, pretty much planted the seeds for the Vancouver skate scene over the last couple decades.
3)-Plush Edmonton (RIP) **Not sure if Plush ever had Nike, but I think they used to have it.
4)-Sk8 Skates (one of Canada's oldest Skateshop's, started in the 80's, always been skater owned)
5)-Empire (biggest shop in Canada and not very "core" but still deserve Nike over the big shitty chains that get it, they give back put on massive Canadian events and contests, Im sure you've heard of AM getting paid, etc).
6)-Outlaw Boutique, cool little skater owned shop in Montreal.
7)-The Drive Skateshop (owned by Kevin Harris former Bones Brigade member)
8)-Primary Shop
10)-Industry Shop
11)-Rumour Skateshop
12)-Rude Boys Shop
13)-NBS Skateshop (RIP)
14)-First & First Skateshop (RIP)

Every one of these shops is/was rad and have accounts with other great brands like FA, Vans, Dime etc.. Does cool stuff in their community and are owned by skaters (maybe Empire is not skater owned*, but if you're putting on massive contests and skate events, you're doing it right). Some are thriving right now, either way, Im sure they'd still enjoy to make $3000/month easily off of chunky dunks and all that other shit, and it would level the playing field between them and some massive shoe store like Footlocker.

Not to mention Converse closed 376 stores in Canada a few years back, lots of these were mom and pop shoe stores, but loads of these were skateshops, it's really hard to find Cons in Canada. It was their plans to close all these stores and put the value of their orders on Amazon.ca instead of pumping it through local stores, they can fire allllllll the sales reps and just deal with one store.

If you don't think losing these brands is a big deal to these shops, you're a fool. Sure, the good shops survive, but they're still crippled by not having these brands that Zumiez in their city is selling.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 08:27:47 PM »
Ah Canada.  I was thinking in the US, no offense.  I have no idea why shoe brands hate you guys up there and dick you all around

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »
It's similar in the smaller cities in the states Im sure. I see shops posting they've got their accounts closed, I can't even name the shop that made all the commotion recently, but there were many shops commenting on their post). Even just read through the comments on that 58 reasons to support your local skateshop post.

Nike's not gonna close a Labor or Humidity but if you look at shops that aren't massive and cool (AKA gives Nike more than they receive) , they're getting closed.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2021, 09:02:18 PM »
Okay but “Nike closes shop” is just so histrionic that it obscures the actual factors that cause these shops to close.   Even without Nike, et al’s meddling, I’m sure most skate shops in smaller areas exist on a wing a prayer.  It’s no secret that brick and mortar shops across the country aren’t faring well, particularly during the pandemic.  What I wonder, far from Nike closing shops, did they maybe give some of these shops a few years longer to live?   I’m not into fear-monger if about supposed boogeymen (satanic panic, stranger danger, child trafficking).  Its emotional response that gets in the way of figuring out how to actually identify and fix actual problems.

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »
reminder that Nike owns Converse so supporting one means you're supporting the other

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2021, 11:10:54 PM »
Okay but “Nike closes shop” is just so histrionic that it obscures the actual factors that cause these shops to close.   Even without Nike, et al’s meddling, I’m sure most skate shops in smaller areas exist on a wing a prayer.  It’s no secret that brick and mortar shops across the country aren’t faring well, particularly during the pandemic.  What I wonder, far from Nike closing shops, did they maybe give some of these shops a few years longer to live?   I’m not into fear-monger if about supposed boogeymen (satanic panic, stranger danger, child trafficking).  Its emotional response that gets in the way of figuring out how to actually identify and fix actual problems.

I guess I'll keep explaining stuff to you. "Nike closes shop" means when Nike cuts off a shop from selling their brand, not that they physically stopped that store from opening their doors. But now that Blazer guy or Dunk kid, goes to Nike.com to buy their shoes. Skateshops make most of their profit off of footwear because there's thin margins in hardgoods, so when you lose your #1 footwear brand that is spending multi millions of dollars a year on advertising and sponsorships, your shop loses a huge chunk of cash they used to pay rent. You can sell a shit ton more boards still, but it's not gonna add up to shoe sales.

It's not fear mongering, its happening. Here's an article about Nike clothing tons of wholesalers.
https://shop-eat-surf.com/2020/06/nike-moving-even-further-away-from-wholesale/

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2021, 11:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess I'll keep explaining stuff to you. "Nike closes shop" means when Nike cuts off a shop from selling their brand, not that they physically stopped that store from opening their doors. But now that Blazer guy or Dunk kid, goes to Nike.com to buy their shoes. Skateshops make most of their profit off of footwear because there's thin margins in hardgoods, so when you lose your #1 footwear brand that is spending multi millions of dollars a year on advertising and sponsorships, your shop loses a huge chunk of cash they used to pay rent. You can sell a shit ton more boards still, but it's not gonna add up to shoe sales.

It's not fear mongering, its happening. Here's an article about Nike clothing tons of wholesalers.
https://shop-eat-surf.com/2020/06/nike-moving-even-further-away-from-wholesale/

Thanks I do get it though and Nike selling their shoes online has hardly been a recent innovation.  SB has been online for at least a decade.  What I was wondering is if these stores would have survived regardless of Nike’s involvement considering the downwards trajectory of physical stores across all industries.  Canada and US seem to be fairly different to how shoe brands are approaching, so the answer for you might not be the same answer as it is down here

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2021, 01:51:51 AM »
Direct to customer is not a recent innovation
but they are going way way faster in that direction

Cut the middleman, more profit, don't care

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2021, 02:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm in favor of nike

[close]

Redpilled af

nah, just a guy from BR that saw a whole generation of skaters having to work a job aside, not being able to go to euro/NA trips because of work/study etc, or pros that had a good run and were broke after their carreers... pros that got hurt and had their careers end cuz no health deals etc

nowdays I'm seeing tiago on NB, carlos ribeiro and luan on nike, rodrigo on adidas, this is so fucking deserved, those guys worked their ass off, they deserve every dollar they get, learning how to skate in BRs streets isnt easy.

nike sucks but if you see the big picture, if you have a smaller brand that cant pay enough for pros, u should not even start your business, ULTRA fucking easy to start a business with not enough money or not enough knowledge, and then when shit goes south just blame nike LMAO

btw, we have this brand here in BR named "OUS", those guys have a shoe company for more than 10 years, NEVER complained, never said 1 word about nike, adidas etc, they just do their thing, well organized, have full lengh videos, riders with 8+ years home, good quality shoes, fair price, etc.

so I guess this conversation is very needed, nike isnt JASON in a horror movie trying to kill the skate culture, if you think like that you have no idea wtfs going on, its ALWAYS easier to blame a big corp brand for your incompentence or cry conspiracy!

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2021, 02:50:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm in favor of nike

[close]

Redpilled af
[close]

nah, just a guy from BR that saw a whole generation of skaters having to work a job aside, not being able to go to euro/NA trips because of work/study etc, or pros that had a good run and were broke after their carreers... pros that got hurt and had their careers end cuz no health deals etc

nowdays I'm seeing tiago on NB, carlos ribeiro and luan on nike, rodrigo on adidas, this is so fucking deserved, those guys worked their ass off, they deserve every dollar they get, learning how to skate in BRs streets isnt easy.

nike sucks but if you see the big picture, if you have a smaller brand that cant pay enough for pros, u should not even start your business, ULTRA fucking easy to start a business with not enough money or not enough knowledge, and then when shit goes south just blame nike LMAO

btw, we have this brand here in BR named "OUS", those guys have a shoe company for more than 10 years, NEVER complained, never said 1 word about nike, adidas etc, they just do their thing, well organized, have full lengh videos, riders with 8+ years home, good quality shoes, fair price, etc.

so I guess this conversation is very needed, nike isnt JASON in a horror movie trying to kill the skate culture, if you think like that you have no idea wtfs going on, its ALWAYS easier to blame a big corp brand for your incompentence or cry conspiracy!

I said this exact thing in this very thread and others, and I also acknowledged that it's awesome that nike (and other big companies) can hook up so many riders we love and know deserve it.

All we are saying here is that if Nike wants to take it even further and support community better than they already do, they could alter some business pracfices to make it easier on brick and mortar shops to carry their stuff.

It is unfortunate that physical shops are going by the wayside (in various industries), direct to consumer is the way of the world. But it is possible to lament something and understand it. I think it's a very fair question to ask if Nike did help some shops extend their lifespan a few years overall... but it begs the question: how much longer could this shops have hung on if they were able to deal with orders/returns in a way that was flexible and worked for them? Really, I don't think Nikebis maliciously closing shops to sabotage the culture... but it's absolutely true that they'll financially benefit from the loss os skateshops, and Nike execs aren't dumb... they know this.

It would just be cool if Nike put its money where its mouth is and step in to do more to work with shops if they are going to claim they care. I know that's asking a lot in 2021, but who can argue that it wouldn't be a good/entirely possible thing for them to do?

Edit: I am so interested in advocating for shops themselves because I think they have the potential to serve as HQ for a lot of positive change in their skate/greater communities. I don't just wanna support small businesses or ensure there's a place for people to gather and talk shit, that's all great... but the people in a skateshop also have the knowledge, expertise, and dedication to organize events/host art shows/build spots what have you... I sincerely believe that Nike and other corps with skate divisions COULD have a bigger hand in supporting these efforts by switching some policies up, and if they did I'd respect them a lot more when they released something like the video that started this topic.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:22:14 AM by Urtripping »

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »
You MF's are trippin if you don't see the damage Nike's been doing to the skate industry.

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »
Didn't see Alex O in the Nike insta vid. Too coo?

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2021, 01:14:43 PM »
if Nike didn't make a peep about skate shop day there would be a thread about how nike doesn't care about skate shops. idk there may be good reasons to prefer another brand over nike, but ultimately it seems like a pretty unimportant debate considering there's no ethical consumption under capitalism. I will say the performance of their shoes is more fitting for a utopia than any other brand, IMO.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2021, 03:09:09 PM »
It really isn't important, they're not going anywhere anyway. I just wish they were cooler, cause they could be :'(

Edit: don't mean to downplay the struggle of the skateshop by saying it's not an important discussion, but nike gonna nike (and you can substitute any large company's name in, they're just bigger than skating)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:23:39 PM by Urtripping »

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2021, 05:12:15 AM »
I have spoken to a very small shop that carried Nike, Vans, CONS, and the little guys about this. In his words, Nike doesn't close shops, but if you are not smart about it, you can close your shop because of Nike. They give you an insane amount of credit each season and it is super easy to get carried away, over order and essentially screw yourself over. He said if you play it smart you shouldn't have an issue.