Author Topic: switch bs5050  (Read 986 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
switch bs5050
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:24:24 PM »
Ive been trying them for a minute ever since getting switch Ollies kinda down (still turn frontside sometimes when I pop them high and my Backfoot kinda sometimes hangs above the board and looks sus)

but yeah the main issue I have is how do I approach the ledge? I first tried to roll up to the ledge parallel but that didnt work at all so I came at a bit of an angle and it worked somewhat (not consistent pop since I have to time it really precisely). I heard keeping feet close and keeping shoulders parallel to the ledge is key but idk im having trouble just locking in and popping out

how do I Make this trick less awkward/ more consistent?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: switch bs5050
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:28:22 PM »
Double copying and pasting what I said to someone else in a different thread a while ago:

Copy and pasting my post from the basic ass tricks that piss you off thread:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
looking for advice on getting switch back 5050s...sw front 5050 is one of go to tricks but I have mental block with getting into backside...I just can't get the back foot to lock in.
[close]

Roll up at a decent angle, put your front foot slightly further down than you normally would. When you're rolling up and popping you can look at the ledge/the direction you're going and have your shoulders slightly open.

As soon as you pop, turn your shoulders backside so that they are parallel with the ledge, to help with this you can try to look at your back foot immediately after you pop. I find that helps me trick my body into closing off my shoulders better and it also helps line up the board with the ledge. This will be scary af at first because you'll feel really blind to everything but once you get used to it it starts to feel kinda natural.

Also make sure you pop a straight, if not slightly backside, ollie and don't subconsciously turn it frontside at all to get into willy/boardslide/feeble.

Practicing switch ollies parallel (or at a slight angle) backside up a curb can also help you get the feeling. Its tricky but if your only problem is getting one of your trucks to lock in you're pretty close and definitely got it once you get your shoulders working correctly and aim your trucks a little bit more.
[close]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:31:35 PM »
I can switch backside slappy...but spent half an hour trying to switch back 50-50 a curb.....it sucks...

My only take away is think switch back 180, try to forget you even have a front foot.....it's all back foot.  Pop and guide with back foot....to me this is a super scary trick...

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:11:22 PM »
I can switch backside slappy...but spent half an hour trying to switch back 50-50 a curb.....it sucks...

My only take away is think switch back 180, try to forget you even have a front foot.....it's all back foot.  Pop and guide with back foot....to me this is a super scary trick...

Most of the commitment is in the back foot, solid pop and then lift it up. I do find the front foot useful too though, I like to imagine that I'm not sliding straight up but kind of using it to help turn my board as I do the backside rotation

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:45:43 PM »
For me, the front foot guides it on after the back foot pop, but you gotta get good pop and kind of shifty and let the front foot guide.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
This is one I'm working through as well, and I've just recently been able to do them on stuff above curb height. I don't switch ollie backwards, I switch ollie the direction I'm riding and slightly turn switch backside, so when I approach the ledge at an angle I can make it on top. I already rocket my switch ollies so landing with the back truck first has worked for me. This is one of those tricks that I don't think there's much of a specific technique to, I learned it by trying it over and over again, doing a bunch of switch backside willies. Learning this trick feels a lot like how it felt to learn normal backside 5050s, it's the same sort of thing where with your ollies becoming more confident and precise, your ability at the trick will improve. I agree with J soy that switch backside slappies are easier/ more comfortable, I learned those pretty quickly along with switch frontside slappies after I got normal frontside and backside slappies down and had thoroughly understood the mechanics of them.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »
Read a bunch of these tips and scratched away with this. Will be working on them more tonight. Thanks to everyone in this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2J8eXhccxE

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 04:04:12 PM »
^fuck yea!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
Read a bunch of these tips and scratched away with this. Will be working on them more tonight. Thanks to everyone in this thread.

It counts baby!

My BS tricks are crap, so is my switch game. Can't imagine doing switch BS tricks in this lifetime.

(but maybe 2021 will be my year of switch....)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 06:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It counts baby!

My BS tricks are crap, so is my switch game. Can't imagine doing switch BS tricks in this lifetime.

(but maybe 2021 will be my year of switch....)
Get it! Definitely don't have it comfortable yet but my two cents for this one is to go at a slight angle and don't think about the back shifty until you're in the air. It's the only way I could not run into the ledge before popping. It's a weird one!

Drucksache

• Rep: -6
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 06:05:46 AM »
Try to practice jumping on small curbs into a sw backside 5050-stall coming from a 90° angle.
Then lower the angle step by step.
That will teach you how to control your backside rotation and how to time the trick.
Also try to lean a bit to the inside and not to much onto the curb otherwise you will have trouble getting out of it properly.

Good luck!

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 04:37:31 AM »
So I’m terrible at these but I did have them for a quick sec a few years ago. The thing that helped me the most was looking straight down at my back foot right as I popped. It’s super weird and takes a bit to get used to doing, but it helps keep your shoulders from opening up. My biggest issue is/was landing in feeble.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 10:04:36 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CO4Dcz2lciK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Got one more today. Head over back foot (left for me) seemed to do well for keeping shoulders from opening up frontside.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
Work on getting in to switch back feeble then you just have to manage your front shoulder. For me to switch back feeble came really easily and the 50 was actually harder.