Author Topic: has anyone here been homeless before?  (Read 2870 times)

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
has anyone here been homeless before?
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »
im curious how you got homeless, where you stayed, how it was, and encounters you had that were good or bad!

mushroom slice

Re: has anyone here been homeless before?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:05:40 AM »
Yes
I was a bit of a slut at the time so I had a few women that would let me stay over.
and when that didn’t happen I slept in parks. I used what little money I had to buy a 24 hour fitness membership and took showers once a week at the gym. It wasn’t the happiest part of my life but I’m retrospect it wasn’t that bad. I spent a lot of time walking around all night and sleeping in the day.

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
Was homeless on and off for a couple years in my early 20s. Always had a place to crash tho, friends couches and floors, so never had to sleep outside thankfully, except for maybe one night. Had little to no cash at all in those couple years. Had an EBT card at the time so I just used that to get food.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
i've definitely flirted with it during a couple of especially hectic points in my life, but i never have had to sleep outside out of necessity or gone too hungry...

...which says more about the incredible and priceless friends that i've been blessed to have in my life, than any capacities or aptitudes i've possessed--i was a thoughtless and selfish fucker at points as a young man...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
I was homeless but living out of a car for a month back in 1998ish. My now ex-wife and I separated so was down and out.

I've shampooed my hair in a waffle house bathroom.

Eventually one of my friends moved out and I took his spot in his apartment.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
Part of my therapy is to let thing’s go and forgive so here’s a brief rundown on my experiences with homelessness.

I was neglected by my dad as he had 10+ kid’s by the time he got around to me it was too late. So I’m 16 and I’ve been to over 12+ schools and had maybe a handful of friends I’ve met and palled around with.

My dad wasn’t the kindest person so I got the boot when I was 16 much like JT & Stevie Williams I went out west to seek my fortune in skating world 96’ to 99’  San Francisco was my spot for a while and it was good for me. I lived all over East bay Oakland Berkeley Richmond.

Spent my 20’s and early 30’s on the streets now I have seen some shit that’d turn a tough guy go green. Murder suicides sketchy robberies all types of violence and shit.

Now it’s not all been bad went to Europe Scandinavia and Carpathian Mountains and jungles in Brazil. Met all kinds of people and had fun.
Dueces Bitch's

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 01:15:24 PM »
2013, got kicked out form the rehab and spent some time on a dude's couch. It fucking sucked.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 02:58:31 PM »
Never homeless, but when chasing after my degree, I slept on sofas, in extra rooms, and all that. I leaned pretty hard on a few friends.

However, I burned through a friendship during that time. I overstayed at his place and I haven't really spoken to the dude since I stayed in his extra/storage room for too long.

Orwell was homeless in London and near homeless in Paris... it is a pretty amazing story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Out_in_Paris_and_London
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:09:11 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »
Most of my life.

I did a semester of college outside in winter.

Shelters are for families. I'm core homeless/couch surfing
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
I'm technically homeless rn
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »

This is me. Living the dream. Completely sideways but I'm not outside.
(A)pl(E)

chicken boner

• Rep: -2
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
i served a few tours of duty. a combination of no adult skills, not much parental guidance and a romanticization of bukowski, jack london, my own private idaho and lots of other references from books nobody would get.
are you doing a survey or looking for tips?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »
I spent a lot of my twenties “in between homes”. Luckily had friends with couches and girls who’d let me sleep with them and shower.  Only had to sleep outside a few times and nothing sketchy ever happened.

Also. When I was 24(?) I hitch hiked and hopped trains for about six months. Slept in a tent on the side of the highway, behind the maintenance shed at a high school football field, and in a bunch of random people’s houses and backyards. Somehow ended up in a really strange church commune that was in a renovated warehouse in OKC.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
I only had to live out of my car for a few months after I got kicked out of my grandmothers place in NC when I was 21. I spent the days skating and drinking beer/smoking tobacco. This chick Amy was really cool about getting me gas, food, and beer all the time but I couldn't stay at her place because she had a boyfriend.

I've been blessed otherwise to have had people/families take me in at various points from 25-30 when I would otherwise have had to continually figure some quick shit out or sleep in the forest every night. But that's really just the traveling life and it's not anything like being destitute homeless and what not.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

cky enthusiast

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »
yeah. ran away from home as a teenager and spent a lot of my late teens thru mid 20’s homeless at least part of the year in a few major cities.

i always had work so i can’t complain too much. shit happens.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:22 PM »
Many times. I can't commit to work because of some health problems so had to learn to squat houses when I couldn't afford rent. Spent many nights outside too. I learnt how to be frugal throughout the whole ordeal and I wouldn't have a chunk of savings if I didnt go through it all so I think I can make peace with it now.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 07:21:41 PM »
For a few months when I was around 18 just one of those things, got kicked out of my mum’s place
I mean I was totally blowing it it’s not like I didn’t have it coming but I got this tent and had it in a park sort of hidden away

I don’t remember all of it anymore but I remember being bored a lot, sometimes I would skate or go to mate’s places during the day. Sometimes would stay on mate’s couches but I think I was always not wanting to push my luck. I remember getting lonely sometimes too. It was just drugs really

I reckon I was lucky for a few things I mean I never saw weirdos or anything around my tent, I don’t think anyone apart from mates knew I was there Also I was not in the city more in the suburbs so less people anyway. Also I was on the dole so I got money in my bank every two weeks

I don’t remember exactly what caused it but I ended up just having a gut full of my situation and over like, three doles I saved up money to get a room in a share house and just sorta went from there

I remember running socks until they were cardboard
I threw all my clothes away when I left the tent
I remember having a real good wash right before I left and when I was washing the shampoo out of my hair the water went this red colour I thought it was old blood for a second but it was just dirt

But yeah looking back and especially comparing it to some of the stuff I’ve seen in town I reckon I was fairly fortunate
listen to cosmic psychos

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 10:27:21 PM »
I once got to a hotel at like 11:30am only to find check-in time to be 3:00pm. It was no Swiss picnic, I can tell you that.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 11:05:33 PM »
Technically I wasn't homeless but some would say so. When I was 20, I lived out of my car for a few months. I had two jobs and was going to college, so I made enough money to get by but had no savings to get a place. I had been renting a room from a friend's Mom and she had some sort of midlife crisis and was going through a rough time. She flipped on me once and asked me to move out. I swear I did not do anything to provoke it but she did apologize some time after and told me she got professional help. Anyway, I would hang out in the library during and after classes as long as I could. I worked as many shifts at my jobs as I could. This was so I wouldn't have to worry about where I would need to sleep at night and what not. I would also nap in my car before and after school. I'd just park as far as possible from crowded areas. I wasn't doing anything suspicious so security never said anything. This went on for about two months then friends realized what I was doing and offered me their places to crash at. I can still remember my schedule, Mondays and Tuesday's at one friends house, Wednesday and Thursdays at another, then Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's at my Uncle's apartment. I was so lucky. Neither my friends or Uncle accepted any money from me. I would buy them beer and food though. I was able to save enough money during this time to be able to rent a room soon after from my uncle who had his spare bedroom. I even saved up enough to finish paying for my car. It was a humbling experience yet I don't wish it on anyone. I'll never forget the look on people's faces who would see me between classes while I brushed my teeth or got ready for work and or class from the trunk of my car. I'm sure there's worse cases out there but this was mine.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 11:07:58 PM »
I was homeless but living out of a car for a month back in 1998ish. My now ex-wife and I separated so was down and out.

Eventually one of my friends moved out and I took his spot in his apartment.

Not the worst thing to happen in a Waffle House bathroom.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 11:40:24 PM »
Jobs? NEVER!!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 11:41:01 PM »

Sounds like a line in a Sheryl Crow song
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 05:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help it. I was thinking more like Alanis Morissette.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 06:09:58 AM »
i lived in a van once too, in SF by soma park. idk if that “counts” or whatever but it was sick actually minus the crazy bum scene

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 06:39:42 AM »
funny to see SF and the bay area come up a few times in this thread--i grew up in an around Detroit, but the times when i've been the closest to being out on the street and going hungry have been both of the periods of my life when i lived in SF...first time through '97 and '98...halfheartedly chasing some janky ass dream one might say...

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »
Mine was self inflicted, out of hesitance to sign a lease solo, in a rapidly gentrifying city (PDX) after a relationship fizzled. First was in a tent on the patio of an apt I lived in, but had subletted my room for the summer. The tent was suppose to be a few weeks max and I wasn't paying patio rent, but turned to 2.5 months, so then I bought a car when the lease ended and lived outta that for another 2.5-3 months. I had a storage locker near one of my 2 jobs, which made the whole thing funnier. Saw folks who were on the same program, lived outside or elsewhere at night and just kicked it in a living room sorta thing they had in a self-storage unit. I found the whole experience pretty funny and liberating but was definitely glad when it ended. 
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 10:30:55 AM »
I managed to keep an apartment or room from 2004-2016.

In the end I tore my acl and was used by 3 kids or more while I was gone.

Tann Eddy and that fucking asshole girl who worked at max hesh who was NOT supposed to be there at all killed the house.

I fucking hate them. I have been civil with the fucking bitch who worked at the skate shop but only because she's a stranger and I can't deal with her flexing her privilege.

I hope all Three of them die a horrendous death after reading this post.

Fuck you. I still haven't been able to replace all the shit I lost in this deal

FUCK YOU

Her name is Stephanie.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:38:45 AM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

chicken boner

• Rep: -2
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »
I managed to keep an apartment or room from 2004-2016.

In the end I tore my acl and was used by 3 kids or more while I was gone.

Tann Eddy and that fucking asshole girl who worked at max hesh who was NOT supposed to be there at all killed the house.

I fucking hate them. I have been civil with the fucking bitch who worked at the skate shop but only because she's a stranger and I can't deal with her flexing her privilege.

I hope all Three of them die a horrendous death after reading this post.

Fuck you. I still haven't been able to replace all the shit I lost in this deal

FUCK YOU

Her name is Stephanie.
how'd they get your place? sublet to them?
assflea carried on w/ his same old stuff
w/ stephanie like a whammy he pressed his luck

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 02:50:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help it. I was thinking more like Alanis Morissette.
I wore a ball cap going in and coming out. It's not like you can go in with a bath towel. I had to to be quick and dried my head sufficiently with paper towels. My hair smelled like vomit from not being washed in a few days all while skateboarding almost daily.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I wore a ball cap going in and coming out. It's not like you can go in with a bath towel. I had to to be quick and dried my head sufficiently with paper towels. My hair smelled like vomit from not being washed in a few days all while skateboarding almost daily.
Definitely took some bird baths and/or brushed my teeth in restaurant bathrooms while hitch hiking. Got a lot of strange looks