Author Topic: Cairo Foster of (working for) Adidas  (Read 7039 times)

michael scarn

Cairo Foster of (working for) Adidas
« on: February 20, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »
on mob.

Is there anything to unpack here? I wonder if this has to do with adidas cutting out shops.
I find it hard to believe mob is offering more money, but i could be wrong.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLfrbvElDbJ/?igshid=kyilsh0i87xh
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:58:25 PM by michael scarn »

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Cairo Foster of (working for) Adidas
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 01:07:27 PM »
I guess I was kinda wondering the same thing. Seems like something is afoot (lol) with big shoe.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
Cairo's first executive decision : this is now the only design available

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:19:46 PM »
Pretty sure he was living in Portland while working for adidas. Maybe he was looking to move back down to California and couldn’t do that with adidas. Not sure if he has kids or not, but maybe he’s planning to and wants to be closer to family.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

GreggPopovich

• Rep: -44
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
If I could link podcasts I would, but Ric Bucher’a new episode has an expert in athletic marketing who works directly with adidas and Nike, and he spills all the fucking details on big shoe and what’s too come, and it’s not pretty.

Essentially Nike hired a new CEO from e-commerce during Covid and he’s shaken up the whole industry. He essentially doesn’t look at Nike the same as how the previous CEOs, he views it as a business and e-commerce guy. What Nike has realized is that in terms of ROI, that skater’s and athletes in general do jack shit for them, and the only way they actually make money is through visibility. Like unless your a dude like LeBron or KD, u essentially dont make jack shit for these companies since your visibility as an influencer isn’t great enough, since Even LeBron and KD in terms of shoe sales are negative ROIs.

I highly highly highly recommend the podcast. It was prolly the most informative thing I’ve seen on the current state of the shoe industry from an athletic sponsorship perspective I’ve seen in literal years for those guys.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:11:27 PM by GreggPopovich »

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:31:18 PM »
That is 100% facts.

GreggPopovich

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »
I think this will enable the recreation of the small skate shoe game.

These idiots are about to set themselves up for a massacre if people throw enough investment money into the market rn. Like rn is the time to invest heavy in starting a new shoe brand. If any skaters weren’t absolute idiots, they would do this. I would honestly be shocked if Dill and TJ Didn’t do something like this if they had any business acumen whatsoever and be highly fucking successful.

I guarantee this is going to be the strategy of NBA players going forward instead of dealing with Nike and Adidas. especially since those 2 guys could get collabs with supreme, and if supreme wanted to they could do exclusive collabs only with their riders and monopolize the shoe market. It’s really just a matter of time.

E-commerce and Covid will rapidly change our industry in numerous ways, and this is only the beginning.

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »
Vans will be the apex. They sort of already are in skateboarding.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »
If I could link podcasts I would, but Ric Bucher’a new episode has an expert in athletic marketing who works directly with adidas and Nike, and he spills all the fucking details on big shoe and what’s too come, and it’s not pretty.

Essentially Nike hired a new CEO from e-commerce during Covid and he’s shaken up the whole industry. He essentially doesn’t look at Nike the same as how the previous CEOs, he views it as a business and e-commerce guy. What Nike has realized is that in terms of ROI, that skater’s and athletes in general do jack shit for them, and the only way they actually make money is through visibility. Like unless your a dude like LeBron or KD, u essentially dont make jack shit for these companies since your visibility as an influencer isn’t great enough, since Even LeBron and KD in terms of shoe sales are negative ROIs.

I highly highly highly recommend the podcast. It was prolly the most informative thing I’ve seen on the current state of the shoe industry from an athletic sponsorship perspective I’ve seen in literal years for those guys.

but did they talk about where Kader will end up dude

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
he views it as a business

nike of philanthropy, on business and co

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »
Hopefully he does a better job doing background checks before running ads like this.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 04:16:48 PM »
I can't help but think one of the right ways to leave the pro industry is to get a "normal" job in the industry. Good fortune Cairo

GreggPopovich

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I should have said their CEO is optimizing around return on investment, not on brand identity and image. Historically since Jordan the notion has always been find the next Jordan regardless of the sport since theoretically it creates money by bolstering the brand identity/image therefore in turn selling more product. What the new CEO realizes is the average consumer doesn’t give a fuck it such and such have a signature shoe or is sponsored by us, they give a shit about the product in modern e-commerce/shoe game with StockX. This should be rather intuitive if u spend any money on sneakers. Like I buy an expensive pair of Jordans cuz they look dope, not cuz they are Michael Jordan, even tho that’s some added coolness as well I guess. Like before Nike wanted to be viewed as the brand where the best athletes go, they are moving away from this model, and adidas is quickly following suit.

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 04:26:45 PM »

The podcast can be played here: https://play.acast.com/s/f66edc52-c9ac-4e17-bf90-6f1121579b75/29e01d09-b82a-4259-b69d-937d86ce3d0f

Episode is "How and Why Signature Shoes for NBA Stars May Soon Be a Thing of the Past" by Bucher and Friends. 10/17/2020. You can also listen wherever you usually listen to podcasts.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »
ah cairo left adidas bc nike got a new ecommerce guy. classic industry bs man got it good looks bro

free max b
FREE MAX B

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
ah cairo left adidas bc nike got a new ecom njmerce guy. classic industry bs man got it good looks bro

free max b

Lol

What are you on about you dunce.

He never said they are related.

People can talk about two things at once.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
dog all you do is comment on shit after me to try and get my attention. youre corny.

hop off already, hit ignore and go about your life bozo. you add nothing to this shit and idk you from the rest of these kids. buzz off lil buddy.

free max b
FREE MAX B

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »
See a big paragraph up there but not alot happening at Adidas for just a working pro. .sorry bout it

Nhs on the other hand is different

I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 06:20:32 PM »
I ride Emerica but I haven't really tried newer Adidas since they made demo Adidas skateboarding Stan Smiths, I also rode the Snoop Gonz toecap ones. .and I might try some Adv stuff out but don't expect me to brand out
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 06:32:33 PM »
*time travels to 2031*

WTF why is everyone wearing Genetic shoes?

conqueso

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:46 PM »
*time travels to 2031*

WTF why is everyone wearing Genetic shoes?

the pat channita effect

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 06:52:53 PM »
I don’t think Cairo even worked on the SB side of Adidas.  He talks about doing projects with pop stars like Beyoncé.  It seems a downgrade to go from adidas to Mob team manager, but adidas could have also not given him a new contract

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2021, 07:03:41 PM »
Imo, Cairo is a legend and I back him on whatever tf he does at this point. 
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2021, 07:14:45 PM »
Brand manager of Popwar  8)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:48 AM »
These idiots are about to set themselves up for a massacre if people throw enough investment money into the market rn. Like rn is the time to invest heavy in starting a new shoe brand. If any skaters weren’t absolute idiots, they would do this. I would honestly be shocked if Dill and TJ Didn’t do something like this if they had any business acumen whatsoever and be highly fucking successful.

Except the shoe game is high risk and can potentially ruin a company financially. Lakai and HUF are owned by a conglomerate (TSI - http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/04/16/keith-hufnagel-future-huf/), a moldy shipment of Fallen shoes, warehouse fire and financial crisis of 2008 brought Black Box to it's knees. I'm all for skater own brands but big corporations have the money and holding power outlast the smaller brands.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 01:25:25 AM »
isn't Kelly mOb tm?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 02:02:38 AM »
isn't Kelly mOb tm?

I think Cairo is going to be brand manager which I guess is a different position

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 02:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
isn't Kelly mOb tm?
[close]

I think Cairo is going to be of brand manager which I guess is a different position

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 02:19:21 AM »
Brand manager of Popwar  8)
if i could come up on a popwar board that wouldnt cost an arm and a leg, i would be soooooooo happy

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 02:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I should have said their CEO is optimizing around return on investment, not on brand identity and image. Historically since Jordan the notion has always been find the next Jordan regardless of the sport since theoretically it creates money by bolstering the brand identity/image therefore in turn selling more product. What the new CEO realizes is the average consumer doesn’t give a fuck it such and such have a signature shoe or is sponsored by us, they give a shit about the product in modern e-commerce/shoe game with StockX. This should be rather intuitive if u spend any money on sneakers. Like I buy an expensive pair of Jordans cuz they look dope, not cuz they are Michael Jordan, even tho that’s some added coolness as well I guess. Like before Nike wanted to be viewed as the brand where the best athletes go, they are moving away from this model, and adidas is quickly following suit.
That's wrong. Your brain think they look dope because it has history behind it, and because it has been promoted during years and years by people you look up to, not exclusively by the design per se. That's why brands sponsor people to represent them. If the design was the unique reason people buy products, trends wouldn't change so fast,  and all the advertising would be focused on the product characteristics, not on the athletes, brand values, etc. Look at car advertisings, they almost don't talk about tech specifications anymore, they just talk about how ecofriendly the engine is and how nice it is to drive it, zero details on the rest of the specs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:43:16 AM by Turtle Boy »