Author Topic: Cairo Foster of (working for) Adidas  (Read 7042 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: Cairo Foster of (working for) Adidas
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 02:50:17 AM »
Also, aren’t modern/younger sports fans (particularly in China) much more interesting in being fans of an athlete than any specific team?  Wherever Durant, James, etc ends up will be who they support

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 04:34:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Brand manager of Popwar  8)
[close]
if i could come up on a popwar board that wouldnt cost an arm and a leg, i would be soooooooo happy

Where does everyone find these old boards ? Is there a site/group for it or is it just putting in the hours on ebay?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 04:38:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
if i could come up on a popwar board that wouldnt cost an arm and a leg, i would be soooooooo happy
[close]

Where does everyone find these old boards ? Is there a site/group for it or is it just putting in the hours on ebay?

Don’t think it takes hours on eBay.  You can set search notifications that’ll email you if something is listed

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 04:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Don’t think it takes hours on eBay.  You can set search notifications that’ll email you if something is listed

Ah I see.

Interesting. That will keep me entertained for the evening.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 05:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
If I could link podcasts I would, but Ric Bucher’a new episode has an expert in athletic marketing who works directly with adidas and Nike, and he spills all the fucking details on big shoe and what’s too come, and it’s not pretty.

Essentially Nike hired a new CEO from e-commerce during Covid and he’s shaken up the whole industry. He essentially doesn’t look at Nike the same as how the previous CEOs, he views it as a business and e-commerce guy. What Nike has realized is that in terms of ROI, that skater’s and athletes in general do jack shit for them, and the only way they actually make money is through visibility. Like unless your a dude like LeBron or KD, u essentially dont make jack shit for these companies since your visibility as an influencer isn’t great enough, since Even LeBron and KD in terms of shoe sales are negative ROIs.

I highly highly highly recommend the podcast. It was prolly the most informative thing I’ve seen on the current state of the shoe industry from an athletic sponsorship perspective I’ve seen in literal years for those guys.
[close]

The podcast can be played here: https://play.acast.com/s/f66edc52-c9ac-4e17-bf90-6f1121579b75/29e01d09-b82a-4259-b69d-937d86ce3d0f

Episode is "How and Why Signature Shoes for NBA Stars May Soon Be a Thing of the Past" by Bucher and Friends. 10/17/2020. You can also listen wherever you usually listen to podcasts.

Thank you, I just listened to it, very interesting. If this turns out true for skating as well, Pontus timing with Last Resort wasnt that bad after all.

As for Cairo:

Imo, Cairo is a legend and I back him on whatever tf he does at this point. 

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 07:27:38 AM »
Expand Quote
isn't Kelly mOb tm?
[close]

I think Cairo is going to be brand manager which I guess is a different position

Probably gonna be doing similar stuff as Cannon does for Santa Cruz.

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2021, 07:37:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
isn't Kelly mOb tm?
[close]

I think Cairo is going to be brand manager which I guess is a different position
[close]

Cairo will be filming unboxing videos for mob grip?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2021, 07:47:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
isn't Kelly mOb tm?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Cairo will be filming unboxing videos for mob grip?

haha, if he is doing similar to Cannon, hopefully itll be something way coo...

nvm that seems mean

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

EvaporatedMilk

• Rep: -15
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2021, 08:40:38 AM »
isn't Kelly mOb tm?

how many jobs this man have?

GreggPopovich

• Rep: -44
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2021, 08:43:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
he views it as a business
[close]

nike of philanthropy, on business and co
[close]

I should have said their CEO is optimizing around return on investment, not on brand identity and image. Historically since Jordan the notion has always been find the next Jordan regardless of the sport since theoretically it creates money by bolstering the brand identity/image therefore in turn selling more product. What the new CEO realizes is the average consumer doesn’t give a fuck it such and such have a signature shoe or is sponsored by us, they give a shit about the product in modern e-commerce/shoe game with StockX. This should be rather intuitive if u spend any money on sneakers. Like I buy an expensive pair of Jordans cuz they look dope, not cuz they are Michael Jordan, even tho that’s some added coolness as well I guess. Like before Nike wanted to be viewed as the brand where the best athletes go, they are moving away from this model, and adidas is quickly following suit.
[close]
That's wrong. Your brain think they look dope because it has history behind it, and because it has been promoted during years and years by people you look up to, not exclusively by the design per se. That's why brands sponsor people to represent them. If the design was the unique reason people buy products, trends wouldn't change so fast,  and all the advertising would be focused on the product characteristics, not on the athletes, brand values, etc. Look at car advertisings, they almost don't talk about tech specifications anymore, they just talk about how ecofriendly the engine is and how nice it is to drive it, zero details on the rest of the specs.

I once spent two hours in a blackjack game with multiple long islands in Vegas once. There was a cat their that I ended up chatting it up with who was like the marketing director behind Ford or Chevy or some shit in North America. We talked about shit for hours, and I remember walking away thinking of how Ford markets to different regions of America. Like if u spend a few days on cable television in different regions of the United States u can clearly see image differences. Like in the South when Ford advertises shit they have the like “Built Ford Tough” shit and show like Ford trucks just blazing over like gravel and shit. Where as when u go to Cali, they like show hybrid SUVs, and slogans like the “utility in your life”. It’s something instantly noticeable once u start paying attention.

I agree to a degree that the consumer gets influenced in subtle ways that are extremely subtle, but I think when it comes to shoes that this conversation gets different. With cars, most people can only afford one, so it’s easy to have smooth brained advertising like that, and expect good results. Shoes on the other hand, like boards, people will go through tons in their life even if they don’t have a collection. Like the consumer understands the product at a mass level much better in the case of shoes or a skateboard, so that fits an e-commerce profile better than say cars. The car industry was a good point to use to show how I think your reasoning holds in a traditional manufacturing sense. Like I think In shoes athletes can have two impacts. One, the athlete is so fucking great like Jordan that u get an impact like that, or two originally that athlete creates the impact. I would argue that with shoes it’s the latter. The consumer grows in life, considering people buy shoes from toddler to death, that reasoning choosing in shoes changes drastically.

As I’ve aged I only care about the materials and aesthetics as I feel most people do. So why do I want to pay more for a product that I can’t customize and get within days? Like when they plug these athletes they need to develop shoes for these guys, and they have to market them, etc. and the shoes end up being more money, when they could have spent the money creating a manufacturing process that scales superstars(adidas) with different variations at a high throughput rate? Like it’s a no brainer from a customization and scalability perspective. Shits just business homie, and that old school thinking is how this whole market has thought for a long time, but I genuinely don’t think the modern consumer fits that narrative anymore, not since Jordan.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »
Was Cairo Foster Uyghur slave working for Adidas!?
9/11 was a national tragedy

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
Does this mean I can bust my Louie Barletta Duff’s out the closet now?
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I should have said their CEO is optimizing around return on investment, not on brand identity and image. Historically since Jordan the notion has always been find the next Jordan regardless of the sport since theoretically it creates money by bolstering the brand identity/image therefore in turn selling more product. What the new CEO realizes is the average consumer doesn’t give a fuck it such and such have a signature shoe or is sponsored by us, they give a shit about the product in modern e-commerce/shoe game with StockX. This should be rather intuitive if u spend any money on sneakers. Like I buy an expensive pair of Jordans cuz they look dope, not cuz they are Michael Jordan, even tho that’s some added coolness as well I guess. Like before Nike wanted to be viewed as the brand where the best athletes go, they are moving away from this model, and adidas is quickly following suit.
[close]
That's wrong. Your brain think they look dope because it has history behind it, and because it has been promoted during years and years by people you look up to, not exclusively by the design per se. That's why brands sponsor people to represent them. If the design was the unique reason people buy products, trends wouldn't change so fast,  and all the advertising would be focused on the product characteristics, not on the athletes, brand values, etc. Look at car advertisings, they almost don't talk about tech specifications anymore, they just talk about how ecofriendly the engine is and how nice it is to drive it, zero details on the rest of the specs.
[close]

I once spent two hours in a blackjack game with multiple long islands in Vegas once. There was a cat their that I ended up chatting it up with who was like the marketing director behind Ford or Chevy or some shit in North America. We talked about shit for hours, and I remember walking away thinking of how Ford markets to different regions of America. Like if u spend a few days on cable television in different regions of the United States u can clearly see image differences. Like in the South when Ford advertises shit they have the like “Built Ford Tough” shit and show like Ford trucks just blazing over like gravel and shit. Where as when u go to Cali, they like show hybrid SUVs, and slogans like the “utility in your life”. It’s something instantly noticeable once u start paying attention.

I agree to a degree that the consumer gets influenced in subtle ways that are extremely subtle, but I think when it comes to shoes that this conversation gets different. With cars, most people can only afford one, so it’s easy to have smooth brained advertising like that, and expect good results. Shoes on the other hand, like boards, people will go through tons in their life even if they don’t have a collection. Like the consumer understands the product at a mass level much better in the case of shoes or a skateboard, so that fits an e-commerce profile better than say cars. The car industry was a good point to use to show how I think your reasoning holds in a traditional manufacturing sense. Like I think In shoes athletes can have two impacts. One, the athlete is so fucking great like Jordan that u get an impact like that, or two originally that athlete creates the impact. I would argue that with shoes it’s the latter. The consumer grows in life, considering people buy shoes from toddler to death, that reasoning choosing in shoes changes drastically.

As I’ve aged I only care about the materials and aesthetics as I feel most people do. So why do I want to pay more for a product that I can’t customize and get within days? Like when they plug these athletes they need to develop shoes for these guys, and they have to market them, etc. and the shoes end up being more money, when they could have spent the money creating a manufacturing process that scales superstars(adidas) with different variations at a high throughput rate? Like it’s a no brainer from a customization and scalability perspective. Shits just business homie, and that old school thinking is how this whole market has thought for a long time, but I genuinely don’t think the modern consumer fits that narrative anymore, not since Jordan.
1) Why is it easier with cars? If they can only afford one, they should be way more interested in the specs, and compare the models between them by actually trying the car at the seller before spending your money. Maybe I'm the weirdo here but I don't buy a home (I can only afford one) just through "smooth brained advertising". I need to know every details of it.

2) Taste and aesthetics is a cultural construction. Whether it's by a market campaign throught an athlete, instagram influencers, or smart ads, your brain get used to seeing the products in a pleasing environment/context which makes you accept the shapes in a positive way.

3) A lot of models that are marketed as a pro-model aren't actually designed from scratch with the athlete, they are just lightly twisted to please the pro. If you make a new product you have to develop it and test it with a pro or a customer panel. Also whatever you design is necessarily marketed through one output or another. You could argue the process is more expensive when you develop it with an athlete, but the exposure you get makes you save money during the marketing/advertising phase.

If what you are trying to say is the fact that in the future there will be less and less athletes that are superstars with a promodel maybe. But I don't think Nike will stop marketing their products with athletes. Sport shoes and sport apparel become part of the fashion industry, and what you wear is part of your social status, and what you want to communicate. Fashion brands have models and influencers, sport brands have athletes, car companys have cars that compete in rallys and formula 1. At the Instagram era, focusing purely on ROI, and denigrate brand identity like you would do if you were selling screws seems wrong.

Also, I didn't heard the podcast yet, I'm just commenting on what you said.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2021, 10:06:52 AM »
I can only speak from the 00's generation view-point, but who was on what team certainly drove the shoe-purchasing decisions of my group of friends.

Sure, the $40 bin saw our loyalty tested, but I bought e's when Koston and Penny were on, and switched to Lakai when Cairo and Koston were there.

Is it really that different now, for skateboarding specifically? I have no clue.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

veritas

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2021, 10:11:25 AM »
Was Cairo Foster Uyghur slave working for Adidas!?

"Adidas is a Uyghur slave labor supporter and Cairo loves them"

couldn't resist

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »
I'm no business guy, but can a CEO come in and basically 180 a company with the size and success of Nike without the boards approval?

What you're suggesting is a deviation from a brands multi-decade success story. Not sure what their market share is these days, I'm sure it's not as large as it once was. But Nikes whole thing has been to sign the best in each respective category. To say that athlete/influencer/model/etc doesn't help sell a product is false. Brands that lack clear direction, image and voice do not succeed. I could maybe see them spending less on B and C tier athletes, and just keeping A level and spending more on "organic marketing" (influencers) but we all know Lebron's contract is being re-signed.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2021, 11:10:29 AM »
I can only speak from the 00's generation view-point, but who was on what team certainly drove the shoe-purchasing decisions of my group of friends.

Sure, the $40 bin saw our loyalty tested, but I bought e's when Koston and Penny were on, and switched to Lakai when Cairo and Koston were there.

Is it really that different now, for skateboarding specifically? I have no clue.

You definitely hit the nail on the head for me on this one. Except now I've been trying all different brands, no matter corpo or core and I still haven't found my golden shoe. Full blown shoe madness in my life, it's a problem.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

But the athletes aren't strictly about selling their own pro models. Adidas might not care whether you buy the busenitz pro model or the superstars, but the fact that busenitz and a bunch of other popular pros are associated with the brand is a huge part of why someone considers buying any of them. Would you ever consider buying a pair of circas or DVSs? Most people wouldn't look twice at those brands if they were browsing the shop wall, but if they had teams of legit top name pros (like they used to) then they would at least enter people's minds when making a buying decision.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

GreggPopovich

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2021, 04:08:20 PM »
Considering there were so many direct replies I decided on just like giving an overall opinion.

1. I do not think Nike or Adidas will ever stop sponsoring athletes. Their image to a degree is based upon athletes, but they will be far far fewer. Like Nike/Jordan is trying to get out from Zion, Tatum, Luka, and a shitload of role players they have signed in the last few years. If these guys are doing this to basketball superstars like that, it’s gonna trickle down to skating. 

2. Nike and adidas if they actually have a legit pro model, not a colorway, goes through the process of creating an entire manufacturing process to produce the shoe. Nike if they realize a pro won’t return on investment the development of that process and what not, why in the fuck will they make pro models? So pro models will become almost non existent, and for future top pros I bet at most people will have colorways. The market has been going this way for a long time, and All the big boys have been fairly stingy in original shoes for a long time and moving towards colorways(see Nora, Diego Najera, Miles, etc. for adidas colorways as a random example).

essentially I see far fewer pros, far fewer market investments(like polar, events, contests, etc.), and pro models becoming nonexistent with at most colorways/material variations of staple skate shoes on the big boys.

I think this will leave a mass part of the market out of a job as a pro skater, and realistically the shoe companies had been funding the whole industry. Like pros essentially are surviving and being able to create media for a living at the highest level because they have no job responsibilities. It’s impossible to be a world class skater and work a 9-5 at the same time compared to people who don’t.

I think this means either one of two things, either the skateboard industry funds itself in creating means to support itself, ergo creating their own shoe or clothing brands, or we end up with rob dyrdeks version of reality with like 10-20 pros who actually make a living and a shitload of money, and then every other skater in the world. Instead of the current ecosystem we have.

I think Nike(well I’ve heard stuff too), but I think they are gonna drop shops like adidas. Vans I don’t think will ever drop shop shoes but that’s for a different reason and a tangent to this convo. If shops use  street money(non skater money) to survive, which a shitload do although hardwoods lately has exploded so it hasn’t been bad because of that but eventually the market will stabilize given the lifecycle of the product for a street money consumer, and shops will have to support themselves on soft goods to street consumers, and frankly other than vans, which people can buy cheaper elsewhere, what in the fuck do skate shops offer other than lakai and sole tech these days? I mean shit is bare.

I think In order for shops, and therefore the skateboarding industry as a whole to survive, we are going to need people to step up and develop skater owned shoe brands in America or else the entire industry including hardgoods, literally fucking everything will die(kind of like how the NBA as a whole is coupled to TV ratings), unless manufacturers go direct to consumer. The issue with that is manufacturers unless they are fucking dumb realize that the North American market is coupled to shops. Like a local skate shop literally creates a scene in a metropolitan area. Like hardwoods manufacturers might want to go direct like that, but literally the amount of skaters in cities will die unless u live in Cali or NYC.

So then the question becomes well who will be able to create skater owned product that drives people into shops? People who have brand image and identity. Like if Nike or Adidas is this dumb with skating, they will fucking shit the bed because I don’t think they realize that skate shops influence their market to the degree they do, or at least I’m willing to make the gamble and say they don’t understand the severity in their miscalculation if they try to downsize their programs. Since if they let the skate shops take over the market again, Nike and Adidas will never control the market again.

I agree that from a skateboarding perspective and how with shops brand identity matters, but from an e-commerce perspective it does not. Nike bills their entire company with how they treat their basketball players, as does adidas with them and soccer. If they use this same strategy with the skateboard market it’s going to bite them in the ass big time, hence why I said I genuinely would be shocked if we don’t see dudes like TJ and what not start their own companies. 

Welpok

• Rep: 11
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
I'm no business guy, but can a CEO come in and basically 180 a company with the size and success of Nike without the boards approval?

What you're suggesting is a deviation from a brands multi-decade success story. Not sure what their market share is these days, I'm sure it's not as large as it once was. But Nikes whole thing has been to sign the best in each respective category. To say that athlete/influencer/model/etc doesn't help sell a product is false. Brands that lack clear direction, image and voice do not succeed. I could maybe see them spending less on B and C tier athletes, and just keeping A level and spending more on "organic marketing" (influencers) but we all know Lebron's contract is being re-signed.

no, they can't. also, lebron has a lifetime deal, no re-signing there. https://www.businessinsider.com/nike-gave-lebron-james-a-lifetime-shoe-deal-2015-12

i work in the marketing world, specifically with influencers/pro atheletes. you are dead wrong if you don't think they move product.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2021, 11:12:40 AM »
I don't know if Nike will pull all their riders but they're going to do something drastic at some point. They don't sponsor more skaters than every other shoe company put together just because they're doing well and want to give back to the industry. It's part of an aggressive, long term business plan. It doesn't make sense for them to keep 2,000 riders on the payroll. That's going to go at some point. My guess is it will be when they finally feel dominant enough to sustain their market share without that team, and that's where the issue comes in with what you're saying @GreggPopovich about skate owned companies coming back. If Nike just straight noped out of the industry there'd be room for that as everyone needs shoes, but if they're still producing those shoes then people will still buy them. I'm not doubtful that a lot of people's morals about supporting pros would suddenly go out of the window if Nike dictated the industry to go in that direction. Then you're just left with the same thing you've got now but way less opportunity for skaters to get paid.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »
on mob.

Is there anything to unpack here? I wonder if this has to do with adidas cutting out shops.
I find it hard to believe mob is offering more money, but i could be wrong.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLfrbvElDbJ/?igshid=kyilsh0i87xh

Who's gonna fill those shoes? *slaps knee*

GreggPopovich

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »
I don't know if Nike will pull all their riders but they're going to do something drastic at some point. They don't sponsor more skaters than every other shoe company put together just because they're doing well and want to give back to the industry. It's part of an aggressive, long term business plan. It doesn't make sense for them to keep 2,000 riders on the payroll. That's going to go at some point. My guess is it will be when they finally feel dominant enough to sustain their market share without that team, and that's where the issue comes in with what you're saying @GreggPopovich about skate owned companies coming back. If Nike just straight noped out of the industry there'd be room for that as everyone needs shoes, but if they're still producing those shoes then people will still buy them. I'm not doubtful that a lot of people's morals about supporting pros would suddenly go out of the window if Nike dictated the industry to go in that direction. Then you're just left with the same thing you've got now but way less opportunity for skaters to get paid.

I think there is two things your missing here compared to my point of view. namely:

1.Artificial Supply and demand.
2. How that is created/sustained in the shoe/fashion market

People buy products, at least high end niche products that supreme, palace, etc. create for outrageous prices because of these two things. In the current marketplace Nike owns the resale and the consumer market. I believe skaters could price Nike and Adidas out of that spot if they wanted too and had enough clout like a TJ(I keep using him because he is just a fantastic example). Like if you are an actual influencer to that degree already with the market hookup? Why would supreme or palace or whoever the fuck rather not control their own shoe companies essentially doing work exclusively with riders, and cutting Nike out of the equation. Shops Like the current Nike Model get the non exclusive drops from those pros, and like the actual supreme store for say TJ has limited drops creating artificial supply and demand.

This NEEDs to happen if Nike and Adidas dip or else the market will suffer prolly worse than it ever has at the shop level once the Covid bubble bursts, and that's only for shops that can get the distribution of that bubbles goods.

If this does not happen it will impact manufacturers since they won't have pros to market their product. Now when I say manufacturer here I am being slightly disingenuous because numerous brands don't manufacture anything. This will still hurt woodshops though, as well as shops. I mean this is a big deal. Like if skaters have to get jobs brands lose riders, shops lose business, and manufacturers lose business since the overall amount of skaters is dictated by shop quality nationwide. I mean the skateboard industry kind of relies on itself through cooperation, since theoretically shops compete with manufacturers since they can go direct to consumer, but manufacturers unless they are dumb realize that even if their percentage of the pie get smaller, if the overall pie gets larger they make more money.

I've heard from multiple sources in the shoe game that Nike is going to stop this influx of SB Collab's soon enough because for them to artificially manipulate the resale market the math dictates they have to do that, for the next generation of these things.

I've heard that by like fucking 2022 Nike will have moved dunk distribution to house of hoops or the equivalent for a community. Shits coming, writing been on the wall for a while.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »
The amount of nonsense gibberish you're trying to articulate is silly. You have either no idea of what you're talking about or you're not able to articulate your ideas because most of what you say doesn't make sens.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »
Cairo got transferred out of skate at Adidas and was working on stuff not related to skateboarding, he wanted to stay in skateboarding so he took a job at Mob. Nothing more, nothing less....

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »
Cairo got transferred out of skate at Adidas and was working on stuff not related to skateboarding, he wanted to stay in skateboarding so he took a job at Mob. Nothing more, nothing less....
Yup. That actually jibes with the intel briefings we’ve had here at HQ.
Cheetah, er... I mean, Gregg does make some interesting points, though I’m a bit dubious about their application in this sector. Pretty interesting discuss, regardless.
That whole “new CEO changed the direction of the company” stuff, though... I dunno.
Shoes/fashion isn’t really my wheelhouse anyway, so I’m gonna let you adults continue to hash it out while I sit over hear taking notes.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2021, 01:24:13 PM »

hardly art, hardly starving

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yup. That actually jibes with the intel briefings we’ve had here at HQ.
Cheetah, er... I mean, Gregg does make some interesting points, though I’m a bit dubious about their application in this sector. Pretty interesting discuss, regardless.
That whole “new CEO changed the direction of the company” stuff, though... I dunno.
Shoes/fashion isn’t really my wheelhouse anyway, so I’m gonna let you adults continue to hash it out while I sit over hear taking notes.

Yeah I don't have time to go through the long posts on this thread, but I was addressing some of the "Adidas is going under" posts that aren't founded on anything other than speculation at this point. Cairo is a good skater and an ever better dude, he deserves to be in skateboarding, in some shape or form. I am stoked for him, Mob makes good grip.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think there is two things your missing here compared to my point of view. namely:

1.Artificial Supply and demand.
2. How that is created/sustained in the shoe/fashion market

People buy products, at least high end niche products that supreme, palace, etc. create for outrageous prices because of these two things. In the current marketplace Nike owns the resale and the consumer market. I believe skaters could price Nike and Adidas out of that spot if they wanted too and had enough clout like a TJ(I keep using him because he is just a fantastic example). Like if you are an actual influencer to that degree already with the market hookup? Why would supreme or palace or whoever the fuck rather not control their own shoe companies essentially doing work exclusively with riders, and cutting Nike out of the equation. Shops Like the current Nike Model get the non exclusive drops from those pros, and like the actual supreme store for say TJ has limited drops creating artificial supply and demand.

This NEEDs to happen if Nike and Adidas dip or else the market will suffer prolly worse than it ever has at the shop level once the Covid bubble bursts, and that's only for shops that can get the distribution of that bubbles goods.

If this does not happen it will impact manufacturers since they won't have pros to market their product. Now when I say manufacturer here I am being slightly disingenuous because numerous brands don't manufacture anything. This will still hurt woodshops though, as well as shops. I mean this is a big deal. Like if skaters have to get jobs brands lose riders, shops lose business, and manufacturers lose business since the overall amount of skaters is dictated by shop quality nationwide. I mean the skateboard industry kind of relies on itself through cooperation, since theoretically shops compete with manufacturers since they can go direct to consumer, but manufacturers unless they are dumb realize that even if their percentage of the pie get smaller, if the overall pie gets larger they make more money.

I've heard from multiple sources in the shoe game that Nike is going to stop this influx of SB Collab's soon enough because for them to artificially manipulate the resale market the math dictates they have to do that, for the next generation of these things.

I've heard that by like fucking 2022 Nike will have moved dunk distribution to house of hoops or the equivalent for a community. Shits coming, writing been on the wall for a while.
I've heard from a few people with Nike SB hook ups that the way Nike works it now is theres a few different levels of being Am over there, and they're definitely working the market that they created. There's your regular ams that get whatever shoe go out, Blazers, janoskis, nyjahs, and then theres your "cool kid" influencer type ams, that are all legit skaters but have the cool kid vibe big instagram following all that, these kids are getting 12 pair of sought after dunks in their boxes, so they go flip half of those on StockX or whatever and they could be making $2-3grand a package, then you have your regular paid ams that probably also get a bunch of cool dunks in their boxes too. Nike just figured a way to basically pay the fuck out of their ams for little or nothing.