Author Topic: mike vallely speed freaks raw footage  (Read 2174 times)

Winford Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
mike vallely speed freaks raw footage
« on: February 21, 2021, 06:12:11 AM »
https://youtu.be/zGk6yV-ocJU

this takes me back. enjoy.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: mike vallely speed freaks raw footage
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »
Man there's some real gold on that channel.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 11:37:57 AM »
That was insane. So much footage all in one day. This actually was probably my favorite part growing up so super cool to see all the raw footage. So crazy to think this was all in one day and there was a ton of stuff that didn’t make it in the edit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 01:01:17 PM »
I've convinced myself the fat kid is Kelly hart and it's even more enjoyable now....

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »
I don't know if that push deserved its own part, but it is a great one.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:46:30 AM »
Vallely on the Barnyard deck is the best era Vallely, so this rules.  Just watched Rubbish Heap and it was sick.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:14 PM »
That was fun.. Thanks!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 07:43:51 PM »
A lot of times these days raw footage is what I like watching best. I believe that's how skateboarding should still be filmed too, let the tape run and record absolutely everything.

Kids at the fence were tight, and I loved how none of them would spontaneously play along mentioning the company until asked. 'I like any board that's skateable!', 'I like the wheels that go fast!'.

I'm so trying that shifty shove-it shuffle thing down a curb or something. Was also funny to remember how people back then were already guilty of push then powerslide, Mike even does at least one double one here, some basic aesthetics were still getting figured out. It's cute.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 05:38:44 AM »
So was Mike on Trackers in this? Truck sponsorship was looser back then and I know I've seen barnyard era clips on Tracker but it also looks like he might be riding Ventures before, during and after that period.

I can't believe that the raws for this part are still around and that there's over an hour of footage.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 06:25:07 AM »
that was sick.

Anyone know who filmed this?

assvogel

• Rep: 194
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 06:40:54 AM »
So was Mike on Trackers in this? Truck sponsorship was looser back then and I know I've seen barnyard era clips on Tracker but it also looks like he might be riding Ventures before, during and after that period.

I can't believe that the raws for this part are still around and that there's over an hour of footage.

I think there's Mike V ads for both Venture and Tracker in 1988 but he was def back on Venture in the early 90's...
But maybe he was swinging for both teams by having Tracker ads in TWS and Venture ads in Thrasher...

Jan 1988

Dec 1988

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:56:51 AM by assvogel »

Winford Thomas

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 09:56:38 AM »
that was sick.

Tony Roberts, he did all of Santa Cruz's classic videos. That's his youtube channel, lots of gems check it out.

So was Mike on Trackers in this?

I think at some point Rocco was team manager of Venture so I am going to guess Venture. I can't really tell from the video.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 12:00:51 PM »
Expand Quote
that was sick.

[close]

Tony Roberts, he did all of Santa Cruz's classic videos. That's his youtube channel, lots of gems check it out.

Expand Quote
[close]

I think at some point Rocco was team manager of Venture so I am going to guess Venture. I can't really tell from the video.
There's a pretty good shot of them @34:47. Looking at them I think they are Six Tracks without the plastic baseplates. I don't know too much about variations in Trackers line but a little searching turned up that they made an Ultralight version that had a magnesium baseplate. I think that's black anodized magnesium.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »
I listened to his entire nine club appearance and according to Mike he started out on independent and Rocco switched him over to venture.

Ran into Mike V at a skate spot in New Brunswick in 1994. Just want to comment that he was grossly under rated for that time. The guy was boosting Ollies and kick flips almost at the level of Reese Forbes and 180ing a one lane street gap at 10 o’clock at night by himself.

I’ve actually been on a Mike V kick lately. I really like where his head is at now, but the Mike V meathead/Drive period went on too long and I thought his skating was too One dimensional during that time period. I got to see him during suburban diners and I think that was peak Mike V.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuzm4u_Jp4

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 12:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that was sick.

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
There's a pretty good shot of them @34:47. Looking at them I think they are Six Tracks without the plastic baseplates. I don't know too much about variations in Trackers line but a little searching turned up that they made an Ultralight version that had a magnesium baseplate. I think that's black anodized magnesium.
Wow I remember those shitty plastic baseplates.  >:(
Why?!?!?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 12:45:08 PM »
Underrated but skating was still building that foundation which was built on progression.  You can see in this clip that Ed is a few inches in front of him....same with the demo footage of Jason Lee and Mike V....by the time Henry Sanchez rolled around Mike was so 'far behind'.

Sick we can go back now and appreciate it.  There's so many stories I've heard about Mike and Ed it's rad to see just a glimpse, Ann and Deanna in there.....Ed is wearing a skull skates shirt...

Winford Thomas

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 02:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that was sick.

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

good catch. i seem to recall the first generation ventures had a washer below the bottom bushing but at some point in the later 80s they started to look like this where the bushing sat in the baseplate:

i can't really tell from the video, but the baseplate profile at 33:47 in the clip is probably the best clue we will get. the red with white bushing seems like he did that himself.

you are right tracker sixtrack/ultralites had the plastic baseplate and a metal version i remember seeing them both at the shop. the ones i saw back then had kind of an corner on the design where the bolts went that the ventures don't have

there were alot of changes to trucks happening right then. i remember the venture salt and peppers coming out and then the featherlites were just a couple of years later. totally different profiles. same time tracker went from sixtracks to aggros and then the floating axle ones by like 1991.

so yeah maybe you are correct about the trackers with the metal baseplates since this is 1988 that was happening

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »
This was amazing, and I'm only 4 minutes in.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 08:24:30 PM »
Ran into Mike V at a skate spot in New Brunswick in 1994. Just want to comment that he was grossly under rated for that time. The guy was boosting Ollies and kick flips almost at the level of Reese Forbes and 180ing a one lane street gap at 10 o’clock at night by himself.
yeah if you watch (411) comp footage from that era he just skates really fast and simple but his tricks are popped so high. Pretty much what Ethan Fowler from that era was doing; fast/ stylish simple tricks with solid pop!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 08:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that was sick.

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

good catch. i seem to recall the first generation ventures had a washer below the bottom bushing but at some point in the later 80s they started to look like this where the bushing sat in the baseplate:

i can't really tell from the video, but the baseplate profile at 33:47 in the clip is probably the best clue we will get. the red with white bushing seems like he did that himself.

you are right tracker sixtrack/ultralites had the plastic baseplate and a metal version i remember seeing them both at the shop. the ones i saw back then had kind of an corner on the design where the bolts went that the ventures don't have

there were alot of changes to trucks happening right then. i remember the venture salt and peppers coming out and then the featherlites were just a couple of years later. totally different profiles. same time tracker went from sixtracks to aggros and then the floating axle ones by like 1991.

so yeah maybe you are correct about the trackers with the metal baseplates since this is 1988 that was happening

badass post

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 04:02:05 AM »

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 05:55:02 AM »
Thanks. Watched the Mike V and the Tom Knox ones and they are absolutely great.

I feel that somehow the whole "filming" wasn't really structured yet, see how the camera dies while he's trying kickflip 5050 on the bank to bench but there are 200 Fs 5050 Fs out.

Still so cool and definitely waiting for more!!
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »
That was insane. So much footage all in one day. This actually was probably my favorite part growing up so super cool to see all the raw footage. So crazy to think this was all in one day and there was a ton of stuff that didn’t make it in the edit.

Because back then it was still about skating, sure you were filming...now it's about 'clips'

Dressen killed it back in the day.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »

I feel that somehow the whole "filming" wasn't really structured yet, see how the camera dies while he's trying kickflip 5050 on the bank to bench but there are 200 Fs 5050 Fs out.

In the Dressen Raws, Tony Roberts talks about follow filming and how that wasn't really done yet. Thinking back he may be right. I'm sure there are other early examples of it but most of Stacy's stuff was long lens tripod I think so that scans. The language of skate videos was still being developed. I think at this point, there woulda only been a handful of skate videos and a chunk of those were just filmed contests.

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
In the Dressen Raws, Tony Roberts talks about follow filming and how that wasn't really done yet. Thinking back he may be right. I'm sure there are other early examples of it but most of Stacy's stuff was long lens tripod I think so that scans. The language of skate videos was still being developed. I think at this point, there woulda only been a handful of skate videos and a chunk of those were just filmed contests.

I would say Tony was very much one of the first guys to really do any sort of proper follow filming.  The ones that Stacy did were cameras mounted or just held while driving a car, so you can only get like sidewalk skating while next to them or the downhill Future Primitive stuff (all epic shots) but don't have the same feel as skating right next to someone with a fish/wide.  These tapes are so amazing. 

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
Did this come out before or after Rubbish Heap? Cause Spike was for sure filming while following in that video.

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 05:16:55 PM »
Did this come out before or after Rubbish Heap? Cause Spike was for sure filming while following in that video.

Both were released in 1989.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 10:08:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My memory is a few months before Rubbish Heap

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 08:31:55 AM »
It's crazy to me that he always had such a good head of hair, yet voluntarily went bald during his prime 20s.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 10:34:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My memory is a few months before Rubbish Heap

I think you’re right as that’s how I remember it as well. Plus I think there’s some of the speed freaks leftovers in Rubbish Heap. Either way both were such amazing videos.