Author Topic: Thinner Helmets?  (Read 654 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -312
Thinner Helmets?
« on: March 23, 2024, 10:11:36 AM »
Had a bleeding little hole in my head after a fall the other week. First time that's happened in twenty years, but I have a kid now and don't wanna take that risk. But goddamn do helmets really HAVE to be that thick? I don't mind slight concussions or stitches, all I want to avoid is being a young dad in a coma. What about thinner helmets like the one that soccer goalie Petr Czech was wearing after his skull fracture? Any expertise/advice much appreciated

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
Re: Thinner Helmets?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 10:21:45 AM »
Have you looked at motorcycle helmets? Those are typically thinner , I’ve seen old dudes skate bowls in them. A google brought up this light weight helmet for people with seizure inducing conditions, it looks like bucket hat. Good luck.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 10:40:48 AM »
I know this isnt very helpful but I remember there was a company that had a kickstarter to make helmets that looked like a hat. Unfortunately (for some) it looks like a five panel. I dont mind five panels but its worth looking into if theyre still around

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 10:44:46 AM »
"The goal was to raise $50,000. Fast-forward five years, and with over $3 million in Indiegogo contributions, additional rounds of seed money and the help of MINI-funded accelerator program Urban-X, Hall and Klein have raised over $5 million. And to date, they’ve produced a grand total of zero bicycle helmets."

well theres that. they also havent posted on instagram in a while, but if u wanna make note to keep an eye on it orsomething

https://www.bkmag.com/2022/10/10/park-diamond-the-ballad-of-the-the-brooklyn-indie-no-go/

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 11:08:01 AM »
I've seen kids wearing the Petr Cech style. It's probably easiest to find as "rugby head gear". I wore it for the few rugby and Australian football games I played in early highschool and don't remember it being too hot or anything. Quick google and the current stuff looks way better than what I had but it still might look a little odd to wear while skating. Maybe you could somehow disguise it as a ear flap beanie.
It probably isn't as protective as a proper helmet but it would be way better than nothing.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • sup dog
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 11:47:19 AM »
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

hikyle2

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 01:58:13 PM »
You could get a skate certified only helmet that is pretty thin.  A lot of helmets are bike certified that makes them thicker.

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 03:13:41 PM »
bern skate helmets are thinner, branded "hard hats" because they don't carry certification

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 03:19:13 PM »
lambskin

Pasta Monster

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 05:11:04 PM »
Certified ProTec helmets can be found for the same price or less than this, but I think OP might be interested:
https://unequal.com/unhelmet-sport/

I think it’s stupid, but it all depends on what you skate. A certified helmet is probably overkill for someone skating the manual pads but that helmet from the link above would not do enough for someone skating big transition.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 54
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 05:38:21 PM »
So you want something that will stop a scratch but won't stop you getting concussed? There's a reason why non-certified skate helmets are frowned upon and in some countries banned... For what it's worth my certified TSG Evolution is not bulky at all compared to other certified helmets I've tried.

Barack Hussein

• Rep: -4
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 06:41:41 PM »
If I'm gonna have a helmet on my head I see zero reason to not just wear one that actually protexts my frikin dome.

Wearing a helemet has gotten me way more laid than if I had brain damage.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 04:56:59 AM »
Just commit and use the dome protruders, everyone deserves to live a life without a brain damage
:p

fernando the skater

• Rep: 104
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 06:09:33 AM »
I know this isnt very helpful but I remember there was a company that had a kickstarter to make helmets that looked like a hat. Unfortunately (for some) it looks like a five panel. I dont mind five panels but its worth looking into if theyre still around

Bike Pretty make helmets that look like hats - https://bikepretty.com/collections/shop

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -47
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 08:27:20 AM »
Get the Andy Anderson pro model

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 12:11:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bike Pretty make helmets that look like hats - https://bikepretty.com/collections/shop

oh wow, I guess if you could pull off a bucket hat this is a pretty good option

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 12:25:06 PM »
Just wear a beanie under a hat with Beats headphones

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 02:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wow - the hair helmet is a reason to start skating a halfpipe
https://bikepretty.com/collections/shop/products/hair-helmet?variant=40268888571950#images-1

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 02:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Wow - the hair helmet is a reason to start skating a halfpipe
https://bikepretty.com/collections/shop/products/hair-helmet?variant=40268888571950#images-1

I saw the same thing and was going to suggest it. Maybe see if the Dern Bros would test one out

I would assume the airbag helmet is the thinnest. doesn't even look like you're wearing a helmet

G_Money

• Rep: 12
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 05:24:16 PM »
https://antiordinary.co/

That company makes a beanie style helmet for winter sports. Not sure if they have a summer version yet.