Author Topic: The worst 3 pros in history  (Read 38864 times)

dannyprovolone

Re: The worst 3 pros in history
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »
so many softies in here. many reasons beside mediocre skating as to why one can be the worst

examples: rape, racism, spreading hate, abuse towards women, murdering gay people with bricks, etc

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Bam Margera - in terms of talent he should not have sold that many boards

Dustin Dollin - should have just been a video hype man

Ali Boulala - accidentally killing Shane Cross aside he was clearly phoning it in most of the time already
[close]
dollin has down some incredible shit on a skateboard man
Not in a long time. It’s been like ten years of him doing nothing but tossing himself down steep banks.

horny

• Rep: -28
  • Member of Simps Losers And Pussies
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »
Mike V fucking sucks
Mike V's the fuckin man.
Jerry Gurney, even though he's one of favourites, his pro career was short and shitty. Nyjah for his personality alone, and finally Andy Roy

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:12:19 AM by horny »
I'm going to fuck every single person on earth some day

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »
Pat Ngoho
Corey O Brien
Daniel Haney or any of those dudes from that era that could only grind rails

chrisskates808

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »
Expand Quote
the recency bias in this thread is fucking insane.

pat duffy? Nak? Atchley? what the fuck are you all on?
[close]

Yea, I was super surprised to see Brent Atchley and Duffy mentioned.

I sort of get Nak, but Sean Pablo and Ben Kadow are way more questionable.

Questionable in terms of?

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »
Great thread (seriously) i'll be back in time to present my top 3.

keep em coming it's surely a laugh :)

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2021, 11:00:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
d way, david loy, jagger eaton
[close]

Rick Jaramillo cause his videoparts were under the standards of that era ( planet earth Silver- 411 profile )

Caesar Singh just cause he got lots of potential in terms of style and trix selection ( amazing part in Silver planet earth), but seems he wasn't able to take vantage from his gift and his career falling a part, even because he was surrounded by the wrong manager ( read his intw on chrome ball).

josh Kasper, a weirdo.

Chris Branagh, ofcourse.
[close]

i entered this thread to say rick jaramillo.  that is a no brainer. 

#2 and 3 are josh harmony and sean powers.  fuck listing people you dont like or people who may have been complicit in the murder a gay man. 

i only want to see terrible skill x turned pro by a legit company

Rick J actually did a lot of dope nbds, bs fakie 5-0 fs shove to  name one. Dude was good, hate that the 411 part defined his career.

IpathCats

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2021, 11:22:27 AM »
I don't take anything on this forum personally. But bringing Brent Atchley into this discussion makes me wanna cry to my mommy.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »
Novak is now an option so...

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2021, 11:37:14 AM »
so many softies in here. many reasons beside mediocre skating as to why one can be the worst

examples: rape, racism, spreading hate, abuse towards women, murdering gay people with bricks, etc

They can do all of those things and still be objectively better than Ben Kadow at skateboarding, who, despite his trademark serial killer stare, is probably a very nice guy. I even enjoy some of his stuff, but Danny Way being unlikeable to over sensitive zoomers on Slap doesn’t make him a worse skater than Ben Kadow.

Michael Jackson was a better pop star than Bieber, and he diddled kids.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »
  • Gator (i feel like if you kill someone you end up in the top 3 by default)
  • Andy Schrock (or anyone that creates their own company and makes themselves pro)
  • having a hard time with a third, almost everyone else in this thread fucking rips (or ripped) even if they have a goofy personality. Maybe TK though? you can just tell he was never really at that level.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the recency bias in this thread is fucking insane.

pat duffy? Nak? Atchley? what the fuck are you all on?
[close]

Yea, I was super surprised to see Brent Atchley and Duffy mentioned.

I sort of get Nak, but Sean Pablo and Ben Kadow are way more questionable.
[close]

Questionable in terms of?

I'm lumping them in because of the FA camp connection. But Ben Kadow, who I love, probably shouldn't be pro. He has sketch factor backed by some great tricks and spots, but he has the same flavor as a hometown legend at the end of day. That's great, but standing next to Dill or KB or Louie it just doesn't hold up.

Sean Pablo and Nak are similar in the sense that they just don't give me anything I can't get at any skatepark these days. I don't follow either well enough to really break it down, but again... stand them up against your average heavy hitter and they're pretty underwhelming. Nak is probably more versatile than Swan, though.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2021, 12:01:47 PM »
If we're talking not good enough skill-wise to be turned pro by a legit company:

TK: he could probably take all three spots for the amount of hype he got. I got it at first, he was skating handrails after only skating a year. But he did not get much better than that and, aside from being good at fakie lipslides, he was way behind everyone around him and with really bad style to boot.

Felix Arguelles: Shop sponsor skill-level with I've only skated for 6 months style. It was weird that when I started skating he was considered kind of a legend or something. That Famous Star and Straps also might be one of the worst companies in the history of skateboarding.

Zach Allen: I will admit that in the last year he has impressed me more than I ever thought he could, but he really isn't anything other than a good flow bro in both skill and style. Plus, he doesn't actually seem like that good of a dude and I've spent a bit of time around him. It's been weird that companies like Baker, who have had no problem dropping people that weren't producing, have hyped him up so much. As I'm writing this I am reminded of Dee Ostrander. He might be in the top 10 of this list.

This list made me think if any big board brand has as bad of a record with shitty pros as Baker. TK, Dee, Antwuan (can't really blame that one entirely on Baker, he was really amazing and fell victim to addiction and bad life choices, but they did exploit and profit from his outlaw image), Shane.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2021, 12:11:18 PM »
I'm not sure who my top 3 worst pros would be, but I'm dropping in to say:

a) I don't understand the dislike for Rick Jaramillo.  Dude had some good parts.  I always like his one in Girl Trouble.

b) Mike V is definitely one of the best, so I guess the definition of worst needs to be defined.

c) No one mentioned Skip Pronier, which is good since he was not one of the worst either.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2021, 12:12:01 PM »
Bam - Skates about as good as every skatepark kid at their local in every town.

Jub - best trick is just rolling off of stuff

Matt Allen - Just about every trick he put out in a video part was one-upped by someone else in the same video.

if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

Hombreezy

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »
If we're talking not good enough skill-wise to be turned pro by a legit company:

TK: he could probably take all three spots for the amount of hype he got. I got it at first, he was skating handrails after only skating a year. But he did not get much better than that and, aside from being good at fakie lipslides, he was way behind everyone around him and with really bad style to boot.

Felix Arguelles: Shop sponsor skill-level with I've only skated for 6 months style. It was weird that when I started skating he was considered kind of a legend or something. That Famous Star and Straps also might be one of the worst companies in the history of skateboarding.

Zach Allen: I will admit that in the last year he has impressed me more than I ever thought he could, but he really isn't anything other than a good flow bro in both skill and style. Plus, he doesn't actually seem like that good of a dude and I've spent a bit of time around him. It's been weird that companies like Baker, who have had no problem dropping people that weren't producing, have hyped him up so much. As I'm writing this I am reminded of Dee Ostrander. He might be in the top 10 of this list.

This list made me think if any big board brand has as bad of a record with shitty pros as Baker. TK, Dee, Antwuan (can't really blame that one entirely on Baker, he was really amazing and fell victim to addiction and bad life choices, but they did exploit and profit from his outlaw image), Shane.
Dee ripped. Idk how he is off the board but he had some sick video parts over the years.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »
Leo valls

Jimmy Lannon (is he pro? Either way I know my rep will shoot down for this one)

I feel like there’s a bunch of old pool/tranny pros who all do the same basic airs and slash grinds

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

D10S

• Rep: -53
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2021, 12:19:53 PM »
TK, Bam, Daniel Castillo

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »

Matt Allen - Just about every trick he put out in a video part was one-upped by someone else in the same video.
Bam was never a pro level skater, but he have one thing that the others you mentioned don't have: charisma. I like his old parts, but he was never pro level.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »

now THESE are fuckin fighting words

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »
i am absolutely disgusted by manny santiago.
in every way

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
Mike V is a fair candidate. Other than his early Powell days he was doing old tricks that the rest of skateboarding had revolved beyond. Acting all punk rock ethical while bailing on everybody for more money and pretending to be in Black Flag cover the personality part.

Winkowski seems like a decent enough guy, but who cares about skating old boards. Same as that Dead Dave or whatever guy y’all were pumping on here a while back. All those old boards/tricks guys are boring.

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »
to em nyjah is the worst pro ever

he has no style, he tries to follow trends, he kinda pretends he is smiling now while recording stuff from insta, nothing about him looks natural, but the biggest reason is how bad influence he is to every human on earth about what skating is about... the amount of potential nice skaters he can ruin by influencing with his behavior, way he acts, way he skates, way he dress etc, by far the highest potential of shit affect Ive ever seen in the skate scene.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »
this thread is a fucking mess

Piff Burton

• Rep: 0
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2021, 02:11:58 PM »

Winkowski seems like a decent enough guy, but who cares about skating old boards. Same as that Dead Dave or whatever guy y’all were pumping on here a while back. All those old boards/tricks guys are boring.

Christopher Hiett is the next in line I guess.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »
That lobster boy for sure up there, skill wise and at being a considerate human also. In before 'oh he had that one part that was ok' - his most memorable clip on a board is tripping on that chain and slamming on the cellar door via jenkem, other than that the dude has no redeeming qualities, pissy rag torture art or not.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2021, 03:25:28 PM »
to em nyjah is the worst pro ever

he has no style, he tries to follow trends, he kinda pretends he is smiling now while recording stuff from insta, nothing about him looks natural, but the biggest reason is how bad influence he is to every human on earth about what skating is about... the amount of potential nice skaters he can ruin by influencing with his behavior, way he acts, way he skates, way he dress etc, by far the highest potential of shit affect Ive ever seen in the skate scene.

When you plant shit seeds, you get shit weeds

Sifter

• Rep: 47
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
Doug Brown x3

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2021, 05:10:47 PM »
Joe Gruber

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »
While I disagree that Jaramillo is one of the worst pros ever, I always thought it was hilarious that in his Profiles intro he says something like "Hi, I'm Rick Jaramillo. People call me 'Rick J' for some weird reason".