Author Topic: The worst 3 pros in history  (Read 38869 times)

Pretty Serious

Re: The worst 3 pros in history
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
Keelan Dadd gets honorable mention for pimping out underage babyscumbucket, bitching about $10k monthly checks and dubbing himself switchgod.  Kooked himself out of the industry.

serd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2021, 03:47:25 PM »
Expand Quote
And despite all his accomplishments Rodney has always aesthetically looked the worst on a skateboard . Unwatchable.
[close]

Very controversial, but the truth hurts. About a year ago, I tried explaining this to my non-skater friend who said his favorite skater of all-time was Rodney Mullen. It was impossible to get him to understand why style usually trumps heavy technical skill. I just stressed how Mullen looks very awkward while skating (mainly due to his freestyle champ foundation); not to mention his lack of fashion sense. That being said, 1989 Rubbish Heap into 1990 Rodney during (his final freestyle days) looked pretty rad in pegged pants and World t-shirts that weren't XXL. I have so much love and respect for the Mutt, but yeah... aesthetically speaking, he's a bit of a mess.

this is interesting. but yeah, as much of a legend he is i'll never rewatch any of his footage cause i actually cant stand looking at it. aesthetics are a HUGE part of the appeal of skateboarding, like it or not.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: February 26, 2021, 04:50:33 PM »
Chet Thomas may have been tasteless but he was far from being the worst. Like him or hate him he had his own original thing going on. Definitely merits having been pro.

mushroom slice

« Reply #213 on: February 26, 2021, 07:20:30 PM »
Ima go wit Richie Jackson cuz he sucks
And Chuck Wampler cuz he sucks

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2021, 12:45:57 AM »
somebody has seen baker2g, sight unseen, chicagof and baker 3 and still called dustin dollin a bottom 3 pro in the history of skateboarding.

lol what a fucking idiot.

tk is in there. laughable 'skill' even in his prime.

probably didn't have a board but honorable mention to roger mancha, whose part in street cinema used to make me and my friends laugh super hard, especially the multiple times he very nearly falls just pushing.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2021, 02:02:14 AM »
somebody has seen baker2g, sight unseen, chicagof and baker 3 and still called dustin dollin a bottom 3 pro in the history of skateboarding.

probably didn't have a board but honorable mention to roger mancha, whose part in street cinema used to make me and my friends laugh super hard, especially the multiple times he very nearly falls just pushing.

holy shit you are so right, I forgot about that part, the funniest part is mancha act all hard here in BR, he really thinks he is the shit lmao, cool guy and came long way, but fuck that style, I guess we can debate worst style ever? I guess would be between him and jeffwonsong

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2021, 03:17:46 AM »
Holy shit that guy's got the longest arms I've ever seen, they're practically dragging on the floor when he sets up for a trick
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

poopingbutts

• Rep: -2
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2021, 04:01:20 AM »
1. Neal Hendrix (for obvious reasons)
2. Alex Sorgente (for doing that on video)
3. Nyjah (see a pattern here?)

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2021, 05:35:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Are we talking skill or personality? Sinner either way
[close]

Now look-- I think Sinner is a fried moron with a pile of horseshit for a brain just as much as the next guy-- but to claim he never ripped is a bit disingenuous.

I liked him better when he was just PAT

pi2

• Rep: 0
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2021, 02:52:02 AM »
Todd Falcon is up there

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2021, 06:14:47 AM »
In the defense of Austin Stephens and correct me if I'm wrong here. Didn't Ed turn him pro just before he had his injury? I heard his injury happened sometime after This is Skateboarding but before Good and Evil and he never really healed from it which makes sense if you compare those two parts. Also, it seems to me that Austin was very aware of his status in the industry and chose to retire from pro skateboarding by his own will. That sort of self awareness makes it impossible for me to put him on a list like this. Same goes for Shane Heyl who got a pro model on Baker which was more like a homie thing and not for being an actual pro skateboarder, something he was very well aware of and down with.

Kooky_Monster

• Rep: 6
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2021, 06:27:48 AM »
that being said

my top 3 is Gareth Stehr, Austin Stephens, Josh Harmony. 2004 was a dark year
Gareth Stehr is a lock in this discussion.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2021, 06:55:48 AM »
After reading this dumpster fire of a thread, I think I figured out three that fit both criteria.

1.) Jay Adams and friends picked a fight with a gay couple and said some horrible racist and homophobic shit to the one Black dude.  After assaulting him, he left as his friends killed the guy.  His religiously-based homophobia continued up until his death.  On the skating front, he ironically got his whole style from a Black surf/skate pioneer in Larry Bertlemann.  Old ass skaters still lionize him (source: https://www.vice.com/en/article/jmbbk3/maybe-we-shouldnt-be-so-sentimental-about-a-gay-bashing-skateboarder-658)

2.) Gator had his heyday but it REALLY didn't translate after vert died.  Dude sucked at street, even for the time.  He punched that kid in Australia, became a bible thumper, and then somehow still stalked his ex girlfriend before raping and killing her best friend. 

3.) 1010 was more image over results, as his reign on (or near) the top was short like leprechauns.  He keeps saying and doing racist and kooky shit.  It's lame that he gets a pass from some of his friends in the industry via his sponsors, but even skateboarding has a good ol' boys network.  God bless Peanut Brown.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2021, 07:30:40 AM »
Yeah Jay Adams is in top 3 for sure!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

zeroepedition

• Rep: -58
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Spanky. His bag of tricks is super shallow and his forever grom style is hard to watch.

Ali boulala was always cringey, dude is way too obsessed with himself.

And fuck it I'll say Ryan Sheckler for lying about El Toro

Eldridge had some killer tricks despite the lack of footage.
Whoever thinks Pat Duffy, go watch Plan B Questionable.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
I remember Ronson Lambert being pretty boring. Not sure if he ever went pro though.

I hate saying Daniel Castillo because it seemed like he was pretty productive back in the day but by the time he went pro he wasn't doing a whole lot.

Does Doug Brown count? Always saw him as more of a con artist.

Felix Arguelles is tough to watch.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Some of you are putting your own agenda into this a bit too much. It’s still Austin Stephens.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Spanky. His bag of tricks is super shallow and his forever grom style is hard to watch.

Ali boulala was always cringey, dude is way too obsessed with himself.

And fuck it I'll say Ryan Sheckler for lying about El Toro

Eldridge had some killer tricks despite the lack of footage.
Whoever thinks Pat Duffy, go watch Plan B Questionable.

I mentioned Duffy because of his social media bullshit. I am very aware of how good he is. By ‘worst pro’ I wasn’t exclusively thinking of skills at the time. My apologies to SLAP for the misunderstanding.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2021, 11:00:14 AM »
2. Alex Sorgente (for doing that on video)

I must have missed this one. What did Sorgente do?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
Who was that kid for blind who could only Ollie just enough to carcass toss himself down 20+ stair rails and hubbas? I’d like to add him into the convo.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2021, 02:09:16 PM »
I feel like Jordan Richter should be included in the worst pro conversation just because he's best known for having perhaps the most skipped past / "vert buttoned" part ever and for being a huge kook.

Pat Duffy's social media breaks my heart.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2021, 03:24:42 PM »
Kelch had dumb pop and the ill backside game, even though his style was trash.

Al Gar (Al Garcia)
Josh Harmony
Justin Roy
Matt Pailes

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
kevin white genuinely sucks. It was like a make-a-wish thing for him to be pro
joey brezinski I'd rather watch paint dry.
daniel espinoza is a knee knocking lil weakling.
big texas cummer

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »
Kelch had dumb pop and the ill backside game, even though his style was trash.

Al Gar (Al Garcia)
Josh Harmony
Justin Roy
Matt Pailes

I had soft spot for Justin Roy in the Hollywood Skateboards day, but I get it.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2021, 09:56:12 PM »
Who was that kid for blind who could only Ollie just enough to carcass toss himself down 20+ stair rails and hubbas? I’d like to add him into the convo.

Carlos Ruiz... I liked the mini documentary about him. The documentary really humanized a dude that was easy to hate. And, fucking Knox and Aaron Snyder are so annoying Carlos seems charming comparison.

Fuck I wonder what Carlos's image would have been if he didn't get the absolute worst song/edit ever. I understand Blind was trying to appeal to kids at the time, but man, Dennis Martin introduced Carlos to the world in the worst way possible... it pains me to say it, but dude's image probably would have been a lot better if he was found by the chief. Although, probably for the better as the chief would have exploited the shit out of him and Creager was honest about what a pro career actually looks like.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:10:53 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »
WARNING: that shit was f!%cked up!

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »

WayneKerr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »
1- Richie Jackson
Dork tricks ain't nothing new, people just get internet likes for them now instead of being called a faggot like when I was a kid

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2021, 06:40:33 PM »

You've blown my mind bringing up Rogerio Mancha! I bought a board off him at the 99 Radlands comp cos he was pretty much the only person left with boards to sell and in my mind I'd gotten it twisted and thought I bought one off Rodrigo TX before he'd blown up. On a side note, I asked Sheffey to sell me a board he replied "sorry Homie I don't do that" and then invited me to share a joint with him a Gershon. Sheffey fucking ruled that weekend.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2021, 07:21:26 AM »
- Brophy
- Richie Jackson
- Brophy
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.