Author Topic: Do Your Emotions Affect Your Session?  (Read 1729 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Do Your Emotions Affect Your Session?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »
I tend to just focus completely on what i am doing to avoid getting hurt at all costs
at the same time i dont want you to think that i am constantly thinking about getting hurt, i actively try to dispel those thoughts immediately and focus on the trick again
when i am thinking really hard about something like this i cant really think about anything else, and shitty real life problems in the back of my mind tend to just take a rest for a bit. sometimes i will forget about certain pain like say i just had a shitty dentist visit etc. that is why i like skating so much. every night i think about what i am going to try next and often when i get there i cant even remember all the things i wanted to try. one thing usually leads to another and the stuff i wanted to try goes out the window.

i try to never get mad at skateboarding but i definintely have 1 or 2 times in the past year but for the most part i know when to move on and stop trying something. I have heard Andy Anderson only tries something for 15 minutes then moves on. Have also heard Tom Asta will battle a trick for hours and will never show any sign of frustration, just willing to continue to put in the work it takes and have a positive mindset. its funny because a lot of people say skateboarding shouldnt have coaches but it is actually mindset that most people need to work on not the actual trick improvement / selection or athletic training.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2022, 09:09:59 AM »
bad days got me like

Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

dilbert1

• Rep: 139
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »
After posting my "mental health setup" in the setup thread I thought about this one.

I slipped into a depression due to work related bullshit and it kills my ability to skateboard. On a bad day, I can't bring myself to even try a trick that I know I can land 99 times in 100 tries and wouldn't get hurt on. I'm scared of everything, zero commitment. This lead me to not even dare to go skating if I'm not having a good day, because I'd just feel terrible about myself after the session. I currently feed off other peoples energy, there's nothing coming from me and I need someone trying stuff together with me, or just inspiring me by battling some trick. It reached a point where the thought of going out to skate is stressing me because it might go terrible and I'm just embarrassed. And then there are still normal days where I'm actually motivated and can go hard.

Working on it...

Another thought is how terrible it must be to be a pro skater in that situation...like you're pro and suddenly too afraid to kickflip a 5 stair