Author Topic: Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?  (Read 18032 times)

thomascandia

Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?
« on: February 21, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »
MJ, one of the best street skater ever, still keep telling on his intws how useless is filming a full lenght videopart nowdays, cause people is gonna forget in one second. 

Since he is been on Adidas ( 2016), he got less than 10 clips on 2 the team edits, and seems he is not keen too released another banging part, like  his last one on Pretty Sweet ( 2012 ), so l don't see any good reasons to paying this kind of ghost, unless they have changed his contract to flow status like Chico ( despite he still used too filming good videoparts and several instaclip more than MJ ).   

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
Tbh, we don't know how much he's getting paid. It could also be that Adidas realized they fucked up and are waiting for his contract to run out.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

thomascandia

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
Tbh, we don't know how much he's getting paid. It could also be that Adidas realized they fucked up and are waiting for his contract to run out.

I Reckon he still get paid well, cause how he can make living at this point ? Thru his SPitfire-Thunder's check or the incomes thru Business and co.?   

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I Reckon he still get paid well, cause how he can make living at this point ? Thru his SPitfire-Thunder's check or the incomes thru Business and co.?   

I mean you'd like to think they are/were paying him considerably more than his Lakai pay cheque, which even though he stated was getting cut from time to time he still had pro shoe's coming out all the way up until after he left  (I feel like he was one of the highest paid riders but could be wrong). To leave without a much bigger pay cheque he'd have had to really fucking hate Mike + Rickk, either that he was just reallyyyy feeling the samba's.

I think he got a colourway at some point on Adidas though, yano that first introduction we got to his awesome ideas?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
I'm a bit biased, but I like MJ.

The whole Lakai breakup couldn't have gone any worse and been any more public. What a gnarly turning point.

I wonder what the people at Adidas knew about his situation with Lakai when they ran the footage of him in the Adidas video. Like, were they surprised that running the footage of MJ when he was still on Lakai would blow up? Or, did they think it'd blow over pretty quickly? Or, did they want the controversy to get free publicity?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »

The whole Lakai breakup couldn't have gone any worse and been any more public. What a gnarly turning point.

I wonder what the people at Adidas knew about his situation with Lakai when they ran the footage of him in the Adidas video. Like, were they surprised that running the footage of MJ when he was still on Lakai would blow up? Or, did they think it'd blow over pretty quickly? Or, did they want the controversy to get free publicity?
I'd really like MJ or Carroll to touch on it in an interview. Its been like 5 years, I just wanna know how they feel about it now. Both sides were heated at the time and now that the dust has settled and shit happened after the flare and stuff I'd like to shed some light. Also RIP John Sciano's shortlived career.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

thomascandia

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:29:29 PM »
I just started this topic cause l heard at the time Adidas offered to him a really good contract in terms of money: l mean if u get paid well, sound very disrespectfull spit on the plate with complaining about how useless is go out in the streets for stacking clips. 

uote author=TheLurper link=topic=115655.msg3508185#msg3508185 date=1613941993]

[/quote]

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »

Honestly if that hadn't happened I probably wouldn't even know he was on adidas. One of the least memorable sponsor transfers ever.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

thomascandia

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »
 Mj recently in a intw or insta comment, mentioned some " shit people", maybe still beef under the ash. 
 Did Carroll, at yhe end, send back to his house the whole batch of his pro-shoes ?

Where is gone this production ? 

Expand Quote

[close]
I'd really like MJ or Carroll to touch on it in an interview. Its been like 5 years, I just wanna know how they feel about it now. Both sides were heated at the time and now that the dust has settled and shit happened after the flare and stuff I'd like to shed some light. Also RIP John Sciano's shortlived career.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
I wish Chico was still on Chocolate but prefer it without MJ.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »
If you look at it, his purple Adidas he came out with were really similar to his 2's on Lakai
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
He was probably one of the very last of his kind to sign a deal for decent money. Nobody's paying for legacy pros anymore. I'll be surprised if anybody that isn't famous in a multi-million kind of followers way gets paid a dime by the big two or three a few years form now.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 02:34:01 PM »
If he just skated all would be forgiven, but he’s too busy being the David Brent of skateboarding

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 02:40:47 PM »
MJ, one of the best street skater ever.   

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »
Would you rather spend an hour trying to understand OP's posts, or spend an hour stuck in traffic with MJ?

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 03:26:42 PM »
Would you rather spend an hour trying to understand OP's posts, or spend an hour stuck in traffic with MJ?

Easy choice, OP's anyday.

Can you imagine being stuck in traffic with MJ? He'd be unbearable dude. When you finally go to get out of the car, he reminds you to take your Business and Co boards, that, by the way, you owe him for now. Thanks MJ

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 05:01:56 PM »
Not be mention he’d be way above the legal limit

atheosx

• Rep: -17
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »
Hes like PJ Ladd. I dont overly care what hes up too, what clips hes putting out even if id rather it was alot more, im still a fan, and if his shoe was next to alot of other names, im buying it if its a decent fitting and feeling piece of leather rubber stitching and glue.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
My theory was that Adidas put him on the team knowing he had a Lakai shoe ready to hit the shelves. They used him as a pawn to sabotage Lakai. I remember in an interview MJ asked Adidas if they needed him to put out a video part and they said, nah that's okay, not really necessary. It's because he already served his purpose for Adidas.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 05:52:25 PM »
The evergreen cycle of slap

1.  The Nike hate threads
2.  The MJ hate threads
3.  The Numbers/Koston + Guy threads

Can’t wait until June when these threads start again with someone hearing that someone knows a Nike flow skater was told all riders are forced to skate with pushpins in their shoes because of the new ceo

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 06:09:51 PM »

2.  The MJ hate threads

Can’t wait until June when these threads start again with someone hearing that someone knows a Nike flow skater was told all riders are forced to skate with pushpins in their shoes because of the new ceo

4. Someone gets cancelled
5. Fuck Nyjah
6. ____ of ____

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »
My theory was that Adidas put him on the team knowing he had a Lakai shoe ready to hit the shelves. They used him as a pawn to sabotage Lakai. I remember in an interview MJ asked Adidas if they needed him to put out a video part and they said, nah that's okay, not really necessary. It's because he already served his purpose for Adidas.

His last Lakai shoe had already been out when he left for adidas.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 06:34:44 PM »
He was probably one of the very last of his kind to sign a deal for decent money. Nobody's paying for legacy pros anymore. I'll be surprised if anybody that isn't famous in a multi-million kind of followers way gets paid a dime by the big two or three a few years form now.
Chico got on Adidas idk if he’s gets a huge check but def gets one

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 06:57:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Chico got on Adidas idk if he’s gets a huge check but def gets one

I think Chico does brand work in addition.  Like TM or scout South American skaters

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »
do they?

free max b
FREE MAX B

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 07:17:33 PM »
Widgits.  They need to sell widgits.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 12:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote

2.  The MJ hate threads

[close]

4. Someone gets cancelled
5. Fuck Nyjah
6. ____ of ____
you forgot "is indy racist"

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 01:27:38 AM »
I've had the hiccups on and off for 5 days. Not really relevant to what you're talking about, but it is what it is.

companguero

• Rep: 247
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 01:42:07 AM »
I've had the hiccups on and off for 5 days. Not really relevant to what you're talking about, but it is what it is.

If you can remember what you might've eaten or maybe a particularly gassy drink you consumed prior to the hiccups, you could take us down the well worn derailment path.
My favorite explanation for hiccups is due to some vestigial part of the brain that still thinks we have gills.

I find drinking a glass of water like this does the trick.

But it kind of reinforces the whole gill thing. suspicious.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

thomascandia

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 02:34:46 AM »

2.  The MJ hate threads

I dont think Lakai is a big obstacle for a brand like Adidas to planning a sabotage against them. MJ left cause LAkai missed some paycheck   at the right time