Author Topic: Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?  (Read 18026 times)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
Re: Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 08:20:45 AM »
Adidas is blowing it with Trent Mcclung. Dudes dropped how much footy in the last few years? Probably not stopping anytime soon either

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

shannamal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?

because of contracts.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
He was probably one of the very last of his kind to sign a deal for decent money. Nobody's paying for legacy pros anymore. I'll be surprised if anybody that isn't famous in a multi-million kind of followers way gets paid a dime by the big two or three a few years form now.

Vans just put Tony Hawk, Andrew Reynolds, and Rick McCrank on. Obviously Reynolds and Hawk are legend status exceptions to any rules, but McCrank is definitely legacy status at this point.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 09:50:03 AM »
Adidas is blowing it with Trent Mcclung. Dudes dropped how much footy in the last few years? Probably not stopping anytime soon either

because all his parts are just lines on shin high ledges. must be weird to be that good and only skate the smallest obstacles possible

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
Adidas has to be kicking themselves for signing MJ; that whole MJ leaving Lakai, Carroll Jenkem interview, MJ getting kicked off chocolate and MJ adidas commercial fiasco has to be some of the worst PR for Adidas ever. So bad that even MJ, with all the great video parts he’s put out and his legend status, hasn’t even been able to fully bounce back from it. It’s pretty much smeared his image forever. People still acknowledge all he’s done in skating but he’s definitely viewed as more of a shell of his former self these days. Not to mention he’s put out next to nothing since getting on. Adidas has to be bummed they still have to pay him.

thomascandia

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »
Adidas has to be kicking themselves for signing MJ; that whole MJ leaving Lakai, Carroll Jenkem interview, MJ getting kicked off chocolate and MJ adidas commercial fiasco has to be some of the worst PR for Adidas ever. So bad that even MJ, with all the great video parts he’s put out and his legend status, hasn’t even been able to fully bounce back from it. It’s pretty much smeared his image forever. People still acknowledge all he’s done in skating but he’s definitely viewed as more of a shell of his former self these days. Not to mention he’s put out next to nothing since getting on. Adidas has to be bummed they still have to pay him.

I agree, plus listen Mj on his last interviews complaining how useless is focusing on new videoparts, sounds like a backstabbing to the brands that still pay him. He act just a  washed up pro that invested is time to filming drama ads cause he too lazy to filming trix.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
Point taken, but there really aren't too many Tony Hawk or Andrew Reynolds out there, and MJ isn't one of them. Struggling to think if there's even one more 40+ pro that's on either of their levels. Worth noting too that Reynolds is most certainly not getting the same kind of checks as Tony from Vans.

McCrank is one of my faves, and psyched if he's getting some support from Vans, but I'm sure it's just a token amount and a bunch of product.

Expand Quote
He was probably one of the very last of his kind to sign a deal for decent money. Nobody's paying for legacy pros anymore. I'll be surprised if anybody that isn't famous in a multi-million kind of followers way gets paid a dime by the big two or three a few years form now.
[close]

Vans just put Tony Hawk, Andrew Reynolds, and Rick McCrank on. Obviously Reynolds and Hawk are legend status exceptions to any rules, but McCrank is definitely legacy status at this point.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »

I feel this for sure. I'm sure Adidas must have made the move to try and switch a big crowd of Marc lovers over to Adidas, ones who maybe even shared Marc's previously documented views on big shoe brands in skating. But instead the drama and snakiness of how it all went down most likely just cemented those core fan's thoughts on corporate shoe brands in the first place, it kind of became a chink in the armour Adidas Skateboarding had been building for years - also it kind over shadowed Daewon's intro which I always thought kinda sucked too.

Even after all that you'd think the Adidas team would be smart enough to realise that if they tried to make him skate as much as possible and stop talking to cameras then it'd probably be alright... I guess the contract they got him on before it all blew up probably wasn't like though  ::)

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 02:37:48 PM »
If we are talking Marc sabotaging his legacy, I would say that leaving Lakai for Adidas is secondary to him not skating in years and being a boring old sook
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
how much footage or parts a pro pull out these days doesnt translate to being relevant, we are talking about MJ even the mf not doing anything for 234234 years... having a little active social media or shit like that probably do the job

I guess we all see videoparts as 20 years ago, that would be the most relevant thing, nowdays shit is very different, so many kids getting highlight for doing 1 insta trick that goes viral,etc

so I think MJ type of guy pays off these days, specially for a huge brand like adidas, coming from robotic big corpo brand, that hipster kids will talk shit, having a legit legend like MJ is a smart thing to do.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
You little bitches become such mean girls whenever MJ comes up.   The guy has far surpassed the need to justify his sponsorship with his career output which was pretty damn consistent throughout 2 decades.   Is he an annoying interview?  Yeah!  But 99% of skateboarders interviewed are boring and have nothing to say, but there must be some reason outlets go to him for an interview.  I hardly think Adidas has leveraged their team rider budget giving MJ a legacy contract, so I don’t know what people are upset about other than just some excuse to bag on him because he’s been known to be a touch too high falutin’ in his latter years

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »
I'm always amazed how quickly his public image changed... his jenkem interview got some serious positive feedback.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »
I still don’t hold much against him. There are bound to a few neuroatypical peeps in skateboarding. The dude’s harmless and he ripped. He’s not eating dogshit or abusing women.

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
You little bitches become such mean girls whenever MJ comes up.   The guy has far surpassed the need to justify his sponsorship with his career output which was pretty damn consistent throughout 2 decades.   Is he an annoying interview?  Yeah!  But 99% of skateboarders interviewed are boring and have nothing to say, but there must be some reason outlets go to him for an interview.  I hardly think Adidas has leveraged their team rider budget giving MJ a legacy contract, so I don’t know what people are upset about other than just some excuse to bag on him because he’s been known to be a touch too high falutin’ in his latter years

its a sport
you're paid to perform. When you stop performing, people start wondering why you're still around. We all know MJ did some pretty cool stuff in the past, but kids don't know shit about nor do they care, and old armchair skaters like us resent him for being so fucking annoying whenever he opens his mouth or put out a new """""idea""""" . I get the whole legend status shit, but i think it applies to people who look good on a picture sitting on a bench with shoes, pants and a tee shirt for sale. "Legend" status basically means you're kept on the team for modeling and you made your name into a brand so your pro model shoe sells.
Marc looks like a recovering drug addict and jeopardized his name in that unfortunate lakai break up. I don't see where the value is

GuessAgain?

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »
I'm not dogging on MJ's choice to switch to Adidas at all, I really couldn't care less about the whole ordeal other than in hindsight it was pretty epic drama between full on skate legends. I'm just trying to pick apart whether Adidas' plans for MJ might have changed judging by how it all played out and his lack of skating since. From the perspective of a fan, he seemed to isolate himself from the rest of the industry for a while, which is fully understandable but for adidas it's probably not ideal. I just thought they would have done more and included him in shit by now.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2021, 04:44:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

its a sport
you're paid to perform. When you stop performing, people start wondering why you're still around. We all know MJ did some pretty cool stuff in the past, but kids don't know shit about nor do they care, and old armchair skaters like us resent him for being so fucking annoying whenever he opens his mouth or put out a new """""idea""""" . I get the whole legend status shit, but i think it applies to people who look good on a picture sitting on a bench with shoes, pants and a tee shirt for sale. "Legend" status basically means you're kept on the team for modeling and you made your name into a brand so your pro model shoe sells.
Marc looks like a recovering drug addict and jeopardized his name in that unfortunate lakai break up. I don't see where the value is

it is?!

mj wouldn't be as remembered (only here on slap btw) for his annoying "idea" statements if it didn't need to be rehashed every few months on here whether or not he's said anything.  This topic just popped into OP's head, it wasn't like Marc Johnson said something new.

I don't think any "legend" is kept for modeling purposes and that's just fucking dumb.   is Vans trotting out Tony Alva to model clothes for young kids?  No company with any brains is marketing to the core demo by using middle aged men as models to market their wares. 

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2021, 04:48:50 PM »
MJ is just a socially awkward legend. Not his fault. Fight me.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »
It was good because he was in Crailtap, and Adidas didn't even have that
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Murray Hewitt

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2021, 09:20:30 PM »
Who's even fully on Adidas these days? I don't think they've updated their team pages for years. For all we know he could be pro-flow these days.

Notable people such as Diego, Mike Arnold, Heitor etc. All aren't on the team page and pretty sure got that official status.

https://www.adidas.com/us/skate-team

Murray Hewitt

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2021, 09:29:13 PM »
I miss early 2010's adidas. Amazing shoes and branding. Those tour videos were pinnacle.

SharkJohnson

• Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2021, 09:30:20 PM »
Mj's part in Stay Gold is enough to have a shoe sponsor forever

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2021, 09:34:10 PM »
Mj's part in Stay Gold is enough to have a shoe sponsor forever
Definitely not as good as Reynolds Fully Flared part tho.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2021, 10:02:42 PM »
I have a few thoughts for your consideration

1) the echo chamber that is Slap does not represent the majority of shoe-buying skaters. Most skaters i know either don't know what Slap is or look at me like I'm a member of some weird distasteful cult if i mention it around them. I don't think everyone hates him as much as y'all think.

2) he was quite sick not long ago, chronic pain and uncontrollable shaking if i recall, he may still be recovering from this.

3) he's Marc muthafuckin Johnson.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2021, 11:22:14 PM »
its a sport
Nope. It’s a marketing scheme. Enjoy the ride.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2021, 02:37:11 AM »
Most people who started skating in the past 9 years and definitively anyone who started in the past 5 years is asking "MJ? who?"
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2021, 04:50:36 AM »
100% sure Marc Johnson made more money off his emerica shoe than 80% of the posters on here will make in there life.

The 20% is reserved for dgkalis and isuck who’ve probably made wayyy more money than mj

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2021, 04:57:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

its a sport

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2021, 05:03:05 AM »
I'll defend MJ, and it is the same defense I use for Gino.

They look unique and fantastic, whenever they decide to skate. Of course I want more footy from them, but they are such special cases that nobody else can satisfy my need for seeing them skate. So even with the extreme small amount of skating we get from them (and is MJ really the worst case? he has definitely put out a lot of footage in his career, and we know he has had/have some serious battles), to me, it justifies them being sponsored.

...but yes MJ should do a lot less talking, and it was a nasty way he broke up with the Crail camp (as I have said before, I just want all the old school Crail people to hold a pizza party and decide to be friends again, who should definitely go out camping and skating non-life-threatening spots).

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2021, 05:06:48 AM »
On a more serious note: I love MJ, so I'm kind of sad that he doesn't put out more footage. I agree that he doesn't owe us anything at this point, but I would still love to see it, especially since I'm 100 per cent sure that he could very easily shut all the haters up if he just stepped on the board more. As to paying him: With his Seven Steps, Modus and Pretty Sweet (plus countless more) parts on his CV he definitely deserves a decent legacy treatment.   

Edit: I didn't know he was ill though. When was that recent park clip filmed? I hope that means he has recovered.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2021, 05:35:25 AM »
On a more serious note: I love MJ, so I'm kind of sad that he doesn't put out more footage. I agree that he doesn't owe us anything at this point, but I would still love to see it, especially since I'm 100 per cent sure that he could very easily shut all the haters up if he just stepped on the board more. As to paying him: With his Seven Steps, Modus and Pretty Sweet (plus countless more) parts on his CV he definitely deserves a decent legacy treatment.   

Edit: I didn't know he was ill though. When was that recent park clip filmed? I hope that means he has recovered.

All great parts and you didn’t even mention his 3 song SOTY winning Fully Flared part. 

Tilt Mode and Man Down are my personal faves as they hit the sweet spot of more MJ footage and just the right amount of fucking around after I got obsessed with him post Modus.

And let’s not forget his “surprise” part in Yeah Right 

Also a really good 411vm part in one of the Best Ofs

Crail used to be a place that no one left, then everyone started leaving.  Might not be totally on MJ