Author Topic: Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?  (Read 18042 times)

alex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
Re: Why Adidas still pay people like MJ ?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2021, 05:37:19 AM »
Who's even fully on Adidas these days? I don't think they've updated their team pages for years. For all we know he could be pro-flow these days.

Notable people such as Diego, Mike Arnold, Heitor etc. All aren't on the team page and pretty sure got that official status.

https://www.adidas.com/us/skate-team

I’d say tyshawn is probably the most prominent young pro fully on. Obviously scott Johnson is earning his paycheck by associating adidas with the supreme/fa/palace circles.

Also if we’re talking about mj’s sponsor worthy footage what about fully flared? Dude had 3(?) songs that part was great.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2021, 05:45:48 AM »
Do you think people go watch Fully Flared on Youtube and then think "damn that was great. Who's he skate for now? Oh, ADIDAS. I'm going to cop some of those ASAP". He does NOTHING for ADIDAS hence the topic of this thread.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2021, 05:53:59 AM »
Its possible that Adidas are afraid to get juiced

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2021, 06:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
On a more serious note: I love MJ, so I'm kind of sad that he doesn't put out more footage. I agree that he doesn't owe us anything at this point, but I would still love to see it, especially since I'm 100 per cent sure that he could very easily shut all the haters up if he just stepped on the board more. As to paying him: With his Seven Steps, Modus and Pretty Sweet (plus countless more) parts on his CV he definitely deserves a decent legacy treatment.   

Edit: I didn't know he was ill though. When was that recent park clip filmed? I hope that means he has recovered.
[close]

All great parts and you didn’t even mention his 3 song SOTY winning Fully Flared part. 

Tilt Mode and Man Down are my personal faves as they hit the sweet spot of more MJ footage and just the right amount of fucking around after I got obsessed with him post Modus.

And let’s not forget his “surprise” part in Yeah Right 

Also a really good 411vm part in one of the Best Ofs

Crail used to be a place that no one left, then everyone started leaving.  Might not be totally on MJ

Among those you mention I love Man Down in particular, might actually be my favourite of his. One that people often forget about is this one, which is also fantastic: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn-mKK3ajaA

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2021, 06:21:31 AM »
All kidding aside, MJ is an amazing skateboarder and I watch a lot of his parts often. It even gets me to ponder using Thunder trucks, because MJ definitely knows control. I've had 2 B&C decks, that were both awesome quality, I just like smaller boards (I think they occasionally do a 7.75 now though). Need more footage, less skits

thomascandia

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2021, 07:09:38 AM »
All kidding aside, MJ is an amazing skateboarder and I watch a lot of his parts often. It even gets me to ponder using Thunder trucks, because MJ definitely knows control. I've had 2 B&C decks, that were both awesome quality, I just like smaller boards (I think they occasionally do a 7.75 now though). Need more footage, less skits

Nobody here is asking for another 3 songs part ( which were useless, the first one with " goodbye horses" was enough to cemented his status of soty ), instead to wasted time for 10 minutes skits long.  Doesn't cost much effort go out in the street around your area, without go China or Europe and put toghetter an 2.30min relaxing part like Chico or Jb 2 years ago did for Thrasher. I hope he is working atvsomething like that instead to skate inside that fucking horrible looking in the screen warehouses.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
He could easily do what Reynolds is doing with his IG clips and I’d be all for it.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
I think MJ should get paid forever but even if there are people who I think don’t detach a paycheck, why would I (or you) care what companies pay people that are not part of your family?
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »
What is it about being in fully flared that makes these guys get all perfectionist and think people don't want to see them skate. Like MJ could do anything. He could ask kids at the skatepark like Chico does. Anything at all
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Shamalamalon

• Rep: -14
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2021, 05:31:33 PM »
Expand Quote
You little bitches become such mean girls whenever MJ comes up.   The guy has far surpassed the need to justify his sponsorship with his career output which was pretty damn consistent throughout 2 decades.   Is he an annoying interview?  Yeah!  But 99% of skateboarders interviewed are boring and have nothing to say, but there must be some reason outlets go to him for an interview.  I hardly think Adidas has leveraged their team rider budget giving MJ a legacy contract, so I don’t know what people are upset about other than just some excuse to bag on him because he’s been known to be a touch too high falutin’ in his latter years
[close]

its a sport
you're paid to perform. When you stop performing, people start wondering why you're still around. We all know MJ did some pretty cool stuff in the past, but kids don't know shit about nor do they care, and old armchair skaters like us resent him for being so fucking annoying whenever he opens his mouth or put out a new """""idea""""" . I get the whole legend status shit, but i think it applies to people who look good on a picture sitting on a bench with shoes, pants and a tee shirt for sale. "Legend" status basically means you're kept on the team for modeling and you made your name into a brand so your pro model shoe sells.
Marc looks like a recovering drug addict and jeopardized his name in that unfortunate lakai break up. I don't see where the value is

AHH I see, the issue is simple, some of us view it less like sport and more like art, which explains why you see no merit in MJs history.

I'm sure the Gonz must piss you the fuck off, he can't even skate to MJs level so why pay him?
What part has he put out for Adidas recently?
Shouldn't he be put out to pasture too if MJ can't cut it?

He certainly does not fill your 1 requirement for legend status, which, according to you, must look good sitting on a bench in shoes? Which is a really strange comment honestly.

I strongly suggest you don't get the legend status thing if that is what you think it means.
[URL=http://s109.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »
If only Adidas could keep up with all of his ideas and progression.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2021, 07:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You little bitches become such mean girls whenever MJ comes up.   The guy has far surpassed the need to justify his sponsorship with his career output which was pretty damn consistent throughout 2 decades.   Is he an annoying interview?  Yeah!  But 99% of skateboarders interviewed are boring and have nothing to say, but there must be some reason outlets go to him for an interview.  I hardly think Adidas has leveraged their team rider budget giving MJ a legacy contract, so I don’t know what people are upset about other than just some excuse to bag on him because he’s been known to be a touch too high falutin’ in his latter years
[close]

its a sport
you're paid to perform. When you stop performing, people start wondering why you're still around. We all know MJ did some pretty cool stuff in the past, but kids don't know shit about nor do they care, and old armchair skaters like us resent him for being so fucking annoying whenever he opens his mouth or put out a new """""idea""""" . I get the whole legend status shit, but i think it applies to people who look good on a picture sitting on a bench with shoes, pants and a tee shirt for sale. "Legend" status basically means you're kept on the team for modeling and you made your name into a brand so your pro model shoe sells.
Marc looks like a recovering drug addict and jeopardized his name in that unfortunate lakai break up. I don't see where the value is
[close]

AHH I see, the issue is simple, some of us view it less like sport and more like art, which explains why you see no merit in MJs history.

I'm sure the Gonz must piss you the fuck off, he can't even skate to MJs level so why pay him?

He certainly does not fill your 1 requirement for legend status, which, according to you, must look good sitting on a bench in shoes? Which is a really strange comment honestly.

I strongly suggest you don't get the legend status thing if that is what you think it means.

Gonz is a cutie, he looks so good sitting on a bench in shoes

Shamalamalon

• Rep: -14
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

its a sport
[close]

[close]

I stand corrected
[URL=http://s109.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2021, 10:33:06 PM »
Probably tired of paying a 40 year old guy to drive around LA spray painting mattresses

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

its a sport
[close]

[close]

[close]

I stand corrected

I don't really get the point you're trying to make because Gonz gets tons of coverage and heavily reps the brand. MJ's only output for like the last five years is giving speeches crying about Fully Flared.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2021, 07:25:33 AM »
He was probably one of the very last of his kind to sign a deal for decent money. Nobody's paying for legacy pros anymore. I'll be surprised if anybody that isn't famous in a multi-million kind of followers way gets paid a dime by the big two or three a few years form now.

You need to just look over at Vans to know your wrong about the legacy pros.

https://www.vans.com/team.html

McCrank just got added to the roster recently.

I think I used to be against the whole legacy pro's thing, but now I'm older in my 30's and I'm like "damn I'd love to buy a McCrank signature shoe...or a older legend's board...like the Salad King himself, Eric Dressen.

I don't think I'd ever buy a Plan B deck, but I kinda want a Sheffey deck for my wall

***Also, update, in terms of legends still getting boards. I'm currently skating a Gonz deck

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »
I'm old, and love old guys too. I'm sure MJ's contract is the kind that pays for his house, car, etc. and keeps him from having to have a "real" job. Dressen is a legend, but he's not getting paid pro-athlete bux by Vans to be on their squad. Vans sells $4B a year, and it's awesome that they trickle some back to guys like McCrank, but those contracts are not the kind I'm talking about.

Expand Quote
He was probably one of the very last of his kind to sign a deal for decent money. Nobody's paying for legacy pros anymore. I'll be surprised if anybody that isn't famous in a multi-million kind of followers way gets paid a dime by the big two or three a few years form now.
[close]

You need to just look over at Vans to know your wrong about the legacy pros.

https://www.vans.com/team.html

McCrank just got added to the roster recently.

I think I used to be against the whole legacy pro's thing, but now I'm older in my 30's and I'm like "damn I'd love to buy a McCrank signature shoe...or a older legend's board...like the Salad King himself, Eric Dressen.

I don't think I'd ever buy a Plan B deck, but I kinda want a Sheffey deck for my wall

***Also, update, in terms of legends still getting boards. I'm currently skating a Gonz deck

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »

Speaking only for myself here, but I would gladly buy ANYTHING that handsome gentleman is selling.
The intrigue, the mystic, the mess. I love it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »

Agreed, and it's not just legacy pros. It's been pretty hard to demonstrate any sort of return on investment for athletes - ones *much* bigger than any pro skater short of Tony Hawk. Shoe companies used to sponsor thousands of beginning athletes in hopes on landing on one Michael Jordan, but now the reality is that once the next Michael Jordan appears, Nike or adidas will just cut that person a giant check to join their brand. There's no reason for them to invest that heavily, unless you happen to spot another 6'9" 17 year old Lebron James

Anyway, I think that the era of the big shoe contracts in winding up, and not just for the pros. Nike, adidas and New Balance will be at the leading edge, but even a maker like Vans will probably have a hard time adjusting. In a few years, the only pros making a living from a shoe are going to be Nyjah, TJ, and other pros with enough crossover appeal to justify the expense. Honestly, probably people like Nora, who are hugely appealing to non-skaters and non-traditional skaters (where the industry needs to head in order to grow)
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

its a sport
[close]

[close]

[close]

I stand corrected
[close]

I don't really get the point you're trying to make because Gonz gets tons of coverage and heavily reps the brand. MJ's only output for like the last five years is giving speeches crying about Fully Flared.

The opinions here are so detached from reality. Marc Johnson doesn't film much, doesn't have a huge social media presence, isn't associated with the New York art scene and several of the most popular brands in the world. I seriously doubt that your average 17 year old skater even knows who MJ is (which is a shame, I agree). adidas does not run a charity for legendary skateboarders, and the shareholders of adidas do not care that, fifteen years ago, Marc Johnson put out an incredible part. These people are hired to sell shoes. If they don't sell shoes, they have no value to the company.

If you have a problem with this, your issue is with the global economic order (and it damn well should be)
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2021, 02:38:53 PM »
Adidas missed an opportunity to run a commercial where the CEO of the company gets a memo about how they now are the official shoe sponsor of MJ. Thinking it's referencing the more famous MJ, Michael Jordan, he throws a huge celebration, pops all his nice champagne bottles, and calls Nike talking shit that he's about to take all their market share. When he finally goes to meet MJ to officially welcome him to the brand, he realizes the memo was referencing this pasty, bald skateboarder who won't shut up about metaphysics.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
Adidas missed an opportunity to run a commercial where the CEO of the company gets a memo about how they now are the official shoe sponsor of MJ. Thinking it's referencing the more famous MJ, Michael Jordan, he throws a huge celebration, pops all his nice champagne bottles, and calls Nike talking shit that he's about to take all their market share. When he finally goes to meet MJ to officially welcome him to the brand, he realizes the memo was referencing this pasty, bald skateboarder who won't shut up about metaphysics.
Brilliant

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Brilliant

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

its a sport
[close]

[close]

[close]

I stand corrected
[close]

[close]

The opinions here are so detached from reality. Marc Johnson doesn't film much, doesn't have a huge social media presence, isn't associated with the New York art scene and several of the most popular brands in the world. I seriously doubt that your average 17 year old skater even knows who MJ is (which is a shame, I agree). adidas does not run a charity for legendary skateboarders, and the shareholders of adidas do not care that, fifteen years ago, Marc Johnson put out an incredible part. These people are hired to sell shoes. If they don't sell shoes, they have no value to the company.

If you have a problem with this, your issue is with the global economic order (and it damn well should be)

Pretty sure the shareholders aren’t alerted to any riders coming or going from the skate team.   

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2021, 04:41:03 PM »

Someone needs to make this a reality.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2021, 05:42:03 PM »
Adidas missed an opportunity to run a commercial where the CEO of the company gets a memo about how they now are the official shoe sponsor of MJ. Thinking it's referencing the more famous MJ, Michael Jordan, he throws a huge celebration, pops all his nice champagne bottles, and calls Nike talking shit that he's about to take all their market share. When he finally goes to meet MJ to officially welcome him to the brand, he realizes the memo was referencing That very moment a blisteringly drunken Marc bursts through the double door dressed as a serial killer holding masses of scrunched up napkins with ideas scrawled on them. The CEO then realises this pasty, bald skateboarder who won't shut up about metaphysics is in fact MJ.

eh, maybe too far? Made me laugh to begin with tbh haha

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »
MJ, one of the best street skater ever, still keep telling on his intws how useless is filming a full lenght videopart nowdays, cause people is gonna forget in one second. 

Since he is been on Adidas ( 2016), he got less than 10 clips on 2 the team edits, and seems he is not keen too released another banging part, like  his last one on Pretty Sweet ( 2012 ), so l don't see any good reasons to paying this kind of ghost, unless they have changed his contract to flow status like Chico ( despite he still used too filming good videoparts and several instaclip more than MJ ).   

I don't have time to look through this whole thread but I just want to say that I really admire how absolutely fucked up you said and spelled everything right here. I'm going to assume that some nerd ass has roasted you for it but this is really something Slap needs more of - poorly conceived thread topics written like dogshit *chefs kiss*

conqueso

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2021, 07:48:38 PM »

2) he was quite sick not long ago, chronic pain and uncontrollable shaking if i recall, he may still be recovering from this.

Ive heard of this, I think its called alcoholism

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2021, 05:38:40 AM »
Marc gets paid because he is a living legend. He has had an amazing career and contributed greatly to skateboarding. Style, trick selection, constant innovation are next to none.  He is now almost in his mid forties so I don’t expect him to be filming crazy parts anymore, he doesn’t need to. I also imagine his personal expectations for his skating are through the roof, so if he does decide to release something I am sure it will be stellar.