Author Topic: Progression of board sizes for pro's through the years  (Read 3872 times)

Molte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
Progression of board sizes for pro's through the years
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:41:32 AM »
Does anybody keep track on specific pro's progression of board sizes through the years?

I got to think about it, as I saw BA's front blunt at Hubba in another thread. I'm not sure, but that photo is probably from around 98 or something, and his board could look like a size 8" which would be relatively large at the time, and I'd guess he would ride a 8.5 today.

I know, I'm just throwing numbers out there, without knowing anything concrete, but that's the point of the thread. It would be funny to see, if you could keep track on which pro's have been following trends of boards sizes going up, and which ones still ride the same same size as back then.

It's nerdy stuff and hard to keep track of, but interesting non the less. I can't contribute with anything my self, other than guesses at this point, but of course I'll chip in when I find anything myself.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Progression of board sizes for pro's through the years
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:45:53 AM »
I've got a 2000 buyer's guide magazine where pros talk about this and most were riding 7.625 or 7.75 BUT Rowley was on 8, and BA I think was 8.5. Comparatively, I've got a mag from 06 where it seemed more 50/50 . Some 7.75 people then some 8 and 8.25.

Edit: BA said 8.25 - 8.75

Also think Reynolds and Arto were riding 8 or so back then

aksanaom

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 04:55:28 AM »
BA said on the nine club that he skates the 9in orange eagle shape now.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:14:50 AM »
i think i read that cardiel skated super skinny decks for a dude who skates so burly. like not above 7.75. no idea if this is true or stayed that way until the accident.

jamie thomas in misled youth seemed to skate a comparatively wide deck at the time. looked like an 8 or 8.25 at least back then to me.

dave bachinsky has been on 7.4-7.6 forever.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:54:05 AM »
i think i read that cardiel skated super skinny decks for a dude who skates so burly. like not above 7.75. no idea if this is true or stayed that way until the accident.

jamie thomas in misled youth seemed to skate a comparatively wide deck at the time. looked like an 8 or 8.25 at least back then to me.

I was looking at the 40 yr Thrasher cover of Cardiel boosting the hip (a la sight unseen) and I was thinking to myself what a tiny board he is riding. It looks like half the width of his foot.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I was looking at the 40 yr Thrasher cover of Cardiel boosting the hip (a la sight unseen) and I was thinking to myself what a tiny board he is riding. It looks like half the width of his foot.

yeah, in that part you can see it pretty good, his board looks a bit monster truckish, with the relatively big and wide wheels but his decks look rather pointy and slim as far as one can make it out.

i got my first wide board relatively early due to misled youth and what i said about jamie thomas. adrian lopez also had sort of a sick looking setup in that video. big wheels, wide board. those parts made me want to skate bigger wheels and a wider board. then i was skating 8s for a while as far as i could find em, most shops would only carry 7 7/8. later on i sized down to 7.75 again. i think i've been skating 8 plus size since at least 2006.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »
around mosaic when 7.4 wenning boards were selling out and not considered minis, i remember reading a reynolds interview saying he had custom 8.25's made for him with his graphics. because nobody skated anything above an 8 at that time and even that was big.

now if i skate anything under 8.75 it feels small.  BA has been living and skating in jersey with my boys the past few years, skates the 9x33 ah shape btw.

free max b
FREE MAX B

Molte

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
I've got a 2000 buyer's guide magazine where pros talk about this and most were riding 7.625 or 7.75 BUT Rowley was on 8, and BA I think was 8.5. Comparatively, I've got a mag from 06 where it seemed more 50/50 . Some 7.75 people then some 8 and 8.25.

Don't mind bringing in some actual numbers and names. That would be sick!

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
Does anybody keep track on specific pro's progression of board sizes through the years?

I got to think about it, as I saw BA's front blunt at Hubba in another thread. I'm not sure, but that photo is probably from around 98 or something, and his board could look like a size 8" which would be relatively large at the time, and I'd guess he would ride a 8.5 today.

I know, I'm just throwing numbers out there, without knowing anything concrete, but that's the point of the thread. It would be funny to see, if you could keep track on which pro's have been following trends of boards sizes going up, and which ones still ride the same same size as back then.

It's nerdy stuff and hard to keep track of, but interesting non the less. I can't contribute with anything my self, other than guesses at this point, but of course I'll chip in when I find anything myself.

I'm almost sure that that board is 8.5. It's a Think Matt Pailes board. This was the time when massive boards and big wheels were in vogue.

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'll mess with it when I get home from work, I keep that mag handy in my office at home. There's a weird batch of pros in the 2000 one: Danny Way, Colin McKay, Chad Fernandez (7 7/8), Rowley, BA, Reese Forbes (7 5/8), and a few others. I have a few more after 2000 that are also handy. I think in other mags (Thrasher probably) I read the thing about Arto and Reynolds.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
I’ve searched out a lot of info in the past about BA’s setups out of curiosity as a taller guy myself. There’s an interview with him and cardiel just talking and I believe this is where he says it, but it could be another video. He says that he was pretty sure his front blunt at hubba was an 8.25 because that’s the biggest he could find at the time. Nowadays based on things he has said and his photos and ig clips he is mostly riding the 9 inch orange eagle although he has also said his “normal” setup is the antihero 8.6 shape. He’s also pictured a lot on the white eagle which is 8.75. Dude is talented enough to skate whatever it seems like which is sick

Cardiel I have heard always skated 7.5 with Indy 129s

Reynolds is interesting to me because he seems to fluctuate a lot more than many pros. Seems like guys either stuck with what they started with and were used to or settled on around 8.25. Reynolds is on record on everything from 8-8.5 but always 139 trucks. I’m also assuming similar wb. Probably makes it easy to switch sizes when you don’t mess much with length and wb and keep same trucks and wheels

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »
I remember a Chico quote from a TWS buyers guide from the late 2000s saying “for me, 7.75 is the best all around size” or something to that effect.
He went from skating that size to skating..... well, just check his IG to see what weird size/shape he’s skating this week.

Also, Wade D went from skating 7.4s and 7.5s all throughout his It’s Official part to being on an 8.1 now.

P-Rod also used to be on a 7.75 in the 2000s and early 2010s but gradually moved up and is now on an 8.25 now.

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 10:19:21 AM »
Man, 7.4s seemed to be the magic sauce back in the day. 

Seems like today 7.75" is the new 7.4", 8" is the 7.5", 8.25" is the 7.75", and 8.5" is the new 8". Crazy how times change

ballintoohard

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 10:43:52 AM »
BA used to skate the Toy Machine fists decks exclusively, which came in 8, 8.5, and 8.75 on occasion. A friend back then was working for Tum Yeto and I’d see BA often at skateparks in the Bay and always ask him. He said he’d prefer the 8.5, but they’d often send him the other sizes and put them on the same trucks.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »
I remember a Chico quote from a TWS buyers guide from the late 2000s saying “for me, 7.75 is the best all around size” or something to that effect.
He went from skating that size to skating..... well, just check his IG to see what weird size/shape he’s skating this week.

Also, Wade D went from skating 7.4s and 7.5s all throughout his It’s Official part to being on an 8.1 now.

P-Rod also used to be on a 7.75 in the 2000s and early 2010s but gradually moved up and is now on an 8.25 now.

last I saw he was skating a literal 2x4 haha

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 11:49:46 AM »
Genuinely incredible how easy it is for BA to throw switch 360 flips on a board that size, especially with his being something of an elder statesman at this point. Maybe wider boards became more popular as new shapes and concaves emerged about 10-15 years back, making it easier to do more technical skating with more wood underfoot? 

I thought I was riding boards on the wider side by skating 7.875"s through probably 2002-3.  I ripped on my friends who skated 8" boards like they were riding a whole ass sheet of plywood, even though my first board (in 1998) was a shop deck that must have been 8.5".  (I still learned to ollie and kickflip on that fucker.)  I recently saw a kid at the park riding what appeared to be a 10" uncut blank with Indy 215s, which in my opinion is effectively riding an entire sheet of plywood, so it appears the times and circumstances have caught up to my earlier perceptions.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »
I’ve searched out a lot of info in the past about BA’s setups out of curiosity as a taller guy myself. There’s an interview with him and cardiel just talking and I believe this is where he says it, but it could be another video. He says that he was pretty sure his front blunt at hubba was an 8.25 because that’s the biggest he could find at the time. Nowadays based on things he has said and his photos and ig clips he is mostly riding the 9 inch orange eagle although he has also said his “normal” setup is the antihero 8.6 shape. He’s also pictured a lot on the white eagle which is 8.75. Dude is talented enough to skate whatever it seems like which is sick

Cardiel I have heard always skated 7.5 with Indy 129s

Reynolds is interesting to me because he seems to fluctuate a lot more than many pros. Seems like guys either stuck with what they started with and were used to or settled on around 8.25. Reynolds is on record on everything from 8-8.5 but always 139 trucks. I’m also assuming similar wb. Probably makes it easy to switch sizes when you don’t mess much with length and wb and keep same trucks and wheels

that's fucking nuts. I feel like I'm going to fall over standing on something like that. he's not a tall dude, ya?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

ballintoohard

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 12:45:08 PM »
BA has size 13.5 or 14 feet and he's 6 foot 4. Wheelbases were not very big back then and boards were often shorter, so it probably felt fine.

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 01:33:35 PM »
I skate 7.75... I can skate whatever size, I just choose to use a smaller board

people are too hipster nowdays, mothafuckas talk like board size is a football team, and the discussion looks like people discussing football in a bar lol who gives a fuck

I skated with alex carolino here in br, he skates 7.6, a homie that skates my park uses almost a 9, who cares?

a board size will not make you skate better or worse, theres no proven science behind it.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 02:33:12 PM »
The way the trucks looks so small next to the wheels made me guess about the 8"

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »
2000:
McCrank 7.75-7.88
Chad Fernandez 7 7/8
Ethan Fowler: "a little but under 8"
Alan Peterson 8
Tony Hawk almost 8.25
Colin McKay 7.75 (street)
Reese Forbes 7 5/8
BA 8.25-8.75
Rowley just below 8 (but talks about riding 8s)
Caballero 7 7/8
Kalis 7.5

2005:
Duffel 8.5
Ragdoll 8.25
Sheckler 7.5 (15 years old)
Senn 8
Willy Santos 8.25
Barletta 7.4
Markovich "really skinny boards"

2006:
Ramondetta 8.125
Busenitz 7.75
Arto "a little over 8"
Jake Brown 8.25
Rupp 7 5/8
Janoski "just under 8"
Paul Shier 7.75
Romero "just under 8"
Biebel 7 5/8
Omar Salazar 7.75
Clint Peterson 7.75
Tosh 7.75

2007:
Tim Tim 7.5
Templeton 8.25
Berry 7.9
McCrank 7.8125
Salazar 7.85
Duffel 8.25
Heath 8
Kenny Anderson-custom (no number)
Hsu 7.6
Stehr 7.875
Hassan 8
Sandoval 8.25
Melcher 8
Romero 7.88
Danny Montoya 7.625
Ave 7.75
Austin Stephens 7.75
Rob G 8
Staba 8.38
Dressen 8.25
Brockman 7.875
Arto 8
Marks 7.625
Cobra Cole 8.5
Herman 8.19
Don "the Nuge" Nguyen 8.25
Tosh 7.875
MJ "custom", mentions thunder 145 so I assume under 8
Wilt 7.5
Adelmo Jr. 7.625
M. Ball 8.19
Horsey Taylor 7.82
A. Lopez 7.75 - 8
Braydon 7.88
Harmony 7.875
Senn 8
Sumner 8.25
P Rod 7.5 - 7.625
Rattray 8
Kalis 7.5
Greathouse 7.75
Carroll 7.875
Mumford 8
Atchley 7.5
Jamie 7.875
Danny Way 7.75 street 8 vert 8.25 mega
Jereme 7.75
Daewon 7.6
Stevie 7.56
Zered 7.65

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 05:50:07 PM »
Once again, Corey Duffel ahead of his time

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 11:49:55 PM »
What always tripped me out is the fact that most of the vert legends started out on really bulky fat pig shaped boards such as Hawk on the old Powell Boards etc. Then they went on in the 90s with smaller shapes with noses but still in the 9.5-10' range.
 And nowadays they ride very small (8 - 8.5) boards on vert.

I can see the benefit a smaller board gives you on street but I always found it very hard to slim down my board size. It was always easier to increase the size of your board rather than slimming it down.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 03:43:54 AM »
I skate 7.75... I can skate whatever size, I just choose to use a smaller board

people are too hipster nowdays, mothafuckas talk like board size is a football team, and the discussion looks like people discussing football in a bar lol who gives a fuck

I skated with alex carolino here in br, he skates 7.6, a homie that skates my park uses almost a 9, who cares?

a board size will not make you skate better or worse, theres no proven science behind it.

I need to rethink my entire approach to life now as I've been too hipster and not enough Alex Caralino? Thanks for getting me back on course @joaopedro 
Anyways, I tried to find it online and failed miserably, but that old Foundation ad where a young Heath Kirchart is doing the first kf front board down a rail (maybe). and the ad describes him riding an 8.5 tripped me out.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
I remember that Heath ad. The board looked enormous for sure.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
Arto said in some old Finnish interview he rode 8.5” blanks from some other woodshop with flip sticker on it because their woodshop didn’t made boards wide enough for him.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
who cares?

Everyone in this thread you decided to open and post something stupid in, who have gathered to discuss the board sizes of professional skateboarders on a skateboard forum about skateboarding
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Molte

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
2000:
McCrank 7.75-7.88
Chad Fernandez 7 7/8
Ethan Fowler: "a little but under 8"
Alan Peterson 8
Tony Hawk almost 8.25
Colin McKay 7.75 (street)
Reese Forbes 7 5/8
BA 8.25-8.75
Rowley just below 8 (but talks about riding 8s)
Caballero 7 7/8
Kalis 7.5

2005:
Duffel 8.5
Ragdoll 8.25
Sheckler 7.5 (15 years old)
Senn 8
Willy Santos 8.25
Barletta 7.4
Markovich "really skinny boards"

2006:
Ramondetta 8.125
Busenitz 7.75
Arto "a little over 8"
Jake Brown 8.25
Rupp 7 5/8
Janoski "just under 8"
Paul Shier 7.75
Romero "just under 8"
Biebel 7 5/8
Omar Salazar 7.75
Clint Peterson 7.75
Tosh 7.75

2007:
Tim Tim 7.5
Templeton 8.25
Berry 7.9
McCrank 7.8125
Salazar 7.85
Duffel 8.25
Heath 8
Kenny Anderson-custom (no number)
Hsu 7.6
Stehr 7.875
Hassan 8
Sandoval 8.25
Melcher 8
Romero 7.88
Danny Montoya 7.625
Ave 7.75
Austin Stephens 7.75
Rob G 8
Staba 8.38
Dressen 8.25
Brockman 7.875
Arto 8
Marks 7.625
Cobra Cole 8.5
Herman 8.19
Don "the Nuge" Nguyen 8.25
Tosh 7.875
MJ "custom", mentions thunder 145 so I assume under 8
Wilt 7.5
Adelmo Jr. 7.625
M. Ball 8.19
Horsey Taylor 7.82
A. Lopez 7.75 - 8
Braydon 7.88
Harmony 7.875
Senn 8
Sumner 8.25
P Rod 7.5 - 7.625
Rattray 8
Kalis 7.5
Greathouse 7.75
Carroll 7.875
Mumford 8
Atchley 7.5
Jamie 7.875
Danny Way 7.75 street 8 vert 8.25 mega
Jereme 7.75
Daewon 7.6
Stevie 7.56
Zered 7.65
Have a gnar!

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 11:33:52 AM »
Ben Degros just received P-Rod's current setup in his latest video and it was an 8.25: https://youtu.be/zOxBDReN0po

10-11 years ago, Paul was riding 7.75
https://youtu.be/6YjkUKm4aMU

but was riding 8.1 as recent as 5 years ago
https://youtu.be/22-ovj53Jjc

Sounds exactly like my board progression throughout the years.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 11:44:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I'll mess with it when I get home from work, I keep that mag handy in my office at home. There's a weird batch of pros in the 2000 one: Danny Way, Colin McKay, Chad Fernandez (7 7/8), Rowley, BA, Reese Forbes (7 5/8), and a few others. I have a few more after 2000 that are also handy. I think in other mags (Thrasher probably) I read the thing about Arto and Reynolds.

I remember an interview where Reese said he only like small boards and short tails so he could pop super quick. Definitely worked for him.