Author Topic: Dead Dave is pro  (Read 4945 times)

leonthotsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Dead Dave is pro
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
i feel like story is that heroin is named as such as a reference to Fos' straight edge-ness and skateboarding being his heroin/drug of choice. not that anyone could tell that by just seeing the word in the wild. i used to work in a skate shop and had a lot of older people come in flipping out, sometimes tearing up about seeing the word heroin out the front. it can make for some awkward situations - i was also once pulled over by the police because of the heroin sticker on my car. they wanted me to take it off and searched my car for drugs - pretty bizarre if i sold heroin out of my car and had a heroin sticker to advertise the fact. i didn't take the sticker off but the car blew up a week later. i would not put a heroin sticker on my car again...

dead dave is cool. he feels like a more prolific craig questions.
[close]

Good post.

Yeah, it is awkward. Like you say, Fos is likely using it as a metaphor, but I just can’t back the insensitivity of having an opioid plastered on my board. The stories you’ve said of people crying upset is just what I’m talking about, it’s distressing. Fentanyl Skateboards anyone? Even if it’s a metaphor? I think not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CcAMIB5Zw
The fact you're saying it is insensitive even if it is a metaphor is a pretty invalid argument because you are just ignoring the part where you are saying it is a metaphor lol, also you mention he is "likely using it as a metaphor" change "likely" to "actually" and you would be correct. I also assume he has named in in a punk-influenced where immediate offense would be taken from people outside the scene looking in, but I could be wrong on that. The problem with most things today is people don't look deeper into things and just instantly see red and want it to conform or disappear

Nicki

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 02:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i feel like story is that heroin is named as such as a reference to Fos' straight edge-ness and skateboarding being his heroin/drug of choice. not that anyone could tell that by just seeing the word in the wild. i used to work in a skate shop and had a lot of older people come in flipping out, sometimes tearing up about seeing the word heroin out the front. it can make for some awkward situations - i was also once pulled over by the police because of the heroin sticker on my car. they wanted me to take it off and searched my car for drugs - pretty bizarre if i sold heroin out of my car and had a heroin sticker to advertise the fact. i didn't take the sticker off but the car blew up a week later. i would not put a heroin sticker on my car again...

[close]

Good post.

Yeah, it is awkward. Like you say, Fos is likely using it as a metaphor, but I just can’t back the insensitivity of having an opioid plastered on my board. The stories you’ve said of people crying upset is just what I’m talking about, it’s distressing. Fentanyl Skateboards anyone? Even if it’s a metaphor? I think not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsQIaOsZJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

[close]

Hey, just had to fix the YouTube link, it’s the right one now.

MORT

• Rep: -2
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 05:37:44 AM »
Damn y’all make Fos give Frank Shaw the boot and now you’re going after the name of the company? CHILL

cky enthusiast

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2021, 05:41:39 AM »
i can’t wait til slap forces a name change and then all my friends who OD’d will come back from the dead

Panettone

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2021, 05:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good post.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsQIaOsZJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

It must be truly upsetting going through life as sensitive as you.

And before you say it i have personally gone through a bad bad drug addiction and have many friends that have to... And lost.

But c'mon. It's clearly metaphor. It's so obvious.

Are you really shitting on the company and dead dave going pro.

Congrats Dave!

BAGHEAD CREW

• Rep: 9
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2021, 06:06:58 AM »
Fos always stated since the beginning of Heroin that it was used as a metaphor for his own love for skateboarding. You can define plenty of things as “heroin” or “heroine”, it’s really not that deep.  8)
@bagheadcrew

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2021, 06:24:56 AM »
if they change the name of their company to multi-vitamins I will support them exclusively

cky enthusiast

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2021, 06:25:35 AM »
3 healthy meals and a good nights rest shredboards

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2021, 06:35:11 AM »
i can’t wait til slap forces a name change and then all my friends who OD’d will come back from the dead

Lol

Funny
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
3 healthy meals and a good nights rest shredboards

Dead Dave now pro for 3 Hots and a Cot in Fos font.

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2021, 07:54:04 AM »
Kinda don't like Dead Dave. He's fucking good, but everything he films just feels deliberately weird. Craig Scott seems to be genuine in what he does, and he talks about his obsession with 80's skateboarding etc, but Dead Dave just seems off.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2021, 08:07:20 AM »
that stockwell scene looks so cool. i was completely ignorant until i saw snelling in that adidas UK edit and was blown away- not to gas em but def doing something super orig. (i think)

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2021, 08:19:12 AM »
as someone who has struggled with opioids before...

its really not that deep

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
Change the name to Pangolin skateboards

Phosphoresence

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »
He's fucking good
is he though? this type of skating is ‘different’ but not much of it seems very difficult. if the skating is different does that mean skill level does not matter?

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
Stoked for him, his parts in Funeral and Earth Goblin were sick.
I was talking to Forde (Baghead Crew) today and he seems like a rad dude.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2021, 10:19:04 AM »
Sorry...I just can't back this...

Drinking Bud in Sheffield that is.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »
I love the shape and graphic if I wasn’t broke as shit I’d cop. Dave is mad fun to watch hope I can skate with these dudes one day 

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:49 AM »
Sorry...I just can't back this...

Drinking Bud in Sheffield that is.

Yeah man I copped that ....

I'm Irish so pretty much the same as UK when it comes to beer.

Why on earth they drinking Bud? Literally the last thing id ever buy. I've never seen anyone drink it. Weird.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2021, 11:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good post.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CcAMIB5Zw
[close]
The fact you're saying it is insensitive even if it is a metaphor is a pretty invalid argument because you are just ignoring the part where you are saying it is a metaphor lol, also you mention he is "likely using it as a metaphor" change "likely" to "actually" and you would be correct. I also assume he has named in in a punk-influenced where immediate offense would be taken from people outside the scene looking in, but I could be wrong on that. The problem with most things today is people don't look deeper into things and just instantly see red and want it to conform or disappear

That punk rock influenced, outside looking in bit is the same argument used regarding swastikas and shit. Not saying you're necessarily wrong but I live by what Joe Strummer said in 1999 punk rock means EXEMPLARY MANNERS TO YOUR FELLOW HUMAN BEING. Fuck being an asshole, what you pricks thought it was twenty years ago. In all subsets of skateboarding we've got a bunch of active users, people in recovery, and a whole ton of fallen skaters due to dope/opioids and folks bringing this up has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to look deeper, because believe me, we're all feeling deep pain.

With that, dude seems like he's having fun and is doing tricks that I'm not going to try, but after watching 3 clips, I feel like I'm watching 80s videos and I'd rather not. dude seems to be good though and can rip
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:24:02 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

BAGHEAD CREW

• Rep: 9
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2021, 04:33:47 PM »
Stoked for him, his parts in Funeral and Earth Goblin were sick.
I was talking to Forde (Baghead Crew) today and he seems like a rad dude.

🥰🥰🥰🥰 :-* :-* :-* :-*
@bagheadcrew

doublesteveburger

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »
alive steve is stoked

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2021, 10:55:12 AM »
Damn you know one day skaters will follow COVID precautions but until then

pro as fuck i guess

Are english people still on lockdown or something
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
Kinda don't like Dead Dave. He's fucking good, but everything he films just feels deliberately weird. Craig Scott seems to be genuine in what he does, and he talks about his obsession with 80's skateboarding etc, but Dead Dave just seems off.

Dead Dave is the same - if you go back on his insta a bit he has mad posts honoring the 80's skaters he's been inspired by. He's a big fan of Tim Jackson which got me extra stoked on him because I've always loved Tim Jackson and considered his part in Risk It one of my favorite 80's parts

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2021, 02:26:50 PM »
If Dead Dave was on REAL it would take exactly 85 years for him to turn Pro....facts

Great work turning him Pro Fos...the dude is so fun to watch skate

chrisskates808

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
heroine is dope
[close]
I would be 500% more likely to cop a board if FOS added an "e" to the end. That 9" double shovel looks dreamy
[close]

+1 100% agree. I would never ever purchase any product by this brand, completely because of it’s name. It’s bizarre to me that of all the reconsiders/name change/logo change, this upsetting, tone deaf and really insensitive name just coasts along in skating. More bizarre with the lives lost/ruined by hard drugs in the skating community. Not funny, not cool, not edgy. Fuck heroin.

I don’t have anything against them but I remembered one time in HS, I was skating a Heroin deck. When I brought my board to school, my math teacher looked at it. I felt a bit awkward but he did say “crazy name for a deck company”.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 01:15:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn you know one day skaters will follow COVID precautions but until then

pro as fuck i guess
[close]

Are english people still on lockdown or something

Yeah dude, I mean to little too late but it’s way better than fingers in the ear going LALALALA
listen to cosmic psychos

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 02:23:21 AM »
Fell victim to the Mutant shape about half a year ago and I just ordered three of the Dead Dave boards.
Nicest dude I've ever met. No cool-guy shit going on at all with this guy

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2021, 05:37:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dead Dave is the same - if you go back on his insta a bit he has mad posts honoring the 80's skaters he's been inspired by. He's a big fan of Tim Jackson which got me extra stoked on him because I've always loved Tim Jackson and considered his part in Risk It one of my favorite 80's parts

The Tim Jackson thing seems so obvious now you mention it, I'm a bit ashamed I didn't pick up on it haha. Just goes to show I need to do a bit more lurking before I go off spouting my opinion.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.