Author Topic: Poolroom Skateboards - Durrant, Winter, Bo Reid, Nathan Jackson +  (Read 4516 times)

matty_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: Poolroom Skateboards - Durrant, Winter, Bo Reid, Nathan Jackson +
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 07:34:38 PM »
I don’t really like the name either bit too contrived for me

Those guys rip though

Yeah Pete, that Kurt winter stussy part is all time
The whole video’s good

listen to cosmic psychos

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 08:57:58 PM »
i'm bugged out by them using 'poolroom' as one word and two words [pool room] already before really even getting started. and yeah, name is contrived - it's already annoying seeing people make the "straight to the pool room" comments on insta. the gerry lopez styled boards do look cool, but will be interesting to see if they can build an interesting brand that has any uniqueness. not wanting/trying to hate, but as the day goes on, this seems weaker and weaker to me. but again, cool to see australian dudes on australian companies.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 10:16:51 PM »

Anyone know what woodshop??

I asked about dimensions, distribution and woodshop...

If this is any indication, it is through 4128, as per their Instagram post, so most likely the same "secret" wood as Parliament Shop decks and other good quality product from them - had a few of them pass through my hands, and am familiar with it but if they are not going to say, I am not going to speculate.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Nicki

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2021, 10:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote

Anyone know what woodshop??

[close]

I asked about dimensions, distribution and woodshop...

If this is any indication, it is through 4128, as per their Instagram post, so most likely the same "secret" wood as Parliament Shop decks and other good quality product from them - had a few of them pass through my hands, and am familiar with it but if they are not going to say, I am not going to speculate.

Thanks for reply - looks like I’m not in on the secret. Nevermind, maybe I’ll see one in a shop one day the check it out.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »

Thanks for reply - looks like I’m not in on the secret. Nevermind, maybe I’ll see one in a shop one day the check it out.

Going back over Instagram posts, I have seen others comment "BBS" on one post from one shop, but it is still unknown if it is actually BBS or something very similar (eg Clutch make boards that are almost the same as BBS and are easier to get) so that is more the thought of the "secret" to the woodshop.

And yes, until standing on it or looking at it, often it is hard to know, but if you have been around enough, you would be able to work it out from the feel of the wood.

At this stage (without having anything other than graphic side pics to look at), I really don't know.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2021, 12:20:04 AM »
Not bbs
listen to cosmic psychos

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2021, 06:38:07 AM »
After watching that teaser I’m into it. The name is like every other new company coming outs name. But fuck it. It’s better than freedome and the graphic with the black gloss flowers on black background with color flowers in the center looks cool.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2021, 07:57:31 AM »
After watching that teaser I’m into it. The name is like every other new company coming outs name. But fuck it. It’s better than freedome and the graphic with the black gloss flowers on black background with color flowers in the center looks cool.

Good call on that board.

Futurama called it, all the good names are taken. It's only a matter of time before poiwu&& skateboards.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2021, 09:37:55 AM »
Sammy Winter and Dennis Durant = take my fucking money!  NW distribution please, calling 35th ave stat

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
props for starting a board brand during these times. i thought getting hard goods was incredibly difficult rn? maybe that's not the case in australia

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
When a company isn't upfront about the wood they use, is it fair to assume it's not...great?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2021, 10:41:30 AM »
better give ricky o a guest board
Brah…well done. Underrated post

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »
this promo got me so juiced to skate. want to support them. hope I can find one in the states eventually. 👀
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:52 PM »
props for starting a board brand during these times. i thought getting hard goods was incredibly difficult rn? maybe that's not the case in australia

All the major / decent brands are still in short supply here in Australia, but some stock is slowly filtering in and filling some skate shop shelves.  I say some because some shops have some stock (not much compared to US shops), but other shops have none, exactly zero stock of most major brands, so the market for the smaller or less noticed brands is getting a lot more market share around here right now.

I think the difference is the specific pro brands that are made, printed and sealed overseas and coming in much smaller lots, compared to the blank boards coming in container loads and then being heat transferred for whatever brand the local distribution company wants to put on them.

Not questioning what wood is being used, but it seems almost every other second tier / major distributor here has their own heat transfer machine and is doing their own graphics for their own brands or even licensed pro brands.

Nicki

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All the major / decent brands are still in short supply here in Australia, but some stock is slowly filtering in and filling some skate shop shelves.  I say some because some shops have some stock (not much compared to US shops), but other shops have none, exactly zero stock of most major brands, so the market for the smaller or less noticed brands is getting a lot more market share around here right now.

I think the difference is the specific pro brands that are made, printed and sealed overseas and coming in much smaller lots, compared to the blank boards coming in container loads and then being heat transferred for whatever brand the local distribution company wants to put on them.

Not questioning what wood is being used, but it seems almost every other second tier / major distributor here has their own heat transfer machine and is doing their own graphics for their own brands or even licensed pro brands.

Well that is interesting, sneaky stuff.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2021, 08:56:22 PM »
i really dig this team. the aesthetic is very "aussie" from the name and idk if thats the set logo but the black board Bo Reid is riding seems to look clean and good imo

its a shame things never worked out state side for Durrant but he's on the aus adidas program, just had a kid and seems to be happy raising his family and skating in australia. Bo reid had his introduction to the States from LE skateboards which seems to be around but none of the original riders are still on (sinner/tave/tancowny)

i messaged them (DM) on insta about getting boards to China where I live and they said its def possible as Aus isnt too far from Asia
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

PointyNipples

• Rep: 1
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2021, 09:41:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Clicked for Kurt Winter, stayed for Sammy

What ever happened to Kurt Winter? Or am I imagining that name?
[close]

Kurt winter was pro for Hype! no?

Got me thinking of Mike Barker now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is all down to supply and demand, and of course it works out much cheaper to print the boards as needed in country than to ship them all in and be left with unwanted stock.  From what I have heard, it happens in a lot of other places too, eg South America seems to have a lot more licensed product from one of the main woodshops in Mexico, as per a certain instagram account that may now be gone, but it wasn't a secret or sneaky as such, and it was good quality wood.

When good old well known brands start putting all their stuff on cheap crap wood for some countries, but I hear they still have the good stuff in USA, then we have a problem, but that brand is not worth mentioning here and has nothing to do with the Poolroom brand, their distributor or any of their other brands.

Nicki

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 11:25:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It is all down to supply and demand, and of course it works out much cheaper to print the boards as needed in country than to ship them all in and be left with unwanted stock.  From what I have heard, it happens in a lot of other places too, eg South America seems to have a lot more licensed product from one of the main woodshops in Mexico, as per a certain instagram account that may now be gone, but it wasn't a secret or sneaky as such, and it was good quality wood.

When good old well known brands start putting all their stuff on cheap crap wood for some countries, but I hear they still have the good stuff in USA, then we have a problem, but that brand is not worth mentioning here and has nothing to do with the Poolroom brand, their distributor or any of their other brands.

It sure is more complex than just x brand = x wood (which is what I always thought) and you are quite the font of knowledge, thanks for the interesting info. And seems covid has made things even more diverse when companies are trying to make hardgoods. I appreciate when companies are transparent and open with their decks, whether from US, Mexico or China etc - but obviously lots of companies hide this info from their customers. Sure thankful for Slap info on manufacturers/woodshops and expert like you to shine some light on the whats what and how things work. Cheers.

Btw - i have to alos thank you for your shoetrecher mod idea to push out the big toe. Genius. I mod my shoestretcher and its a total game changer to get the perfect fit - Big thanks!

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2021, 01:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Clicked for Kurt Winter, stayed for Sammy

What ever happened to Kurt Winter? Or am I imagining that name?
[close]

Kurt winter was pro for Hype! no?
[close]

Got me thinking of Mike Barker now.

Randomly saw him at a HUF demo in NYC chillin. Had a quiet fan out moment

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2021, 06:29:42 AM »
I happened on a Poolroom deck in a shop on a day out today.

Clutch wood with the stamps (letter and number) in the top between the bolts, felt good, comfortable to stand on and I would recommend for people who like the more mellow concaves of boards like OG Baker and some of the others mentioned by people who get them like DOA and similar US brands.